A thanks and a question about Tool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AcrypT
Ok first of all, a huge thanks to all you people who regularly chat here on the music forums!
For a bunch of months, I used to be on here quite a lot and I must say, I learned a lot from all you guys (and gals), so much as a matter a fact that I now work in a disc store, selling music! The boss was impressed with my knowladge of "Metal" (to him that's anything heavyer than just plain rock), well anyway, I have you all to thank for that because I didn't know shit about shit before I came here.
So thanks for helping me get the best job I can currently imagine myself working in!

As for my question....
and I know there's not really an answer..
Call it wishfull thinking if you must..
Give me a band that you think is most similar to Tool (That isn't APC), a friend of mine asked me for a similar band to Tool and I told him that there is no such thing but curiosity got the best of me and here I am..
So anyone know a band similar to Tool?

Alpha Centauri
APC aren't similar to Tool in any kind of way, first off.

Second, to be genuinely honest, there are no bands similar to Tool. Anyone claiming there is one would be grouping for the sake of.

-AC

RagnaViper
Originally posted by AcrypT
Ok first of all, a huge thanks to all you people who regularly chat here on the music forums!
For a bunch of months, I used to be on here quite a lot and I must say, I learned a lot from all you guys (and gals), so much as a matter a fact that I now work in a disc store, selling music! The boss was impressed with my knowladge of "Metal" (to him that's anything heavyer than just plain rock), well anyway, I have you all to thank for that because I didn't know shit about shit before I came here.
So thanks for helping me get the best job I can currently imagine myself working in!

As for my question....
and I know there's not really an answer..
Call it wishfull thinking if you must..
Give me a band that you think is most similar to Tool (That isn't APC), a friend of mine asked me for a similar band to Tool and I told him that there is no such thing but curiosity got the best of me and here I am..
So anyone know a band similar to Tool?

There are a couple of bands that try to imitate Tool's style but your not going to find any bands that are similar to Tool strictly because they normally aren't very talented.

Now, the best I can do is try to narrow it down for you. If you like Tool's guitar work, check out Rage against the Machine. A lot of the guitar work is similar. The bass is really different though.
If you like the vocal style, you'll be stuck for the most part. Otherwise, check out Chevelle and the Deftones. Both of their vocalists do that droning vocals thing that Maynard does. And obviously, you have APC because Maynard's with them too.
For similar drumming, look at Danny's side projects. Personally, I prefer Volto.

Check out Green Jelly though. Just because they are completely awesome.

Lana
I can't say that I can think of a band that's like Tool, honestly......

Alpha Centauri
The best advice is to just not look for a band like Tool because all the bands mentioned thus far are nothing like them.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
King Crimson were the biggest influence on Tool's style.

There are similar threads running through the Deftones, Opeth, Meshuggah, and various others.

None of them sound like Tool as such though.

AcrypT
King Crimson, that's interesting, I wouldn't have thought about it but now that you mention it, it does sound about right.

Well my suspision has been varified, no bands like Tool exist.

I find it funny how people say that APC are nothing like Tool, give it a rest people, it's not a sin to compare the 2 and to admit that they do have many similarities. There's no denying that the 2 bands sound fairly alike, I think of APC as 'Tool Light', well whatever.

RATM, chevelle, deftones....not what I'd exactly call similar bands but thanks anyway.
Green Jelly Rock!
lol
They're in no way whatsoever similar to Tool but the 3 little pigs....what a song :P

Deathblow
Originally posted by RagnaViper
If you like the vocal style, you'll be stuck for the most part. Otherwise, check out Chevelle and the Deftones. Both of their vocalists do that droning vocals thing that Maynard does.

The singer from Earshot sounds almost exactly like Maynard at times, I'd go with them if you like vocal style. Good band too, nothing like Tool, but good.

Df02
These arms are snakes use a very similar guitar sound/style alot of the time

not really alike though

Victor Von Doom
Dredg have a similar scope I often think, on a smaller scale, if that's not a slight paradox.

I genuinely do not think APC and Tool share anything except a vocalist. Josh aspires towards the complex, epic drumming but it's not quite the same league.

APC are to me, the higher end of standard rock bands, with a further boost given by the fact that Maynard is there. Tool aspire towards, and achieve, something comepletely different.

I think it's like comparing, for example, Tomahawk and Fantomas. There are obviously similarities because it's the same singer- it would be impossible to avoid.

In that case, though, there are less similarities because Maynard is essentially more limited than Patton (which is no insult because everyone is).

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by AcrypT
I find it funny how people say that APC are nothing like Tool, give it a rest people, it's not a sin to compare the 2 and to admit that they do have many similarities. There's no denying that the 2 bands sound fairly alike, I think of APC as 'Tool Light', well whatever.

There is denying, because they sound absolutely nothing alike. The only....ONLY similarity is that they have the same vocalist and if you wanna be technical, a drummer who plays in a remotely similar style as Victor said.

People compare the two because Maynard is in it, it's not even Maynard's band, it's Billy's. So not only is the vision different, it's totally different music.

-AC

RagnaViper
Originally posted by Deathblow
The singer from Earshot sounds almost exactly like Maynard at times, I'd go with them if you like vocal style. Good band too, nothing like Tool, but good.

Good call, but I was going for something more accessible. Then again, this is the internet. *shrug*

But anyway, to the Acrypt, yes. Green Jelly f**king rocks. Not much like Tool, but still immensely awesome.

ElectricBugaloo
Vast always reminded me of Tool without the pseudo science and pretentiousness

Alpha Centauri
All you managed to prove is that you're oblivious to the band because mostly it's not even science, it's spiritual subject matter. Two, the fact that you think they're pretentious suggests that you don't even understand what they're going on about. Because pretentiousness is when you highlight something as more important or with greater importance than it really is. Tool don't do this.

Besides, don't you like Pink Floyd? Most pretentious band of all time possibly.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
i never said those were bad things if you think that it is, then more power to you. i was just saying that was what it was like to me

Alpha Centauri
Fair enough.

I do think being pretentious without being able to back it up is bad, yes.

-AC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.