Most Hilarious Parody in Comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Whirlysplatt
1) Grant Morrison and a group of artists decided to parody Liefeld's artistic styles and popularity with a Doom Patrol special called Doom Force. This both parodied Liefeld's art style as well as the general angst of X-Men comics.

2) Marshall Law any run. I think Fear and Loathing where the stupidity of the Comics Code A is explored through a parody of the 60's Legion of Superheroes. The one shots could also be possible choices in my opinion.
"Marshall Law Takes Manhattan" wherein he basically kills the Marvel Universe.
The other one may be called "The Kingdom Of the Blind" or it may not. Its basically Marshall Law kills Batman.

3) Another

Interesting resource on comics censorship, Marvel and DC don't always like being parodied and the info on the comics code A etc. It is interesting smile

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/Speech/arts/topic.aspx?topic=comix

long pig
I hate Liefeld.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by long pig
I hate Liefeld.
So do I but not as much as I detest Mcfarlane smile

long pig
Meh, MF is a ruthless cunning ******* of a business man, but at least he could draw.
Liefeld's characters looked liked they were always trying to push out a hot loaf.

Jim Lee is still the man.

Whirlysplatt
Meh, MF is a ruthless cunning ******* of a business man, but at least he could draw.
Liefeld's characters looked liked they were always trying to push out a hot loaf.

Jim Lee is still the man.

Mcfarlane could draw but I don't think imo he could write.

Jim Lee is great, Alex Ross is better

Austin Totleben and Perez are Art Gods

Morrison, Gaiman, Miller and Moore are the real deal imo

King KAM
Stan Lee rocks

Stay Whirly rock

long pig
Stan Lee was a bit of a thief.

Ask ditko.

eleveninches
When deadpool was dresssing up oas marvel girl. LOL

Whirlysplatt
Stan Lee was a bit of a thief.

Ask ditko.

Indeed he was smile

pr1983
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt

alex ross' is prettier, but seems like its standing still sometimes... lee's doesnt...

ScarletSpider
Alex Ross is in a different category. His stuff is great, but aside from certain, big projects like Kingdom Come, Marvels, various covers and stuff, he doesn't produce that much work, whereas Jim Lee churns out a comic every month just about. That's just the nature of Ross' art, it's astounding but it's in a different category.

Lee was a bit of a thief, but what writer hasn't drawn upon influences? My favorite description of him that I've heard is that he was "P.T. Barnum and William Shakespeare rolled into one." He was a showman and wily wordsmith of polyslyllabic alliteration. If Ditko has a gripe with Lee, well we must remember that they still collaborated together for years.

As to parody, Christopher Priest's Black Panther featured a few moments that seemed to poke fun at comic continuity. Panther, Falcon, Cage and Iron Fist (I think, not sure) are fighting someone in New York. Out of nowhere, Bill Foster--(Black) Goliath--appears in his old costume and 60 feet tall. "Hey guys!" "Hey, Bill, didn't know you were still active." "A bit." It just poked fun at comics reckless abandon to retire and renew characters with no explanation, and to band characters together by something so inconsequential as skin color; just because a few black heroes are fighting, Goliath, who hasn't been seen in about 25 years appears simply because he's black.

pr1983
yeah, true about ross...

Whirlysplatt
Totleben never produced much either like Ross it was often painted smile Takes time.

Black Goliath now that takes me back last I heard he had cancer and could not use his power. Nosalgic Whirly smile wistful

ScarletSpider
Yeah. Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) gave him a blood transfusion, her universal immune system cured him, but then she lost that aspect of her powers. But that was so long ago, she's lost and gained her powers back a few times since then, so I think she has the immune system back.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
Yeah. Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) gave him a blood transfusion, her universal immune system cured him, but then she lost that aspect of her powers. But that was so long ago, she's lost and gained her powers back a few times since then, so I think she has the immune system back.

I actually vaguely remember that also smile wistful

Spiderwoman has Pheromones now confused

ScarletSpider
She's always had them, but I think Brian Bendis only just found out about them, and decided to use them to cover up shitty writing.

Whirlysplatt
She's always had them, but I think Brian Bendis only just found out about them, and decided to use them to cover up shitty writing.

Has she? I don't remember them in her old seventies series, I might be wrong though.

Nataku8188
Parody? When Deadpool parodied issue 14 of Spider-man

Ed McGuiness is nasty as all hell (IMO) I just love that style.

The Udon crew do a grand job as well.

Jim lee? I need new shorts...

Salvador Larroca is also damn good.

The art in Kingdom Come, whoever did it.

Clayton Crain! CLAYTON CRAIN! :: Drools ::

Tron

Naw, he had already knew about them, he waited a few issues to actually use it though. And I don't find his writing that bad, it's pretty good most of the time. It could be worse, Chuck Austin could be back on Marvel's payroll.wink

eleveninches
popcultureshock.com used to have a regular parody comic

Zahit
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt

AGREED.

Except for George Perez.
He's become WAY too obsessed with compulsively
drawing every character ever made into one book.
This is one of the reasons JLA/Avengers sucked donkey.

David Mazzuchelli was also great.
He did Daredevil for a while and Batman Year One.

John Romita Jr.'s art is unique and dramatic.
Bryan Hitch is quickly becoming one of my favorites as well.
And let's not forget the great Barry Windsor-Smith.
And the sublime Frank Frazetta!!!!

keep the faith.

stay whirly.

Zahit
and as far as parodies go.....does anybody remember WHAT THE.....
a great Marvel parody and don't forget The Forbush Man.

Nataku8188
yeah, WHAT THE!?!? Ruled hardcore.

Sir Whirlysplat
So new members what do you think?

The Ion
Originally posted by Nataku8188
Parody? When Deadpool parodied issue 14 of Spider-man

Ed McGuiness is nasty as all hell (IMO) I just love that style.

The Udon crew do a grand job as well.

Jim lee? I need new shorts...

Salvador Larroca is also damn good.

The art in Kingdom Come, whoever did it.

Clayton Crain! CLAYTON CRAIN! :: Drools ::
I agree about McGuiness. I know a lot of people don't like his cartoonish/video game style but I think his characters look so slick. His Superman is intimidating in the exact same way I imagine he would be.

Frank Quitely has improved a lot. Compare his earlier work to All Star Superman and its a day and night difference.

Bryan Hitch is amazing. I wish he would go back to drawing JLA. If they ever do an All Star JLA, I hope it's Grant Morrison and Bryan Hitch.

Ethan Van Sciver was born to draw Green Lantern and other energy based heros.

Adam Hughes renders the best women in the industry, bar none.

SnakeEyes
I loathe Ed McGuiness as an artist. I can't stand his work.

The Ion
Al Rio is another of my faves. He isn't on a book so a lot of people may not know him.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4729/alrio1205spideybc6ic.th.jpg http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1503/alrio1205supesbatsww6sm.th.jpg http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/465/alriobenefitjla4hl.th.jpg http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/1710/alriomay05zatanna6vy.th.jpg http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1587/alriophoenix9mi.th.jpg

roughrider
Originally posted by Nataku8188
yeah, WHAT THE!?!? Ruled hardcore.

WHAT THE?! was awesome. Crossover confrontation, one after another. Right after Punisher met Wolverine for the first time, the parody followed a month later; nose to nose yelling names at each other like "Moron!""Cheap Date!""Lousy Tipper!" laughing out loud before being manipulated to fight by the Tenpin (re:Kingpin) Lotsa yuks. big grin

dman2008
Originally posted by The Ion
I agree about McGuiness. I know a lot of people don't like his cartoonish/video game style but I think his characters look so slick. His Superman is intimidating in the exact same way I imagine he would be.

Frank Quitely has improved a lot. Compare his earlier work to All Star Superman and its a day and night difference.

Bryan Hitch is amazing. I wish he would go back to drawing JLA. If they ever do an All Star JLA, I hope it's Grant Morrison and Bryan Hitch.

Ethan Van Sciver was born to draw Green Lantern and other energy based heros.

Adam Hughes renders the best women in the industry, bar none.

I think Terry Dodson is equal to Adam Huges in that respect.

ScarletSpider
I have to plug Joe Bennett here, I love his stuff, clean, detailed and great. He's quick too, doing Captain America and the Falcon along with Hawkman, then going DC exclusive and doing Hawkman and Birds of Prey. He's working on 52 now, and is one of those artists I'll actually follow. Had no intention of picking up 52, but he's on it, so I'll give it a try.

Etrigan
The best artists:

Jim Lee
Alex Ross
Brian Bolland
Todd McFarlane
Kevin O'Neill
Dave Gibbons
John Romita Jr

Best writers:

Frank Miller
Jeph Loeb
Alan Moore
Grant Morrisson

thesilverspider
JMS's work on supreme power was the shit hope it picks up again in the new Squadron supreme.

Geoff johns is the man and Grant morrison(main reason's why I got to pick up 52)

Paul jenkins's sentry is very good too..........droolio

who?-kid
A great parody (of both DC and Marvel) AND a great storyline is Top Ten. It's brilliant.

You can search for the countless cameos of DC and Marvel characters for hours in the Top Ten comics. Recently I discovered dr. Strange, Batman, Annihilus, Loki, Martian Manhunter, Galactus,Nightmare, the Star Trek crew, Asterix, Marv the Martian, Hercules, Falcon, Northstar, Star Sapphire, even Oscar Wilde...

Other stuff you can find, are e.g. V for Vendetta, Little Orhpan Annie, Green Hornet

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by The Ion
Al Rio is another of my faves. He isn't on a book so a lot of people may not know him.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4729/alrio1205spideybc6ic.th.jpg http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1503/alrio1205supesbatsww6sm.th.jpg http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/465/alriobenefitjla4hl.th.jpg http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/1710/alriomay05zatanna6vy.th.jpg http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1587/alriophoenix9mi.th.jpg

Yeah, that art is pretty awesome. He should start doing a series.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.