Buddha + jesus = Same person

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Superfly4000
I was just reading Joseph Campbells "Hero with a Thousand Faces" and i noticed that the stories for the Buddha and Jesus CXhrist are basically the same. Does this mean that the religions were somewhat influenced by one another? Or could it possibly mean that the same force that created Jesus, also created Buddha.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Superfly4000
I was just reading Joseph Campbells "Hero with a Thousand Faces" and i noticed that the stories for the Buddha and Jesus CXhrist are basically the same. Does this mean that the religions were somewhat influenced by one another? Or could it possibly mean that the same force that created Jesus, also created Buddha.

I believe;

Jesus left home and traveled to Tibet, and learned the teachings of Buddha. He then returned home the try and free his people from the Romans.

debbiejo
I've seen a Jesus/Buddha statues....many Christians get very very offended by even the thought of it.....

finti
many christians get offended of people thinking

Atlantis001

debbiejo
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Here is something interesting :

Chrestos (Greek), applied by the Greeks as a title of respect equivalent to "the worthy." Chrestes meant an interpreter of oracles. These usages were taken over by the Gnostic schools of Greek, and Jew out of which Christianity largely sprang, and there is abundant evidence to be found among the early Christian writers and the Gnostics themselves that the adherents originally called themselves Chrestians.

I seems that the word christ have PAGAN Greek origins...

Chrestes was a very popular word for "Good doer" kind of thing in Rome during the time of Paul.

Atlantis001
Originally posted by debbiejo
Chrestes was a very popular word for "Good doer" kind of thing in Rome during the time of Paul.

It is logical since Roman culture was greatly influenced by the Greeks.

Shakyamunison

mr.smiley
I don't see a lot of resemblence other than if your talking about the Gnostic Jesus.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by mr.smiley
I don't see a lot of resemblence other than if your talking about the Gnostic Jesus.

I am sorry, but I don't know the difference between normal Jesus and Gnostic Jesus.

All incarnations are unique and individual, it is the guiding entity that is the same.

This may not make sense to you, if you do not understand what I believe about incarnations. Most people think of reincarnation as "my life, my past life, my future life", I believe this way; I am here now and one day I will die, my life has a beginning and an end. I am the incarnation of my entity, my entity is not my soul. I am a flower on the tree which is my entity. My entity has many flowers, each one with it's own beauty (life). My entity grows by living lives here, and I am just a part of my entity's growth. I share all the karma, of all of the flowers on the tree that is my entity.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I believe;

The Buddha entity is an entity that has reached full growth and does not need to return to this world. But this entity returns anyway, to help all of the other entities make it to this point of awareness. Shakyamuni (Buddha) was the incarnation of this entity and so was Jesus.

I've heard that...I've also heard that it's like Masters that have ascended, but some return to help the rest...kinda point the way...Some think Jesus was such a person.

Atlantis001
I believe;

The Buddha entity is an entity that has reached full growth and does not need to return to this world. But this entity returns anyway, to help all of the other entities make it to this point of awareness. Shakyamuni (Buddha) was the incarnation of this entity and so was Jesus.

I know what you mean, thats the way I believe they could be the same, but not the same person I mean. Christos is the one who comes to enlighten the mankind, thats the same thing as boddhisattva, a being who reached full-growth, or is near it, and came back to enlighten the others, like you said.

Atlantis001

mr.smiley
Had I not done a lot of study on Jesus and the whole mythos surronding him I probably would have belived it,but as of now I just can't.

Bardock42
The Correct Title would be Jesus = Buddha...since Jesus + Buddha = Same Person either means that Jesus and Buddha together are something called "Same Person" or theat one of them equals 0 so that adding hi to the other would not change anything...therefore it would be the same person.....

Superfly4000
It would make since if jesus went to tibet. Isn't there a twenty year gap in the jesus story?

Besides this, if any of you have read Joseph Campells books, what do you guys think of his ideas?

mr.smiley
I've read some interesting theories about Jesus going to Tibet,but it makes more sense that Jesus never exisited,or at least in a historical context.

Atlantis001
Originally posted by mr.smiley
I've read some interesting theories about Jesus going to Tibet,but it makes more sense that Jesus never exisited,or at least in a historical context.

Yeah, thats something that would explain things like many very specific similarities in things that Jesus did that are interpreted in a symbolic way that coincide exatly with other teachings in other places. I mean why everything he does should have a meaning, there are many things he did the exact same way other mythical figures did, it will be extreme coincidence. It will be much easier to explain those things if he was a mythologic character too, based on those other characters.
In the other hand, I say there is some facts that are difficult to ignore, and to say that evreything was inveted is hard to believe, but there is the possibility that maybe those similarities that make Jesus seems irreal could be intentional. He could have actually made some of what he did, because he wanted people to think of him like being the messiah. It could be like marketing, and Jesus was intelligent for what I know.

debbiejo
It would make since if jesus went to tibet. Isn't there a twenty year gap in the jesus story?

Besides this, if any of you have read Joseph Campells books, what do you guys think of his ideas?

Yes there is a gap....and the years could be filled in...

http://www.tombofjesus.com/news/FAQ/

Adam_PoE

Buddha died 483 years before Jesus was born. Therefore, it is possible that Buddhism may have influenced Christianity, but not for Christianity to have influenced Buddhism. Moreover, the only conceiveable way Buddha and Jesus could be the same person is if Buddha was reincarnated as Jesus.

Imperial_Samura
It wouldn't surprise me, many religions in some way take characteristics from ones that have come before, either to validate themselves, to ease and aid in conversions and so on. Adaptability is important for a religions longevity. But I do not believe the two historic individuals, that being "Buddha" and "Jesus" are one the the same. Although there is the whole title aspect. The name Buddha seems to be more of a title given to certain individuals in that religion, just as Jesus ended up with "Christ" tacked on the end.

debbiejo

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Buddha died 483 years before Jesus was born. Therefore, it is possible that Buddhism may have influenced Christianity, but not for Christianity to have influenced Buddhism. Moreover, the only conceiveable way Buddha and Jesus could be the same person is if Buddha was reincarnated as Jesus.

Which is impossible. By becoming a Buddha, he has broken the cycle of birth.

Anyway, I believe Jesus was thought by the Buddhists, but equaly I believe that his message was taken out of context. Other segregated group at the time were Jews - there was no group of people which didnt believe in Sole creator. I believe Jews have written the Bible by the teachings of Jesus and called it Christianity.

Atlantis001

Shakyamunison

Atlantis001
Yes, it is from buddhism, but it was adopted from hinduism originally... and what could possibly came from the Aryan people religion.

Koala MeatPie
WHAT!? How is the life of jesus even REMOTELY the same as Budda''s!?!?

debbiejo
Their philosophy of course...

Mindship
Joseph Campbell's point was that there are similarities in cross-cultural myths partly because person from country A traveled to country B, learned B's stories than brought them back to A.

However, he also believed these myths had commonalities because they reflected deep, universal themes in human being. The Hero's Journey (life-death-rebirth to a higher plane) reflects no more and no less than the process of human development: from the "ordinary" (the child "dies" to be reborn as an adolescent; the adolescent "dies" to become an adult), to the extraordinary (the adult ego "dies" to become transcendent spirit).

Though Jesus could well have traveled to Tibet to learn what Buddha knew, he didn't have to, because both underwent the Hero's Journey. Both "died" as egoic beings to be reborn as spiritual beings.

stop_sign
I believe;

Jesus left home and traveled to Tibet, and learned the teachings of Buddha. He then returned home the try and free his people from the Romans.

uhm well according to the bible he did no such things and buddha and Jesus are nothing alike if the bible is correct. wink but who knows maybe the bible is incorrect

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by stop_sign
uhm well according to the bible he did no such things and buddha and Jesus are nothing alike if the bible is correct. wink but who knows maybe the bible is incorrect

The bible doesn't say.

debbiejo
But other writings do.

Koala MeatPie
Their philosophy of course...

Buddha: Life is suffering, Everything is suffering, Separate yourselves from vanity, possessions Love and everything.

Jesus: Love everybody as I have loved you.

Uhhhh, Similar, not really.

At all.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
Buddha: Life is suffering, Everything is suffering, Separate yourselves from vanity, possessions Love and everything.

Jesus: Love everybody as I have loved you.

Uhhhh, Similar, not really.

At all. Jesus taught more then whats in the bible, and the bible for that fact has been manipulated....Still in many of the parables you can see the influence. Like "The Peal of Great Price"

Atlantis001
There were many similarities, even the miracles Jesus did, Buddha did too, like walking in the water for what I remember. There were some histories that are very similar too. But I do not think that they were the same person, but their history came from the same source.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by stop_sign

Actually isn't there a rather large gap in the bible about what Jesus was doing? It kind of goes from Jesus being born>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jesus prophesying about his God. What happened in the >>>>>>>> bit? Was he just being a carpenter, or was he out doing something more, like travelling around?

debbiejo
Yeah, the gap in his age is from age 12 to 30 years old, if I remember right.........

Where was he? Where's Jesus.. shifty

Imperial_Samura
Yeah, the gap in his age is from age 12 to 30 years old, if I remember right.........

Where was he? Where's Jesus.. shifty

With Carmon Sandiago?

Still, it wasn't uncommon for religious figure to travel and learn from others - just look at Mani and his chief disciples. Some of them apparently went far afield and encountered Buddhism and might have taken some of it on board, and it also assimilated aspects of Christianity.

debbiejo
Look!! I found him... eek!

http://www.tombofjesus.com/news/FAQ/

Imperial_Samura
If I survived Crucifixion I to would go to India.

leonheartmm
buddha and his teachings are way cooler than jesus.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by leonheartmm
buddha and his teachings are way cooler than jesus.

But with the knowledge of Buddhism, I read the teachings of Jesus and see the Lotus sutra in the words he spoke.

leonheartmm
yup but theres also a lot of contradictory hate crap in his word, unlike buddha.

Shakyamunison
yup but theres also a lot of contradictory hate crap in his word, unlike buddha.

Jesus was a revolutionary, fighting against the Roman rule. 300 years later, he won.

leonheartmm
yes but was he a messenger, let alone a son of god? i dont think so

Shakyamunison
yes but was he a messenger, let alone a son of god? i dont think so

Messenger? However, we are all sons and daughters of God.

Koala MeatPie
Jesus taught more then whats in the bible, and the bible for that fact has been manipulated....Still in many of the parables you can see the influence. Like "The Peal of Great Price"

Little Known fact #547

Jesus Went to study In Tibit as a buddist monk.

Makedde
I think Jesus and Buddha are the same person, they are just interpreted differently.

lil bitchiness

The missing years of Jesus' life are often said he has spent in India learning Buddhism.

I have quoted before the great similarities between what Jesus said and what Buddha said.

Besides, I believe Jesus was one of many Buddha's.

a) He understood the impermanance of his body, and he did not kill or curse anyone who has kicked or beaten him before his death.

b) When he said he died for our sins I believe this is extreamly missquoted - in Buddhism when we feel suffering or pain or similar we say the following -

''This is what the suffering feels like - there are people in the world who suffer more than I at this point.
May all beings be free of suffering while I am suffering''

So, technically, I believe Paul and Peter made religion. Jesus was a simple teacher - passing the message of peace he has learned from the monks in India.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.