Street-Level Tournament: Planning Phase

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DigiMark007

Scoobless
i vote for amalgam and against flight

the having three minds thing is kinda weird.... what about one mind, but with full access to the experience and knowledge of the other two?

zachrivard
sounds good i vote for amalgam and i vote agianst flight i think the battle would be more interesting on the ground

long pig
I like the amalgam, and I don't want flight allowed either.
And I agree with scoob about having total control over all the minds and getting all experience and such.

zachrivard
Thats 3 votes for amalgam and 3 votes for no flight and 3 votes( counting me) for "having total control over all the minds and getting all experience and such."

Dizzle
I vote amalgam as well... And I'm also against flight. Cuz amalgams rule and flight limits the team I have in mind. big grin

2 things though...
1) Will we allow passive magic enchantments to items and/or technology enhanced weapons? (Deathstroke's staff)

2) Are we allowed to pick a certain stage in a characters evolution? I have one in mind, but his "full power" form is way the heck too strong, where his initial state is perfect for this tourney.

zachrivard
i think we should stick to comic charecters

Dizzle
And I don't. You can pick 3 comic characters, but as long as the non comic ones fit the restrictions, why do you really care?

Nataku8188
I say we either do amalgam or 3 character teams with 1v1 matches. So, I send in my order and my opponent sends my order to the host, and then he posts the orders. So my first guy vs his first guy, etc. etc.

No flight is good, no split mind b/s. I say abilities like precog and spider-sense shouldn't be allowed, healing factors should have specific limits set on them, and all character's strength must be established before fights.

Khellendros
I vote for amalgam, and vote for flight. Not that it apparently matters. One thing: are we allowed to limit a character, if one aspect of their power is against the rules, can we limit that while still allowing the character itself? I used my example of Sauron in SS' tournament. Life draining was against the rules, but he had other useful powers, so I could have used him if I had wanted to minus life draining.

EDIT: I disagree with the proposed limit on "spider senses" Nataku brought up. The whole justification for allowing characters like Bullseye and Cyclops is that many of use would have some spider-sense type of thing to help use dodge better.

Dizzle
I like the mind amalgamation idea... It brings strategy into the character picking. You need all good guys, or all bad guys, or at least guys that wouldn't immediately want to kill each other. Though I admit, it's gonna make some of the psychos impossible to accomodate. Carnage would have been a bad choice even if he were allowed...

Oh yea, and spider sense is all good. No one's gonna be fast enough to dodge everything, even with some precog.

Or Nataku could just want Bullseye+Electro to run through everyone without trying...

DigiMark007
Amalgam seems to be the overwhelming favorite.

Khell's the lone vote for flight, so right now it's a no go, but if enough people vote for it I'll reinstate it.

And the mind thing...personally, I thought my method was kinda cool, but apparently no one else thinks so. We'll take it back to "One Mind. All experiences of the three characters." It should simplify things a bit.

All other things (passive magic enchantments, limiting a character's abilities, picking certain stages in evolution, etc.) will have to be dealt with on an individual basis. Some people might have 'mystical' power, but they aren't any more powerful than a regular street-level. They would be ok (as long as they didn't phase, create illusions, etc.). I actually see no problem with picking a character at a certain point so that they're within the limits, or 'taking away' a power from someone to make them legal. But like I said, I'll assess them on a more individual basis either in the draft, or when we discuss the picks (feel free to PM me with questions about specific picks if you don't want to say their names on this thread).

Speaking of the draft, each round will be a different week, but I'm changing it slightly. If someone is a popular pick (and a few like Spider-Man, Wolverine, or Deathstroke will be) I don't want people PM'ing back and forth with me to try and find a not-taken pick. But I also don't want to see this in draft Pm's..."I pick Deathstroke, but if he's taken I want Doc Ock and if he's taken I want Beast." So we'll have a "First Round Draft Thread" and when a character is picked I'll post it in the thread (but I won't say who picked them) so that everyone will know not to try to pick him/her. It should also give us longer to discuss picks in case they're border-line with the rules.

And please don't try to 'sneak past the rules' with a pick. Be honest with who you try to draft. It could very well backfire, and the pick will get banned and you'll lose time and possible picks to other participants.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Nataku8188
No flight is good, no split mind b/s. I say abilities like precog and spider-sense shouldn't be allowed, healing factors should have specific limits set on them, and all character's strength must be established before fights.

Spider-sense will be allowed. Spidey still gets hit...he's not untouchable.

Healing factor...I agree, but what limit? We're allowing Wolverine, and does anyone have a better healing factor than him who's legal? Logan doesn't heal automatically from wounds, so he'll be an asset (and so will other healers like Lady DS, Deadpool, etc) but not an automatic win. If you can quantify healing factor better than me (since I can't accurately do it) feel free to suggest it.

And as for the charatcer strength, the limit is set (I'm thinking about making it 10 Tons though) and power melding is acceptable (if you figure out a way to increase your strength meshing 2 legal characters). And I wasn't planning on letting the teams be known until the actual battle, so the fights will be less planned out and more 'think on your feet' debating. Setting a strength of each character might mess with that some, unless you were to PM me with details, or if it was obvious what the character's strength is.

Scoob, Hawkeye's in your sig so I'm assuming you know something about him...What's a decent "standard equipment" for him where he'd be formidable enough to be a good pick but not too powerful? And I don't know enough about everyone to say what their standard equipment should be, but assume that you'll have the basics (and characters like Bullseye will get things to throw)...I'll determine what standard equipment is as the draft goes on...if someone's pick might be determined based upon what a character does or doesn't start with, PM me to ask.

zachrivard
i dont think u should be able to limit charectersit makes it more chalenging to find charecters that fit the "street level" requierment

Nataku8188
Well, Wolverine's healing factor has done some random ass things, but I say we set a 100% sure limit to it so that it's like;

"Can heal wounds up to bullet wounds in several minutes, broken bones fractures and torn ligaments in an hour or so, and no healing from serious internal injuries/acid/heavy burning" Which is pretty much how it's defined in the handbook, even though Wolvie exceeds his 'limits' regularly.

As for the no removal of spider-sense, we have to set a standard, because, like the healing factor, it's had great days and bad days. Sometimes he can't dodge a punch from Wolverine, but he can dodge a flurry of attacks from doc ock, or a shot from Bullseye. So we should set it so he can like "Easily dodge attacks from untrained opponents, and can dodge bullets/arrows/well trained opponents a modest amount of the time."

Khellendros
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Healing factor...I agree, but what limit? We're allowing Wolverine, and does anyone have a better healing factor than him who's legal? Logan doesn't heal automatically from wounds, so he'll be an asset (and so will other healers like Lady DS, Deadpool, etc) but not an automatic win. If you can quantify healing factor better than me (since I can't accurately do it) feel free to suggest it.
Well, I don't think Wolverine can regrow a severed limb, whereas Deadpool and, I believe, Agent X can regrow limbs, and Deadpool has come back from being shot in the head. So, maybe we limit it to around Wolverine's average. You have to try harder to kill him than most people, but enough damage will bring him down eventually.

DigiMark007
Sounds good Nat. Unless there's objections, I'll use that limit word-for-word for Wolverine, as well as for Spidey (with possible slight changes). But thanks.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Khellendros
Well, I don't think Wolverine can regrow a severed limb, whereas Deadpool, I believe, Agent X can regrow limbs, and Deadpool has come back from being shot in the head. So, maybe we limit it to around Wolverine's average. You have to try harder to kill him than most people, but enough damage will bring him down eventually.

For anyone beyond Wolverine, we'll have to set a limit slightly beyond what Wolvie can do, but not outlandish. If Deadpool loses an arm, he might grow it back but not before the match is over (same with a bullet in the brain). I'll write one up that's similar to what Nat provided for Wolverine, but slightly more powerful.

zachrivard
sounds like its gonna be a fun tournament

K Von Doom
But I also don't want to see this in draft Pm's..."I pick Deathstroke, but if he's taken I want Doc Ock and if he's taken I want Beast." So we'll have a "First Round Draft Thread" and when a character is picked I'll post it in the thread (but I won't say who picked them) so that everyone will know not to try to pick him/her. It should also give us longer to discuss picks in case they're border-line with the rules.

Wouldn't it be easier to post the picks here? I don't think knowing which characters the other posters are drafting is going to make any difference anyway. It'll save a lot of to and fro.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by zachrivard
sounds like its gonna be a fun tournament

smile

It will be.

But before I was running it I had a few combos that were extremely badass, so without me it won't be as cool...hehe. I even had a freakin' picture of him on Photoshop (my picks were so obscure I was that confident I'd get them)...I'll have to unveil it at some point just for the hell of it.

long pig
Originally posted by K Von Doom
Wouldn't it be easier to post the picks here? I don't think knowing which characters the other posters are drafting is going to make any difference anyway. It'll save a lot of to and fro.
Well, it'll keep people from trying to make a team to go directly against someone elses team.

Kinda like if someone sees another guy, they pick someone with the other guy's direct weakness with intent of taking him out.

DigiMark007

Yeah, but what this does is not let everyone know other peoples' teams. You'll know who is chosen, but not who is paired with who, so it will be harder to form strategies for certain amalgams.

Also, last tournament some picks were direct responses to someone else's earlier pick(s). This way it should cut down on creating teams specifically designed to take another team out, and create a bigger need for just making solid, well-rounded an/or powerful amalgams.

It'll take longer and be a bit more complicated, but we'll try it. If I hate it after Round 1 we may switch, but I'd like to see how it turns out.

zachrivard
is iceman ok to pick? when r we gonna have the sign up?

K Von Doom
I'm thinking this might happen:

KVD: I pick Spiderman

Digi: He's taken, pick another

KVD: I pick Black Panther

KVD: I pick Wolverine

KVD: I pick Taskmaster

KVD:... I withdraw embarrasment But that's just me

DigiMark007
I'm thinking this might happen:

KVD: I pick Spiderman

KVD: I pick Black Panther

KVD: I pick Wolverine

KVD: I pick Taskmaster

KVD:... I withdraw embarrasment But that's just me

Point taken. Hopefully it will go more like this...

3 people: I pick Spiderman/Deathstroke/Wolverine

*Digi posts it in the thread. KVD looks at the thread and sees that.*

KVD: Ok, then I pick Taskmaster.

Digi: Cool.

I'll try to keep up with it as much as possible so it runs smoothly. But like I said, if it works more like your scenario and it's frustrating, I'll switch it for Round 2/3.

-DM

P.S. Iceman is not ok. Current Iceman is way too powerful, and any incarnation can be said to be beyond the limits. And sign-ups will be next Sunday...I suppose I should set a time. We'll go with 12 Noon, Eastern Standard Time (U.S.). Scoobless is assured a spot, but the first 15 to sign up will be in. Others can sign up afterwards as alternates (that's how I got in the last tourney).

zachrivard
taskmaster? will someone post a bio?

Khellendros
taskmaster? will someone post a bio?
http://www.taskmastersite.com/TaskmasterSite.htm

Quick Freeze
i wanna do it!!! but i wont be back for a while . . sad
i want amalgam/no flight/i like the idea of having 3 minds in one body it makes the tourney alot more interesting in my opinion. a lot more to consider. and i think its too easy to let someone have the mind of deathstroke with the experience of batman and daredevil. dd and ds would probably disagree in the way that they fight so only the part of the amalgam that is familiar with precog would do certain things while the part of the amalgam that knows how to use hightened sences and radar would do certain things.

Dizzle
Plus the moral differences would be a problem for some. The mind of Superman (just an example) would not work at all with the mind of Dr. Doom. Doom's evil, Superman is pretty insufferably good. Digi also brought up Thor and Loki. It forces people to not only find powers that work together, but mindsets as well.

long pig
Are shields ok in this tourney?
TK shields and such?

K Von Doom
The characters will be schizophrenic? Or work the way the old Firestorm did with Raymond and the Professor?

Khellendros
I think we should have one mind in charge, but with the experience/memories necessary to put their powers and abilities to full use. Unlike with Evangel's tournament, having our amalgams have complete control over all the abilities given them doesn't mean they become incredibly godlike and borderline unstoppable, it just allows them to be more effective fighters with these new skills.

DigiMark007
Hmm...no, I did away with the schizo mind-stuff, even though it would make picking a bit more difficult. One mind, all experiences of the three. You still have to choose a 'body' like the last tourney, but the mind is taken care of.

And telekinesis? Seems suspect considering everything else we're banning (phasing, invisibility, flight, etc.). So good question LP, but no TK (unless there's a ton of support for it, but I doubt that).

And just to post it again...sign-up thread will be up at 12 Noon Eastern Standard Time next Sunday.

Scoobless
the sign up should only take an hour or so.... probably..... so will the drafts start as soon as it finishes?

Lord-of-Dreams
yea, we can't have signups going for hours, but what if I'm in NewYork and I can't find a comp. (hmm... newyork, no computers... funny, its like a cold hell... lol)? could I pm you a litle early, Digi? I'd like to compete, but I can't always be online when I want.
So... I'm kinda confuzled... you choose three guys to fight, each amalgamatons? I'm sorry, I'm kinda disoriented and not really able to put together the bits and pieces of ules that have been astablished. I know the banned abilities, but that all.

Scoobless
you pick three characters and jam all their abilities into one of their bodies with one of their minds

it's pretty simple.... but i could probably guarantee most people that they wont get all their first choice characters

Nataku8188
Hmm...no, I did away with the schizo mind-stuff, even though it would make picking a bit more difficult. One mind, all experiences of the three. You still have to choose a 'body' like the last tourney, but the mind is taken care of.

And telekinesis? Seems suspect considering everything else we're banning (phasing, invisibility, flight, etc.). So good question LP, but no TK (unless there's a ton of support for it, but I doubt that).

And just to post it again...sign-up thread will be up at 12 Noon Eastern Standard Time next Sunday.

1) When did we agree on no invisibility? I think limited invisibility would be fine, considering most street levelers have ways of helping them notice limited invisibility.

2) I think the sign-up thread should be on a weekday night, because some of us aren't home on weekends.

Solidus Snake
so can we have say the body of hawkeye with the fighting experience of batman?

we all know that hawkeyes body isnt trained teh same way bats is. and at a moments notice will never be able to do batmans feats.

so if hawkeyes body had a special adaption that i liked but wanted batmans skills to go with it, could i do that?

Lord-of-Dreams
I thought the mind had all the knowledge of all the characters it is, so Batyboy would know his limits, Snake.

long pig
No TK but shields are ok?

K Von Doom
What's 'limited' invisibility?

Dizzle
Originally posted by long pig
No TK but shields are ok?

I'd say it depends... We can't have anything super super powerful (IW) but if a class 20 or so guy could conceivably break it, I don't see why not... (unless someone wants to bring up a "field in the brain" strategy, cuz that'll just piss me off)

Nataku8188
What's 'limited' invisibility?

Invisibility that isn't perfect. Like how Nightcrawler can meld with shadows so he's almost invisible, or how Predators can cloak so light shimmers around them.

Khellendros
I agree with Nataku on the invisibility thing. Things like Midnighter's stealth ability and Nightcrawler/Nocturne's invisibility in shadows are handy, but they aren't foolproof.

DigiMark007
Ok...limited invisibility (like NC'er or MN'er) is fine. Complete invisibility is not.

No TK. What shields are we talking about that don't involve TK?

Also, along the lines of healing. We've established what Logan can do, and I think we should set the 'healing limit' at Deadpool-level.

Draft not on Sunday?? K, fine. How's this Thursday at noon (night's are bad for me...work and all)?? And we'll have to do the first-round draft soon after...I'll announce when in the sign-up thread.

I want to move the strength limit back to 10 Tons. 20 seems beyond a lot of street-levelers (I don't want people like Cap and Bats to be crap picks). So it's 10 Tons unless a lot of people object.

...all for now...

-DM

Khellendros
Draft not on Sunday?? K, fine. How's this Thursday at noon (night's are bad for me...work and all)?? And we'll have to do the first-round draft soon after...I'll announce when in the sign-up thread.
Wait, what?? It's getting moved up now? Why's this? I was kinda counting on Sunday to decide on my fnal combination of three characters.

Dizzle
Thursday? Noon? NO! Why assume that no one here might actually require schooling and whatnot? (Thursday's the 1st day, actually...)

I definitely can't sign up anywhere near noon Thursday. Can I get someone to sign up for me when the time comes if you can't change it? Drafts early in the day will be a little problem, but I'm not all that worried about some of my picks getting stolen. But I definitely wanna get in on this here tourney.

And uh oh, 10 tons? Even Spiderman's above that now. (I'm pretty sure he hit 15 with his new upgrade) I think 20's a good number, since many around that level will get a huge boost from fighting skills on the level of Cap and Batman. This tourney's gonna be a lot about skill, so martial artists are probly gonna have to be a pretty standard thing for everyone.

long pig
Shields as in some mutants have the ability to caste shields not through TK just by a random mutant power.

Khellendros
Shields as in some mutants have the ability to caste shields not through TK just by a random mutant power.
Like Skids and Cecilia Reyes.

Ooooh...

long pig
lol
.... I don't want TK, it's unfair.

Khellendros
Oh, and then there are som chi-users who can create forcefields, so yeah, I think they should be allowed or you're going to cut out a lot of potential picks.

DigiMark007
K...we're going back to Sunday. Sorry anyone who doesn't like it. Can't please everyone, and weekdays seem to be just as bad (I'd move it to the evening if I could, but I have other obligations as well).

For what it's worth I don't think it will fill up right away...Sunday night or even Monday morning might still get you a spot.

Sunday at Noon, sorry for the confusion.

And Spidey at 15 Tons? What upgrade? SM, Venom, etc. should all be at 10 Tons. If I'm wrong let me know.

And non-TK shields, I guess are fine...I don't know a ton about them, so just make sure they aren't too powerful...a lot of it will be up to participants to police their fellow participants' picks for this, since I can't do everything. But they seem fine.

-DM

Dizzle
Spiderman got organic webs, the ability to communicate with insects, even better reaction times, and a strength boost pretty recently. And Venom's always been stronger than Spiderman. He's never been at 10 tons...

I think strength should just be limited to Spiderman-like, rather than a specific number. Nothing ridiculous, but I think ballparking it will be easier.

CorderaMitchell
K...we're going back to Sunday. Sorry anyone who doesn't like it. Can't please everyone, and weekdays seem to be just as bad (I'd move it to the evening if I could, but I have other obligations as well).

For what it's worth I don't think it will fill up right away...Sunday night or even Monday morning might still get you a spot.

Sunday at Noon, sorry for the confusion.

And Spidey at 15 Tons? What upgrade? SM, Venom, etc. should all be at 10 Tons. If I'm wrong let me know.

And non-TK shields, I guess are fine...I don't know a ton about them, so just make sure they aren't too powerful...a lot of it will be up to participants to police their fellow participants' picks for this, since I can't do everything. But they seem fine.

-DM

Spiderman is 15, venom is at least 25, and carnage is like over thirty...

DigiMark007
Originally posted by CorderaMitchell
Spiderman is 15, venom is at least 25, and carnage is like over thirty...

I read the upgrade issues but I didn't think it was accompanied by a strength boost. And I always thought the idea that the symbiote was stronger than Spidey was false...just that it made him more ruthless, not stronger. I could be wrong, but I think Carnage at 30+ is a bit overstating it.

Dizzle had a good idea. Ballpark it. Not 20, not 10...Spidey's cool, so is Venom. Don't go beyond them in strength.

CorderaMitchell
I read the upgrade issues but I didn't think it was accompanied by a strength boost. And I always thought the idea that the symbiote was stronger than Spidey was false...just that it made him more ruthless, not stronger. I could be wrong, but I think Carnage at 30+ is a bit overstating it.

Dizzle had a good idea. Ballpark it. Not 20, not 10...Spidey's cool, so is Venom. Don't go beyond them in strength.

Venom is usable?

Well in the handguide to spiderman 2005, it states 15, but since he is usable it doesn't matter, and the same since carnage is Unusable.

stormfront13
digi woul someone else signing me up be okay? because I won'y have access to a computer all day sunday.

zachrivard
sunday at noon? right?

Lord-of-Dreams
otay. seems fair, in terms of strength.
I don't want to cause you any stress over the signup thing, Dig, but you think we could just have a pm signup? I think that would be fair, or do you really want the teams public?
And l was once told that the symbiot doesn't pump venom's strength- he's just plain stronger than spidey natraly (venom would be even the Spiderman, but Brock inside the suit is more beefy, giving him an edge in strength, make sense?) course, I don't really follow much Spiderman stuff so..
But 20 is a good set point.

DigiMark007
Carnage is banned...he always seems to be beyond Spidey/Venom/etc. And if the handbook says Venom is at 15, and Spidey just got an upgrade, we'll consider them both Class 15, and set that as the limit. Don't go beyond Spidey/Venom or Class 15...should make it easy enough. I'm just trying to keep it street-level. 20 seemed like a lot.

And yeah, Sunday at Noon (Eastern Time). Public sign-ups...first 15 to sign up (Scoobless is assured a spot from his victory in the last tourney). The drafts, however, will be by PM, and I'll post who is picked but not who is picking them. So characters will be known but not teams.

Lord-of-Dreams
I'm sorry, is Eastern time American hours? I'm in canada, so... my time might not be Eastern I don't know...

DigiMark007
Yeah, America. It would depend on where in Canada...your computer (the time thingy in the corner) should be able to tell you the time difference (if any).

zachrivard
i am in michigan is michigan eastern?

Lord-of-Dreams
k. thnx. So..what are the power limits- highest levels. Could I be say... Deathstroke? Spidey? Please make that clear.

CorderaMitchell
I thought venom was the cutoff?

K Von Doom
Can someone pick, say, Human Torch then say... "I pick Torch but I won't use his flight... (just his uberpowerful Nova Blast when he's about to lose)"

long pig
Can someone pick, say, Human Torch then say... "I pick Torch but I won't use his flight... (just his uberpowerful Nova Blast when he's about to lose)"
No.
Are you crazy?

K Von Doom
yes

Khellendros
I'm thinking nova blast would be a wee bit above Cyclops in terms of destructive power.

long pig
yes
lol

I'm thinking nova blast would be a wee bit above Cyclops in terms of destructive power.
Just a wee bit.

CorderaMitchell

a tad bit...

Dizzle
Just a smidgeon, really. (sorry, wanted to say "smidgeon"wink

Even Cyclops's uber blast is banned. Just the normal ones with the visor. Hehe, nova blast.

But yeah, anyone an exorbitant amount above street level's gonna be banned. Think "could he beat Carnage?" (Carnage is banned, but pretty much anyone who decidedly loses to him should be good)

long pig
Some street levelers could beat Carnage with their weapons/grenades.

CorderaMitchell
Some street levelers could beat Carnage with their weapons/grenades.

Well without them, and who would you be referring to.
Just curious.

long pig
sad I'm not going to get Slade am I? sad

Everyone's gunning for him and Wolverine.....

New announcement!
No one picks Slade cept me! mad

CorderaMitchell
sad I'm not going to get Slade am I? sad

Everyone's gunning for him and Wolverine.....

New announcement!
No one picks Slade cept me! mad I wanted to be slade, how about this.

You are slade, and I'm deathstroke...

long pig
Sounds good.

CorderaMitchell
I know how to make these things work...

Nataku8188
Take Slade, I got a one up =D

CorderaMitchell
I'm actually still uncertain...lol

Dizzle
My team's gonna be godly. Godly I tells yas.

DigiMark007
Hmm...no new tourney-related questions. I think we're about set on the rules. I'll post the updated version in a bit...

...Oh! We still need a "standard equipment" for Hawkeye that makes him good enough to be a good pick but not too powerful. Anyone?

DigiMark007

Khellendros
...Oh! We still need a "standard equipment" for Hawkeye that makes him good enough to be a good pick but not too powerful. Anyone?
http://www.classicmarvel.com/cast/hawkeye.htm
I'd say go through the list on there, pick out what you don't think is fair and post the rest of the list in here.

...Hell, looking at it again, I personally wouldn't object to all those arrows being included.

EDIT: Wow... you were serious about not including Agent Zero? In terms of raw power, he's really not taht far above, say, Venom. It's just that those enzyme blasts are specifically keyed tot ake out the healers like Wolvie and Deadpool. And I don't think very many people would seriously give him odds over the HULK.

long pig
Why can't we have Agent Zero?
God dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Khellendros
Why can't we have Agent Zero?
God dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
laughing

Yeah, why can't "WE" have Agent Zero??

long pig
lol

I don't wanna talk about it....mad

Khellendros
lol

I don't wanna talk about it....mad

Hey, it's your fault for making that thread. If you had just sent the pcik in nice and quiet, none of this would have happened. laughing

Laminator_X
I'm actually having a hard time finding a decent web link for some of the characters I'm considering. Would sending scans and/or bibliography be acceptable? Could I actually put up a publicly acessable page so that opponents could have acess to the information (subject to referee approval)? There're a lot of cool characters who aren't in the marvel appendix or what have you.

Paola
WARNING
off-topic
sorry for breaking up like this, I know I haven't visited this place like in ages, but just wondering... what happened to Evangel's tournament? huh

zachrivard
scobbless won

DigiMark007
Laminator, if it's not in the Marvel Directory you might find it in the Marvel Handbook (http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/appchar.htm)

LMFAO! LP losing it over Agent Zero was priceless. Khell's right though, lp...no AZ vs. Hulk thread and it wouldn't have happened. If Agent Zero is seriously ok I'll reinstate him, but I'd need some opinions other than LP (Khell already gave him the ok).

Khell, thanks for the Hawkeye site. I'll come up with an arsenal soon, or maybe just set a number and let whoever has him pick the arrows they want.

DigiMark007

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Paola
WARNING
off-topic
sorry for breaking up like this, I know I haven't visited this place like in ages, but just wondering... what happened to Evangel's tournament? huh

Yeah, it ended and Scoob won. About midway through it talks of this tourney started happening, and I ended up running it.

Laminator_X
Actually I was digging the idea of some old pulp characters, or characters from less successful comics like Sovereign Seven, Adventure Comics, Epic Illustrated & Dark Horse Presents short stories. We're kind of in a character rut aroung here and I thought it'd be fun to shake up the groupthink a little

Picking off-beat characters would give a player a better chance of getting the desired characters, but we'd need some way to make the necessary and agreed upon info accessable to everyone involved. Search for "Molly Savoy" and "Sovereign" for example. Google returns 6 links, all just issue/appearance indexes.

I'd also be one less person to for you to PM with "Sorry, Taskmaster's already taken." wink

As an aside, since this is a "street" tourney, what about a round that wasn't a deathmatch, but some kind of mystery or investigation. I dunno, it's just an idea.

long pig
About this body/mind deal.

Does that mean we'd have to choose one body with powers and two minds with only mental based powers?

Like if someone has blasts from their feet or something, and you choose his mind, you don't get the power?

Kinda seems silly cuz you really won't be able to use but two characters.....the third is there only for knowledge.

Khellendros
About this body/mind deal.

Does that mean we'd have to choose one body with powers and two minds with only mental based powers?

Like if someone has blasts from their feet or something, and you choose his mind, you don't get the power?

Kinda seems silly cuz you really won't be able to use but two characters.....the third is there only for knowledge.
The way I understand it is that you take three power/skillsets, jam them into one body, then take the experience required to use those powers/skills and give them to one mind. So, really, the body doesn't matter nearly so much as the mind, cause if you have Wolverine as a choice, but want a cooler head in battle, you can just take his skills and stick them in a calmer person's mind.

Nataku8188
Say we pick Hawkeye, spider-man and cyclops, could we have;

Spider-mans body, hawkeye's equipment, cyclops' blasts and Hawkeyes mind?

long pig

I'd think it'd be Spiderman's body, SM's mind, HE's equipment & mind, cyclops' blast and mind.

I mean, otherwise it isn't an actual amalgam.

Khellendros

I would assume so...

Nataku8188
I'd think it'd be Spiderman's body, SM's mind, HE's equipment & mind, cyclops' blast and mind.

I mean, otherwise it isn't an actual amalgam.

Well he said we only get one MIND, but we get all the experience and skill of the other characters... and giving someone cyclops' blasts would also be like spider-mans strength, as it comes with his body and his genes...

I think we should be able to take Cyclops body, put spider-mans spider-abilities (Strength, speed, sense) into it, and equip him with hawkeyes shit and have hawkeye command the whole package.

DigiMark007
It's one body (which you'll choose) with all the minds mashed together. Unless the power is specific to the body (like strength or durability for example), but most powers will simply transfer (like Cyke's eye beams, Spidey spider-sense, and any fighting ability). And the minds will transfer everyone's inherent fighting knowledge and other 'powers' (like Hawkeye having great marksmanship).

So ideally you won't be losing any powers or experience in your amalgams...the only way that could happen is if you had two strong or durable characters, and you'd have to choose one of them.

Not quite sure yet, but let's say you have Cap, Daredevil, and Hawkeye. Do you get the cane, shield, or bow/arrows? Or all three? In a case like this I'd probably say something like "You'd be able to carry two of the three. Choose." At this point, if they're smart, they say "Bow and arrows, and Cap's shield." They'd still have DD's powers and fighting prowess (as well as Hawkeye's), but possibly not his strength if they picked Cap's body.

DigiMark007
Also, Agent Zero?? Yay or nay? I really don't know much about him, I just reacted after I saw LP saying he'd beat Hulk, but Khell backed him as an acceptable street-level guy.

Nataku8188
Agent Zero is really just a weaker version of black panther if his opponent doesn't have a healing factor

DigiMark007
Yeah, ok. Agent Zero seems fine...I looked up a bio on him too, and two people (besides LP) have backed him. It'll be nice to have a foil to the healers. He's hereby reinstated into the draft pool.

Nataku8188
Yeah, ok. Agent Zero seems fine...I looked up a bio on him too, and two people (besides LP) have backed him. It'll be nice to have a foil to the healers. He's hereby reinstated into the draft pool.

Does this mean I can draft Hulk because he's got super healing ?

DigiMark007
Sure, Hulk's fine. You'll just have to stay as Banner or you'll go over the strength limit....but I'm sure someone will figure out a way to use that to their advantage.

P.S. Stan Lee is street-level. You'd have the omnipotent power of endless alliterative phrases!!

DigiMark007
Ok, so we pretty much have everything set. One last thing...

Don't be stupid about picks and try to pick characters that are way too powerful. Between me and 15 other people, no one will be "sneaking picks through" that are a little over the limits, so spare yourself the trouble.

And to mix things up I made the "doesn't have to be comic people" rule. But if you can't find a good link, the website to their TV show, movie, video game, book, etc. won't work. Establish that they're within the rules, or at least provide a bio with some rough powers, or else you can't use them. This should stay primarily comics...the extra options just make it a bit more intriguing.

I'll post this all again in the draft thread, along with a fresh copy of the rules.

zachrivard
do we sign up and have first pick sunday at noon?? at the same time??

DigiMark007
No, just sign up. When the sign-ups are done, I'll make the first draft thread. There won't be an announcement like there was for the sign-up thread...it will just happen.

zachrivard
same day??

zachrivard
" it'll just happen" i think u should give us a heads up

DigiMark007
" it'll just happen" i think u should give us a heads up

K, how about this. Once we have 15 signed up and at least a few alternates, I'll come on and announce who is "in" and also that the first draft thread will be up in about a day or so. It'll give everyone a little bit of time, but won't tell you exactly when the thread will be started (even I won't know for sure since it will depend on my schedule).

stormfront13
what if we sign up, but miss the first draft?

Laminator_X
I doubt you could miss the draft entirely, you'd just end up last in line for chasracters. Not a problem unless you really had your heart set on Spidey, Wolverine, Batman, or the like.

Laminator_X
J

long pig
What about a character who can effect other characters with super powers?
Like there's this old man who can screw with other characters super powers with great concentration, would he be allowed?

DigiMark007
Originally posted by stormfront13
what if we sign up, but miss the first draft?

Then you'll just have to make it up in the 2nd round of drafting and have less people to choose from. If a person misses two drafts, however, at that point I'd probably call in an alternate to replace him/her.

It'll depend on an individual basis, but I'd say he's probably ok. Would he beat Carnage or violate any of the limits? If not, then you're probably fine (but since I don't know everything about him yet that isn't an official ruling). Sounds like an interesting choice. Oh, and your boy Agent Zero is back in.

zachrivard
angent zero is allowed

DigiMark007
angent zero is allowed

Yeah, and just so everyone knows who's been causing this trouble the last couple pages, here's a decent bio on him (if someone picks him, feel free to use this link).

http://www.marveldatabase.com/wiki/index.php/Agent_Zero

He's no better than a lot of people in the fighting department, he's just particularly useful against healers like Logan or Deadpool.

I was going to update the rules again, but they really haven't changed much. Check page 5 for them...the only difference is that Agent Zero is off the banned list.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it...

In the last tournament, Evangel made a rule that all participants had to vote in all the other matches or they would be docked points in their own matches. The rule was never really enforced. I'm not going quite that far, but I will say something like "All entrants must votes in at least 3 other first-round matches or they will lose a vote in their own match." There'll be 8 first round matches, so that shouldn't be hard. And if they're the first match and win, but then don't vote in any after them, they'll be penalized the next round...not a perfect system, but it at least makes it worthwhile to vote. I'll make a similar rule for later rounds as they happen. And I'll actually enforce it this time. Hopefully this won't be a problem, because everyone should want to vote and not have to feel like it's an obligation...but just in case, this rule will be there. At some point during draft-PM's I'll remind everyone of this so no one will be able to say "I never read that part of the thread."

DigiMark007
Based off of some PM's I've had...Added to the banned list: Omega Red, T-1000 Terminator (or any version of the Terminator for that matter), Maelstrom (yeah, the same guy Khell had in the herald tourney).

Khellendros
Based off of some PM's I've had...Added to the banned list: Omega Red, T-1000 Terminator (or any version of the Terminator for that matter), Maelstrom (yeah, the same guy Khell had in the herald tourney).
laughing laughing

Scoobless

grrr... i told you to keep the T-1000 thing quiet.... lol

(he mighta got through..... embarrasment )

smile

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Scoobless
grrr... i told you to keep the T-1000 thing quiet.... lol

(he mighta got through..... embarrasment )

smile

Actually, you only said to keep that other guy quiet...but the T-1000 wasn't getting through. stick out tongue

long pig
Wtf, Maelstrom?

Scoobless
who asked about Maelstrom?

lol

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Scoobless
who asked about Maelstrom?

lol

Sorry, can't say...For one, it would be a breach of privacy. For another, I honestly don't remember and I'm too lazy to find the PM. wink

I got a kick out of it though...not knowing what he's capable of, you might assume that kinetic draining would be acceptable...but that's why we set limits and have drafts and a guy in charge.

Also...I'm getting some fun PM's about non-comic characters. Remember, you're limited only by the tourney rules. Any book character, movie character, video game character, etc. is fair game. Comic characters might be safer (and sometimes smarter) but as long as you find a decent bio (which, if you really search, can be found for most people) and they meet the limits, they're viable options...and you'll get the "Oh Sh*t! Awesome pick" validation from the other people when you draft them (or at least me...I enjoy the diversity).

I'll award the honorary KMC Purple Heart (i.e. nothing at all) to my favorite three picks...mainly because I'm bored right now and should've stopped typing a couple paragraphs ago.

Khellendros
Hey, I have another question. I know things like adamantium and othe rimplants should stay in the original body, but what about things like enhances senses? If, for instance, I pick Daredevil and Iron Fist, can I give Danny's body DD's radar sense?

long pig
Hey, I have another question. I know things like adamantium and othe rimplants should stay in the original body, but what about things like enhances senses? If, for instance, I pick Daredevil and Iron Fist, can I give Danny's body DD's radar sense?
I don't understand why we can't mix and match body parts, say wolverine's bones inside spiderman's body.

So Spiderman would have claws.

But either way is cool, it makes it interestingly hard to find the right characters.

Scoobless
I don't understand why we can't mix and match body parts, say wolverine's bones inside spiderman's body.

So Spiderman would have claws.

But either way is cool, it makes it interestingly hard to find the right characters.

well part of Spider-Man's strength, agility and durability comes from the elasticity of his bones.... so it might hinder the overall amalgam to give him adamantium bones

DigiMark007
Yeah, Logan's healing would transfer regardless, but with something like the skeleton I'm not sure. I think I specified that only things like strength and durability couldn't tranfer, so honestly, for the sake of making someone like Wolverine a good pick, I don't see why the adamantium claws wouldn't tranfer. The whole skeleton would come along, so it might hinder him like Scoob said, but I think if we just make strength and durability (and anything else like that that's strictly body-related) it'll make it easier to mix-&-match amalgams.

Whirlysplatt
Is Karate Kid allowed as he has no powerssmile

Dizzle
He has no powers, but his skill is so great that he fights at a level waaaaaaaay the heck beyond powerful street types.

And by that I mean heck no. He freaking stalemated Superboy.

DigiMark007
Yeah, KK is banned. Too powerful.

Scoobless
yeah... Tony Stark doesn't have any powers either.... but i assume you can't take him with his toys

Laminator_X
You could draft Daniel-san though wink

Scoobless
Originally posted by Laminator_X
You could draft Daniel-san though wink

what about Galactus without his powers, but with all his resources and gadgets?

Nataku8188
Can I draft the lead singer of Shadows fall? I'm sure I can find a use for all that hair.

Scoobless
Can I draft the lead singer of Shadows fall? I'm sure I can find a use for all that hair.

f*ck you..... you have to beat me to him

ya c**t!

(sorry..... i'm pretty friggin drunk)

Dizzle
Pure, unadulturated wisdom, freshly imported from Scotland.

Nataku8188
I'm surprised you're ever sober.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Dizzle
Pure, unadulturated wisdom, freshly imported from Scotland.

what the f*ck is "Shadows Fall" anyway?

i remind you of my continual drunken state.........

big grin

Nataku8188
Band.

Scoobless
any good?

Nataku8188
Meh. Seen em twice, at Ozzfest this year and 2003, they are overrated, IMO.

Scoobless
just before i retire for the evening......... i'd like you all to know....... (still drunk by the way).......... my amalgam character.... though still incomplete..... will crush all of your creations like lego blocks beneath a steamroller

(if they are all allowed)

lol

smile

Khellendros
So, can we have a bit more info about when exactly the drafting is gonna begin? It's 6:30 my time, and the drafting starts in four hours, but I'm exhausted. I'm kinda curious if I can expect to get a nap in before drafting or if it's gonna be real quick after signups.

long pig
So, can we have a bit more info about when exactly the drafting is gonna begin? It's 6:30 my time, and the drafting starts in four hours, but I'm exhausted. I'm kinda curious if I can expect to get a nap in before drafting or if it's gonna be real quick after signups.
Sure ol' chum, go take your nap, we will wait for you to wake up before posting our picks.

Khellendros
Sure ol' chum, go take your nap, we will wait for you to wake up before posting our picks.
I'm not asking you to wait, I'm trying to find out if I can work some shuteye in around Digi's schedule. Wanker.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>