Sleeping without a pillow

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Disturbance
This thing, sleeping without a pillow, has made me wonder.

Is this very common? Do you know anyone with such a "habit"?

I started thinking about this as I met someone who was determined it's a better way to rest. Is there any scientifical proof this would somehow improve your sleep?

KidRock
Are you serious?

Disturbance
Well this is a general discussion forum. Happy Dance

amity75
Apparently it's like cutting out salt from your diet. You don't like it at first buut then you get used to it and can easily go without it. F*ck that though, I have 3 pillows and can't do without.

Alpha Centauri
I barely sleep anyway. I get sleep paralysis quite often.

-AC

Acherontia
lol, I don't sue a pillow, heck, I put on warmer cloths when i go to sleep, and sleep ONTOP of my covers... I also take cold showers. Maybe thats why i'm so Cynical.

For anybody who wants to try, the first night without a pillow is brutal, then it gets MUCH better after a week.

tabby999
yeah, i have 4 pillows, but i only use 2, the others are for when my girlfriend stays over. but i used to only have one pillow.

SlipknoT
On the rare occasion that i can sleep I sleep with 4 pillows

RedAlertv2
I sleep with one pillow and it always falls off my bed in the middle of the night, cuz I dont really rest my head on it that much. So I could probably go without a pillow.

Sir Mist
I had 2 fat pillows, but now ive got 1 small ass pillow, and it suckssad I get neck problems and cant sleep with no/one pillows.

Originally posted by Disturbance
Is there any scientifical proof this would somehow improve your sleep?

Whatever makes you comfortable would improve sleep I guessconfused

DeVi| D0do
I sleep with just one pillow...

I usually sleep on my side, so having no pillow would just not work for me.

grey fox
i sleep on my side as well but ussualy lie on my stomach one arm under the pillow

botankus
I used to sleep backwards - with my head at the foot of the bed. I still used pillows, though.

Imperial_Samura
Hmmm. I can sleep without pillows, but for optimal sleep enjoyment I like having two. One for my head, the other to put over my head. Don't know why, but I sleep better with my head sandwiched between the two. People find it odd, but eh (and no, I'm not scared of smothering to death)

Disturbance
Subconscious hiding from troubles in your life?

What do you think, does sleeping without a pillow increase the blood flow to the head, thus affecting the sleep?
I could imagine this affecting dreams and making more things going on in them...?
Just a wild quess though. It's fun to speculate on a subject I've got no idea of!

Fire
2 pillows goes best for me

hotsauce6548
I sleep without pillows a lot, but then again, I also sleep with pillows a lot.

Just depends on what makes me comfortable that night.

PVS
common sense dictates that our bodies were designed to sleep without pillows.
we are meant to either sleep on our backs or on our sides using an arm as a headrest.

however, i dont see how reverting to a primal way of sleep would be any more healthy. but that could depend on the individual.
if anything, i think the choice of pillows would be more of a factor, since your head and neck should be positioned comfortably. personally, if i sleep on my side with a pillow thats too thick, i'll wake up with a stiff neck because of the awkward position.

if you wake up feeling uncomfortable, chances are you're sleep was less deep than it should be. so if you're really concerned then experiment.

KharmaDog
I prefer to sleep with women. But we are all entitled to our own choices.

PVS
Originally posted by KharmaDog
I prefer to sleep with women. But we are all entitled to our own choices.

i was waiting for that one roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS
i was waiting for that one roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

Far be it from me to disappoint.

a1hsauce
i have like 6 pillows embarrasment two regular sized sleeping pillows then smaller ones that i put around my body... shifty makes me think im sleepin with a women whistle

JLred
Originally posted by amity75
Apparently it's like cutting out salt from your diet. You don't like it at first buut then you get used to it and can easily go without it. F*ck that though, I have 3 pillows and can't do without.

I have 8 pillows!!!

Hughnut2000
2 pillows

Disturbance
Sure, women can be nice occasional pillows. laughing
Or Logans... wink

hotsauce6548
I have four pillows on my bed at night, two regular pillows, a mushy gushy pillow (droolio), and a big, green, headrest-propper-upper pillow.

Hughnut2000
Originally posted by Disturbance
Sure, women can be nice occasional pillows. laughing
Or Logans... wink
laughing out loud

piccola_nuvola
I have just two pillows, and I rarely use them....I feel more comfortable without pillows....
Well, normally when I go to bed I'm so tired that I can't even see where I put my head...so I don't think it matters a lot...

debbiejo
I had to search for the perfect pillow, and now I have to take it with me everywhere....I love my soft pillow...one of those soft sinking kind...

Too many pillows gives me a neck ache.

Johnrenata
I just tried sleeping without a pillow last night, was the best sleep I have had, first time not getting a sore back in this bed.

I just started running with barefoot style running shoes to progress to barefoot running.

The idea came about at stanford uni I think when Nike discovered that the running team opted for barefoot over shoes, running on the golf course for training.

Since then reports show that there has been a huge rise in running injury since the invention of the modern running shoe as it allows the foot to become weak and not move and distribute its weight as it would when running barefoot.

so it was this reasoning that I thought, what if its the same with sleeping? by supporting your neck, are you weakening it or lessening its flexibility and therefore actually more prone to injury?

What if it was that your pillow was actually damaging your back/neck?

If we are worried about neck support while sleeping, try reasoning this, if you tried wearing a neck brace/support all day for a few weeks, would your neck be better or worse for it when it came time to taking it off?

Unless you have a medical condition, I can't see how it would not be worth at least trying pillow free and letting your body condition itself.

Maybe our bodies are better equipped then we realize, just look at the cheater, the fastest running animal on earth, does it need to warm up before running or is it properly conditioned? my point being conditioning.

Who knows, after trying pillow free for a while you may discover your not suffering as many back/neck issues then now with your fancy expensive crutches, I mean pillows.

ArtificialGlory
Enough with the pillow talk!

Jim Colyer
I've been trying to find a comfortable pillow for 10 years.

Disturbance
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Enough with the pillow talk!

Lolled!

Astner
Originally posted by Jim Colyer
I've been trying to find a comfortable pillow for 10 years.
Try this one.

rudester
I stopped using a pillow e-ons ago and I still have a bad back..

Yurika
It's habit, i sleep better with pillow.

siriuswriter
One pillow, and I have to take it everywhere. It sinks just the right amount, and bouys my head perfectly. And if I decide to sleep on my make, my pillow makes it work too. I've forgotten where I found this pillow - but damn it, if it turns out I stole it from a hotel or something, I'm NOT GIVING IT BACK.

Symmetric Chaos
Pillows are the devils ass. A rolled up blanket is far superior.

Major_Lexington
With or without a pillow, few glasses of whiskey and I'm out like a light.

maham
I have two pillows, but usually just put the less soft one on one side longitudinally and keep the softer one under my head big grin teehee

Digi
Originally posted by Johnrenata
I just tried sleeping without a pillow last night, was the best sleep I have had, first time not getting a sore back in this bed.

I just started running with barefoot style running shoes to progress to barefoot running.

The idea came about at stanford uni I think when Nike discovered that the running team opted for barefoot over shoes, running on the golf course for training.

Since then reports show that there has been a huge rise in running injury since the invention of the modern running shoe as it allows the foot to become weak and not move and distribute its weight as it would when running barefoot.

so it was this reasoning that I thought, what if its the same with sleeping? by supporting your neck, are you weakening it or lessening its flexibility and therefore actually more prone to injury?

What if it was that your pillow was actually damaging your back/neck?

If we are worried about neck support while sleeping, try reasoning this, if you tried wearing a neck brace/support all day for a few weeks, would your neck be better or worse for it when it came time to taking it off?

Unless you have a medical condition, I can't see how it would not be worth at least trying pillow free and letting your body condition itself.

Maybe our bodies are better equipped then we realize, just look at the cheater, the fastest running animal on earth, does it need to warm up before running or is it properly conditioned? my point being conditioning.

Who knows, after trying pillow free for a while you may discover your not suffering as many back/neck issues then now with your fancy expensive crutches, I mean pillows.

At least the part about shoes is pure bunk. Such philosophies on barefoot running are usually propagated by those selling alternatives, and the idea that we shouldn't wear shoes has been eviscerated by a number of scientific sources.

coloradobase
If you sleep without pillow then its not best for your neck. Sometime you can feel pain in neck.

Blair Wind
I don't sleep with a pillow, but my mattress is made of memory foam bed and I don't need one with that type of bed (I also exclusively sleep on my back). If I end up on another bed, I usually use the thinnest pillow possible - just enough to keep my neck level with the rest of my body and not arched above it like with most pillows. It helps me sleep better.

If anyone wanted to try it (sleeping on your back with thin/no pillow), I'd just suggest working your way down. Use a slightly smaller pillow than you currently use and go down all the way to either a thin/flat pillow or (if you have memory foam) no pillow at all.

Sleeping on your side is different - you'd need a thicker pillow to keep your head/neck aligned.

-Pr-
I honestly can't sleep without a pillow very comfortably. I've tried it before, but it's just not comfortable enough.

-kV-
I was buzzed last night, super tired, and had just eaten a humongous meal, and I fell down on my friend's carpet and slept just fine without a pillow. smile

Erdelyi
Sleeping without pillow is very tough for me.

JorgKirsch
Yes I never use Pillow. Without pillow sleeping is best for your neck and back pain.

naplex

KulcsarArmand
Its very difficult for me to sleep without pillow.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.