Eraserhead

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deano
i know its not a true horror but i think it deserves its place here.

This film is a complete mind****. ive never seen a movie like this before, i was deeply disturbed by some of the imagery that david lynch shows in this flick.
has anyone ever said to you that a movie is very wierd and disturbing and you watch it but it doesnt seem to be as wierd or as strange as you imagined. Well rest assured 'eraserhead' is a movie that will not dissapoint. I was depressed for half an hour after this film.
check it out his masterpiece!, David lynch is a genius

someone said on imdb:
First, it is not a movie. It is not a film.
It is a piece of art.
So don't even think of it as a movie. Don't recommend it as a movie. It doesn't work

i can understand that in many ways

http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~bgtracks/hakoniwa/eraserhead.jpg

papabeard
I agree, i love the weirdness of this film, definetly has a marked effect on the viewer, its difficult to watch and leaves you feeling drained, which I believe was David Lynch's intention.

Love the scene in which the alien woman sings, beautiful, ripped off in the Fifth Element, also the dancing chickens and the demon baby, and the family, sh1t, i love it all.

MildPossession
Definitely a depressing psychological horror in my mind, absolutely horrifying atmospheric film. One of my favourites, the sound is just as creepy too.

Deano
im going to watch it again tonight, for what reason i do not know...

Deano
this is the only lynch film i have seen, is there any other of his films wierd like this?

MildPossession
All of them are weird in one way or another, except maybe The Straight Story, which is worth the look.

Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Elephant Man, Wild At Heart, Blue Velvet are all worth watching.

Eraserhead is one of his most weird films though to me.

papabeard
I agree , all of his films are weird and often quite frightening, particularly, Wild At Heart and Blue Velvet, they are not horror but are very dark and disturbing, Dennis Hopper and Willem Defoe play psychotic characters.

Lost Highway made absolutely no sense to me, can anyone explain it?

The Elephant Man and the Straight Story are his most mainstream and straighforward films, both are very moving, however I think The Elephant Man is one of his best films.

Deano
cool i'll be sure to check those out

Nevermind
I saw like 20-30 minutes of this film and thought is was far too disturbing to finish. It's one of the only effective horror films I have seen, but would never watch it again. Far too sick for my liking.

Deano
its a bit disturbing but not too much..its mostly just plain wierd

MildPossession
Sick? I don't see anything sick in it...

Deano
i suppose when he stabs the babys insides

Nevermind
Originally posted by MildPossession
Sick? I don't see anything sick in it...

No the fact that there's cooked baby chickens menstruating isn't sick at all. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Deano
and when that horrible lookin women is stomping on those..things..whateva they are

MildPossession
It didn't disturb me, the sounds of the industrial town did though.

Deano
thats why the baby was probably deformed

papabeard
I think it was inspird by David Lynch's own fears about having a child.

Victor Von Doom
I don't think it's that 'weird', most of it is straightforward, The only oddly placed scene is that scene that actually inspires the title.

Pretty interesting film though.

Deano
i think its all wierd

the turkeys
the baby
that strange woman singing
that guys hair
the fact that it took 7 years to make

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Deano
i think its all wierd

the turkeys
the baby
that strange woman singing
that guys hair
the fact that it took 7 years to make

What I mean when I say it's not that 'weird' is that these events are easily interpreted- they aren't inscrutably surreal or anything.

I guess compared to most movies it's a weird film.

Deano
yeh the movie is easy to follow i suppose. but i still find it wierd. i aint saw a movie thats wierder

Refused
I just saw this "movie" yesterday and i was ****in creeped the **** out. The creepiest thing at least to me was the chipmunk girl, just the way she tried to look cute and then stomping on those worm things combined with the music was just horrific to me. Some of the parts were so bizarre that i actually chuckled. It's now one of my all time fave films. Love it.

Deano
http://www.sensesofcinema.com/images/19/eraserhead.jpg

very freaky

WrathfulDwarf
Finally! I've seen Eraserhead in it's entirely. I must say that this is indeed a pretty strange oddworld. I love the combination of industrialism and suspence of the film. Characters may seem strange but somehow I felt a connection. Having a family...taking care of the firstborn...work...and cheating. Lynch is indeed a master of strange bizzare films that aren't lame or boring. A full review coming soon. Brought to you by WD. big grin

GiZMo90
Yeah I agree with that person on IMDB. It seemed more of a piece of art then a movie.

Graveyard Shift
One of the most disturbing parts of the movie to me, most people don't mention, is the scene where the woman from across the hall comes into his room, and the camera zooms in on her face. There's something in her face that's absolutely frightining. It's eerie. To me, she looks like a man, the way her jaw is shaped.

Wow, this movie is like one of those unmovable nightmares. There's no way to shake it off and write off the effect that it caused me. To me, it's definetly horror. It may not be the prototypical horror movie of zombies and monsters, but it has troubled me more than any other horror movie that I've ever seen.

BackFire
I just saw this film about a week ago and was very impressed. Never boring, even though nearly the whole movie technically takes place in a single room. Great character development, you feel for him and his situation, even though there is barely any dialogue.

For me, the scene that stands out the most is definitely the scene where he unwraps the baby, and kills it. That scene gave me chills and made me a little queesy.

Really a good movie, worth all the hype and praise it gets.

Zilverz
you guys have me psyched to see this !!!

amity75
What freaks me out is the fact that Lynch has always refused to reveal how he got the effects for the "baby"

Graveyard Shift
Originally posted by amity75
What freaks me out is the fact that Lynch has always refused to reveal how he got the effects for the "baby"

I read somewhere where they said that it was made of an embalmed cow fetus or something that has to do with cows.

BackFire
My dad thinks it was a baby lamb's head.

Graveyard Shift
Well, I'm going to try and watch this movie again. I'm going to watch it with a friend. HAHA. I'll be like, "Hey, just a normal movie. Nothing wrong with it." I'll make sure we watch it in the dark.

ladygrim
this is one film i havent seen but WANT to but i cant seem to find it sad

Micheal_Myers
I really want to view this film, but have yet to get my hands on it..

JediSamuraiMRB
Eraserhead is a damn good movie.

Micheal_Myers
Just got done watching it....it was a bit creepy but mostly wierd...great film..

WrathfulDwarf
I saw again yesterday with a group of friends. We all had different interpretations of the film. One of the theories was that the killing of the baby was a critique on abortion...which it would be seen as plausible. My personal intrepretation of that scene is that it illustrates euthanasia and the effects on a person who commits it.

I think that there is also the supernatural effect...as if the baby would forever haunt Henry for taking such action.

There were others but mostly were just jokes or gags. Anywhoo...the film remains open to interpretation....so knock yourself out...a very deep film indeed.

BackFire
That's what's so great about the film, so many different ways to see and and think about it, and they're all valid.

deathbycorn
That's what I like about Sevendust's music. So many different ways to think about it.

MildPossession
That's what most of Lynch's films are like, open to what you get out of it. He likes it that way.

Blinky
Yeah, great movie.

I read part of this book once by Lynch called "Catching the big fish" were he talk about Eraserhead and how there is no "getting it" and has no real meaning or message. I really can't think of any other movies like this one.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Blinky
Yeah, great movie.

I read part of this book once by Lynch called "Catching the big fish" were he talk about Eraserhead and how there is no "getting it" and has no real meaning or message. I really can't think of any other movies like this one.

The only problem I have with that philosophy is that there is no storytelling. It's just simply visuals thrown in random order. There still gotta be some order to follow.

In order to tell a story there has to be plot....just saying "there is no message" isn't really a story...it's just leaving things to chance. Case in point...a film that has been compare to Eraserhead in style and tone is Elias Merhige's Begotten.

Check out the five minutes of the film. (it runs for 60 or 75 depending on the edition you own)

_amNctaTFlw&feature=related

It's a very hard to find on DVD (only bootlegs are available) but is one of those films that uses visuals and story in a aesthetic manner.

Impediment
I just saw this movie this weekend after a weekend movie watching marathon.

Holy effing Shit! This movie is weird and awesome!

SnakeEyes
I couldn't sit through this movie. Lynch is hit or miss with me. This was a miss. Inland Empire was a miss. Blue Velvet was a hit.

BackFire
Yeah I have a friend who couldn't stand this movie. Absolutely hated it.

I, however, love it.

MildPossession
Even though the video is removed, totally recommend you find that Begotten, very very creepy and disturbing. Totally different films though.

Myth
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I couldn't sit through this movie. Lynch is hit or miss with me. This was a miss. Inland Empire was a miss. Blue Velvet was a hit.

Same here. This was one of the few movies (of the ones I at least intended to see) in my life that I stopped watching before finishing it.

K.Diddy
erm I finally seen this movie last night,and honestly it achieved nothing but boring the absolute shit out of me,I didn't find it creepy at all,weird definitely,but not creepy.I rate it 3/10 The only reason I'm not rating it even lower then that,is because there are 2 or 3 scenes that I will never forget,and I've seen a lot more movies then the average man on the street so in that angle I respect them scenes that are powerful enough to stay in my mind,The whole movie I dont think I will ever forget,but also never want to sit through again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.