Learn How to RP (Good to know)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

the-unforgiven
The Art of RPing

As said in the title, Roleplaying is an art aswell as a skill. When a RP story has been completed it can be really cool, and it can be fun to make. RPing is not that much different than writing a story book. Each RP has the same elements of a story(AKA a narrative). Also remember, your RP should be kept serious for the most part. Now to begin the lesson.

1. Plot : The sequence of events in a story

Exposition - Writing that provides information about:
a) Setting
b) Some main charaters
c) Hint at conflict

Complication - Single event that begins the rising action

Rising Action - Events that lead up to the Climax

Climax - (AKA Turning Point/Crisis) Crucial moment when the hero's fate hangs in the balance

Falling Action - All events that follow the turning point

Resolutin - Outcome of the conflict (the end)

2. Conflict : A struggle between two opposing forces (Normally Protaganist vs. Antagonist)

Internal Conflict - Struggle within the Character's mind.
There is only one type of Internal Conflict : Man vs. Self

External Conflict - Struggle between a character and an outside force
There are 4 types of External Conflict:
a)Man vs. Man
b)Man vs. Nature
c)Man vs. Society/Group
d)Man vs. Technology/Machine

*Note : Type D won't appear much here... save maybe with Gnimish*

Protagonist - Main character, normally the "Good Guy"
Antagonist - Character who opposes protagonist

3. Suspense : Quality that makes readers eager to know what happens next (to build interest).

4. Foreshadowing : The planting of clues that hint at what events will come later in the story.

5. Setting : Time and Place in which a narrative is set. The setting contains:
a)Time
b)Place
c)Mood
*Mood - Feeling, or atmosphere, created in a narrative.

6. Irony - Irony comes in three types:
a) Verbal Irony : A discrepency between what is stated and what is meant.
IE : "It's perfect fairness was obvious" (Referring to a Corrupted Court)

b)Irony of a Situation : A contrast between what is expected and what really happens.
IE : A soldier catches an enemy scout off guard getting water, and spares him. Later on that soldier is killed by the very same scout.

c)Dramatic Irony : When ready knows something the character doesn't.
IE: There was a tiger behind the right door, and the correct passage was behind the left door. The hero decided to take his chances with the right door.

7. Characterization - Personality a character displays also the means by which the auther displays that personality

Indirect Characterization - The author allows the reader to discover what the character is like through:
a)The character's own actions and words
b)Through the character's thoughts
c)What other characters say about that character

Direct Characterization - When the author tells the reader directly what the character is like.

8. Types of Characters - There are two sets of characteristics for characters in stories. I call them "Shape" and "Dimension". A character can not be both parts of a set, but each character is one from each set.

The "Shape" set consists of:
a) Static - A character who remains the same through the whole story. Keeps his views on something/everything.

b) Round - A character who undergoes a large change through the story. Changes his views on something/everything.

The "Dimension" set consists of:
a) Flat - Character who has one side to its personality

b) Round - Character that has many sides or dimensions to its personality

9. Theme - Main idea in a work of literature.

10. Allusion - Reference to history, myth, music, figure from the bible, or any other work of literature.

11. Symbol - Something that has meaning in itself while at the same time represents something larger.

12. Point of View - (P.O.V. for short)The vantage point from which a story is told. There are three types of P.O.V.s used for story telling:

a)1st Person P.O.V. - When the narrator is one of the characters. Uses words like "I" and "We".

b)Third Person Limited - Outside narrator; can see into the heart and mind of one character

c)Omnicient - "All Knowing" narrator. ('omni' = all, 'scient' = knowledge); Outside narrator - can see into the heart and mind of all characters

the-unforgiven
Tactics to Enlongate your Posts

There are four simple ways to lengthen your post, all of which are simple.
1. Banter
Lots of talking does lengthen a post, especially if you put spaces between phrases like so:
I probably wrote:
"Hello good sir," said Sacrial

"Hello ... elf," said the gaurd.

2. Physical Description
Physical descriptions of your newly entering character, new rooms, and newly entering NPCs help to lengthen a post if it is long enough. You can go through great lengths of description. Like this post fragment I have here.

"All around the room, weapons were hung on the walls and laid into crates on display. There was a counter near the center of the room, and behind it stood a heavyset human eating a piece of bread like an animal. Upon the arrival of the three heros, he stopped eating and swallowed all that was in his mouth."

3. Inner Thoughts
You are not omniscient, however, you do control each and every action and thought of your character (obviously). Somethings you want people to know what you are plotting for the thread ahead, or, if you have a personal opinion of someone, you can show your true feelings, good or bad, without the person knowing. This is a good example inner feelings being held back (relating to the physical description above).

"What a pig this human is! Uhg. Just looking at his face covered in crums and some spittle makes me uneasy. Of all the blacksmiths in this land, I had to run into this one. Oh well, best not seem discrimanent, thought the elf."

4. Vocabulary
By using a more advanced vocabulary (and hopefully spelling it right), you can lengthen your post further (and hopefully look smarter).

For example, saying that the mans manerisms were extremely odd, even for a gnome, you could say he was an eccentric gnome with grotesque mannerisms.

the-unforgiven
What is Roleplaying?

"What is Roleplaying?

Roleplaying is an active suspension of reality. It is using your imagination to create an alter ego, and to interact with others under with the same suspended view. It is an act of imagination, allowing you to visit new worlds, experience new things, and best of all, to be any kind of person you want to be.

Roleplaying takes many forms, and there are many genre's that exist. Shadowlands has a roughly medievel theme, taking place in a society where magic is a prevailing force, and technology is no where to be seen. The people dash around to and from adventures, wearing swords or carrying wands, rather than dashing to their job carrying a briefcase. In this world, even the Gods have their antagonism's, the good battling the evil for their own goals.

Roleplaying is entering a different world, and allowing your imagination to become enmeshed with your surroundings. It is a great way to take a simple hack and slash to a new level, where you are a mighty hero, or a dastardly villain. You can be a sneaking rogue, a valorous knight, a powerful wizard... Whatever your imagination is capable of.

Where Do I Start?

Playing the game is not enough. Characters need depth if you intend to roleplay them. They need a history, goals, passions, hatreds... Simply put, they need a reason for their existence that has nothing to do with "playing a game."
This is not a matter of running around thee'ing and thou'ing someone, which quite frankly has nothing to do with Shadowlands. All the other people in the realm speak without the flowery language, and only Bard's speak in High Cant anymore, except in formal situations of course.

So where do you start? You start with a text editor and you make an outline of what your character is all about. These initial notes will eventually become your characters biography.

Writing a Biography

Biographies are written any number of ways, and I am not writing you this to tell you exactly how you should do it. But, there are guidelines and a few rules to keep it in character and in theme with what is going on around you.

Start Simple

What does your character look like? If you picked an ugly half-ogre, then describe your character as one, not as some dashing young knight in arms. Trolls are ugly, nasty brutes who like to eat gnomes and halflings and anything else that will fit into a cookpot.

A characters looks should depend heavily on their race. Elves are the most beautiful physically, followed closely by half-elves and humans. Gnomes are short and halflings have hairy feet. Drow have dark skin and are inherently evil. Know what kind of features each race has. The racial descriptions can provide alot of this sort of information for you.

Don't forget other matters of physicality... Well muscled, slim, extremely short, tall for their race, overweight, shapely... All of these are good places to start. However, this is fantasy. Your elven Princesess may be extremely beautiful even for there race. Just be sure that you work their looks into a believeable form. Then move on to step two.

Life Before Now

Characters need history for depth. So figure out where your character came from. This can be as varied as you want. It can be simple or complex. Who were your parents? Your character may have grown up on a farm, and always wanted to explore beyond his fathers fields. Or you grew up an orphan in Tel Mivar, and soon took up with a pack of street urchins who pickpoketed for their meals. The variety is there, you need only seize onto an idea that appeals to you. Did you grow up in a palace? In a hut? Were you a slave to the drow, or are you a simple person brought up by shopkeeper parents?

What this kind of information does, is it begins to display the characters personality, and shows a bit of how they got the way they are now. This gives you something you can tell people later, when you meet them. It can explain how you grew to have a great dislike of the Wintermist guards, or why you are so attracted to troll women. You needn't write a 1000 page memoir of your experience, but touch on highlights and major events that may have shaped you.

Training and Adventuring

So, somewhere back in the days of your youth you decided to follow the occupational path you are on now. What caused it, where did you begin training? Who was your mentor? These are all questions to be answered. Your profession is what your life has become. Did you have a religious vision that convinced you to become a cleric? Were you tired of being beaten up by your older brother, so you bulked up and became a warrior? Answer this and you enlarge the vision of your character, allowing you to move easily to the next step..

Purpose and goals

Here is a big one. This involves the here and now of your characters life. What are you living for? What do you hope to accomplish with your characters life? Are you on a mission to abolish evil? Are you there to heal? Do you hope to have your name sung across the world? Why, why, why?

Putting it All Together

After these things are set in your mind, you can put the whole thing together into something that resembles a story. This story should give you all the background information you need to roleplay your character.

Questions to help developing a Bio

1. What is your name?
2. What is your race?
3. How tall are you?
4. How old are you?
5. What color hair and eyes?

6. Where were you born?
7. Who were your parents?
8. How did you spend your childhood?
9. What major events marked your life?
10. WHo played parts as inspiration?

11. Why did you choose your profession?
12. What are your goals?
13. How will your profession help you reach your goals?
14. Where do you see your characters future heading?
15. What motivation keeps you going?

Know Your Background

Now that your bio is there, use it. When you log on, simply step into that personal. Be that character you created. However, don't ignore the larger picture... Everyone else walking around has a story all their own, and you are all living in a pre-existing world where large conflicts are a part of daily life.

the-unforgiven
I know i should have asked for permission first, but i posted this anyway, for people that is intrested in learning how to RP in a great way. This was givven to me by a friend, and i recomend you read it trough, even if you think you know how to RP. I have learned alot by only reading some of this. You should atleast read abit of it, and you will probably realise this all make alot of sense.

Ushgarak. Please dont be mad at me, just thought this was a good thing to post

Ushgarak
It's fine, it just might have gone better in the Noted thread wanting contributions about better RPing, is all!

Mardel
ush could u make it a note thread???

JacopeX
I follow everything except of speech. I talk how I want to talk. Im really good with detail and all.

the-unforgiven
how great big grin

Ushgarak
I'll probably consider this a a contribution towards the process of buolding a 'better play' thread.

the-unforgiven
yeay... that sounds great, ush big grin

Darth Extecute
just putting it visible again..

Darth Extecute
*Bump* Just want it visible.. smile

Marxman
lol what are you some sort of English major? But in all seriousness this is some good stuff. Some people really don't know how to RP, they don't realize its a form of story-telling. This would be good for all RPers to read, newbies and experienced RPers.

ESB -1138
Man, people should read this before jumping into role-playing. I mean some people jump in that shouldn't belong here.

JacopeX
Really, I'm very worried for RPing in KMC. Unhosted has been receiving alot of Bullshit RPing by Newcomers only last year. At least there were a couple decent ones but most of them never came back as the other N00bs stay to crap all over the Hosted and unhosted. I think this thread should be Stickied.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by JacopeX
Really, I'm very worried for RPing in KMC. Unhosted has been receiving alot of Bullshit RPing by Newcomers only last year. At least there were a couple decent ones but most of them never came back as the other N00bs stay to crap all over the Hosted and unhosted. I think this thread should be Stickied.

yes yes It's amazing how many n00bs bombarded the Unhosted section over the last year. They just came in such force that they were overwhelming to almost everyone including experienced role players that have been here and know what's what. Just the thought of some of those role players makes me want to leave KMC right now but lucky for me most, if not all of them, have left. yes yes

jewallac
Well I just want to say on the behalf of the good noob RPers that some of us are really good. The Big EH and me to name a few. (I can't remember the other names. I've rp'd with them b ut can't remember their names. Oops. Sorry.) mad

K Tragedy
If I may make a suggestion...

Perhaps, instead of a guideline, we should offer a school? A type of "learning atmosphere" if you will. By organizing willing, experienced RPers and ready-to-learn newcomers I think it should all go over well. We won't have tests or anything but it's just to help with detail, profile-making... Anything really.

It's just a suggestion though. Don't mind me.

Thunder Fox
Originally posted by K Tragedy

Perhaps, instead of a guideline, we should offer a school? A type of "learning atmosphere" if you will. By organizing willing, experienced RPers and ready-to-learn newcomers I think it should all go over well. We won't have tests or anything but it's just to help with detail, profile-making... Anything really.

It's just a suggestion though. Don't mind me. thats a good idea

SpadeKing
this seems more like how to write a good story if you ask me ermm

K Tragedy
Thank you TF

That is what RP is. A story written back and forth by actions and phrases of characters.

Thunder Fox
yep no prob

Darth Extecute
Well, this is mainly to aid others in their strife to become better roleplayers. This can also be used in novel writing, like you figured by now. See this more as guidelines than rules, as there is no specific way that is the "correct" way. Some ways are just more comfortable than others. I am pretty sure the majority prefere the roleplaying that this guide provides, before something that is more like:
"ok" he said, gave out a lol and took of.
Well, I simply recommend everyone to read this thread trough.

Everyone can improve. I improved by this, but I still have a lot to learn. As far as I know, everyone still have a lot to learn and can get improved. Study this thread, and other roleplayers, and your own roleplaying skills can only go in one direction. smile

JaehSkywalker
Originally posted by Darth Extecute
*Bump* Just want it visible.. smile

thanks for posting this. this'll help my friends who i'm teachin' to rp... it'll help me teach em better too. thanks.. big grin

JacopeX

It's just a suggestion though. Don't mind me. .....I smiled at this Idea actually just imagining how it would be. stick out tongue

ESB -1138
Yeah, she actually think n00bs would go to it.

K Tragedy
It was a suggestion. What makes you think "n00bs" would take the time to read this either?

Not that it wasn't good. It was really well thought-out actually. But it was lengthy. Thus, I think a lazy newcomer wouldn't go through and read it.

I'm sorry I only offered an idea. I'll keep it to myself next time.

JacopeX
But why would you if there are are others that will agree?

Vathu
I think that'd be cool.. no expression

But I kind of taught myself... whistle

K Tragedy
Because there are always people who don't even take a second to register the idea or to at least think it over before donating a flame.

I'm just being grouchy today. Don't mind me.

*Nibbles a snickers*

Vathu

Women tend to get grumpier during pregnancy.. It's natural. no expression

oooh. A snickers! o_o ;Tackle;

;Stole.;

;Ran for his life.;

Thunder Fox
Because there are always people who don't even take a second to register the idea or to at least think it over before donating a flame.

I'm just being grouchy today. Don't mind me.

*Nibbles a snickers* i like snickers

Vathu
Originally posted by Thunder Fox
i like snickers

Too bad. I already ate it, digested it and... Disposed of it. shifty

;Giggled maniacally.;

Marxman
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Yeah, she actually think n00bs would go to it. Some of them don't read the threads that are stickied right now. Still, it wouldn't hurt to sticky this thread or a Q&A thread like K was thinking of.

Vathu
Yeah, she actually think n00bs would go to it.

By she I think you mean. Jacope.

Oh wait. Jacopes the n00b...

Damnit! ><

Being old sucks.. Your mind goes to crap. no expression

Anyways. The point of all this. And by all this. I mean. The thing I'm saying now. Here at the bottom. That actually makes sense IS:

Mmm... Snickers.. ;Nibbled on his Reese's cup.;

Ambience
Originally posted by Vathu

i tougt i was da n00b.
ninja

Darth Extecute
It's great to see you guys socializing, but preferable do it elsewhere. I rather have no reply at all in this thread, than OOT posts. Considering I did this thread to help others out, I prefere if we keep it OT.

JacopeX
That made as much sence as cows flying.

ESB -1138
That made as much sence as cows flying.

http://members.lycos.nl/cownchicken/ep/ep-whoissuper.jpg

Super Cow!!

JacopeX
http://members.lycos.nl/cownchicken/ep/ep-whoissuper.jpg

Super Cow!! http://content.ytmnd.com/content/3/c/3/3c3797ce23e77714f84cdcc25f27ebd0.wav

Spirit Binder

It's just a suggestion though. Don't mind me. It is a suggestion, but a good one.

I could be a teacher. geek

JacopeX
Can I be a Special Guest! cool

Kaldorei
Great thread, I must say.
I have a question, when it comes to roleplaying and I hope someone can help me with that big grin

Too often, do I use -She said- -She said- -She said- -She said- -She said- after a dialogue of my own . I would like some hints of how I can vary that habit shifty Nasty habit and I am sure someone has something to say about it big grin

MadMel
she replied, she muttered, she raged, she responded, she wispered...that sort of stuff..

Kaldorei
Ah. Stating verbs in different forms big grin Can not believe I did not think of that. confused Thank you big grin

Wild-Cherry
Originally posted by Kaldorei
Ah. Stating verbs in different forms big grin Can not believe I did not think of that. confused Thank you big grin Also, it kind of depends on your RP style, but when speaking in dialogue with another character, you don't even have to indicate that she/he is speaking after the innitial 'she said' , or you can " seamlessly Transit" to another verb or proverb, even another peice of dialogue, although in many cases it doesn't seem to fit, even if it is gramatically correct. confused Mels idea is also a very good one, you can even switch it around a bit for a different feel, or replace she with the characters name. lots of options. happy smile

Ex.

A.) Wild-Cherry Looked towards the horizon and noticed the figure in the distance. Unnerved she turned toward Kaldorei. Her ears swiveled, and her tail swished. " The time has come. " The time was lunch. And they desperatly needed it.

B. ) Wild-Cherry Looked towards the horizon and noticed the figure in the distance. Unnerved she turned toward Kaldorei. Her ears swiveled, and her tail swished. " The time has come. " she said.( 1 ) " Now you know what we have to do." With a nod she moved forward. " Lets make this quick. "

C. ) Wild-Cherry Looked towards the horizon and noticed the figure in the distance. Unnerved she turned toward Kaldorei. Her ears swiveled, and her tail swished. " The time has come. " She stated, with an air of superiority.

Meh, not great sugegstions but hope they help a little happy

Darth Extecute
I myself use the things "He said" "She said" all the time.. That's because I'm lazy.. big grin

There is a lot of different ways to twist and turn the finish, and a lot of good examples has already been given by above posters..

What you need to keep in mind, is that if you have said something you have to remember to indicate somehow that it was you who said it.. Most people here are experienced roleplayers, and if you misstype or lack description, no great harm is done.. They understand you anyway big grin

"The time is now" She said
"The time is now" The time was lunch
"The time has come" She stated
"The time is now" She raged

Is several good examples that I would like to point out yes

"The time is now" Wild-Cherry took a deep breath, knowing it was now or never.. (For example)

You get the point... I did not teach much new, just pointed out good points from the others big grin

JacopeX
You must also show the emotion of the character aswell. Even in a sentence it can be done. Example.

"Hold on." She said.

"Hold on!!!." She yelled

"Hold on......" She whispered. There was a long pause.

There can be alot more I can show but hopefully you get what I am trying to say on that part aswell.

Kaldorei
Super big grin Thank you all. I did a post in the hosted roleplay place, in a tournament thing where I tried to avoid the she and he said things as good as possible. Well, not avoid them but use them in a more proffessional way. I am quite proud of myself. Good reading. I recommend the post shifty

Wild-Cherry
Super big grin Thank you all. I did a post in the hosted roleplay place, in a tournament thing where I tried to avoid the she and he said things as good as possible. Well, not avoid them but use them in a more proffessional way. I am quite proud of myself. Good reading. I recommend the post shifty oh kewl, ive been waiting for that to start up smile

Spirit Binder
Originally posted by Wild-Cherry
oh kewl, ive been waiting for that to start up smile My RP started up, and died after 9 posts ermm

JacopeX
Originally posted by Spirit Binder
My RP started up, and died after 9 posts ermm Is that possible? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Wild-Cherry
Originally posted by Spirit Binder
My RP started up, and died after 9 posts ermm what rp?

TigerEyes
I'm a passionate creative writer, so rping came naturally to me, but I admit to having fault, I tend to cut the setting details because I hate writing long descriptive paragraphs...yet I probably should....yet I've been in rps with much worse.

and the idea of a school is interesting...

Menetnashté
I myself use the things "He said" "She said" all the time.. That's because I'm lazy.. big grin

There is a lot of different ways to twist and turn the finish, and a lot of good examples has already been given by above posters..

What you need to keep in mind, is that if you have said something you have to remember to indicate somehow that it was you who said it.. Most people here are experienced roleplayers, and if you misstype or lack description, no great harm is done.. They understand you anyway big grin

"The time is now" She said
"The time is now" The time was lunch
"The time has come" She stated
"The time is now" She raged

Is several good examples that I would like to point out yes

"The time is now" Wild-Cherry took a deep breath, knowing it was now or never.. (For example)

You get the point... I did not teach much new, just pointed out good points from the others big grin
I haven't seen you in god knows how long

JacopeX
RPing came from the ideas I had for a powerful character. A main character I hoped that worked among other characters either real or made up into a storyline.

Darth Extecute

MadMel
RPing came from the ideas I had for a powerful character. A main character I hoped that worked among other characters either real or made up into a storyline.
i also hate the people who consider the UH to be an anime ripoff, with over powered characters and poor rpers...wrong on all counts..the power level of characters is balanced, i cant even stand to watch animes, so i shouldnt be able to stand the rp either ( roll eyes (sarcastic) ) and it has the rper of the f*king year in it mad

Blaxican
yes yes It's amazing how many n00bs bombarded the Unhosted section over the last year. They just came in such force that they were overwhelming to almost everyone including experienced role players that have been here and know what's what. Just the thought of some of those role players makes me want to leave KMC right now but lucky for me most, if not all of them, have left. yes yes

*CoughDarkDeathBringerCough*

Darth Extecute
Originally posted by MadMel
i also hate the people who consider the UH to be an anime ripoff, with over powered characters and poor rpers...wrong on all counts..the power level of characters is balanced, i cant even stand to watch animes, so i shouldnt be able to stand the rp either ( roll eyes (sarcastic) ) and it has the rper of the f*king year in it mad

Who?

Blaxican
In all honesty someone should also post the correct way to fight another person. I absolutly hate people who godmode when they fight...

Darth Extecute
Yes.. I am good at it in theory, but I never have had a chance to put it into real use.. I do not count Star Wars as a proper fighting scenario.. One hit is fatal, and it is very hard to get a fight done like that, without killing your opponent in a post.. Quite lame fighting scenes in RP..

Blaxican
No, not at all. It's very easy to roleplay a star wars duel. People just need to realize that no matter what you do, always attempt to attack someone, never go through with it. You let the other person decide what the effect of your attack is.

Yes!

Billy brought his Lightsaber down hard in a vertical slash, attempting to cleave Bob in two.

No!

Billy yelled and charged at Bob. He swiped with his lightsaber and cut Bob's hand off then laughed.

It's quite simple... If you do it correctly then Bob has a chance to defend himself.

Bob brought his own 'saber up to deflect Billy's downward slash. At the same time Bob brought his left fist up, attempting to punch Billy in the chin.

Etc.

Billy leaned his head back, dodging the blow. He jumped back and attempted to use a force push on Bob.

Bob used his own force push to counter Billy's, then threw his lightsaber, aiming for Billy's neck.

Darth Extecute
My point being, there is more freedom in a normal fantasy RP fight than an Star Wars, due to the limitations that there is.. Well, I am talking of personal experience and skills.. I know others might have an easier time fighting in an Star Wars roleplay, but I do not..

If I put it like this.. If it comes to a fistfight (Which will not occur) in Star Wars, that would be fine too.. You can make so much better fights when you do not have "one shot- one kill" equipment..

Blaxican
Well, I can relate. I don't really like fighting with Guns in Roleplays...

For me Star Wars fighting comes easy because I spend more then half my time online writing Star Wars stories, and RP'ing on various Invi(s)ionfree Roleplay sites.

Kaldorei
and it has the rper of the f*king year in it mad

Is there such an KMC award? eek! I better put my back into this then. I have been a little on the lazy side. confused

JacopeX
i also hate the people who consider the UH to be an anime ripoff, with over powered characters and poor rpers...wrong on all counts..the power level of characters is balanced, i cant even stand to watch animes, so i shouldnt be able to stand the rp either ( roll eyes (sarcastic) ) and it has the rper of the f*king year in it mad True really.

What I hate is how ignorant other RPers can be. If the UH was based on Anime, did I ever use the word "Anime" in the RP? Never. OVerpowered? Actually it is all balanced due to the fact that all to Heroes are very powerful and it is all fair at the same tiem since they are all in the same level or somehow a little lesser or more powerful that each other. What makes them think that the RP is filled with many RPers all the time? And yes, im the RPer of the year of 2006. But I doubt Ill win it. There are starting to be new RPers coming in who seem to know what they are doing. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Is there such an KMC award? eek! I better put my back into this then. I have been a little on the lazy side. confused Yea, you should check the thread out. But I wonder how many Votes I won the award by. smile

Originally posted by Blaxican
In all honesty someone should also post the correct way to fight another person. I absolutly hate people who godmode when they fight... Well you see. Let me show you the difference between godmodding and what I do. To end this whole "OMG Jacope X GoDmOd3S, wat a n00b! LOLZ!!!111one!!!"

Well using the word "attempt" is not going to work all the time. Because they going to "dodge" it all the time. So you must say it connected. But you can never just kill a character but you can inflict pain into the character little by little and then get to Inflicting even more damaging pain.

Do not

1. Kill a character without permission

2. Do too much damage such as taking over the character and trying to be "untouchable" <<<< Look at that word. And remember it.

3. A treu godmodder would have Over powerful "UNORGANIZED" powers. Unorgnized powers would be over balanced power.

So in conclusion, I would like to say that I DO NOT GODMODE. All who say different, I will keep on going to prove you wrong because it is really getting on my nerves. Plus, I had a huge debate with the guys in the Hosted RP. Accusing me of many things but of course, they are to ignorant to listen, aswell as there ego cause them to insult me in many ways. That is why, im rihgt and there wrong on many parts of the Debate really. I must avoid this "Hosted RPers" From now on. yes

Blaxican
Like Spadeking! eek!

Kaldorei
Yea, you should check the thread out. But I wonder how many Votes I won the award by. smile

Direct me! big grin Things just took a sudden turn.

JacopeX
Sure! But you have been doing very well for a beginner. I think by the end of the year, you will probably be one of the nomineese if you keep up. And yes it is to early to tell the awards at the moment. big grin

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19982&highlight=awards+forumid%3A62

Kaldorei
Who won the award of being worst roleplayer? confused

Well, now I made up my mind. I will put my back into roleplaying big grin I will be in nomination by the end of the year shifty

JacopeX
Who won the award of being worst roleplayer? confused

Well, now I made up my mind. I will put my back into roleplaying big grin I will be in nomination by the end of the year shifty You know, I always wanted a "Worst RPer of the year" to see who it was. I think Burning thought was though. Later in the day, I will show you how he was SO close to killing my first ultimate hero RPG sad. MadMel, and among others will explain the tragedy. They are Eyewitnesses. big grin

Blaxican

Well using the word "attempt" is not going to work all the time. Because they going to "dodge" it all the time.

Ah... but THATS were it gets intresting. Realisticly speaking, you should try to corner your opponent, or outsmart them.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with "dodging" all the time, in a sense. Eventually one of the players is going to do a move that leaves themselves open, and they're going to have to take the hit. Inflicting damage over time is more annoying, honestly, because it makes people look bad.

An example of this is when tw

MadMel
You know, I always wanted a "Worst RPer of the year" to see who it was. I think Burning thought was though. Later in the day, I will show you how he was SO close to killing my first ultimate hero RPG sad. MadMel, and among others will explain the tragedy. They are Eyewitnesses. big grin
no....no!
its too tragic to tell sad....
seriously though...i was here for a year, and i got nominated as the best supporting rper AND the mostly likly rper to start an in game relationship!

Kaldorei
There is one question that keep visiting my mind. In the Ultimate Fighter roleplay, my character is based on not being hit. That is her strength big grin

Godmode? confused

MadMel
being too powerful
aka blowing up universe or planet stuff without a reason..

JacopeX
Ah... but THATS were it gets intresting. Realisticly speaking, you should try to corner your opponent, or outsmart them.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with "dodging" all the time, in a sense. Eventually one of the players is going to do a move that leaves themselves open, and they're going to have to take the hit. Inflicting damage over time is more annoying, honestly, because it makes people look bad.

An example of this is when tw Yea I do that aswell. I have to come up with the most trapping moves. And I get sick of doing that afterwards. I want to inflict some hit combos. Yes, it is possible though. YOu just have to get the opponent groggy and all. that is why it is better to RP with very experienced RPers aswell because they keep the Character in track to see how hurt, how powerful, or how groggy they are from what they recive from there opponent(s). Am I right?

MadMel
yea..

JacopeX
There is one question that keep visiting my mind. In the Ultimate Fighter roleplay, my character is based on not being hit. That is her strength big grin

Godmode? confused Wait a minute!

As in like if I were to hit your character she becomes more powerful? thats pretty new. And I think it is godmodding. Because that is the only way they can get to inflicting pain on you. Try to find another type of increasing strength. hopefully for you it will work! big grin

no....no!
its too tragic to tell sad....
seriously though...i was here for a year, and i got nominated as the best supporting rper AND the mostly likly rper to start an in game relationship! Yea. I even had to get the Elder god to Stop him. Thats howe terrible Burning thought wa.s I promised never ever use the Elder god in a fight. He is just a guide throughout life.

Blaxican

An example of this is when tw

erm

Half of it got cut off. Anyway, as I was saying...

I'm going to use Billy and Bob as examples again...

Billy happens to be a master martial artists. Bob has the ability to phase through objects.

Billy's Post:

Billy jumped forward lightning quick and performed a 4 hit combo to Bob's legs then jumped back. He grinned. "Had enough?" (Cheesy, but eh.)

Well... wtf? Bob obviously would have phased through that or something, but he never even got the chance to. Pretty messed up. Another example:

Bob ran forward and phased through Billy , coming out behind him. He b*tch slapped Billy in the back of the head, then went into a fighting stance.

M'kay... if Billy's a master Martial Artist then don't you think he probably would have been able to reverse that somehow?

You see my point?

EDIT: The Combo thing had nothing to do with you. I posted that before I read your above post, lol.

MadMel
Yea. I even had to get the Elder god to Stop him. Thats howe terrible Burning thought wa.s I promised never ever use the Elder god in a fight. He is just a guide throughout life.
same with death..unless hes fighting someone like satan..

Blaxican
Burning Thought... wasn't he that chump who was obssesed with some video game character? Trying to think... Legacy of Kayne or something?

JacopeX
Burning Thought... wasn't he that chump who was obssesed with some video game character? Trying to think... Legacy of Kayne or something? I dont know, but he sure as hell caused a Train Wreck in my RP.

A total of 6 RPers quit

It was only me, MadMel, Mrcurt, and Among two or three others.

Heres an example of how tragic it was. roll eyes (sarcastic)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iIVF5heEtZY

Blaxican
I dont know, but he sure as hell caused a Train Wreck in my RP.

A total of 6 RPers quit

It was only me, MadMel, Mrcurt, and Among two or three others.

Heres an example of how trgic it was. roll eyes (sarcastic)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iIVF5heEtZY

LOL! I LOVE that commerical!

The people in there are losing there damn minds!

MadMel
Burning Thought... wasn't he that chump who was obssesed with some video game character? Trying to think... Legacy of KaIn or something?
with good reason..hes right about kain, but unfortunatly he cant rp..
jacope i believe that you need to reply my post...if i recal, john teleported ice to heaven and picked a fight with blood, evil jacope, kate and mind laughing out loud..
my god hes gonna be smashed..

Kaldorei
Wait a minute!

As in like if I were to hit your character she becomes more powerful? thats pretty new. And I think it is godmodding. Because that is the only way they can get to inflicting pain on you. Try to find another type of increasing strength. hopefully for you it will work! big grin

You missunderstood me confused She is agile and is based on not being hit. She is weak, but an excellent dodger.

MadMel
not gonna help against powerhouses like jacope and me evil face..jk, big grin

JacopeX
with good reason..hes right about kain, but unfortunatly he cant rp..
jacope i believe that you need to reply my post...if i recal, john teleported ice to heaven and picked a fight with blood, evil jacope, kate and mind laughing out loud..
my god hes gonna be smashed.. Well Ice better have a Good damn Plan for this one. I know he will. He has my vote forthis years best RPer. He probably deserves it more than me.

JacopeX
You missunderstood me confused She is agile and is based on not being hit. She is weak, but an excellent dodger. OH I see now! big grin

MadMel
yea..especially when hes topping his rping with writing ices biography..

Kaldorei
In all honesty someone should also post the correct way to fight another person. I absolutly hate people who godmode when they fight...

----
Marie-Lee observed her opponent with care and as he approached her, she could tell from what direction the next punch would come. His feet moving in a certain way gave the man away and counching, followed by rolling forward Marie-Lee dodged the man in a way that he was uncapable of catching up, due the fact that his size was uncapable of bending down to such a heigh in such an short about of time.
With a gentle hit on the back of his leg while rolling, she forced her opponent down to knees. Quickly getting up, she made a spinning kick at his back and threw her foe forward.
----

How is that for a fight? confused I am not used to fighting roleplaying. I am used to the kind of roleplay named;
"Life of a peasant"
"Highschool finals"
and such roleplays big grin

MadMel
kool!

JacopeX
----
Marie-Lee observed her opponent with care and as he approached her, she could tell from what direction the next punch would come. His feet moving in a certain way gave the man away and counching, followed by rolling forward Marie-Lee dodged the man in a way that he was uncapable of catching up, due the fact that his size was uncapable of bending down to such a heigh in such an short about of time.
With a gentle hit on the back of his leg while rolling, she forced her opponent down to knees. Quickly getting up, she made a spinning kick at his back and threw her foe forward.
----

How is that for a fight? confused I am not used to fighting roleplaying. I am used to the kind of roleplay named;
"Life of a peasant"
"Highschool finals"
and such roleplays big grin Well in the Hero RPg, if you are new, you get ot meet new people first and then learn about what is going wrong. And then it is your choice to fight against the APocalypse. Or even protecto thers or anything. That part is your choice aswell. smile

Blaxican
----
----

"Life of a peasant"
"Highschool finals"
and such roleplays big grin

That's fine for fighting an NPC, but you can't do that stuff to an actual person. smile

Kaldorei
No? confused

Blaxican
What?

ya know, the whole Ultimate Hero thing is rather intresting. I have no idea why I never got into it.

MadMel
well you sorta can..in the UH at least, because most the of the players are resiliant to that kind of damage..

JacopeX
What?

ya know, the whole Ultimate Hero thing is ratehr intresting. I have no idea why I never got into it. The first one was about the villains and getitng into Taking over the universe with such Intelligent plans. And then they all went ot hell to face Satan and Lucifer and all the demons. It was prettyl ong and cool aswell.

This one is about the apocalypse. Now hell is coming to earth and as they come, it will cause a meltdown through out earth and the universe having its orbit collide with others with force and friction, it will collide into a explosion powerful enough to wipe out planets in the universe. Also, Exploding stars. That is possible aswell. I actually saw it in research. big grin

Blaxican
That's an exception. Imagien doing that in lightsaber fight or sword fight?

Bob did a 20 hit combo on Billy with his long sword evil face

Kaldorei
I mean about the:
"That's fine for fighting an NPC, but you can't do that stuff to an actual person. smile"
My post is entierly possible in real life, if there is a smaller and agile person (With brain big grin) that is fighting a person of the larger size.
I am a living eyewitness big grin

Blaxican
The first one was about the villains and getitng into Taking over the universe with such Intelligent plans. And then they all went ot hell to face Satan and Lucifer and all the demons. It was prettyl ong and cool aswell.

This one is about the apocalypse. Now hell is coming to earth and as they come, it will cause a meltdown through out earth and the universe having its orbit collide with others with force and friction, it will collide into a explosion powerful enough to wipe out planets in the universe. Also, Exploding stars. That is possible aswell. I actually saw it in research. big grin

Actually I realize the reason why I didn't get involved is because I hate jumping into the middle of things. I'm a wierdo. And it's 2 in the morning.

This Blaxican's going to sleep. See ya.

MadMel
works on me,
john felt the pain of the longsword hit him, but he had felt far worse..

JacopeX
Actually I realize the reason why I didn't get involved is because I hate jumping into the middle of things. I'm a wierdo. And it's 2 in the morning.

This Blaxican's going to sleep. See ya. It 4 AM over here. For Madmel, its probably daytime. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Goodnight though! big grin

Kaldorei
Good night, Blaxican smile

MadMel
yea cya dude..

JacopeX
Good night, Blaxican smile Before I go aswell, im going to try to get you into the story.....Using Lucy. I got a perfect Idea. big grin

Well, im about to be out. Any last words guys. roll eyes (sarcastic)

MadMel
yes
reply dammit!!@

Kaldorei
Lucy, as in Lucy the diclonius? confused

big grin

MadMel
no...lucy as in lucy the demented demoness who has the habit of slicing people limbs off laughing out loud

Kaldorei
no...lucy as in lucy the demented demoness who has the habit of slicing people limbs off laughing out loud

The difference is? big grin

JacopeX
The lucy in your Sig.

Form Elfen Lied. the Nyu girl.

Kaldorei
Exactly. Lucy the diclonius big grin Cool! smile

JacopeX
Exactly. Lucy the diclonius big grin Cool! smile ea. all you have to do is post again, and ill find a way for her to get to you.

Kaldorei
I will make a post there soon yes No rush getting her to me, though. I just want to get together with the rest of the group smile It take the time it takes smile

Kaldorei
The first one was about the villains and getitng into Taking over the universe with such Intelligent plans. And then they all went ot hell to face Satan and Lucifer and all the demons. It was prettyl ong and cool aswell.

I came to think of something. Is not Satan and Lucifer the same person? confused

JacopeX
I came to think of something. Is not Satan and Lucifer the same person? confused No no, Lucifer is COMMONLY associated with Satan. What is common of the two devils is that they are both fallen angels and Enemy of the Elder God.

Kaldorei
No no, Lucifer is COMMONLY associated with Satan. What is common of the two devils is that they are both fallen angels and Enemy of the Elder God.

That reply of yours made me do some research, this is what I found:

Matthew 13:38-39; I Peter 5:8; Revelation 9:11; 12:9-10 states following:

That is what I found. Hopefully, you found it as interesting as I did smile

Darth Extecute
I mean about the:
"That's fine for fighting an NPC, but you can't do that stuff to an actual person. smile"
My post is entierly possible in real life, if there is a smaller and agile person (With brain big grin) that is fighting a person of the larger size.
I am a living eyewitness big grin

Depends on what way you look at it.. A lot of roleplayers get frustrated if you physicaly hit their character in a fight.. Most of them prefere that you halt your post just before their character gets hit, and let them judge the damages.. If it is a good roleplayer, he will make the best out of it, maintaining balance.. If it is a godmode player, he probably will never let you hit him, and people like that I think you should just close one eye at and kill the sucker.. big grin

"She made an attempt to hit him at the back of his legs" is better than what you wrote, in most scenarios, as I repeat what I just said.. They prefere to have time to act, even though what you did would be physicaly possible in real life.. This is not real life (Man, I wish) roll eyes (sarcastic) Especially not if you are directing to the roleplays where people possess superpowers..

JacopeX
That reply of yours made me do some research, this is what I found:

Matthew 13:38-39; I Peter 5:8; Revelation 9:11; 12:9-10 states following:

That is what I found. Hopefully, you found it as interesting as I did smile As you can see, in the RP logic, Lucifer is the morning star aswel as Satan as the accuser and/or adversary.

Kaldorei
Depends on what way you look at it.. A lot of roleplayers get frustrated if you physicaly hit their character in a fight.. Most of them prefere that you halt your post just before their character gets hit, and let them judge the damages.. If it is a good roleplayer, he will make the best out of it, maintaining balance.. If it is a godmode player, he probably will never let you hit him, and people like that I think you should just close one eye at and kill the sucker.. big grin

"She made an attempt to hit him at the back of his legs" is better than what you wrote, in most scenarios, as I repeat what I just said.. They prefere to have time to act, even though what you did would be physicaly possible in real life.. This is not real life (Man, I wish) roll eyes (sarcastic) Especially not if you are directing to the roleplays where people possess superpowers..

eek! Thanks a lot big grin I will take this information into my mind and treat it with care.

As you can see, in the RP logic, Lucifer is the morning star aswel as Satan as the accuser and/or adversary.

The two of them are one, according to the information I have found confused Of course, in a roleplay you can make the one into two smile

Blaxican
works on me,
john felt the pain of the longsword hit him, but he had felt far worse..

laughing

MadMel
big grin..

Vathu
As you can see, in the RP logic, Lucifer is the morning star aswel as Satan as the accuser and/or adversary.

HAH!

Lucifer Morningstar was indeed a fallen. He was the right hand of God. But he was the one whom stated the war in Heaven. He was cast down and damned into the fiery pits of the molten core, along with his followers who turned into demonic opposites of what they originally were. And Satan who started the war, was their leader. They gave men free will. God didn't intend to **** up.. =\

Anywho. They are the same person. But if you want to upset every Christian in the universe and thensome. Go ahead and split the two. xDDD

Blaxican
I'm a christian and I don't really care... erm

Vathu
Well.. If you were devout and other stuff.. You might.. But for now. It upsets alot of christians. Specially the name devil. It makes every older black woman gasp. And then scold your ass.

Kaldorei
You are wrong. The majority of the modern christianity start to specualte about the one being two. Most bible search you make trough the web will lead to the result that the one is two (In modern christianity) I can not see any reason why a christian should be offended smile

Blaxican
I'd also liek to note that at least in my Christian Religion Satan was not "special" in any way. He was just an average angel who was thrown out of heaven for acting a dumbass.

Kaldorei
True too. Many christians make no biggie of it. He is not worth the credit big grin

Darth Extecute
This is a thread to help roleplayers out, not debate religions.. Please keep that in mind, people..

Kaldorei
This is a thread to help roleplayers out, not debate religions.. Please keep that in mind, people..

Right. I am sorry about that, DE. I will keep on track in the future embarrasment

Great thread, I must say.
I have a question, when it comes to roleplaying and I hope someone can help me with that big grin

Too often, do I use -She said- -She said- -She said- -She said- -She said- after a dialogue of my own . I would like some hints of how I can vary that habit shifty Nasty habit and I am sure someone has something to say about it big grin

Like right now. I found this thread, floating around at KMC big grin Have a look at this.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=442947&from=thread&pagenumber=1#post8454971

Feels wierd quoting myself confused

Darth Extecute
That's a great link, Kaldorei.. Could be really helpfull..

Kaldorei
Could? It is extremely helpfull big grin To me, anyway yes

JacopeX
HAH!

Lucifer Morningstar was indeed a fallen. He was the right hand of God. But he was the one whom stated the war in Heaven. He was cast down and damned into the fiery pits of the molten core, along with his followers who turned into demonic opposites of what they originally were. And Satan who started the war, was their leader. They gave men free will. God didn't intend to **** up.. =\

Anywho. They are the same person. But if you want to upset every Christian in the universe and thensome. Go ahead and split the two. xDDD Well, somehow he managed to and I dont feel like explaining it all again....(Explained in the previous RP's

You see, its only an RP. that is why I was not as serious as I am with my other characters with Satan and Lucifer. Why the hell does it matter to have them both as two different demons? Its not like im putting a tutu and make Satan a homosexual. I would never change a real character like that ever. But I do not see it as a big deal like you are. I dont think no one is going crazy. I just thought my whole entire life that they were two different demons. and if any christian gets amd at me, I would be happy to debate with he/she on that.

Right. I am sorry about that, DE. I will keep on track in the future embarrasment

Like right now. I found this thread, floating around at KMC big grin Have a look at this.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=442947&from=thread&pagenumber=1#post8454971

Feels wierd quoting myself confused Lets give special thanks to Vinny V. big grin

Kaldorei
I guess Vathu likes to express his knowledge in a 'I am right, you are wrong' kind of way smile

Yes, that was a great discovery by Vinny big grin

Darth Extecute
*Peaceful bump*

Wild-Cherry
Ush should Sticky this ermm

Darth Extecute
I think so too.. This is worthy of a sticky.. smile

Kaldorei
Originally posted by Wild-Cherry
Ush should Sticky this ermm

Oh yes, most certainly big grin

Kaldorei
I am in the mood for a............

BUMP! eek!

happy

Wild-Cherry
omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

tongue_ss

BUMP

Ordained
You know, I just read through this, Darth, and this is reall some good info. It's more than likely that this has been said before, but a lot of people could really use this to become better.

The ones who don't use spellcheck; the ones who don't use correct grammer; even the ones who did all of that but still can't get it right. You did a real justice by posting this. Keep up the good work thumbsup

Marie-Lee
I know. This is some great information happy

A Dose Of Vraya
Originally posted by the-unforgiven
Tactics to Enlongate your Posts

There are four simple ways to lengthen your post, all of which are simple.
1. Banter
Lots of talking does lengthen a post, especially if you put spaces between phrases like so:
I probably wrote:
"Hello good sir," said Sacrial

"Hello ... elf," said the gaurd.

2. Physical Description
Physical descriptions of your newly entering character, new rooms, and newly entering NPCs help to lengthen a post if it is long enough. You can go through great lengths of description. Like this post fragment I have here.

"All around the room, weapons were hung on the walls and laid into crates on display. There was a counter near the center of the room, and behind it stood a heavyset human eating a piece of bread like an animal. Upon the arrival of the three heros, he stopped eating and swallowed all that was in his mouth."

3. Inner Thoughts
You are not omniscient, however, you do control each and every action and thought of your character (obviously). Somethings you want people to know what you are plotting for the thread ahead, or, if you have a personal opinion of someone, you can show your true feelings, good or bad, without the person knowing. This is a good example inner feelings being held back (relating to the physical description above).

"What a pig this human is! Uhg. Just looking at his face covered in crums and some spittle makes me uneasy. Of all the blacksmiths in this land, I had to run into this one. Oh well, best not seem discrimanent, thought the elf."

4. Vocabulary
By using a more advanced vocabulary (and hopefully spelling it right), you can lengthen your post further (and hopefully look smarter).

For example, saying that the mans manerisms were extremely odd, even for a gnome, you could say he was an eccentric gnome with grotesque mannerisms. uh-huh...so...where should I put my character sheet with this one. confused
j/k

Marie-Lee
laughing out loud

Darth Extecute
Originally posted by Ordained
You know, I just read through this, Darth, and this is reall some good info. It's more than likely that this has been said before, but a lot of people could really use this to become better.

The ones who don't use spellcheck; the ones who don't use correct grammer; even the ones who did all of that but still can't get it right. You did a real justice by posting this. Keep up the good work thumbsup

Thank you.. Feels good to hear/read that..

Darth Extecute
Bump shifty

MadMel
*wakes up* er um..yea! go mario!!! big grin
wait...wrong thread sad

Darth Extecute
I read back and checked that RPer of the Year thread..

Since when did RP go from art, to competition and how is this competition judged? What the f**k?

KMC goes by votes.. The majority of the votes were probably one friend to another..

Next time, I suggest bringing a neutral sole judge in, or even better... A jury..

Votes often lie..

MadMel
laughing out loud
dont worry too much mate..only happens once a year

Darth Extecute
Thank God..

Just you wait.. Soon you'll have RPer of the week and month, too no expression

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>