If God created the universe, who created God?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

masterbruce
Or did he just happen to pop out of nothing, which is essentially what the big bang theory is?

Many religious people often say "our world is too perfect to have come through random chance, it must've been created by a higher being, such as God"

My line of logic is "then this God must've been too perfect to just have come through random chance as well, and he must've been created by a higher being as well"

as you see, this leads to a circular argument

finti
god created him self by pulling the handkerchief away

debbiejo
^^ laughing out loud

Actually...there is a theory like the one you mention...no not you finti....Masterbruce....

Atlantis001

masterbruce
Atlantis, the problem is that religious people DON'T ask who created God

Shakyamunison
There is no beginning, time is an illusion.

debbiejo
Maybe god is a great big circle...no beginning, no end...just round... confused

PLEEEEASSSSSEEE..Somebody tell me....cause I don't know.....

Storm
If god could exist without a cause then so can the universe. That is, if god can be self-caused (or exist without a cause), and then have caused the universe, so, is the argument that the universe may be self-caused (or exist without a cause), and therefore be not caused by god, equally valid.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Storm
If god could exist without a cause then so can the universe. That is, if god can be self-caused (or exist without a cause), and then have caused the universe, so, is the argument that the universe may be self-caused (or exist without a cause), and therefore be not caused by god, equally valid.

The universe = God. In other words, the universe is the body and God is the mind.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The universe = God. In other words, the universe is the body and God is the mind.

Yeah, like that.....and the reason for it is to experience all there is....and we are parts of it.....

God =me=you=universe=visible=invisible.....All there is.....

Bardock42

Lunchtime doubly so.....

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Bardock42
Lunchtime doubly so.....

What the f**k?

Bardock42
What the f**k?

What?

Shakyamunison
What?

I said, WTF?

In other words, what?

Atlantis001
Originally posted by Storm

Maybe thats the key to understand this. The usual concept of cause, and effect when thinking in questions like this seems to be self-contradictory, so maybe we should rethink cause and effect to have an answer. Maybe cause, and effect are not always as we think of it.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Maybe thats the key to understand this. The usual concept of cause, and effect when thinking in questions like this seems to be self-contradictory, so maybe we should rethink cause and effect to have an answer. Maybe cause, and effect are not always as we think of it.

There is one aspect of cause and effect in Buddhism that is hard to understand, cause and effect are simultaneous and the same phenomenon.

Bardock42
I said, WTF?

In other words, what?

I know..and I said What?.....What the f**k?

Shakyamunison
I know..and I said What?.....What the f**k?

Time is space, so where is the beginning of space, then go two mm before that.

Evil Dead
One thing is for certain........our current laws of physics have not always been applicable. The big bang theory (I still have my doubts on this one) is proof. The laws of conservation for both energy and matter could not always have been true........because at one point both had to be created.

Since the laws of physics have not always been applicable.......but appear to be applicable today this raises two questions.

1. Are we merely at a stable stage in the universe? Is it not possible that at any point in time these laws could become moot again, allowing for creation of matter and energy?

2. Are these laws even true to begin with? Is it not possible that we humans simply do not have enough knowledge of our universe to know how to create energy, how to create matter or how to do anything else contradictory to our current laws.

debbiejo
True.

xmarksthespot
I always thought at some point the universe would stop expanding and start contracting until all matter and energy was condensed into a singularity again. Time would not exist so there's no point wondering how long the universe would be in this state. Then at some point a new Big Bang would occur, although since time does not exist in between the Big Bang would occur at the exact moment the universe compressed to a singularity. The end of the old universe causes the start of the new universe. Endless cycle.
I don't know if this is supported by any current physics knowledge.

Atlantis001

Shakyamunison

Atlantis001
What did you mean by "too close to call" ? Anyway the universe is accelerating, and its acceleration increasing each time, by what physicists call dark energy, which is the energy associated to dark matter, this matter must have some type of anti-gravitational force which is causing the expansion of the universe.

Shakyamunison
What did you mean by "too close to call" ? Anyway the universe is accelerating, and its acceleration increasing each time, by what physicists call dark energy, which is the energy associated to dark matter, this matter must have some type of anti-gravitational force which is causing the expansion of the universe.

My information might be out of date; I read a called... Sorry I can't find it in my book shelf (I must have lent it to someone). Einstein before he died tried to calculate the curvature of the universe and found that it was almost curved and almost flat.

Jury
According to the Bible, and as a true Christian... I believe that our Father in heaven created everything. He has infinite beginning and infinite end.

finti
which you aint

Imperial_Samura
For some reason I have an image of a little Italian man with spectacles working away in his God worship, custom making Gods for every person, purpose and civilisation. Money back guarantee if your not 100% satisfied with the religion... but then the shop is never there when one goes back, so no refund is ever given... And the Italian man would be called Basil, just to distant himself from the whole Pinocchio thing.

Though seriously I wonder why, if there is/was a God why anyone would have created it. What kind of thing would create a God, other then mankind of course, what with our need for one at times.

debbiejo
But I only know Gepetto.......I cook with Basil....maybe Basil is more special then I thought.

I think all the energy got together and decided it was bored, and decided to try something different...so we all decided to split away from ourselves and become something else, just for the fun of it.

ska57
God was not created -- He is outside of time and beyond human comprehension -- He has no beginning, and He has no ending.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by ska57
God was not created -- He is outside of time and beyond human comprehension -- He has no beginning, and He has no ending.

Yes there is no beginning and there is no end.

Majora's Mask
Yes there is no beginning and there is no end.

That's not what he meant. God just always existed. if he had a beginning, he would also have an end. He would have been a creation like the rest of us, which he isn't. In other words, God is eternal, the first and the last. cool

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Majora's Mask
That's not what he meant. God just always existed. if he had a beginning, he would also have an end. He would have been a creation like the rest of us, which he isn't. In other words, God is eternal, the first and the last. cool

Like I said God has no beginning and no end.

Majora's Mask
If God was created, then there must have been a higher being who created God. However, I think it would be pretty difficult to be a higher being than someone who is All-Powerful, All-knowing, and able to be everywhere at once.

majjacet
god has no beginning or end

majjacet
its beyond our understanding

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by majjacet
its beyond our understanding

Think of it like this: Now is the same now that has always been and alway will be, like a room, things come and go, but the room remains the same.

ska57
I concur

finti
not necessarily

debbiejo
Think of it like this: Now is the same now that has always been and alway will be, like a room, things come and go, but the room remains the same.

Originally posted by finti
not necessarily

OH...good lets get into some abstract right hemisphere thinking....I love these metaphors... big grin

finti
rooms can be changed/altered

debbiejo
True, but it was an interesting analogy...But the only way a room changes is if YOU alter it yourself....otherwise things move in and out of the room, and the room remains the same.

Atlantis001
With or Without God this question will remain. Its not God existence that creates this problem. Ok.. no need to quote what I said in a song.

finti
but everything is in motion nothing stays the same

debbiejo
Well things are in flex, but I guess it would be interesting to see what is meant by room.

Shakyamunison
but everything is in motion nothing stays the same

Hi

The room anlogy has it's flows, but think about it this way; everything is in motion nothing stays the same except nothingness.

debbiejo
Oh No.......... blink big grin reading

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
Oh No.......... blink big grin reading

Yes nothingness evil face

debbiejo, nothingness eek!

Atlantis001
But motion itself is always the same, right !? confused

EDITED

Shakyamunison
But motion itself stay is always the same, right !? confused

Sorry, can you restate that?

Screaminations
my brain writhes with pain as I try to wrap my finite mind around such infinite truths. blowup

finti
and how do we know what nothingness is

debbiejo
Uh OH....just opened Pandora's Box.... blink

finti
jack in the box

debbiejo
Hmmmmmmmmmm...boxes...interesting boxes....except...with Jack, he pops out.. eek!

Shakyamunison
and how do we know what nothingness is

I use the word nothingness to describe the direction were most of the real words exists. Dark matter is not dark and it is not over there. Every Atom extends into the nothingness so that only 20% is visible to us, the rest extends into other dimensions that we can not fathom. Nothingness is not empty.

finti
yeah but what is really nothingness

Shakyamunison
yeah but what is really nothingness

If you were a two dimensional being and all you knew was forward, backward, left and right. what would be up or down?

finti
the places you didnt know

debbiejo
Or couldn't perceive with your 5 senses....But are still as real.

Shakyamunison
Or couldn't perceive with your 5 senses....But are still as real.

We are "flat landers". We live in a 4 dimensional world that exists in a 10 dimensional universe. We can't point in the direction of 4 and up.

So, the nothingness is not empty. smile

finti
so what is nothingness

Shakyamunison
so what is nothingness

wallbashranting

gp christ loves
nothing is something that man cant comprehend himself close your eyes think of nothing you think of a black empty space but that in it self is still something god was and is and always will be he is infinity and on going he is a question that can not be answered but must be believed through faith no matter how difficult that may be

gp christ loves
faith now there is what we need to discuss what it means to truly have faith

Atlantis001

Shakyamunison

finti
so.............. big grin

Atlantis001
Nothingness is just a word I use. One day, if we are able to survive, we will understand what this nothingness is, and define the nothingness. So, there is what I'm talking about, and there is what you are talking about, and they are not the same thing.

No problem with that... we can just reach it indirectly, so we must use a word to talk about it... as you did.

debbiejo
Maybe we should change to word to something else.

finti
yeah not nothingness

debbiejo
Nothingness can be confusing....because when I first heard it, I thought of nothingness.....and to me there is no such thing as nothingness...If a definition thing....

think of a new word. big grin

finti
Nottingham

debbiejo
laughing out loud

OK...Nottinghams is full of living subatomic particles....

Shakyamunison
laughing out loud

OK...Nottinghams is full of living subatomic particles....

Nottinghams laughing

debbiejo
OK...the vote is in....new word....Nottinghams....Now we have something to visualize...

finti
so where is Robin of Locksley

debbiejo
He's part of Nottingham too.....we all are.

finti
no

debbiejo
Yes you are.....you're in Nottingham too....You can't get away...It is your Destiny.....It's got you....right by the Nottingham...just like us all.

finti
i am destiny

debbiejo
So.....you're Nottingham?....Are we all in you?

Shakyamunison
Yes you are.....you're in Nottingham too....You can't get away...It is your Destiny.....It's got you....right by the Nottingham...just like us all.

Stop talking about my Nottingham. laughing

finti
Notthingham is west

debbiejo
It west of the Forest......filled with living things....quite beautiful you know.....I've been there.

Atlantis001

finti
actually Notthingham is sout of the forrest

debbiejo
I said west of the forrest....am I wrong?...Is it east?....I just know the walk there is nice....FORESTS.....filled with lovely things.

finti
it is south of the forrest

debbiejo
Have you been there too?...It is a beautiful magical place.....

Atlantis001
Shall we complete three pages off topic !?

Shakyamunison
Shall we complete three pages off topic !?

They are not listening to you... cool

Atlantis001
Perhaps...

Shakyamunison
Perhaps...

Then again, non of use are listening, just reading... laughing

debbiejo
laughing laughing out loud

OK...what's the topic again Atlantis....

finti
topic was Nothing Ness the mystical younger brother of Elliot and Loch Ness

Shakyamunison
topic was Nothing Ness the mystical younger brother of Elliot and Loch Ness laughing out loud

debbiejo
topic was Nothing Ness the mystical younger brother of Elliot and Loch Ness

Loch Ness....as in monster????...creature of the dark scary swamp? Where the wild things grow?

Shakyamunison
Loch Ness....as in monster????...creature of the dark scary swamp? Where the wild things grow?

I think you must be confused, I think that's Elliot Ness. laughing

debbiejo
No....It's Nothing-Ness.....hahahahahahaha....

Atlantis001
No... the topic was not nothingness it was If God created the universe, who created God.. I think... maybe we should discuss that "What was the topic ?"

Atlantis001
Heya ! Three pages !

Shakyamunison
What about three pages?

big grin

debbiejo
Good record.......OK...who created god?????...His Mum?..his mommy....the lady next door.......Mrs. God?....lot's of goddettes.....

Little gods everywhere.....OH....I've seen them....they are everywhere...We are all parts.....and parts is parts....

Atlantis001
What about three pages?

big grin

You have not been listening huh !?

DarkC
Originally posted by masterbruce
Or did he just happen to pop out of nothing, which is essentially what the big bang theory is?

Many religious people often say "our world is too perfect to have come through random chance, it must've been created by a higher being, such as God"

My line of logic is "then this God must've been too perfect to just have come through random chance as well, and he must've been created by a higher being as well"

as you see, this leads to a circular argument
The big bang created him.

Atlantis001
Originally posted by DarkC
The big bang created him.

Cool... so God is like the four types of interactions that exist in physics like gravitational force, eletromagnetic force, weak nuclear force and strong nuclear force. I would think in God like a more fundamental concept, not just dependent on physics, this way it would be possible to even write a equation for God.

WhiteSnowAngel
Who created God ? iThen if there is no God or anything then how it would just be a blank place, well how did the blank space get there ?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WhiteSnowAngel
Who created God ? iThen if there is no God or anything then how it would just be a blank place, well how did the blank space get there ?

Time is an illusion, the "Blank Space" laughing just is...
There is no beginning and there is no end.
Time is space...

svnthdysthsbbth
Good Question!

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Rev 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Rev 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

He always has existed!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by svnthdysthsbbth
Good Question!

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Rev 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Rev 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

He always has existed!

It is simpler than that. Time is space and God is everything. Where is the beginning of a ring?

finti
yeah right roll eyes (sarcastic)

Shakyamunison
yeah right roll eyes (sarcastic)

Check this out: so have you, the atoms in your body were cooked in stars billions of years ago and the energy that made these atom has always been here and always will be here.

finti
and you have a certainty of 100% proof of that

debbiejo
and you have a certainty of 100% proof of that

Well shaky does have a drinking problem....must be 100% vodka.

gp christ loves
has no one heard of faith just because you cant see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist god was and is god always will be he created everything
made it to his own liking and said it was good have faith in what you can not see and you will be able to do all sorts of things

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by gp christ loves
has no one heard of faith just because you cant see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist god was and is god always will be he created everything
made it to his own liking and said it was good have faith in what you can not see and you will be able to do all sorts of things

Faith is good. Blind faith leads to suffering. Blind faith allows a person to be used by others. Blind faith can lead to evil.

Shakyamunison
Well shaky does have a drinking problem....must be 100% vodka.

I do not have a drrrrinking proobbllllleeeeeemmmmmmbeer

laughing

gp christ loves
im not talking about haveing blind faith the faith i have comes from the bible

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by gp christ loves
im not talking about haveing blind faith the faith i have comes from the bible

I am glad that you do not have blind faith. Also, your faith can not be coming from the bible, faith is something you have in something else. The bible maybe the foundation of your faith, but faith comes from you.

finti
I thought the faith came from you regarding the stuff in the bible

Phoenix
I feel that God's outside the universe and outside our concept of time and creation

gp christ loves
the faith comes from believing the stuff in the bible not just regarding it

debbiejo
Originally posted by svnthdysthsbbth
Good Question!

He always has existed!

OK....Adonis, Osiris, Dionysus also called themselves the bread of life...Osiris and others believed in eating him(bread) to be as apart of him..an to participate in his resurrection..Attis was sacrificed at the spring equinox and rose again on the third day, when he became god and ascended to heaven...Like Orpheus and Heracles he harrowed in hell. Like Mithra and other solar gods his birthday is nine months later at the winter solstice because the day of his death was also the day of his cyclic re-conception..

Orsiris and Tammus were called Good Shepherd, Sarapis was Lord of Death and King of Glory..Mithra and Heracles and Light of the World, Sun of Righteousness, Dionysus was King of Kings, God of Gods, Helios the Enlightened One and the Logos...Vishnu and Mithra were Son of Man and Messiah...Adonis was the Lord and the Bridegroom...MotAleyin was the Lamb of God...and Savior...

WILL THE REAL GOD PLEASE STAND UP...

Picture of Zeus.

KingDubya
This question is one of the most difficult question to answer, but may actually have one of the simplest answers that we probably already know, but we think, "Naw, that can't be it." Or maybe it is somewhere hidden deep in our minds and we have no way of figuring out what it is and when someone actually figures it out, they will probably go insane from all the controversial information flooding into their mind due to that discovery (a theory based on "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"wink.

Atlantis001
No problem with god always existing, time is limited its not trancendental, time has to have a begin at the "time" of the Big Bang, there was no "before" the Big bang, time was not existent "before" the big bang... there is no sense in saying "before the Big bang" its from general relativity.. uncle Einstein always said that smile

I think that God itself is beyond time, and space, he exist in all points of time, and space, and even outside them... so in every moment at which time was existent, god existed... so he always existed.

Shakyamunison
No problem with god always existing, time is limited its not trancendental, time has to have a begin at the "time" of the Big Bang, there was no "before" the Big bang, time was not existent "before" the big bang... there is no sense in saying "before the Big bang" its from general relativity.. uncle Einstein always said that smile

I think that God itself is beyond time, and space, he exist in all points of time, and space, and even outside them... so in every moment at which time was existent, god existed... so he always existed.

Black holes are outside of time but they had a before. I believe that the last big bang was just that, the last of an endless number of big bangs and big crunches. Yes, we can't look beyond it, but that's only because we are in the universe.

KingDubya
Time. So complex, yet so simple. We cannot explain it, yet we have made units of time to measure how long we can do different activities. Why does time exist? Why does anything exist? Why are there so many different religions if only one god exists? Which god is the one that truly exists? If that god is the only true god, why did we come up with the others?

These are a small percentage of the questions that float through my head all the time. There are no easy answers to any and to most there are none. All of those questions are interrelated and if we can answer just one of them correctly, we may be able to figure out the rest. If you have started to think as I do and question every last detail of our universe and our existence, I only have one thing to say. Welcome to my world...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by KingDubya
Time. So complex, yet so simple. We cannot explain it, yet we have made units of time to measure how long we can do different activities. Why does time exist? Why does anything exist? Why are there so many different religions if only one god exists? Which god is the one that truly exists? If that god is the only true god, why did we come up with the others?

These are a small percentage of the questions that float through my head all the time. There are no easy answers to any and to most there are none. All of those questions are interrelated and if we can answer just one of them correctly, we may be able to figure out the rest. If you have started to think as I do and question every last detail of our universe and our existence, I only have one thing to say. Welcome to my world...

The only true God is the God of the Cylons.

KingDubya
The only true God is the God of the Cylons.
blink
Who is the God of the Cylons?

Atlantis001
maybe Zeus... since the Cylons are greek.... who knows

Shakyamunison
blink
Who is the God of the Cylons?

The new Battlestar Galactica.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

I'm a big fan.

KingDubya
Battlestar... not as good a show as Stargate SG-1 though, which tries to explain the wonders of the ancient egyptians by saying aliens did it.

finti
any good???

well Stargate SG-1 was a poor show, in my opinion, really poor.the film was cool though

Phoenix
This question is one of the most difficult question to answer, but may actually have one of the simplest answers that we probably already know, but we think, "Naw, that can't be it." Or maybe it is somewhere hidden deep in our minds and we have no way of figuring out what it is and when someone actually figures it out, they will probably go insane from all the controversial information flooding into their mind due to that discovery (a theory based on "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"wink.

hehe, who created god = 42! big grin ((I love Hitchhikers big grin ))

Phoenix

That's a great way of putting it! big grin That's basically summed up how I feel big grin

Phoenix

I suppose, if you think about it, could time be a human construct? Was there any concept of time before humans came along and started measuring it...?

Adam_PoE
If the Universe is subject to efficient causation, then God is also subject to efficient causation.

If it is possible for God to have always existed, then it is also possible for the Universe to have always existed.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
If the Universe is subject to efficient causation, then God is also subject to efficient causation.

If it is possible for God to have always existed, then it is also possible for the Universe to have always existed.

Thank you! Now take it one step further, the universe is God. In other words, the universe is alive. big grin

Fëanor
The christian-judeo/muslim concept of God does not exist. He/She/It is a concept created by man to explain things that could not be explained before the advent of scientific research. And even with scientific research, we have yet to breach the birth canal of knowledge to fully understand what thoughts, ideas, or knowledge we do have.

And our belief in God is a thought ingrained into our minds from those that wish to control the masses throughout the ages. So the beginning of God is that spark of imagination from some person who first thought it.

Shakyamunison

Deano

Shakyamunison
What the f**k?

Deano
it's all an illusion It is an apparent contradiction that the earth and the cosmos was supposed to have been created by a loving God and yet what we call Nature is a bloody battle-ground in which one animal's survival is dependent on another's, often grotesque, demise.

The 'universe' was a figment of our conditioned imagination, it was only part of our reality because we believed it was. The universe was also far smaller than people perceived even within our illusion of space and distance. 'Look at the sky in a planetarium and it seems so vast, yet it only goes as high as the ceiling.'

Deano
What the f**k?

in some respects that could be truesmile

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Deano
it's all an illusion It is an apparent contradiction that the earth and the cosmos was supposed to have been created by a loving God and yet what we call Nature is a bloody battle-ground in which one animal's survival is dependent on another's, often grotesque, demise.

The 'universe' was a figment of our conditioned imagination, it was only part of our reality because we believed it was. The universe was also far smaller than people perceived even within our illusion of space and distance. 'Look at the sky in a planetarium and it seems so vast, yet it only goes as high as the ceiling.'

You are a little off base. The world we understand is an illusion, but there is a real world. If you think the real word does not exist, then you do not exist.

laughing

Deano
i just bought the idea forward, as i find it all very interesting

perhaps you should read more into itbig grin

Shakyamunison
i just bought the idea forward, as i find it all very interesting

perhaps you should read more into itbig grin

What are you talking about? What do you mean by "perhaps you should read more into it"?

Deano
read more into the subject

btw saying ''If you think the real word does not exist, then you do not exist.''

your a bit off, the concept is thatall matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

i reccommend ' the ancient secret of the flower of life'

and

infinite love is the only truth, everything else is illusion

Shakyamunison
read more into the subject

btw saying ''If you think the real word does not exist, then you do not exist.''

your a bit off, the concept is thatall matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

i reccommend ' the ancient secret of the flower of life'

and

infinite love is the only truth, everything else is illusion

I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about Buddhism. What you are saying is close to Buddhism, but a few of the points are wrong. What is energy? Energy is an illusion, a projection of the real world.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am fully lined up on reading material for about 2 to 3 years. There is a lot of books on Buddhism that I need to find the time to read, and that is of higher importance to me right now. If you would like to read about buddhism, I can recommend a few good books. smile

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>