When something makes sense ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Atlantis001
Everything is judged to be true or not, depending of it makes sense or not. But when something makes sense ? Theres a rule to it ? What leads me to think about this question is when we think about reality. For example, it "makes sense" to say that my computer exist, so I say that it exist, and probably everyone will agree with that, but why does that makes sense ?

Bardock42
Funny....had a conversation with my dad aboot two days ago abioot that.....I think something "makes sense" when it is the right thing to do at the moent (that's when actions make sense) or when a statement is the truth (when you talk aboot reality) .... although of course we can't really 100% ever know if something "makes sense"

debbiejo
Atlantis got brave and started a thread....whooooo

Does it make sense that you say your computer exists...you have to define exist, I think....maybe not, but what about other unexplainable things...lets say entities...do they exist or not...what are the rules for that...some say they do and swear they've seen them...others say no way...prove it to me.....Is it things making sense, or do you have to back it up with facts...Some things we just don't have all the facts yet...maybe haven't discovered a way to measure certain things for us to have certain proof.

Atlantis001
I was thinking that maybe "to make sense" is a individual thing, like Bardock said "when our actions make sense", so maybe something make sense when its makes us feel safer. Its safer to believe that the world exist, that my computer is real, that my bedroom is real, etc. It is like to say that "sense" which is directly associated with truth, and falsity in the objective reality, is also associated with some kind of individual need for certainty, which is subjective, and personal.

When we talk about reality it always make us not so sure if something makes "sense"(or if something is true), cause after all reality is external to us, but if "sense" itself is like a individual need for certainty, and if "sense" is related to the truthhood of things, then truthhood could depend on the individual, right. Like if we say that this reality is real, just because a individual need for certainty.

Originally posted by debbiejo
Atlantis got brave and started a thread....whooooo

embarrasment

Shakyamunison
"Makes sense" is not a good requirement for judging things in the real word. There are many things that exist but do not make sense to us. One example is optical illusions, your sense can deceive you.

debbiejo
And People.

Shakyamunison
And People.

Do you mean people like cking, jury, and Chibi Boy?

peterKSL
something makes sense only when one has learn to accept. After acceptence, there's faith and believe, which is why people always have arguement or offended about various stuff because they have grown used to it...?!?

debbiejo
It comes down to the individual....some people just don't have any common sense....They can be very intelligent in one area, but lacking in another to such an extreme...that you wonder if god left out an ingredient....really.

Wickerman
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Everything is judged to be true or not, depending of it makes sense or not.

Things are not judged to be true or not depending on how much "sense" they make, they're judged by proof, evidence. It's that way with mathematics, with physics, with anything involving laws.

But when something makes sense ? Theres a rule to it ? What leads me to think about this question is when we think about reality. For example, it "makes sense" to say that my computer exist, so I say that it exist, and probably everyone will agree with that, but why does that makes sense ?

Basic logic. Start from hypothesis, reach a conclusion erm . As for the "What's real" and "What's not real", that's not tied to "making sense" either. Reality is in the eye of the beholder. At least that's how i see it.

~wickerman~

Evil Dead
because "reality" is determined by the perception of the majority........those who do not percieve "reality" as the majority are said to have a psychosis. That's the only real reason anything "makes sense". Who knows........the entire planet could be filled with psychotic idividuals with a skewed perception of reality with only a few sane humans here and there..........locked up in institutions.

debbiejo
And thus the heretics...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Evil Dead
because "reality" is determined by the perception of the majority........those who do not percieve "reality" as the majority are said to have a psychosis. That's the only real reason anything "makes sense". Who knows........the entire planet could be filled with psychotic idividuals with a skewed perception of reality with only a few sane humans here and there..........locked up in institutions.

That's how I've seen it, I just never tell anyone. confused

debbiejo
Talking about what makes sense is senseless.....what made sense yesterday might not make sense today.

Capt_Fantastic
I feel ignorant. I don't think I understand the question.

Atlantis001

Atlantis001

debbiejo
Your irritating.

Wickerman

Atlantis001
Yeah... maybe its just a matter of opinion, but I think that it makes sense to say that "box B fit in box A, because A is larger", or that a "fact is a fact, because we saw it happen", obivious would be in this perpective like another word for "making sense".

debbiejo
Making sense is in the eye of the beholder..... blink

Wickerman
Making sense is in the eye of the beholder..... blink

Originally posted by Wickerman
Reality is in the eye of the beholder. At least that's how i see it.

~wickerman~

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Wickerman

I just don't understand this statement.

Wickerman
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I just don't understand this statement.

It means that although you may or may not the "reality" that's accepted by the majority of people out there, what comes first is the reality you see. Like i said earlier, this doesn't apply to things that are obvious, but rather to things that you have to "think about". For example:

The majority of people might not see things the way i do concerning this subject. But i do. It's my opinion, and therefore it's how i see this little piece of reality. Therefore, reality is in the eye of the beholder. 'Course, this applies to opinions, but also other things which i'm too lazy to enumerate

~wickerman~

Storm
Our perception of the external world begins with the senses, which lead us to generate empirical concepts representing the world around us, within a mental framework relating new concepts to preexisting ones.
There is the possibility of discrepancies between the external world and the perceiver' s impressions, the possibility of our senses deceiving us.
Viewed in that light, "making sense" is perhaps putting the standard of reason against what our senses perceive.

debbiejo
That can go along with intuition.

Fire
I think intuition is based on exactly the opposite. intuition is making a gut feeling guess about something because we lack the empirical data to make a calculated guess.

debbiejo
Intuition is a sense....a sense of an inner knowing....most people don't know how to understand it and others use it all the time to make decisions...It can usually be right on...It's outside the 5 senses...we all have it.

Atlantis001
From our senses we generate empirical concepts to explain the world, but to give sense to empirism we must make use of our intuition. There is no way to prove the affirmation "The empirirism is true", we must use our intuition to understand its validity, or if you want... our faith to believe in its truth. Its difficult to perceive that, but we must make use of intuition, or faith to give to say that empirism is true. This way empirism makes sense because we think that, it is a opinion.

Darth Demise
what actually makes sense? what makes sense to you may not make sense to me. is there any actual thing as sense?

debbiejo
Only to yourself, I guess. When I think of certain things,
then, ZING, it makes since, but others just ----->> blink

Mindship
"Making sense" to a large extent means self-evidencing. Something doesn't require an explanation; we just know from experience that this is a reliable mainstay of existence. As commonly understood, eg, it makes sense that two solid objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time, or that 2+2=4.

Problems happen when frames of reference cross. For instance, there are theories in physics which are truly, in their own way, beautiful. They have such elegance that they "must" be true. But that is not the same as experimental verification.

Atlantis001

Cornlady
Everything is judged to be true or not, depending of it makes sense or not. But when something makes sense ? Theres a rule to it ? What leads me to think about this question is when we think about reality. For example, it "makes sense" to say that my computer exist, so I say that it exist, and probably everyone will agree with that, but why does that makes sense ?

I agree, because when we do not understand something or it does not make any sense, then we can say that it does not exisit.

Peace,
Amanda

Storm
Just because some things might be beyond our comprehension, it does not mean that they don' t exist.

Cornlady
Originally posted by Storm
Just because some things might be beyond our comprehension, it does not mean that they don' t exist.

I agree there; there are things that I do not understand (we cannot understand everything in the world), but I know it is around.

Peace,
Amanda

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.