Pis/cis

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CorderaMitchell
What is it, people seem to have many views.

If a character background states that a character is only capable of so much, but then they PASS their expectation, and contradict them at times, should we accept it?

I'm sure we know some of the infamous characters (wolverine, bats, etc.) who are RIDDEN with it.

Should we accept what they do if it fluctuates so much, and we know it has a different motive. (popularity, etc.)

What do you guys think?

willRules
well stats are constantly changing but never manage to keep up with some P.I.S that is displayed therefore I judge characters by their latest stats................

CorderaMitchell
I agree with alot of this, simply because some characters bring more to the table ( like namor), but they aren't as popular, so they don't get away with as much.

Tis the truth...

Lord-of-Dreams
Well, guys like logan get CIS debates from people who completely forget the other half of the story (PIS) or viseversa, depending. It's become a tool, and, along with character fluxuation, is a deadly stupid, yet sticky thing.

EsteemedLeader
indeed, like batmyth being punched by darkseid and smashing through concrete walls. i think bats could survive (survive, as in need to spend time in a hospital afterwards) if hes wearing body armor and darkseid isnt putting all he has into it. but if darkseid punched him hard enough to smash through a wall, bats is dead. do you know how much force is required to make a human body go through walls? more than bats can survive, im afraid...and thats coming from the mind of a batman fan...

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by Lord-of-Dreams
Well, guys like logan get CIS debates from people who completely forget the other half of the story (PIS) or viseversa, depending. It's become a tool, and, along with character fluxuation, is a deadly stupid, yet sticky thing. I agree, people will usually say things like "he knocked down xxx", but ignore the parts with him getting smacked around japan.

CIS, however is included in debates, logan doesn't really have any CIS, except for the fact that he fights with little restraint, though some people make him out as batman.

Originally posted by EsteemedLeader
indeed, like batmyth being punched by darkseid and smashing through concrete walls. i think bats could survive (survive, as in need to spend time in a hospital afterwards) if hes wearing body armor and darkseid isnt putting all he has into it. but if darkseid punched him hard enough to smash through a wall, bats is dead. do you know how much force is required to make a human body go through walls? more than bats can survive, im afraid...and thats coming from the mind of a batman fan...

Yes thats quite ridiculous also, but people put tells of him taking hits from an angry superman.

The deal is that batman and logan are big walking plot devices. Like batman and his tool belt, can you classify a limit? No, so its used to every writers expectation, and fluctuates, just like the healing factor.

So in debates, you get people who use the best of what he does in full ignorance, and expect you to buy it like candy at a half-off sale.

Also guys like strange and doom can be big PD characters, (plot device)

Hulking Hurler

Juntai
Originally posted by EsteemedLeader
indeed, like batmyth being punched by darkseid and smashing through concrete walls. i think bats could survive (survive, as in need to spend time in a hospital afterwards) if hes wearing body armor and darkseid isnt putting all he has into it. but if darkseid punched him hard enough to smash through a wall, bats is dead. do you know how much force is required to make a human body go through walls? more than bats can survive, im afraid...and thats coming from the mind of a batman fan... Motherbox and New God armor

Tha C-Master

Laminator_X
Power fluctuations are a fact of life with so many different writers and editors not bothering to coordinate their efforts. I try to find a typical power level to use as a reference for a character. They may be able to exceed this in a big dramatic moment, but what's their day-to-day best?

P.I.S. is when writers don't bother to think things through, or choose to pverlook the implications of something in furthurance of some other plot element. Even otherwise good writers can be guilty of this. Steve Englehart is a classic repeat offender. Professor Xavier having an ultratech floating chair but not being able to get some powered braces to walk with when he neds to is P.I.S.

C.I.S is when the Character looses his cool or misses something or whatever. My favorite example of this is when Hawkeye ditched his weapons and dried to duke it out hand to hand with U.S. Agent. Hawkeye was so enraged he just wasn't thinking clearly, and he paid the price for it. If he'd kept his cool, he's have eaten Walker for breakfast.

P.I.S. is a statistical outlier and I don't weight it very heavily. How prone a character is to C.I.S is something to consider.

Tha C-Master
Yes, I know what it is,but how more or less should it affect the debate?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.