TCM or The Exorcist: Which was more shocking?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
The original 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre vs. The Exorcist: Which was more shocking, not SCARY, or HORRIFYING, but more shocking. One movie depicts a 12 year old little girl masturbating with a crucifix bellowing, "Let Jesus f**k you!!", and vomiting green slime on priests, and another movie that shows an inbred, cannibalistic hillbilly impaling teenagers on meathooks and eviscerating them with a chainsaw. In my opinion, both movies are classic examples of horror, and a must own for any horror buffs collection, although some of you may disagree. We can all admit that when these two movie were released in the mid-1970's, they were VERY shocking to the unsuspecting American public. Some reports were conformed, of people watching both movies in theaters, of people walikng out in a state of shock, some fainting, and some even RUNNING out screaming. What is your opinion? Which movie do you think was more shocking? Why?

kmcdude
I am not a real religous person,so for me,I would simply say ''TCM''

Cinemaddiction
Eh, "The Exorcist" is a good film without the overt, over the top, "Oh My God" blasphemy. That said, it was all for shock value. "TCM" and its realism is still the real shock sensation.

Impediment
I don't think being religious or not should impede an honest answer. I'm an atheist, and the first time I watched The Exorcist at age 10 it shocked me, not only the crucifix masturbation scene and the blatant blashphemy, but the rest of the dialogue and some of the visuals. Especially if you read the book, there are MANY more shocking passages therein. The only reason it truly shocked me is because at that time in my life I was never exposed to such displays. The same with TCM and the violence, although I will agree with what Backfire says about "implied violence" when we never actually see the damage Leatherface does to the teens when he attacks them and we are left to what our imaginations conjure up within. Can what we "see" as violence in our minds be construed as shocking?

Impediment
With that said, I should have included in my opening another important question: What do YOU construe as shocking? Would you agree that these two films are, indeed, on a certain level, truly shocking?

kmcdude
Both of them are to a certain level,for sure.But finding ''TCM'' more offensive is my personal opinion.

kmcdude
Originally posted by Impediment
I don't think being religious or not should impede an honest answer.

No,I totally disagree with that,What you are basicly saying is that a deeply ''religous'' person would not find this more offensive than someone''who would ''happily'' burn 10 bibles for a bit of weed''.

Somehow.............I dont think so no expression

SlipknoT
The Exorcist is Amazingly Over rated. Either way TCM.

Deano
ive always liked the exorcist, people say its borin but i think the character development is important, people need a bit more of an attention span. its better than just some random dumb teenagers getting sliced up. im sounding like im hating tcm, im not. its gritty, wierd and a true classic but in my opinion i would rather watch the exorcist.

Cinemaddiction
With that said, I should have included in my opening another important question: What do YOU construe as shocking? Would you agree that these two films are, indeed, on a certain level, truly shocking?

They were when they were released, but with so many ACTUAL shocking scandals in the church, and a general desensitization of the public in general, "The Exorcist" falls kind of flat in the way of shock value. The horrific implications even now in TCM are still somewhat shocking, because it's still one of the most depraved movies around.

Impediment
Originally posted by kmcdude
No, I totally disagree with that, What you are basicly saying is that a deeply ''religous'' person would not find this more offensive than someone''who would ''happily'' burn 10 bibles for a bit of weed''.

Somehow.............I dont think so

Well, thats not necessarily what I meant, Dude. But what if that "deeply religious" person or any other of these Christians didn't flip out "Billy Graham" style and burn copies of the Exorcist novel and curse the name of William Peter Blatty and realize that The Exorcist, shocking as it is, is actually a story of faith and strength, and the the triumph over evil?

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
They were when they were released, but with so many ACTUAL shocking scandals in the church, and a general desensitization of the public in general, "The Exorcist" falls kind of flat in the way of shock value. The horrific implications even now in TCM are still somewhat shocking, because it's still one of the most depraved movies around.

I will strongly agree that the public in general has been VERY desensitized since the 1970's, but I would not necessarily say that The Exorcist has shock value for only those of a certain faith structure. Is that what you're saying, CD?

Hornyman
The original 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre vs. The Exorcist: Which was more shocking, not SCARY, or HORRIFYING, but more shocking. One movie depicts a 12 year old little girl masturbating with a crucifix bellowing, "Let Jesus f**k you!!", and vomiting green slime on priests, and another movie that shows an inbred, cannibalistic hillbilly impaling teenagers on meathooks and eviscerating them with a chainsaw. In my opinion, both movies are classic examples of horror, and a must own for any horror buffs collection, although some of you may disagree. We can all admit that when these two movie were released in the mid-1970's, they were VERY shocking to the unsuspecting American public. Some reports were conformed, of people watching both movies in theaters, of people walikng out in a state of shock, some fainting, and some even RUNNING out screaming. What is your opinion? Which movie do you think was more shocking? Why?

Just the idea of TCM of being real gave it a more chilling effect over the unealistic Exorcist.

Cinemaddiction

I will strongly agree that the public in general has been VERY desensitized since the 1970's, but I would not necessarily say that The Exorcist has shock value for only those of a certain faith structure. Is that what you're saying, CD?

Not at all. Just saying now, regardless of your religious stance, the blasphemous approach in "The Exorcist" really isn't all that over the top. Atleast not to me this day and age.

Impediment
Originally posted by Hornyman
Just the idea of TCM of being real gave it a more chilling effect over the unealistic Exorcist.

I disagree. TCM is very believable and is based on real events, with a touch of imbelishment, of course. However, The Exorcist is very realistic in ways. Aside from the religious aspect, and the demonic possesion mumbo-jumbo, Father Karras explained to Chris Macneil that exorcisms have become a thing of the past ever since the discovery of mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and the like. So the behavior of Regan can be construed very much as realistic, i.e. her violent rages, her words and actions, and masturbations LOL.

b-dan
tcm all the way exorcist is boring as hell

Deano
all i can say is get an attention span.

tpaquin
The exorcist bothered me for weeks after I watched it. It was those pale faces. Scared the living shit out of me.

BackFire
TCM, simply because it's stood the test of time much better then the exorcist, IMO.

At the time it was made there had been nothing as depraved, raw, relentless or psychologically brutal as TCM, it used unique and new formulas that had never before been used in the genre, it's use of simple banging, rather then having an actual soundtrack, it's raw, honest depiction of the events on screen, and most importantly, there was never any lead up to any of the major events. The first time we see leatherface is one of the most shocking, surprising and disturbing scene in any horror film, because there was absolutely no lead up too it. There was no pounding music to increase the feeling of suspense and to let the audience know that something bad was going to happen soon, there was nothing to hint that anything was about to happen. One minute, they're looking for gas, the next, a faceless man appears and kills one of the main characters with a hammer, and then disappears as quickly as he appeared. Just one of the many amazing, shocking and unique styles of horror that have never been used as effectively since then. Even today, it's still incredibly jarring and shocking in it's style, depravity and raw soundtrack.

The exorcist was shocking in it's own right, but it was in a more basic "I can't believe they said that/did that/showed that" type of thing, nothing really more then that.

tabby999
agreed. The Exorcist was dull as all hell for me, not because i have a short attention span, but the movie really did nothing to hold my attention to begin with. TCM on the other hand was compelling, you watch, out of nowhere a guy with a hammer and chainsaw appear and neck on of the characters, you want to know whats gonna happen, you want to watch on, unlike The Exorcist which just drags on for bloody ages. so TCM = shocking and refreshing The Exorcist = dull

beta-wolf_101
Obviously we come to a branch in horror movie fans. One class likes to think and allow their mind to explore the possiblities in the film event occuring which in turn makes the fear linger long after its conclusion. The other rather not use a brain cell just watch mindless killing and gore repeatedly flashed across the screen until eventually it causes a short circuit in the brain which causes their fear switch to finally click on. But I geuss that just my opinion you all free to agree or disagree.

Mattomic
Gotta be Texas Chainsaw Massacre, one of the true horror classics.....chilling and disturbing with a very depressing tone and theme from the start, you also feel the genuinity of the situation, and how very possible it is to occur, the family are very intimidating and make the movie what it is, it also has a much faster pace and more action than Exorcist, not to say I don't like it, but it just isn't for me as much as TCM

Deano
id pick the exorcist any day because there is never been another film like it

tcm was gritty and realistic but its been copyed to death over the years

WindDancer
Both films have very haunting and disturbing images. But what makes TCM even more disturbing is because there were (and still are) claims that the film was based on real events that occur in Texas. And to avoid getting into the TCM and Ed Gein controversy (Because is a whole separate topic) let me just say that TCM gain more popularity over other movies because of that belief that the film was actually based on real events.

For me both films had very shocking scenes (I was only 12 when I saw the films). In The Exorcist Regan starts to play with crucifix and in TCM when Leather face cuts the wheel chair guy in half. That stay with me for years.

Pandemoniac
Well, both movies have a reputation that goes ahead of them. Both are legendary classics, no doubt about that.
But for me; I heard the stories of both movies before I saw them myself and when I first saw TCM I thought 'Is that what all the fuss is about?'
I liked it and it was a bit disturbing, but when I first saw The Exorsist, I went 'Damn! Now that is some freaky shit!'
Exorsist shocked me just a bit more, and it lived up to it's reputation better for me. The evil in it was more sadistic, relentless and darker.
TCM is pretty sick aswell, but I guess I just heard to many tales about just how sick it is so the surprise was screwed for me when I saw it.

Dr. Octagon
i voted TCM. Exorcist wasn't shocking, it was just weird. Both are classic though thumb up

Impediment
I still think, as a matter of opinion, that the only reason a large number of people, outside of our web community, say that The Exorcist is the most shocking is because of their religious standpoint. You take some ultra-bible beating-Billy Graham type christian and they will not only curse and damn TCM for its "desensitizing and unnecessary" violence, but they will utterly and relentlessly attack The Exorcist because of its sacrilege and blatant blasphemy. I also agree with those who say that even though TCM is still THE undisputed pinnacle and standard for psycho-slasher movies, it has been copied and mimicked too death over the years. The Exorcist is not nearly as violent, or in-your-face as TCM, because it is a psychological horror film. Remember, The Exorcist is not just about some 12 year old girl under demonic possesion with lots of foul language and gestures, but its also about the battling of inner demons of Father Karras and Chris Macneil. That said, I think that, like a matter of good taste, asking what one can construe as "shocking" is like asking if Dr. Pepper or Coke is the best soda in the world. No one person will ever have the same answer. Even though Dr. Pepper IS the best. LOL

Dr. Octagon
dr. pepper > coke thumb up

Mattomic
I must confess I watched Exorcist purely for the reputation it had, and I must say, I find it a boring movie now, i'm more of an fast paced action kinda guy, and for me Exorcist is just too still, little action.....good storyline, and great acting throughout, but I jus can't see how anyone can prefer it over TCM, TCM is fantastic in every way, brilliantly disturbing, yet compelling viewing at the same time, you get a real feeling of genuinity about the subject matter, and it has spawned the success of many other horror movies, like House of a 1,000 corpses, so it has given us a new genre within horror, timeless classic that will never die out, or fade into an old school typecast, gory, gripping and glorious

Deano
the exorcist is not meant to be about action. what did you want from it?
and i disagree that tcm is disturbing...its not.....henry portrait of a serial killer is disturbing...the acting is also pretty shitty in tcm
the exorcist has a brilliant story,it is brilliant directed and acted, and it leaves me more freaked out than tcm does. everything is flawless. i find it hard to imagine how more freaked i would of been if i was a religous person.

TCM is still a classic though and both films shoudnt be compared

Mattomic
Both are on different branches of the horror tree

Impediment
I'm not asking everyone in here to try and PROVE which movie is more shocking. I just wanted to know all of y'alls opinons. Nor am I asking them to be compared and/or critiqued in that manner. I, myself, vote for TCM as most shocking because of the overt violence and rawness of it all, but I think that the Exorcist has a much more involved storyline and character development. Plus I still giggle and enjoy myself when I watch the timeless images of Sally screaming and wailing in TCM. Both movies will always have a space on my DVD rack.

beta-wolf_101
You do realized that the Exorcist is a based on a book which in turn is based on journals by a preist who perform an actually exorcism on a boy in St.Louis. So if you wanted the fact that it may be based on real events they both had it and both were disturbing indeed (especially for those who understand it all the way through). But I still find the Exorcist more frighting not only because it aligns with my religious but be cause it was documented not passed by word of mouth through rumors.

Pandemoniac
Good point of view there. And even I, full atheist as I am and only afraid of what other humans are capable of, was more 'scared' by The Exorsist, instead of the more plausible danger TCM portrayed. The whole feel of it just got to my nerves better I guess.

Darth_Rankkor
I think both were shocking in the time they were released. If even now people get horrifyed with certain graphic violence imagine 20 or 30 years ago. Personally, it's all sheer fun for me.

evildeaddesigns
I preffer the chainsaw but shocking.................... The Exorcist

Rob Owns You
TCM all the way, I disliked The Exorcist because it was dull in my opinion. It made me laugh the first time I watched it more than shocked me. The TCM on the other hand had a sense of reality. Thats something that really could happen and the people got killed in realistic ways.

Mattomic
TCM IS disturbing, don't care what anyone says.....and is a much better and scarier movie than Exorcist

Impediment
TCM could be construed as more shockong because of the realism of the story, but Exorcist could be more because of the supernatural aspect of it. But what ever creams your Twinkie, I guess.

Gregory
I don't see what's particularly shocking about TCM; maybe that's just because it's been immitated so often. It's "12 year old little girl masturbating with a crucifix" vs. "inbred, cannibalistic hillbilly impaling teenagers on meathooks and eviscerating them with a chainsaw." Now, I'm the first to admit that I'm not a horror movie buff, but it seems to me that teenagers being violently murdered is pretty much a given in horror movies (or at least it was for a time)--nothing particularly shocking about it, from a horror movie point of view.

Deano
agreed
ive seen it so many times, doesnt shock me any more

but 12 year old girls masturbating with crosses does shock me

beta-wolf_101
I geuss that adds to the realism of the Exorcist, no one had impunity, not even a inocent 12 year-old girl. The TCM was great in its time but no one will be able to duplicate the Exorcist cause no one could be original in it. But the TCM can be done in so many different ways.

SlipknoT
Even though Dr. Pepper IS the best. LOL Mountian Dew all the way cool

Impediment
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Mountian Dew all the way cool

Now that, my friend, is shocking.

papabeard
Shocking at the time, not anymore.

Spelljammer
Exscorsist was everything evil should be and is. It was all about playing with the emotions and minds of others, making mothers feel powerless to an Unholy power that took control of a little girl's body and soul. And how preist's pray endlessly and thier faith begins to diminish, but ultimately they win. For now.. evil face

TCM was just another blood and gore fest, what is so disturbing about that? Unless you're one of those northern yuppies who thinks Michal Moore is the modern day Jesus Christ, that's the only way I could immagine this movie being classiefied as even a horror. Otherwise it's just an action movie with poor plot..

And shocking? What's so shocking about TCM? Wait, let me immagine the yuppy mindset for a moment.. *Hmms and rolls eyes in back of head*

"Is that a rebel flag?! Ohnoes!
What do you MEAN you don't sell tofu salad?!
Those children are picking on a little boy.. Wait, that's normal.. no wait, and he's black!"

Deano
Originally posted by Spelljammer
Exscorsist was everything evil should be and is. It was all about playing with the emotions and minds of others, making mothers feel powerless to an Unholy power that took control of a little girl's body and soul. And how preist's pray endlessly and thier faith begins to diminish, but ultimately they win. For now.. evil face

did they win though?

beta-wolf_101
no one can really tell cause they demon is forced out he just comes back in someone else and alot people end of dying along the way so it basicly a tie. Sorted like the War of 1812 ya know? We say we won they say they won,

Deano
well the demon says to karras that the exorcism would bring them closer together. it thought that was creepy and it seems the demon knows what will happen..thats why im not so sure about the so called happy ending

Spelljammer
Originally posted by Deano
well the demon says to karras that the exorcism would bring them closer together. it thought that was creepy and it seems the demon knows what will happen..thats why im not so sure about the so called happy ending
You have to remember, the demon that possesed her was Pazuzu. He was known for family values, demons are malicous but CAN be good. Pazuzu demanded ussualy the first born child but could bring good fortune to families which he sympathized for and helped grow crops.. He also helped beat the ass of far more malevolent demon..

Deano
the demon did no good in that movie..it was pure evil

Impediment
Pazuzu didn't win because Karras drove it from Regan's soul. Karras sacrificed himself to save Regan from possession. The ultimate goal of the demon was to bring despair and woe to those who encounterd it. Just because Father Karras died it doesn't mean Pazuzu won. It lost.

Deano
it did bring despair and woe, and it hink that the family would be scarred for life

Spelljammer
Which is why he's one of my more favorite demons! \m/ evil face \m/

Him and the female demon Fraw Selga anyway. Who has the power to let you gaze into the fires of Hell to scry and find out who will die and when within the next year..

Deano
is the new exorcist any good? not the beginning.the other one..cant remember its name

beta-wolf_101
Have you guys ever seen the Exorcist III :Legion? It might make alittle more sense because it makes so that Karras is possesed just as his soul leaves his body. Its actually kinda intresting.

Deano
i rlly wanna see it, ive heard its the true sequel cos the 2nd one sucked

Impediment
Huh? Are you talking about the "banned" version of the prequel?

Deano
the third film

Impediment
Ahh. I haven't seen part 3 since i was 15. Not a bad film though. Part 2 sucked.

beta-wolf_101
I agree the second Exorcist shouldn't have been made, III would have made a much better sequel. I liked it because it definately played off of what Pazuzu said about "bring us together". It makes you think, maybe Karras was the original target and Regan was just a detour. Karras would have made a better possesion ya know? Preist with failing faith becomes a murder or something? That would have been better. But what I mosted liked about III was that it was a dead killer instead of another demon no one has really heard of.

Impediment
Everything's eventual. Exorcist and TCM were fantastic movies, then the sequels were released and it was all downhill from there. Nothing shocking about those movies AT ALL.

beta-wolf_101
I agree so so SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much with that.

beta-wolf_101
Except for the third Exorcist it was pretty good and why aren't you guys talking on my thread.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.