Why do Philosophers get involved in Politics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WindDancer
Ever wonder why most philosophers get themselves involved in political matters? Plato made the Republic, Aristotle gave us his Politics, and John Locke introduce us to his Two Treatises of Government. Why did these men who are Philosophers and seekers of Knowledge indulge themselves in government dilemas? Is governing the masses more important than seeking a greater knowledge? Ask these questions to your philosopher teachers and wait for the answer wink

Storm
Political philosophers seek to establish basic principles that will, for instance, justify a particular form of state, show that individuals have certain inalienable rights, or tell us how a society' s material resources should be shared among its members. This usually involves analysing and interpreting ideas like freedom, justice, authority and democracy and then applying them in a critical way to the social and political institutions that currently exist. Some political philosophers have tried primarily to justify the prevailing arrangements of their society, others have painted pictures of an ideal state or an ideal social world that is very different from anything we have so far experienced.

Where does political authority come from? What makes a government legitimate or illegitimate? What does economic justice means and to what degree is a society justified in creating it? What is the value of tolerance in a community and just how far can a requirement for tolerance be taken? If people have rights, what are they and are rights something that exist for individuals or groups? All of these are important questions.
Political philosophy involves the principles for proper governance and concerns the nature and forms of power.

Fire
Would indeed be a nice question WD.

I think certainly in the old days (Plato and Aristotle) a lot of the politicians were either philosophers or soldiers, maybe on a rare occasion both.

I think almost every philosopher has wandered into politics at some point in his thinking. Politics envolves a whole lot and in my opinion it is one of the weirdest cultural phenomena of the human race.

Why do some people strive to gain political power, even if it doesn't is real power (like a lot of politicians today)?

Why do humans build these complex structures and ideas on how to live and how to govern themselves.

I think those, certainly the last, are questions that philosophers try to answer when they get into politics.

Atlantis001
Let me think...... mmmm... because politics is philosophy !?

Fire
well they are not exactly the same, but the two are entwined, altho I'd say more in the past than in the present.

debbiejo
Maybe because they want to help with the understanding that
"Man is the only creature who refuses to be what he is."

Fire
Now there's a statement I disagree with

Fire
What is man except for man? and then the more important question, What makes man man?

WindDancer
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Let me think...... mmmm... because politics is philosophy !?

We could throw in Psychology...but that will be too broad. Anyways, the point is why do philosophers feel the need to intervene in political matters? Sure, I can see is their desire to understand human behavior. And how that behavior is shaped by leadership. I think that philosophers engage more into the issue of Authority of a human over another human. And that in order to have a society there must be a social contract that keeps us from harming each other. Are we really savages without laws and government to control us?

Carnage_MUtants
Well to answer the question, why philosophers get involved in politics, I would have to say because politics govern men. It is in political settings that the leaders of Rome, England, or the US determine what law to dictate unto their people. Philosophers, who try and reason out the meaning of important matters and how or why to live a certain way, can get into politics and convince people of their cetain thoughts or actions. They can debate their reasoning amongst those who make laws and govern.

So, in essence, by seeking a greater knowledge, a philosopher would want to convey that knowledge to the masses. I think the two would go hand in hand. And as some pointed out, you can do both. You can govern the masses and search for higher knowledge. In fact, I hope that is what ALL governing bodies are doing. Unfotunately, I am not so sure... sadwalk

Atlantis001

debbiejo
Originally posted by Fire
Now there's a statement I disagree with

Well I didn't study philosophy, but don't philosophers feel that man should know themselves throughly...and maybe they think they'll go into politics because they know all these "Supposed Truths?"...Because they are the enlightened to it........Or maybe it's just because philosophers just like to sit around and argue...then end it with "It's only subjective."

"What makes man..man?"...Hmmmmmmm our intellect....but then I hear dolphins are pretty intelligent too....maybe even more civilized...

Maybe that should be a new thread topic...

Atlantis001
Yeah.. like "Are dophins more civilized than humans ?" smile

shaber
Idealists get nowhere in politics.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Yeah.. like "Are dophins more civilized than humans ?" smile

Go ahead start a new one....you're last idea was good.. big grin

WindDancer
Originally posted by Carnage_MUtants
Well to answer the question, why philosophers get involved in politics, I would have to say because politics govern men. It is in political settings that the leaders of Rome, England, or the US determine what law to dictate unto their people. Philosophers, who try and reason out the meaning of important matters and how or why to live a certain way, can get into politics and convince people of their cetain thoughts or actions. They can debate their reasoning amongst those who make laws and govern.

That I can agree with. Both the State and the Citizen need each other. Is a balance that all citizens must agree with. To live in a productive state is the benefit of all members of government and civilians. And in certain cases....foreigners.

Capt_Fantastic
I agree the two can be one in the same. But there is a difference between a philosopher AND philosophy.

shaber
All successful politicians have compromised on their philosophy.

Bardock42
Well Philosophy is a big field...Politics is one of the parts that Philosophers are concerned with.....I think the Philosophy you are thinking of is nowadays called MetaPhysics....and it indeed is the core of Modern Philosophy, but not everything....

lil bitchiness
I believe philosophers are the ones who truly understand the Politcs and nature of them. Thats why most of them were never politicians wink

JediMusician
I think most philosophers who start down the path of politics are inspired to do so out of a desire to help others. Philosophers tend be fair and just, and whatever influence they are able to affect within politics is usually a positive one.

Tangible God
Originally posted by WindDancer
Ever wonder why most philosophers get themselves involved in political matters? Plato made the Republic, Aristotle gave us his Politics, and John Locke introduce us to his Two Treatises of Government. Why did these men who are Philosophers and seekers of Knowledge indulge themselves in government dilemas? Is governing the masses more important than seeking a greater knowledge? Ask these questions to your philosopher teachers and wait for the answer wink It's becasue top offiials in said gov't hired the philosophers to do what they did. The philosophers were promised continueous grants and drunk white women presented in a gift basket of bourbon.

It tells you so in the book, "The Dummy's guide to Tom-Foolery."

Curl_Up&Dye
everything in one way or another branches from philosophy

WindDancer
Great replies everyone. I'm thinking that the reason philosophers get involved into politics is because of the humanitarism within them to help and secure a better future for everyone. Even if some of their theories or ideas may seem as despotism or Dictatorships. They're presenting and idea to benefit humanity. And if possible each individual.

After all what are the basic needs? Food, clothes, home and sex. Why would you want more when you can have enough for survival? A Political Philosopher seeks to understand that if the basic needs for a human are provided it should be sufficient for survival. If too much is given to the individual then we lose control. And thus society has no balance. Following what I'am saying here?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.