Musical Awakening...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
Ever had a time in your life where music was THEE only thing you loved? I was that way back in High School, and into college. Nothing that would rival AC's library, but..a lot..and of my favorite bands. Now, things kind of changed over the years, and I wasn't so much "into" the scene, relying on my old favorites like Hatebreed and Meshuggah.

As of late, I think I've kind of rekindled that old flame I had with music in general. I NEVER buy albums brand new in stores. In the past 24 hours, I've bought two, both Arch Enemy albums. I went and sold MOVIES so I could buy CDs! That's TOTALLY unlike me, and is usually the other way around.

I gotta say, I'm really enjoying getting back to my love for music, and movies of course. Anyone else ever had a dry spell, only to pick it back up?

Alpha Centauri
I think CDs are just such an awesome commodity. I order so many CDs off the net but there really is not many feelings that can better the one that you get when walking out of a music store with a handful or more of albums. After paying of course, I don't condone stealing. I'm a fan of law and not too keen on those who break it in THIS case. So don't steal.

One of the main reasons I think downloading sucks, besides the obvious, is because it just takes so much away from the experience. I love buying an album, getting the artwork, the disc and actually owning the CD.

I recently bought 18 CDs off Play.Com, not a major bulk purchase compared to what I'm used to but rather good. Can never have too much music.

I have spells in the sense of genre. I have parts where I'm really into the Hip Hop side of things and though I'll still of course listen to Rock, it kinda takes a back seat. Then I'll switch back, though that doesn't happen often.

One thing I can relate to is not listening to a band/album for a while and then rediscovering them.

-AC

tabby999
i agree with you completly AC, i dont dig having burnt cds over real ones. sure, i do have burnt cds, but in most cases its because either:
1. i cant get the cd in Aus and cant afford to order it in.
2. want to know if the cd is worth my money, in which case, the burnt one will be replaced and the burnt copy will be passed on to someone else.

having the cd, with the lyrics, the band, the cover art, the whole package feels 100% more satisfying than having a slimline cover with a cd in it.
normally, i'll save for months, then go to a major city and buy up. but if something really special comes out (new Fear Factory, new SOAD, whatever) i'll buy it locally, irrelevant of the cost

Victor Von Doom
I usually prioritise music amongst my non-serious activities.

I don't even usually download to preview, I'll usually take a gamble on a cd based upon reviews.

As a result I have a fair few cds.

SlipknoT
I love buying the album, I love everything you get with it and just having a collection, recently I've been buying more Than I have in the past, Mosty Old School Metal Albums I didnt have but still..

StinkFist462
i only download non-album tracks. like b-sides which i dont feel like buying a cd for 10$ just to get like 10 remixes and a b-side.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by StinkFist462
i only download non-album tracks. like b-sides which i dont feel like buying a cd for 10$ just to get like 10 remixes and a b-side.

Sir, this is a case based upon the copyright infringement of the Defendant.

'I didn't feel like buying it'

Case dismissed!

StinkFist462
its not like i download 700 songs every month.

so far, under my downloads. i have 17 songs. and i been using it since the end of last year.

RagnaViper
It took me a long time to get into music, but when I was in there was nothing stopping me. Music has been my passion ever since.

I've had awakenings toward genres (such as Industrial two years ago), but overall I've always been a complete music head.

Cinemaddiction
I'm not much on downloading, I like the tangible aspect of owning music. I admit to even unwrapping it AT the store outside. Cheapo, a huge music store here, both their garbage cans outside have the seal stickers all over them. I once saw Opeth, Ben Harper, Weezer, Sneaker Pimps, and a select other few on there. Silly as it sounds, it was beautiful to see.

I'm on a Swedish metal kick, so I figured I'd get the new Soilwork, and possible the re-release of In Flames' "Soundtrack To Your Escape".

RagnaViper
In Flames and Soilwork, eh? Cinema, have you checked out Dark Tranquility? They're an awesome death metal band.

Anyone interested NEEDS The Gallery, arguably their best album. Easily my favorite straight up death metal album.

StinkFist462
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I'm not much on downloading, I like the tangible aspect of owning music. I admit to even unwrapping it AT the store outside. Cheapo, a huge music store here, both their garbage cans outside have the seal stickers all over them. I once saw Opeth, Ben Harper, Weezer, Sneaker Pimps, and a select other few on there. Silly as it sounds, it was beautiful to see.

I'm on a Swedish metal kick, so I figured I'd get the new Soilwork, and possible the re-release of In Flames' "Soundtrack To Your Escape".

what cheapo you go to?

RedAlertv2
I will admit to downloading music but I agree that it is awesome to buy the actual album and have the lyrics, art, etc.

Victor Von Doom
Haha, wait.

There's a music shop called Cheapo?

Alpha Centauri
That's almost too great to be true.

-AC

jks
I've been into music since I was about 7. A friend of mine's older brother was way into ozzy, and since "the older kids" are "cool", we all listened to ozzy. HE went to the ozzy concert one night and the next day we all were asking him about how good was ozzy and he said ozzy was awesome, but the opening band blew him off the stage. The opening act was metallica. It just rolled from thereand got my first guitar when I was 10 and have been playing since 1988.

As far as dloading goes, there are reasons why i can see why people would do it. If you buy a cdand something happens to it like it being stolen. or for out of print material.

StinkFist462
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Haha, wait.

There's a music shop called Cheapo?

yes, they sell very cheap used cds. the new cds are very pricey though. usually round 17.99 - 19.99 for new cds. used cds are anywhere from like .95-3.95.

Lana
yes, they sell very cheap used cds. the new cds are very pricey though. usually round 17.99 - 19.99 for new cds. used cds are anywhere from like .95-3.95.

I love used CD stores, it's amazing the kind of stuff you can find there and for so little.

Originally posted by jks
I've been into music since I was about 7. A friend of mine's older brother was way into ozzy, and since "the older kids" are "cool", we all listened to ozzy. HE went to the ozzy concert one night and the next day we all were asking him about how good was ozzy and he said ozzy was awesome, but the opening band blew him off the stage. The opening act was metallica. It just rolled from thereand got my first guitar when I was 10 and have been playing since 1988.

As far as dloading goes, there are reasons why i can see why people would do it. If you buy a cdand something happens to it like it being stolen. or for out of print material.

If you're worried about a CD getting stolen/lost, then rip the songs to your computer. I've put every CD I own on my computer because I'm very good at losing things, plus my friends and I always lend each other CDs and they don't always get back to the original owner. It's not like it's something very hard to back up.

jks
Originally posted by Lana

If you're worried about a CD getting stolen/lost, then rip the songs to your computer. I've put every CD I own on my computer because I'm very good at losing things, plus my friends and I always lend each other CDs and they don't always get back to the original owner. It's not like it's something very hard to back up. I make copies of every cd I buy and listen to them only. I put my originals away and only use them if I need to make another copy.

Cinemaddiction
what cheapo you go to?

Lake Street, the one in Columbia Heights blowssssss..especially DVD wise.

Originally posted by RedAlertv2
I will admit to downloading music but I agree that it is awesome to buy the actual album and have the lyrics, art, etc.

Well, I downloaded tracks off of "As The Palace Burns" from Lamb of God and decided to go buy it tomorrow, rendering the mp3's virtually useless.

BackFire
I've liked music for a long time, but it's never been the premier hobby for me.

Almost always, video games and movies have taken center stage as my favorite hobby/medium.

Lana
Art has always been center stage for me, I've spent ridiculous amounts of money on art supplies/programs.

I've always been really into music as well, though.

intoxicatedpoet
I get most of my music of the 'net, but I've been buying more and more CDs lately, I agree it is a pretty good feeling to leave the store with a few albums in your hands. I think I'm gonna stock up on albums until I have a pretty stable collection, then I guess I'll get rid of my internet music network.

StinkFist462
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Lake Street, the one in Columbia Heights blowssssss..especially DVD wise.
yes it sure does, but i go to the buffalo wild wings over there and just stop in for 20 minutes til my wings are done.

but i usually go to lake street.

Darth Revan
I love buying music, but I'm poor... I need to find a good used music place.

I download a few songs here and there, mostly to hear new bands and avoid wasting 15 bucks on a potentially crappy CD. Also for unreleased stuff, obviously. But I agree that there's nothing like owning the album itself.

Tptmanno1
yea, i download massive amounts of unreleased colaborations and stuff like that.
But I love buying a CD, and jsut coming home and listening to it over and over...

jaden101
cant beat buying cd's...in my town we have a little second hand store called grouchos...ive taken chances on loads of stuff i've never heard of from there just because its so cheap...still get loads of vinyl and cassettes as well

they've got their own little website...i suggest you get a laugh at the "dont ask" section

http://www.grouchos.co.uk/

Victor Von Doom
There's a second hand/exchange cd/video/dvd/record shop reasonably near to me, they usually sell their second hand cds for 1 English pound. Their collection is getting a bit shitty lately though.

Cinemaddiction
I find a lot of great stuff at pawn shops, and it's always a surprise. I mentioned before, I found the 1st White Zombie CD "Make/Let Them Die Slowly" on Caroline Records for $1.75. The other day, I got "S&M" for $3. When albums come THAT cheap, of course I'll buy a lot. That said, I don't necessarily mind paying $10+ for an album, I'm just spoiled on getting things cheap.

Lana
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
There's a second hand/exchange cd/video/dvd/record shop reasonably near to me, they usually sell their second hand cds for 1 English pound. Their collection is getting a bit shitty lately though.

Maybe you've cleaned them out of all the good stuff wink

I'll admit that I've listened to CDs so many times that they stopped working....heh. I still need to replace several from doing that.

Alpha Centauri

Lana
I don't even know what the cheapest I've gotten a CD for. Maybe because most of the people in my area listen to crap and therefore there's only crap at the used CD shop in the mall by my house.

I usually have to go to downtown Chicago to find a music store that sells stuff that I want/like.

StinkFist462
i got Nine Inch Nails - Down In It for .95. so cheap cause there only 3 songs. but look on ebay for it its prolly around 40-50.

tabby999
i got A - HiFi Serious for a dollar, my mate finds things for a dollar all the time. JB HIFI, i love you

SlipknoT
I got Cannibal Corpse Wretched Spawn/Worm Infested for $5 at this little place near me called Coconuts

tabby999
i've got a Cannible Corpse Live cd for sale if you want it, a skant $500 dollars...no wait, for you, $499 and 100 cents

SlipknoT
If you're talking about Live Cannibalism I already have it.

RedAlertv2
Far as I know, there are no secondhand cd stores near here, so I'm stuck gettin CDs for 10-15 bucks at Fred Meyer, which is fine for CDs that I know are good, but its too much for me to buy too many CDs. Hence the reason I download.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.