CD Players vs Ipod

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ok well everyone knows about the ipod and other mp3 players and such and they're great little inventions and you can pack ever track you own onto one of these small user friendly devices. IT's great right? Well i'm here to say no, it's not so great. I think the experience of learning about and artist, going to a cd store and browsing and picking up cd's that you came there to buy and some you didn't is great! The more i think about it the more i relize how much i truelly love CD's, the whole experience is great. You get excited and frustrated opening the obnoxious plastic covering, holding the cd with care and putting it to player in your discman. It's all a great experience if you think about it.
CD players are superior to ipods because you're forced to listen to ever track on a cd, you can't decide "oh i wanna listen to this other artist for a bit and then come back." You get 1 artist telling their story in 1 consecutive manner. When a cd is new you absorb every word, every note. You think "hey i know what this artist is getting at." You take the time to enjoy their music because you're forced to. And isn't that what music is about? Isn't that what true musical artist really want from their fans? To let every word and note seep into their system, for their fans to truelly get something out of the experience of listening to their albums.

You just can't get that from an Ipod, and so even though i'll be getting a PSP soon (which can play mp3s) i'll still carry around my good ole bulky & big cd player because i don't want to cheat myself out of a great experience.

So what do you all think?

p.s. i know it's long

Lana
Um, why did you start another thread about this?

And that's a load of crap if I've ever heard it, you can skip around on CDs as well. And you can listen to an album straight through on an iPod or MP3 player. Some people simply LIKE listening to music in a random order, which is why people make mix CDs. Having an iPod doesn't force you to not listen to an album straight through, just as only listening to CDs mean that you will. You can get the same musical experience from an iPod that you can a CD player and you don't have to worry about CDs having to get lost or destroyed, and you can carry a LOT more music with you. Simple as.

MetallicaT
Originally posted by 113
CD players are superior to ipods because you're forced to listen to ever track on a cd, you can't decide "oh i wanna listen to this other artist for a bit and then come back."
yeah you gotta hate convenience........ no expression

grey fox
yeah right and then you drop the damn thing and it chips/cracks/scratches/breaks I'm real excited. Yeah super excited about the fact that i have to shell out another twenty notes to get it repaired .

SlipknoT
And how often does that happen?

Myth
I like CDs in the sense of buying my favorite artists and having the physical DVD of just that band (I'm kind of a collector, just like I wouldn't just want Movies on my computer, I have a beautiful DVD collection). However, just because I like CDs doesn't mean that dislike Ipods (or other Mp3 players) and would refuse to get/use one. I'd just still buy a lot of CDs and put them on my computer and transfer them to my iPod and leave my CDs in my room.

Alpha Centauri
I put the CDs I buy onto my iPod anyway.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
iPods are the coolest mother-funking thang on the mother-funking planet. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't have one.

grey fox
Floo speaks the truth, i own a cool set of headphones which have a mp3 player integrated now how kick-ass is that

Red Superfly
I like both. I even make MP3 CD's for my car stereo allowing me to put over 100 songs on a CD.

MP3 player is for computer/iPod, and I play CD's on the older stereo systems dotted around the house.

They are all the same to me.

Cinemaddiction
You can't take a Discman with you wherever you go. iPod, you can. It's hands free.

nick1811
i think in the next 4/5 years record companies are going to stop making CD's because MP3 players will be too popular

MildPossession
I thought Ipods were suppose to be a load of rubbish, apparently you can get better sound on creative mp3 players. anyone?

ElectricBugaloo
CDs have better sound quality, but unless you are using high end headphones it really doesn't matter

also, creavies are better and much, much cheaper.

Piggle Humsy
Firstly Why is everyone talking about ipods ... other Mp3 players do exist y'know.. like Creative Zen which is totally better than iPod yes

iPods suck! rock stick out tongue

Originally posted by 113
Ok well everyone knows about the ipod and other mp3 players and such and they're great little inventions and you can pack ever track you own onto one of these small user friendly devices. IT's great right? Well i'm here to say no, it's not so great. I think the experience of learning about and artist, going to a cd store and browsing and picking up cd's that you came there to buy and some you didn't is great! The more i think about it the more i relize how much i truelly love CD's, the whole experience is great. You get excited and frustrated opening the obnoxious plastic covering, holding the cd with care and putting it to player in your discman. It's all a great experience if you think about it.
CD players are superior to ipods because you're forced to listen to ever track on a cd, you can't decide "oh i wanna listen to this other artist for a bit and then come back." You get 1 artist telling their story in 1 consecutive manner. When a cd is new you absorb every word, every note. You think "hey i know what this artist is getting at." You take the time to enjoy their music because you're forced to. And isn't that what music is about? Isn't that what true musical artist really want from their fans? To let every word and note seep into their system, for their fans to truelly get something out of the experience of listening to their albums.

You just can't get that from an Ipod, and so even though i'll be getting a PSP soon (which can play mp3s) i'll still carry around my good ole bulky & big cd player because i don't want to cheat myself out of a great experience.

So what do you all think?

p.s. i know it's long

and why do I get the impression reading your post that if you buy an Mp3 player you'll never buy a CD ever again.. you can still buy Cd's load them on your computer and rip it onto your Mp3 Player.... you still get to open them all specially and put them into something... if that's what you worry about losing... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mp3 Players far rule over CD players as you don't have to carry around bulky cd's and because mp3 players come in the smallest of sizes they don't take up much room either...

Nuff Said stick out tongue

Flying High
i buy a cd...put it on my pc....then put it on my mp3 player confused....best of both worlds stick out tongue

RedAlertv2
cd players are cool but I would definitely rather have an ipod

ElectricBugaloo
i still use my walkman

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Piggle Humsy
Firstly Why is everyone talking about ipods ... other Mp3 players do exist y'know.. like Creative Zen which is totally better than iPod yes

iPods suck! rock stick out tongue

Creative Zens are awkward and cumbersome. No MP3 player is as functional as the iPod.

-AC

Lana
I can put my iPod in the front pocket of my jeans (where generally I can't fit anything but some cash), and it has games on it.

One of my friends had a Creative Zen, dropped it on accident, and that was the end of it...I've dropped my iPod several times and all that's happened is it's gotten scratched.

ElectricBugaloo
i had a creative zen til someone stole it and i dropped it many times and it never broke. and it fit in my pocket, i'm not sure how tight your pockets are, but it was fine in mine. plus the sound quality is better and the battery life is about twice as long.

i miss that thing.

also, it wasn't hard to work. ipod users like to act like you need two secret keys and turn at the same time to operate other mp3 players, but anyone with half a brain can operate them.

Lana
iPods are easy as hell to work, I can operate the thing with one hand (which is good as I use it at school a lot, and usually am lugging around a pile of books).

And I'm a girl. I wear snug-fitting jeans. Hence my comment of nothing usually being able to fit in my pockets but some money (my cell phone doesn't even fit).

SlipknoT
Originally posted by nick1811
i think in the next 4/5 years record companies are going to stop making CD's because MP3 players will be too popular Even though I have an IPod I hope that Dosent Happen, I like collecting CD's

I know you there's convenience in mp3 players, i think i even mentioned that in my original post and i also know you canbuy cd's tranfer them to computer and them tranfer them to your ipod or creative zen. or iriver, etc...but the whole point of my post was recognizing that yeah mp3 players are more convenient sure, but i think that convenience can take away from the experience of music. I don't have an ipod but i've used a bunch of my friends for days at a time (my friends are generous) and yeah it was a cool device to have but i found myself wanting to use my cd player again.
I also know you can make mp3 cds, and i do that too, but after making 3 mp3 cd's i was just like "you know having only 12-20 tracks on a cd is better because i think you repeat songs more and in my opinion that's a good thing.
I just brought this topic up because one of my friends and i were having a conversation about this and he agreed that cd players were better (and he HAS an ipod) but he prefers to use his 1998 bulky bright yellow sony cd player because of the reasons i mentioned above.
It might just be that the people that i know with ipods just use it for a quick dose of music and a lot of the ones i've seen just having random songs by artist, or the most popular songs by artists and then that's it. And in my experience i don't see a lot of people with ipods going into music stores anymore buying cd's....i guess their logic is why go buy cds when you can buy em on itunes....

ok that's my 2 cents

Alpha Centauri
How does it take away from experiencing music? It's CD quality.

-AC

Flying High
well....im getting a creative zen...i hope its ok confused...i tend to drop things you see stick out tongue

Lana
I've never bought a single song on iTunes, from what I've heard the selection sucks anyway.

And how would you know that lots of people with iPods don't go into CD stores and buy CDs? Do you follow them everywhere?

I myself don't see the appeal in listening to the same thing repeatedly because that's a real good way to get sick of something. And if you want to listen to something again on your iPod, you know what you do? You go back and start that album over!

It doesn't take away the experience at all. If anything, it makes it better, because it has a much larger variety for you to chose from. If you're listening to something and don't feel like listening to that anymore, you can change to a new album a lot easier than with a CD player.

MildPossession
Don't you have to convert the songs you download to put onto the ipod, but with other mp3 players you can just put them straight on?

I'm thinking of getting a mp3 player.

You guys aren't listening to what i'm saying....i'm saying that it's not about convenience or how easy it is to use an ipod. I'm saying that with a cd i think people are more prone to really pay attention to the artists lyrics and music. And i didn't say i know that all ipod users don't go to cd stores, i said of the people i've seen and/or know they don't go to cd stores anymore.

ElectricBugaloo
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
How does it take away from experiencing music? It's CD quality.

-AC
actually it's not. it loses on the high and low end of the recordings. something has to give when you compress a file.

Alpha Centauri
Well if we're getting down to actual bare technicalities, is it demeaned enough to make the listen any less enjoyable?

No.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
there is a noticeable difference, just like between vinyl and cds or cds and cassette.

jaden101
Well if we're getting down to actual bare technicalities, is it demeaned enough to make the listen any less enjoyable?

No.

-AC

alot to do with the headphones as well...i just bought a pretty expensive set for my hd3...the difference on high and low end are phenomenal

same with top spec hi-fi equiptment...i'm currently making do with a shit kenwood system after my old tag mclaren stuff got destroyed in a house fire...the difference again is shocking compared to a cheap system

and i think it does affect how much i enjoy certain types of music...

ElectricBugaloo
yeah, i have a pretty good system hooked up to my computer, and i can tell the difference from when i listen to a CD vs mp3 vs vinyl. if you have a bad system, it's fine.

Lana
Originally posted by MildPossession
Don't you have to convert the songs you download to put onto the ipod, but with other mp3 players you can just put them straight on?

You rip it to your computer as an MP3 and put it in iTunes, and then transfer it to your iPod. Works pretty well as then you've got it saved to your computer so you can listen to it there as well.

Originally posted by 113
You guys aren't listening to what i'm saying....i'm saying that it's not about convenience or how easy it is to use an ipod. I'm saying that with a cd i think people are more prone to really pay attention to the artists lyrics and music. And i didn't say i know that all ipod users don't go to cd stores, i said of the people i've seen and/or know they don't go to cd stores anymore.

And we're saying you're wrong, it doesn't make a difference if someone's listening to it on their computer, on a CD player, on an iPod, or on the radio. I'd say that since I've gotten my iPod I've been able to pay attention to the music and lyrics MORE than when I had a CD player because I don't have to worry about such things as skips, scratched CDs, etc.

jaden101
in that context then i probably do "listen" to the cd format more as its usually the first time i'll listen to a certain track or album

i'll put on a random track list while on the pc posting here...but its just background music but then i can listen to the same set of tunes and just be focusing on them and get all the emotions and memories that come with certain songs that i dont get with them when im not focusing on them

the best time for really concentrating and enjoying my music is on my way home from work on a wednesday night when i finish late and the streets are deserted...singing along sometimes out loud (sad innit?)

its about a 40 minute walk...always look forward to that time

or when i've just bought some new stuff...sticking it on the hi-fi and laying on my bed...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by MildPossession

If you download from LimeWire, you don't have to do anything. Click the song you want, let it down load, then when it's finished it automatically pops up in iTunes. It even creates its own folder. Nothing could be simpler.

As for functionality, nothing is better than an iPod. That little 'click-wheel' is mofo genius. Plus, iPods look beautiful and are just plain cooooooooooooooooooooool.

SlipknoT
The only thing I dont like about the IPod is the Headphones, I've blown out about 4 pairs.

Tptmanno1
Oh I use my own headphones for my Ipod...
But Havind a CD player or Ipod doesn't change the amount of attention you have in a song.
its like saying you can taste the difference in eating a steak on a steak-sized plate, or a larger one that holds multiple sized ones. its gonna taste the same...

Lana
I prefer my iPod headphones to my regular ones, better sound quality....

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by SlipknoT
The only thing I dont like about the IPod is the Headphones, I've blown out about 4 pairs.

Snap! I don't know if it's because I wear them when I'm on my bike, but I'm nearly on my third pair too! I've been able to get free replacements thus far...

tabby999
i'm getting a brand spankeling new laptop soon (for absolutely nothing!) and am super mega amazingly excited about buying myself a iPod. cant wait. did i mention i'm super mega excited?

tabby999
oh, and do you guys know if my headphones (big tdk ones i bought) will drain my ipods battery? i've heard it might so i thought i should ask

Piggle Humsy
Creative Zens are awkward and cumbersome. No MP3 player is as functional as the iPod.

-AC

the creative zen 'micro' is smaller and has more features than the ipod mini, more battery life, also has more space and all for less money.
and has beaten it in many awards and reviews.

that was what I was comparing.

If its good enough for Bill Gates it's good enough for me!

Alpha Centauri
the creative zen 'micro' is smaller and has more features than the ipod mini, more battery life, also has more space and all for less money.
and has beaten it in many awards and reviews.

that was what I was comparing.

Well to be fair, size isn't an issue. I hardly know I have my iPod with me so having a smaller device with more features that I'll never use doesn't make it better.

As for battery life, mine lasts as long as I need it to and I put in on charge every night anyway. So it doesn't really pose a problem for me.

iPods are more expensive but they're going to be for the simple fact that they've got a patented click wheel and it's microsoft. It does it's job.

Awards mean nothing really.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
creative zens are just better in nearly all ways. the only thing that ipods do better is look better.

Alpha Centauri
Creative Zens don't play back the music in some ultra exclusive format that the iPod doesn't have.

I've heard music on the best quality from both and the iPod was exactly the same if not slightly better. Zens sounded less human.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
actually teh sound quality is better on zens, they have a better sound range than ipods. another thing ipod is better at is marketing. you can defend ipods all you want, but the facts are against you.

Lana
Well to be fair, size isn't an issue. I hardly know I have my iPod with me so having a smaller device with more features that I'll never use doesn't make it better.

As for battery life, mine lasts as long as I need it to and I put in on charge every night anyway. So it doesn't really pose a problem for me.

iPods are more expensive but they're going to be for the simple fact that they've got a patented click wheel and it's microsoft. It does it's job.

Awards mean nothing really.

-AC

Whenever I'm not using my iPod it's charging. That damn thing was my lifesaver when I was on vacation; it would last up to 12 hours without having to be charged.

I like my iPod and I have no intention of replacing it, unless it broke, in which case I'd prolly get another iPod. I simply like them a lot.

Lana
Originally posted by ElectricBugaloo
actually teh sound quality is better on zens, they have a better sound range than ipods. another thing ipod is better at is marketing. you can defend ipods all you want, but the facts are against you.

On a friend's Zen I listened to some of the same songs as I have on my iPod and they sounded exactly the same.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by ElectricBugaloo

Like I said before, the sound quality - factually better or not (remember you can alter the quality on an iPod) - isn't better by a large enough level to say that one of the players is worth buying more so than the others. I prefer my iPod because I'm used to it and I got it before all these new ones started coming out.

Most people compare Zen to iPod standard level. iPod on highest quality is one of the highest qualities of audio playback. So the Zen being that smidgen more clearer or whatever doesn't make any difference because I've listened to both and it's not even detectable.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
then if htey are so close in level, then it is even more reason to buy the creative - it's about $100 cheaper.

Alpha Centauri
I get mine discount, hence why I buy them.

-AC

Lana
Mine was a gift and I sure as hell wasn't going to turn it down as I had wanted one for a while anyway.

ElectricBugaloo
so that comment uis more for people who are deciding which to buy: buy a creative. as AC said, they are just about the same in quality as an ipod. I think they're better, but whatever.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Lana

And I'm a girl. I wear snug-fitting jeans.

Wait, why are we still talking about Ipods?

Piggle Humsy
It's pointless trying to argue anything with AC as he always has to be right roll eyes (sarcastic)
so I'd just give up in knowing your right... and let him believe he is.

JKozzy
Originally posted by Lana
One of my friends had a Creative Zen, dropped it on accident, and that was the end of it...I've dropped my iPod several times and all that's happened is it's gotten scratched. I dropped my Creative Zen Xtra and it's fine erm

Alpha Centauri
It's pointless trying to argue anything with AC as he always has to be right roll eyes (sarcastic)
so I'd just give up in knowing your right... and let him believe he is.

Why does everyone on this forum uphold the delusion that I feel I have to be right? I don't, YOU clearly think that.

If you can prove wrong what I've said, go for it. If not, stop making it out as though you could but you choose not to.

-AC

Lana
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Wait, why are we still talking about Ipods?

Hah hah, smartass.

stick out tongue

tabby999
so, as i asked before, would my headphones drain the battery of the ipod?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.