why do people live this way

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bardock
why do people put their career and material needs in front of family and friends when in the end you wont care about money only people you love?

Lil Krueger
Answer: Its Like The DarkSide Of The Force.

DarkAge
That's a bit glib...

vatalya
Well I don't know where you are writing from but I understand it is part of America's culture. It's all about accomplishments: what have you done in life, how far have you gone. The american dream is to make it "big."

SlipknoT
You hate your family?

bardock
no their just seems to be ways that would be better to live

Wickerman
Originally posted by bardock
why do people put their career and material needs in front of family and friends when in the end you wont care about money only people you love?

This unfortunately does happen quite often.....but it's also a very often met misunderstanding. People work their @sses off to make sure their loved ones have everything they need later on in life. However, some angsty teen comes along screaming "you never hugged me" then goes on a killing spree no . But that's quite rare stick out tongue

~wickerman~

debbiejo
Because most people are materialistic...and haven't learned what important in life yet....It's immaturity....and selfishness.....People are more important than things.....

Fire
pure materialism

Alpha Centauri
People confuse selfishness and self-upkeep.

I look after myself first and foremost because if I can't look after myself and run my own life, how can I help those I care about?

It's because people don't look after theirselves enough for fear of being called selfish.

-AC

Imperial_Samura
Hmmm. A bit of a generalisation, but then quite true in many cases as well. One thing I have noticed is, in Australia at least, there can be a tendency of working hard to "express" how you feel for family. You want them safe, secure, happy and sadly we, due to social standards and such equate this with working. 9 to 5, put your kids through the best schools, keep up appearances, live the American/Australian/English etc dream. If your not earning your not living. If your not working your not helping you kids do better then you, be more then you.

Sad, but generally there seems to be so much of that around, which isn't a good thing in my view.

Ushgarak
What a very romantic notion is involved with the opening of this post!

Whilst it might be very comforting for those without money to imagine that those who concentrate on its accumulation will be ultimately miserable...

... it is a naive view. Plenty of very rich people can very easily simply equate their happiness with their material possessions and be damned to everyone else!

Bardock42
Yes...what Ush said .....

Morpheus
Originally posted by Wickerman
This unfortunately does happen quite often.....but it's also a very often met misunderstanding. People work their @sses off to make sure their loved ones have everything they need later on in life. However, some angsty teen comes along screaming "you never hugged me" then goes on a killing spree no . But that's quite rare stick out tongue

~wickerman~ thumb up thumb up

botankus

Are you Bardock42's cousin?

Bardock42
Originally posted by botankus
Are you Bardock42's cousin?

Nah, we are in the same cult...he doesn't deserve the 42 yet....

debbiejo
Originally posted by Bardock42
Nah, we are in the same cult...he doesn't deserve the 42 yet....

laughing

Borg....like 7 of 9.....you're one Bardock of 42

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
laughing

Borg....like 7 of 9.....you're one Bardock of 42

Almost...I am 42 Bardocks of 76.....

lil bitchiness

They could ask the same question, i suppose. Why would you put everything else in front of your career when ultimately you'll need money.

WindDancer

To some extent is pure simple greed. I've heard of cases in which people will sacrifice their loves one for a shot of fortune. I'm a bit greedy myself so there are times in which I might cross the line. But so far I haven't so I'm feeling good.

darth-yoda
the american dream is a lie and people put material possesions because the greeedy end off

EsteemedLeader
The American dream is to own. "You ain't no kind of man if you ain't got land" and similar bull****. Thankfully, I don't care about that. happy

bardock
**** the dream

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.