Darth Maul vs. TPM Obi-Wan and AOTC Obi-Wan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The_Executor
They fight in the execution site at Geonosis. Maul did pretty well against both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in TPM, so how well will he do against these two guys?

Fishy
He would still win. The two Obi Wans won't fight together better then Obi and QGJ did and AOTC Obi is not as powerful as QGJ.

Lord_Windu
We have already seen Maul take on TPM Obi with Qui-Gon, Maul did fight pretty well. And now we replace Qui-Gon with Knight Obi, and since he is fighting with his former self, knowing him well, I think the two Obi-Wans will work together well and it is also my belief that Obi exceeded his master by AOTC. Therefore, I would say the two Obi-Wans take it.

Darth_Janus
Well, TPM Obi-Wan gave Maul a decent ass-whuppin, and AOTC Obi is a lot more experienced and has a better defence than QGJ.

Emperor Revan
I agree with Fishy. I think AOTC Obi is barely stronger than Qui-Gon, if at all but the two wouldn't fight together so well and his defensive style wouldn't help. Maul would separate them and destroy them (if there's no silly pits with handles on the side for no reason)

ESB-1138
TPM Obi-Wan was a good match against Maul alone. Now he's stronger in the Force and a better swordsman. Obis win.

SnakeEyes
I think that the Obi-Wans take it. I mean, AOTC Obi-Wan is better than Qui-Gon and TPM Obi-Wan gave Maul a run for his money. Now, the teamwork would be excellent here, because AOTC Obi has great defense and TPM Obi has great offense. I disagree with you Revan, I think they will work well together because they are the same person and will be familiar with what the other person is going to do, so they can work with that. My final point: In a Star Wars comic (Episode One Adventures) it states that DM wouldn't have been able to have the upper hand in the Duel of the Fates, if he didn't seperate QGJ/Obi-Wan, and in this arena, there is no real way to seperate them.

Emperor Revan
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I think that the Obi-Wans take it. I mean, AOTC Obi-Wan is better than Qui-Gon and TPM Obi-Wan gave Maul a run for his money. Now, the teamwork would be excellent here, because AOTC Obi has great defense and TPM Obi has great offense. I disagree with you Revan, I think they will work well together because they are the same person and will be familiar with what the other person is going to do, so they can work with that. My final point: In a Star Wars comic (Episode One Adventures) it states that DM wouldn't have been able to have the upper hand in the Duel of the Fates, if he didn't seperate QGJ/Obi-Wan, and in this arena, there is no real way to seperate them.

The comics wrong, watch the movie, read the novel, or even read the kid's book, they all say Maul was winning even when they were fighting together. How many times did Maul knock one of them down while they were fighting together? About 4 times or so compared to the one time Qui-Gon knocked Maul down, only because Maul had just hit Obi. Look at how easy Maul kicked Obi down the catwalks, he wouldn't need those laser walls and AOTC Obi really wasn't that much better.

Next, the only reason Obi did so good against Maul on his own (yet still got his butt kicked) was because he was enraged from Qui-Gon's death. Maul would win most likely but the Obi's have a small chance.

Darth_Janus
Originally posted by Emperor Revan
The comics wrong, watch the movie, read the novel, or even read the kid's book, they all say Maul was winning even when they were fighting together. How many times did Maul knock one of them down while they were fighting together? About 4 times or so compared to the one time Qui-Gon knocked Maul down, only because Maul had just hit Obi. Look at how easy Maul kicked Obi down the catwalks, he wouldn't need those laser walls and AOTC Obi really wasn't that much better.

Next, the only reason Obi did so good against Maul on his own (yet still got his butt kicked) was because he was enraged from Qui-Gon's death. Maul would win most likely but the Obi's have a small chance.

Hmm... Not advocating the comics directly, since they could be quite wrong, but it seems to me that Maul was completely on the defensive at these times:

1- Whenever QGJ and Obi were attacking him.
2- When QGJ was pushing forward.
3- When Obi-Wan was cutting his lightsaber in half and putting his ass on the floor.

Times Maul wasn't on the defensive?

1- When he was kicking someone or punching someone, either to stun them or effectively break them up.
2- When he Force-pushed Obi-Wan into the shaft.

Times when Maul was effectively pushing the lightsaber battle in his favor without resorting to a punch?

1- Never.

Also keep in mind that two Ataru users are easier to defeat then an Ataru and a Soresu user. The latter, in particular, can defend even better than Maul, while the other hems him in. And unless he uses everything to his advantage (A trait of many Sith) he will fall.

Emperor Revan
Qui-Gon was one of the most able swordsmen in the Jedi order, but he was getting a little old. However, while it may appear that the Jedi were controlling the struggle, it was actually Maul.

This stuff comes from the Phantom Menace novel, read about the fight. Maul is clearly dominating or even watch the movie again. The kid's book (yeah i know, but it's a book nonetheless) says Obi had to use every skill he knew of just to stay alive, and Maul was clouding his use of the Force.

Now remember Old Obi uses Soresu and is perhaps at the level of Qui-Gon. Maul would fight the same way, knocking young Obi away even easier because Old Obi would be defending all the time instead of attacking like Qui-Gon was. After young Obi was either killed, knocked out, or just couldn't fight, Old Obi would go down pretty quick.

Lastly, the Obi's would not fight as well together, Obi has 10 years of forgetting how he used to fight, whilst when he fought with Qui-Gon, they had been fighting together for 12 years.

Maul got 6 hits (I think, it might have been more) on Qui-Gon and Obi total, and had them both at his mercy. Qui-Gon and Obi together got 2 hits on Maul total. IMO, the Obi's wouldn't even do as good as Obi and Qui-Gon did.

ESB-1138
Obi-Wan still knows form IV. he used it against Ani in ROTS.

DarthMaul9123
darth maul only lost to obi won because of qui gons lightsaber but without quigon obi won would have been screwed so my vote is for darth maul

DarthMaul9123

witch helps prove my points

ESB-1138
Originally posted by DarthMaul9123
darth maul only lost to obi won because of qui gons lightsaber but without quigon obi won would have been screwed so my vote is for darth maul
Yeah but if there wasn't a hole Obi-Wan wouldn't have lost his lightsaber.

Darth_Janus
Qui-Gon was one of the most able swordsmen in the Jedi order, but he was getting a little old. However, while it may appear that the Jedi were controlling the struggle, it was actually Maul.

This stuff comes from the Phantom Menace novel, read about the fight. Maul is clearly dominating or even watch the movie again. The kid's book (yeah i know, but it's a book nonetheless) says Obi had to use every skill he knew of just to stay alive, and Maul was clouding his use of the Force.

Now remember Old Obi uses Soresu and is perhaps at the level of Qui-Gon. Maul would fight the same way, knocking young Obi away even easier because Old Obi would be defending all the time instead of attacking like Qui-Gon was. After young Obi was either killed, knocked out, or just couldn't fight, Old Obi would go down pretty quick.

Lastly, the Obi's would not fight as well together, Obi has 10 years of forgetting how he used to fight, whilst when he fought with Qui-Gon, they had been fighting together for 12 years.

Maul got 6 hits (I think, it might have been more) on Qui-Gon and Obi total, and had them both at his mercy. Qui-Gon and Obi together got 2 hits on Maul total. IMO, the Obi's wouldn't even do as good as Obi and Qui-Gon did.

1- Don't put too much stock into an author's viewpoint on how the movie played out. George Lucas didn't write any of the novelisations, they are essentially some author's take on the movie. Note that the ROTS novelisation is like the fanboy Bible for Anakin and Sidious. Also, I have watched the fight.... MANY times. Over and over again. Maul had no clear advantage at all until he had Obi-Wan hanging on a fixture, and even then he died to a relatively open and simple attack.

2- Obi-Wan uses Soresu, and he also apparently uses a blend of Ataru and Soresu. If you watch him fight, particularly in ROTS in the intro, Obi-Wan uses a more dynamic mode of Soresu, combining minor spinning moves, rolls, etc. while maintaining the classic Soresu defense. To say he would be merely static and unable to help his younger, more agile self is silly. If anything, Obi-Wan AOTC would be able to keep Maul's attacks centered while giving no ground himself, and TPM Obi-Wan could work the opposite angle, as opposed to QGJ who was pushing forward constantly and exposing himself.

3- Ten years of forgetting how he fought? If you ever practiced any form of fighting for twelve years plus, and you stopped it, you would recall it quicker than shit. It's called muscle memory, and your argument is called pwned. Try again, dude.

4- You're refering to physical blows, not lightsaber stabs or slashes, and Maul never had them both at his mercy. If anything, the only time he was in a commanding position was with Obi-Wan hanging on the fixture. Watch the fight again...

Emperor Revan
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
1- Don't put too much stock into an author's viewpoint on how the movie played out. George Lucas didn't write any of the novelisations, they are essentially some author's take on the movie. Note that the ROTS novelisation is like the fanboy Bible for Anakin and Sidious. Also, I have watched the fight.... MANY times. Over and over again. Maul had no clear advantage at all until he had Obi-Wan hanging on a fixture, and even then he died to a relatively open and simple attack.

2- Obi-Wan uses Soresu, and he also apparently uses a blend of Ataru and Soresu. If you watch him fight, particularly in ROTS in the intro, Obi-Wan uses a more dynamic mode of Soresu, combining minor spinning moves, rolls, etc. while maintaining the classic Soresu defense. To say he would be merely static and unable to help his younger, more agile self is silly. If anything, Obi-Wan AOTC would be able to keep Maul's attacks centered while giving no ground himself, and TPM Obi-Wan could work the opposite angle, as opposed to QGJ who was pushing forward constantly and exposing himself.

3- Ten years of forgetting how he fought? If you ever practiced any form of fighting for twelve years plus, and you stopped it, you would recall it quicker than shit. It's called muscle memory, and your argument is called pwned. Try again, dude.

4- You're refering to physical blows, not lightsaber stabs or slashes, and Maul never had them both at his mercy. If anything, the only time he was in a commanding position was with Obi-Wan hanging on the fixture. Watch the fight again...

1. I guess you're right there, the ROTS novel is really biased. Even still, it does say this stuff on the official website too. Maul smacked the Jedi around far more than they touched him, other than that I don't see how you can judge who was winning but I don't see how it could be the Jedi.

2. The fact that Obi doesn't press the attack leaves Maul with more opportunities to strike at young Obi.

3. Er, I meant he wouldn't fight as well with young Obi together as young Obi and Qui-Gon did.

4. Maul killed Qui-Gon, same thing. And he could've easily killed Obi if he wanted. Read the Star Wars website, or any book describing the fight.

DarthMaul9123
Originally posted by ESB-1138

yah but still darth would beat tpm but he might struggle with aotc but you have to know that aotc wasnt that much better than qui gon jin so i think it would go to darth maul

DarthMaul9123
1. I guess you're right there, the ROTS novel is really biased. Even still, it does say this stuff on the official website too. Maul smacked the Jedi around far more than they touched him, other than that I don't see how you can judge who was winning but I don't see how it could be the Jedi.

2. The fact that Obi doesn't press the attack leaves Maul with more opportunities to strike at young Obi.

3. Er, I meant he wouldn't fight as well with young Obi together as young Obi and Qui-Gon did.

4. Maul killed Qui-Gon, same thing. And he could've easily killed Obi if he wanted. Read the Star Wars website, or any book describing the fight.

that is why it would go to darth maul

Nai Fohl

Who says he won't do that ? Obi-Wan in AotC times is 38 years old so if you just want to go counting:

He had trained in:
Form I (until age 13)
form IV (13-25 from becoming Qui-Gons Padawan to TPM)
form III (25-38 from TPM to AotC)

Maul became a Sith apprentice at the age of 12 - so in an age where Obi-Wan had already a decade of experience with force powers and a lightsaber. Then Maul focused on form VII what is an unfinished art of fighting while Obi-Wan focused on form III (which is the most defensive form) and form IV (which is one of the most offensive ones or lets say the most offensive one). And he could well have mastered them both in AotC times.

So while TPM Obi might have experienced some serious ass kicking by Maul, AotC Obi-Wan would be able to take Maul on his own because having more experience in lightsaber combat and being able to use 3 styles including a 100 % defensive and a 100 % offensive one. Basically he can wait until Maul wasted all his energy trying to penetrate form III defence then swith to form IV and finish him.

Please. Who could be a better teammate than another version of yourself ?

Maul could have killed TPM Obi-Wan but only when he was hanging on the fixture. And still the fact remains that TPM Obi was able to slice Mauls weapon and - at least - kill him.

Darth_Janus
Word

ESB-1138
Originally posted by Nai Fohl
Who says he won't do that ? Obi-Wan in AotC times is 38 years old so if you just want to go counting:

He had trained in:
Form I (until age 13)

Maul became a Sith apprentice at the age of 12 - so in an age where Obi-Wan had already a decade of experience with force powers and a lightsaber. Then Maul focused on form VII what is an unfinished art of fighting while Obi-Wan focused on form III (which is the most defensive form) and form IV (which is one of the most offensive ones or lets say the most offensive one). And he could well have mastered them both in AotC times.

So while TPM Obi might have experienced some serious ass kicking by Maul, AotC Obi-Wan would be able to take Maul on his own because having more experience in lightsaber combat and being able to use 3 styles including a 100 % defensive and a 100 % offensive one. Basically he can wait until Maul wasted all his energy trying to penetrate form III defence then swith to form IV and finish him.

Maul could have killed TPM Obi-Wan but only when he was hanging on the fixture. And still the fact remains that TPM Obi was able to slice Mauls weapon and - at least - kill him.
Atleast someone makes sense.

xxxpoppunker182

i'm pretty sure infact i know that yes maul did WANT to kill obi-wan yet he got sliced in half.

Emperor Revan
Originally posted by Nai Fohl

He had trained in:
Form I (until age 13)

Maul trained to be a Sith from a baby, not when he was 12. Form 7 is much stronger than you give it credit for and Obi doesn't even use Form 4 ever again for fighting after TPM. Besides, knowing more than one form doesn't make you stronger really, Grievous knows six and he still got pwned by one. And TPM Obi did slice Maul's lightsaber in half (due to his anger which probably wouldn't happen here) but Maul still had him at his mercy. Obi won't always have the chance to outsmart Maul and I think he would pull it off.

ESB-1138
Maul trained to be a Sith from a baby, not when he was 12. Form 7 is much stronger than you give it credit for and Obi doesn't even use Form 4 ever again for fighting after TPM. Besides, knowing more than one form doesn't make you stronger really, Grievous knows six and he still got pwned by one. And TPM Obi did slice Maul's lightsaber in half (due to his anger which probably wouldn't happen here) but Maul still had him at his mercy. Obi won't always have the chance to outsmart Maul and I think he would pull it off.
Obi-Wan uses form IV to defeat Anakin in ROTS.

Emperor Revan
Obi-Wan uses form IV to defeat Anakin in ROTS.

You got proof to back that up? I've never heard it till now.

DarthMaul9123
same......but also do you have some cool pick of darth maul that can say something idk but i just want one to put as an icon like yours revan

Emperor Revan
There are a few Darth Maul pics in the avatar sections you can choose from. I made my avatar myself from a pic directly from my game.

DarthMaul9123
oo

DarthMaul9123
how do you get an avatar

Darth_Janus

When specifically did the lightsaber fightin start? Three months? C'mon... "raised from a baby". Dude, babies don't pwn, even sith babies. There had to be a starting point. Twelve sounds better than 0.

It says Obi-Wan gave up his pursuit of Ataru mastery after TPM; never says he doesn't implement its moves at any point.

Grievious, at best, knew a smattering of Niman. At worst, he used no real style at all, since lightsaber styles are unique to Force using lightsaber duellists, not machines. For example, Grievious can never trully use any form that relies on the Force. This includes most precepts of Soresu, Ataru, Juyo, Niman, etc.

So Obi-Wan's badassness in TPM are -only- accredited to his anger? Then it wouldn't be a far stretch to say "anger makes you that much better of a fighter." In which case an angry NJO Luke could kill anything, hands down, or an angry Exar Kun could potentially defeat two sith lords at once, since it is anger and anger alone that makes that leap of power? No, that's not true. Anger may have fueled his motions and made him hard to read to Maul, but the skill and technique was always his own. Point is, to chalk all of it up to anger undermines Obi-wan as a fighter.

Maul had Obi-Wan at his mercy ONLY when Obi-Wan was weaponless, dangling from a fixture in a well. For that matter, TPM Annie could have had Obi-Wan at his mercy at such a point. It means nothing in this fight. The duo still take this.

darthrevan89
*random*

I am the Ewok Lord!

Darth_Janus
GET HIM!!!

*Jawas attack*

Illustrious
Artoo guides the Jawas to victory!!

darthsith19
In case you havn't noticed Obi-Wan fights much worse when having someone fight alongside him. Two Obi-Wan's fighting together? No, either one of them alone would do better. So Maul would win by quite a bit.

DarthMaul9123
and qui gon wouldnt have died and he wouldnt have been so pissed off

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.