Classical Music? ANYONE?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Britannia
Is there anyone who likes classical music? If so, who is your favourite composer?

Dr. Octagon
Mendelshon
Paganini
Rachmaninoff
Mozart
Aram Khacathurian

sorry for spelling mistakes

big gay kirk
Da da da DA DA daDA da DA da dada da dada....

Ode to Joy by Beethoven....

My favourite piece however, is Pachelbel's Canon in D.... you should hear my arrangement of it for four harmonicas....

Britannia
Well, the Russians are notorious for having tricky names for spelling! My favourites are Handel and Beethoven. Do you have any particular favourite pieces?

Britannia
Yeah, Pachelbel's Canon is pretty special- his other work, however, is rather..... dull!

Dr. Octagon
Originally posted by Britannia
Well, the Russians are notorious for having tricky names for spelling! My favourites are Handel and Beethoven. Do you have any particular favourite pieces?

i dont really have a favorite piece. i always like Mendelsohns- scherzo from a midsummer night's dream op. 61, no. 1

Britannia
The fact that Beethoven's Ode to Joy is the anthem of the European Union makes me somewhat less able to enjoy it!

Misc_Rose
I really love Pachelbel's Canon, great piece of music.
In terms of composers for films, I like Danny Elfman,Howard Shore and Hans Zimmer. The music for Gladiator and LOTR was simply beautiful. 'Now we are free' and 'Into the west' are incredible.
Also love Andrea Bocelli.
There's so many pieces of classical music I enjoy but I couldn't tell you the composer.

Misc Rose x

Britannia
You seem like a really nice chap Misc_Rose.
Anyone like The Italian Allegro Vivace in Beethoven's Symphony no.4?

Darth Revan
Mendelsohn and Vivaldi are quite nice... I also like the Bach cello suites a lot.

Dr. Octagon
Bach is great too thumb up

Morgoths_Wrath
I dig Tchaikovsky

and some Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach

The Highlord
Beethoven and Bach are great, i LOVE the 9th.S by Beethoven

Britannia
Bethoven's 4th symphony is really quite something...

Bardock42
Pachelbels Canon is great of course...

I like Bach quite a bit, Vivaldi (Baroque in general is pretty decent)
Tschaikowsky's Swan Lake is just amazing
Edvard Grieg is very good
Smetana's Moldau is amazing...

Classical music is great

MildPossession
Dmitri Shostakovich is one of my favourites.

Richard Wagner is amazing, Carl Orff and Dvorak are others I enjoy listening to.

big gay kirk
When I found out about Ode to Joy being the EU anthem, I thought, what would Beethoven say if he was alive today.....

He'd say, "Let me out of this box, I'm suffocating!!"

Britannia
Ha ha! It's a shame really, It's such a nice piece of music but it is sad what is must represent.

Britannia
it*

Piggle Humsy

Britannia
I love that piece of opera (O mia Babbino)! I'll have to give Arvo Part a try, I've never heard his music. Are you a fan of Handel?

Bardock42
Originally posted by big gay kirk
When I found out about Ode to Joy being the EU anthem, I thought, what would Beethoven say if he was alive today.....

He'd say, "Let me out of this box, I'm suffocating!!" Originally posted by Britannia
Ha ha! It's a shame really, It's such a nice piece of music but it is sad what is must represent.

You Brits don't really like the EU now do you?
I am happy that Europe has such a great anthem (not many countries actually can say that they have such a great anthem....a shame that Schillers poem is not the lyrics of the anthem......great together...really....)

Britannia
No, the general feeling is that it is gaining too many of the trappings of statehood. Representing an overt disregard for individual member states' ability to govern themselves.

Piggle Humsy
Originally posted by Britannia
I love that piece of opera (O mia Babbino)! I'll have to give Arvo Part a try, I've never heard his music. Are you a fan of Handel?

I just happened to stumble across Arvo Part one night when I was listening to Classical FM...I couldn't sleep and put my radio on and they were playing Speigel Im Spiegel ... I was absolutely taken by it.. It actually made me a bit teary. embarrasment

Yes I do like Handel. smile
Although I wouldn't be able to name pieces of the top of my head... but I definitely know I do like some of his work.
I am terrible with names of stuff..... embarrasment

Wonderer
Anyone who's a fan of Handel should have their heads checked out. Handel plagarized the music of Bach. How unoriginal is that! Anyway, Handel's music is ultimately just an empty representation of Bach's idiom. Bach is the GOD of music...it's impossible to surpass him.

I also enjoy Beethoven, Mozart, Stockhausen, Mendelsohn and Thaikovski.

Afro Cheese
Classical is ok if your riding in an elevator or waiting for an operator to pick up, but other than that it usually bores me.

Though I do listen to Chopin from time to time. But that's just when I want to chill or have a headache or something.

el_barto
I dont really 'Listen' to classical that much, but every once in a while I do.

Piggle Humsy

Piggle Humsy
Originally posted by Piggle Humsy
Alan Silvestri ~ The Suite

I forgot to put (Forrest Gump OST) after Alan silvestri... embarrasment

anyways.... yes suggestions anyone?

Because I can
I forgot to put (Forrest Gump OST) after Alan silvestri... embarrasment

anyways.... yes suggestions anyone?

Omg!!
ALAN SILVERSTRI!!!
At my other school, pretty much EVERYONE was a music nerd (including me, of course stick out tongue) and for orchestra we played the Forrest Gump Suite!!!
The trumpet part embarrasment (thats me) we played the best bit (one of em,) the bit where he's runing and it gets really fast big grin

La Traviata (best opera)

I CANNOT BELIEVE NON OF YOU HAVE MENTIONED JOHN WILLIAMS!!
as much as most of his music sounds the same, i LOVE him.
Howard Shore Rocks.
So does Holst!!! Jupiter (sweetest song, my other school, again, played it the year i left sad but iwent and heard it smile SOOO GoOD, i cried roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ummm, some of Mozarts pieces drag on, i must say. Wadda bout that composer dude who has a complete 4:46 seconds of complete silence? When performing, he sits at the piano and turns pages. lol, laughing out loud
I wana be like that smile

GERSHWIN!!! His JAZZ ROCKS...
yeah
GO MUSIC NERDS

knight
I have no single favorite classical composser.
I know that I have great appreciation and respect for the Masters of Classical compositions from over 100 to 200 years ago.

Mozart dose stike a chord with me for some reason.

Piggle Humsy
Originally posted by Because I can
Omg!!
ALAN SILVERSTRI!!!
At my other school, pretty much EVERYONE was a music nerd (including me, of course stick out tongue) and for orchestra we played the Forrest Gump Suite!!!
The trumpet part embarrasment (thats me) we played the best bit (one of em,) the bit where he's runing and it gets really fast big grin

La Traviata (best opera)

I CANNOT BELIEVE NON OF YOU HAVE MENTIONED JOHN WILLIAMS!!
as much as most of his music sounds the same, i LOVE him.
Howard Shore Rocks.
So does Holst!!! Jupiter (sweetest song, my other school, again, played it the year i left sad but iwent and heard it smile SOOO GoOD, i cried roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ummm, some of Mozarts pieces drag on, i must say. Wadda bout that composer dude who has a complete 4:46 seconds of complete silence? When performing, he sits at the piano and turns pages. lol, laughing out loud
I wana be like that smile

GERSHWIN!!! His JAZZ ROCKS...
yeah
GO MUSIC NERDS

That's so brilliant, playing the forrest gump suite. I'd love to be a part of something like that.

I can't believe I never mentioned John Williams either!!
I love his stuff also... ever since I saw home alone. yes

I made your sig eek!
wow you've had that up for ages

Because I can
YUP!
Hey... i havent been on for a long, long time, but i'm back.

I havent changed it cause i have pretty much NO iDEA how to make a sig embarrasment

But hey, thats me! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Meh,
How are you all?
Oooo We're going to the melbourne Symphony Orchestra on Sunday to hear Simon Tedeschi Play His main theme song Rhapsody in Blue (Gershwin!!!)!!!!!! Looking forward to it smile

Piggle Humsy
still waiting for some suggestions...

anyone know any good piano pieces??
soft.. moving..

confused

Dr. Strangelove
I've really been feeling Bach's work. Absolutely love the Toccata in D Minor. Amazing piece of music.

Tptmanno1
I dabble in classical from time to time.

Some of my favorites are The Planets by Holst. Jupiter is amazing and Mars is a classic.
I also enjoy classical trumpet pieces, The Hummel Concherto is fun.

Dr. Strangelove
Love Mars from The Planets. I actually learned it for a while on violin until my fellow students starting whining about it being too hard. Wimps!

It's a nasty little 5/4 bugger, especially with the three other parts going all over the place.

cramunit
still waiting for some suggestions...

anyone know any good piano pieces??
soft.. moving..

confused

Pagodes by Claude Debussy is a favorite of mine. Have you also tried his Arabesque No.1?

cramunit
When my sister studied music in college, she played the cello with a small city orchestra; the Las Cruces Symphony Orchestra. I always enjoyed going to her concerts. I've heard them play Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, Dvorak's New World Symphony, Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto and works by Shostakovich among others. Part of her requirement for her degree was organizing and then putting on a performence. She played Bach's Cello Suite No.1. After she graduated, she spent a year teaching choir at the high school in the town where I live but she hated being a school teacher. Now she gives private lessons and she makes a living at it. She's even putting together a small orchestra comprised of her private students. The reason I mention all this is because my love and appreciation for classical music kind of developed through her.

Scarecrow756
My favourite composers are Danny Elfman and John Williams.

Twilight Janick
Beethoven
Tchaikovsky
Williams

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.