Do you think there are things which are unexplainable by the use of language?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Atlantis001

Bardock42
There'S a great poem by Michael Ende (the guy who wrote The Neverending Story) aboot Realists and trying to explain reality....he says it is impossible to Write aboot reality because it is a way to big concept to grasp.....

Now, yes I believe there are things that cannot explained with language especially since there are things we can't understand...wec cannot explain something we can'*t know, although except for mathematical problems I think Language can be extended to explain most things (although we can't know if we explained them right stick out tongue )

Anyways...you have a strange ability to post threads aboot things I talked aboot with my father not too long ago.....

debbiejo
It's because Atlantis is in your brain....he's physic you know...Bardock.

Fire
trying to explain a color, and then I don't mean the physics behind it, I mean just the way you perceive it. I do not think one can actually describe a colour to the point where someone else knows entirely what you mean. Without showing it to him or her, and even with showing the other person could still see it only a tiny bit different.

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
It's because Atlantis is in your brain....he's physic you know...Bardock.

the word you were looking for was Psychic....not Physic......but almost.....

debbiejo
Wow Atlantis....you been doing some reading????

Bardock....well, you know what I mean... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Atlantis001

Atlantis001
Originally posted by Fire
trying to explain a color, and then I don't mean the physics behind it, I mean just the way you perceive it. I do not think one can actually describe a colour to the point where someone else knows entirely what you mean. Without showing it to him or her, and even with showing the other person could still see it only a tiny bit different.

Good example... like a sensation, or Matrix, it cannot be explained, you must see for youself

Bardock42
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Good example... like a sensation, or Matrix, it cannot be explained, you must see for youself
True, those things are just not explainable....we can call them something but we can't explain what it actually is.....

Shakyamunison
Ya, ah... ah... ah...

bardock
yeah i find myself having a hard time explaining things some times

Fire
what about Love?

debbiejo
Originally posted by Fire
what about Love?

Love is the most difficult to explain...You can't even explain it with words...It's the most wonderful feeling, yet invisible to see...But just as real....Some try to use words, but can never find them...others use metaphors...Some are afraid to say at all.....How can you explain something that is so incredible....I don't think you can....It just happens....usually when your not looking........It's a place only in your Dreams...........

Atlantis001
Love too... thats because I like poems they are a way to express somethings like feelings, and sensations. I cannot say logically what love is in a set of senteces, but art can express those feelings in a better way.

debbiejo
Love too... thats because I like poems they are a way to express somethings like feelings, and sensations. I cannot say logically what love is in a set of senteces, but art can express those feelings in a better way.

Also metaphors.....Here's one for you...

Walking through a beautiful forest as I usually do, I came upon a swirling Vortex....Quite stunning...I sat and watched for quite awhile...I saw it interesting...but just watched...I became curious and then stuck my hand inside....pulled it out...quite nice, I thought...the next day...I stuck in my leg....even more wonderful was the feeling....Day after day I came and watched...but the vortex changed into many different radiant colors....glistening....How mesmerized I was....then...I started hearing beautiful sounds coming from it...like music....How brilliant it was....Suddenly I started feeling a strange pull from it...I stood next to a tree and knew I should hang on to it....but what I really wanted to do was jump into it.....

TA DA.....How's that.

Atlantis001
very abstract.... is that about love !?

debbiejo
very abstract.... is that about love !?

Yup.....It's about attraction...and the pull and allure of it all. And I am very abstract anyway... big grin

Storm
There are indeed concepts that we all have an accepted understanding of, but the moment you try to define them in any way, the meaning is hard to capture.

Hydrono
The essence of certain things can't be explained on a piece of paper. Think about emotions, we can explain what chemicals in our brain create things like happiness, but can we locate the feeling itself?

Mindship
Yes, but I can't explain why.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Mindship

Nice one

Language is made only to express certain concepts. It is in theory possible to construct a language that can express things that cannot be expressed with any language on Earth. Unfortunately such a language would be impractical in the real world.

So I guess my answer is that anything can be expressed though language just not the ones we use.

Shakyamunison

I was thinking about saying something like that, but I didn't want to come across as a smart ass. wink Good job. jk

Atlantis001

Mindship
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I was thinking about saying something like that, but I didn't want to come across as a smart ass. Language is but driftwood upon which we cling in the deep, open ocean of reality. dance

Shakyamunison
Language is but driftwood upon which we cling in the deep, open ocean of reality. dance

You are so... I'm lost for words. stick out tongue laughing

debbiejo

Atlantis001
Originally posted by debbiejo
You need girlfriend...... roll eyes (sarcastic)

j/k

But fortunately we have telepathy.......No more problem here.

Well... telepathy is useful when things cannot be expressed by language !

debbiejo
Maybe if we used all of our brain then we would be able to express some inexpressible concepts with language.

Storm
We use our entire brain.

Mindship
Originally posted by Storm
We use our entire brain.

eek!

Laurie
Of course there are things that are unexplainable! Try, for example, explaining, Oh I dunno... the color pink to someone who is blind; Describe God, assuming one believes in him/her; Paint a picture of gravity... ok, ok, that's sublimely ridiculous, but one gets the picture.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Laurie
Of course there are things that are unexplainable! Try, for example, explaining, Oh I dunno... the color pink to someone who is blind; Describe God, assuming one believes in him/her.

Technically those are limitations of the speaker or listener not of language itself.

Hydrono
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Technically those are limitations of the speaker or listener not of language itself.

True

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.