Firefox crashing after update

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lana
Okay, so this morning Firefox decides to install some update, a Quality Check thing or something (it installed it on it's own, I didn't do anything). As soon as it did that, it shut down Firefox, giving me the standard "error and needs to close" box.

I FINALLY manage to find IE so I can try and download and reinstall Firefox. I reinstall it, and try to open it. Still get the error message. I try installing Mozilla Navigator. Open it, it crashes, error. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled both and it still crashes. I try reinstalling an older version of Firefox that I have saved on my computer (1.0.4) and still it crashes, saying there's an error.

Anyone have any idea what's causing this? I know it's not a virus as I just did a scan, as well as cleaned up spyware. I'm on Avant Browser at the moment, which seems to be working okay, but I'd much rather be able to use Firefox.

Thunderbird, btw, is still working fine, it's just Firefox and Mozilla Navigator that won't work.

T.M
i was just going to make a thread about my firefox crashing. but seeing as though this is here there is no point.

My firefox has been crashing recently as i said but only when i post something on KMC (prob other things aswell but havent tried) other than that it is fine. does anyone know of any solutions to this problem ?

yerssot
what's the exact error message?
and if more people have that problem, it might be a problem on their end

Lana
Just a typical generic error window -- I just tried opening it and got the same thing, so I screencapped it.

And yes I'm too damn lazy to crop it to just the error box stick out tongue

yerssot
"Please tell Microsoft about this problem".... so they can show they aren't the only sucky explorerprogram laughing out loud

have you defragmentated your disk lately?

Lana
Umm.....fairly recently.....think it was a week or two ago. I think I'll set it to defragment before I go to bed tonight (as it takes freakin' forever) and hope it finishes by morning and see if that helps any.....

Clovie
i didn't have any problems huh

shellie
yes I had the same problem.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f79/t358632.html

and mine still wont work erm

Lana
You said yours just wouldn't connect to sites.....mine doesn't open, period. Every time I try and open it it crashes with an error message.

And it still doesn't work. And I hate Avant browser.

erm

shellie
either way...its fukked. Ive tried everything I could and still nothing.

Lana
Well, not having the problem anymore.....

But that's because I had to reformat my computer because of a ****ing virus erm

SamuraiSquirrel
what i dont get is why these ****ing net nerds have so much spare time that they can program a virus, what is that about?

Sorgo
Same thing happened to me. I didn't even get no error message. It just wouldn't friggin' open!

It's working now.

BTW, Lana you almost have all the programs i do on your desktop! hehehe!

Lana
*sighs*

I gotta reinstall all that crap now!

I nearly had a heart attack when I couldn't find my Photoshop CD earlier....

bilb
Happened to me too.. a week ago.. then again we had EVERYTHING lock up on us.. even simple programs like word & all so we had to reformat.. i lost everything sad

lesson is: BACK UP ALL YOUR FILES KIDS

Raz
Originally posted by Lana
Okay, so this morning Firefox decides to install some update, a Quality Check thing or something (it installed it on it's own, I didn't do anything). As soon as it did that, it shut down Firefox, giving me the standard "error and needs to close" box.

I FINALLY manage to find IE so I can try and download and reinstall Firefox. I reinstall it, and try to open it. Still get the error message. I try installing Mozilla Navigator. Open it, it crashes, error. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled both and it still crashes. I try reinstalling an older version of Firefox that I have saved on my computer (1.0.4) and still it crashes, saying there's an error.

Anyone have any idea what's causing this? I know it's not a virus as I just did a scan, as well as cleaned up spyware. I'm on Avant Browser at the moment, which seems to be working okay, but I'd much rather be able to use Firefox.

Thunderbird, btw, is still working fine, it's just Firefox and Mozilla Navigator that won't work. Try creating a new Firefox profile: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new

Your current one may be corrupt.

Jedi Priestess
OK that didnt work. When I did that and tried to start it, it kept trying over and over to start and I couldnt shut it down from the task manager either. Had to go into run and run the profile manager and delete the extra profile.

I dont get it, my FF was working just fine until one day it decides to shoot craps. sad

Lana
JP, definitely do a virus scan and start backing up files, just in case erm because mine worked fine and just crashed one day and I had to wipe my harddrive last week because I discovered I had a virus that I couldn't get rid of (it kept causing my computer to restart while I was trying to scan it).

Jedi Priestess
Ok I have virus scanned this thing 7 ways from Sunday and absolutely nothing shows up. Backing up is impossible as ye ole burner is dead and I'm loathe to reformat as I'd lose all my music and all my Smallvillle episodes which amount to 14 gigs on their own.

Firefox isnt the only thing running wacked. Ever since I switched servers going from DSL to cable I cant update any of my exisisting programs. They all say I dont have a connection to the net when I try and update. sad

Lana
Hmm.....that could be that when you switched from DSL to cable, your settings didn't get changed properly.

(when I had to reformat, I lost 36gb of stuff cry)

Jedi Priestess
*sigh* I just gave up and did a destructive recovery. This blows. sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.