Into the fuel chamber?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jango_Fett_A
I was just on starwars.com, near the top of the page, there is a picture of Obi Wan staring down a super battle droid in the fuel tank on grevious's ship and it reads: "Into the fuel chamber" . I'm not a hyperspace member, so i can't see the whole file. Just wondering if anyone (Hyperspace or not) has seen this, i'm pretty sure it's a deleated scene. Any thoughts?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/Santis/fuelchamber1.jpg

Jango_Fett_A
does anyone have any idea?

Tusken Raider
A deleted scene, maybe?

Sesse
Wasn't there supposed to be a room filling with water somewhere in that movie too?

Sith Master X
Yeah, it's gotta be one of the deleted scenes.

Jedi Priestess
Its actually from the new set diary posted yesterday at the OS.

Into the Fuel Chamber
August 24, 2005

George Lucas has sometimes likened his filmmaking approach to cooking. A visual gourmand, he likes to keep a number of pots on the elements, sampling from some and sprinkling ingredients as needed. His approach favors having a countertop full of potential ingredients, improvising a recipe as he goes along.

To fill out that countertop, he often overstocks -- he'll have components that he'll leave out of the final concoction. To fans fascinated by alternate iterations of their favorite films, these are the tantalizing abandoned concepts or deleted scenes that eventually find their way onto DVD.

The previous Set Diary recounted the differences found in the shooting script description of the space battle. Continuing where that left off, the shooting script next describes a major set piece aboard General Grievous' cruiser. The scene went by the wayside, but Hyperspace members saw webcam coverage of shooting in a water tank on Stage Two in Sydney two years ago, in August 2003. They knew something was missing from the final movie when our Jedi heroes remained relatively dry during their search for Palpatine.

Instead of cutting to the bridge to introduce General Grievous, the script followed the intrepid Jedi as they worked their way through the cruiser. The elevator antics haven't happened yet. In scene 6, the Jedi encounter Shaak Ti, sitting meditatively on the grimy floor of a wide hallway. There are tears in her eyes as she apologizes to Kenobi for her failure. Six destroyer droids tumble into the hallway, parting to reveal General Grievous and his bodyguard droids. Here was his original scripted introduction:

GENERAL GRIEVOUS: Anakin Skywalker, the "hero with no fear." We've been waiting for you. Frankly, I was expecting someone with your reputation to be a bit... older.

ANAKIN: General Grievous, "Supreme Commander of the Droid Armies," you're shorter than I expected...

GENERAL GRIEVOUS: I'm surprised Skywalker, for someone with so much intelligence... you walked right into my hands.

ANAKIN: Quiet frankly, I was hoping for more.

OBI-WAN (quietly): Anakin, we've got a job to do here, don't upset him.

GENERAL GRIEVOUS: Ah, yes, and General Kenobi, "the negotiator," who doesn't know the meaning of the word intelligence. Your presence, along with Chancellor Palpatine's, has graciously given me more hostages than I could have hoped for.

This introduction was reworked into the cruiser's bridge and shot during pickups (on September 2, 2004 to be precise) since it couldn't be lifted directly from footage shot in Sydney -- the Jedi have their cloaks on in this version of events. In the final edit, their face-to-face was Grievous was transplanted to after their duel with Dooku, so Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor had their scenes reshot without their cloaks against bluescreen.

With his new hostages, Grievous has little need of Shaak Ti. In a cold-blooded display, the droid general stabs her through the heart, killing the beautiful Jedi. Obi-Wan and Anakin stand at rigid attention as the scene has suddenly become much colder and grim. They surreptitiously pass hand signals between them, like a major league pitcher and back-catcher, trying to decide their next move.

Agreeing upon their tactics, they use their blades to cut a circular hole in the floor. The hole was digital, but the sparks were achieved practically with a circle of squibs laid out on the floor by the Special Effects Department. The Jedi disappear below decks before the droids can do anything. Grievous orders his droids to hold fire because he knows what lies beneath.

The Jedi plunge into a filling fuel chamber. "The slightest charge from our 'sabers will send this ship into oblivion," observes Obi-Wan. "That's why they've stopped shooting." (When shot, the line was altered slightly and Anakin was given half of it).

The threats begin to pile on. Six super battle droids wade into the fuel pool. A sparking, arcing set of dischargers mounted atop the power generators represents the upper limit the fuel can reach before the whole room explodes. Anakin and Obi-Wan swim through the fuel, sparring with remarkably buoyant battle droids. Skywalker finds an escape vent, and the Jedi crawl through, into a network of pipes.

The generator room was shot in the water tank of Stage Two on August 14 and 15th, 2003, with the vent shaft scenes shot on August 15th. Calling the water something exotic like "starship fuels" helps the suspension of disbelief in one regard -- the crawl through the vent shafts manages to completely dry the soaked Jedi.

Kenobi and Skywalker emerge into a corridor, slamming the vent shut behind them. Anakin seals the hatch shut with his lightsaber. This hallway scene was shot on the first day of principal photography, June 30, 2003. An image of it was revealed in "Jedi Dispenser," one of the Before the Helmets published on Hyperspace).

Skywalker then teases his former master on the number of life-saving scenarios each of the Jedi has weathered. Questioning Skywalker's math, Obi-Wan says, "No! Twenty-eight to thirty-nine. That mess on Cato Niemoidia doesn't count." As fans can recall, a variation of this line was moved instead to the Senate landing platform scene.

As they make their way down the corridor, some destroyer droids come rolling behind them, leaving us back in familiar territory in a scene that survived to the final edit.

For further reading on this subject, see how it was originally reported here: Set Diary: Wesa Goin' Underwater, Okiday?

Ogami Itto
i was gonna post that jedi preistess but i thought i would get into trouble

Jango_Fett_A
well, that's an action packed scene! I hope it's in the movie, i really do!

McCusto
It will probably be a deleted scene.

Sir Mist
Originally posted by Jango_Fett_A
well, that's an action packed scene! I hope it's in the movie, i really do!

It cant be in the movie unless they remove the dialogue, the lines are already spoken in the other scene when Anakin and Obiwan are brought to Grievous, this would have to be an alternate scene, not a deleted scene..

BAILY
It is a deleted scene.. dont you guys do your homework?? I know it is summer and all.. lol..

Darth Plagueis
If you read the article that JP posted, you will see that the movie was re-thought and reshot to where the scene would not fit edited back into the movie....but will no doubt be a very cool deleted scene...hopefully with the Shaak Ti shot in there....

pika122689
If they do put this as an deleted scene, it looks like it'll still be in the animatic form.

Jango_Fett_A
Originally posted by BAILY
It is a deleted scene.. dont you guys do your homework?? I know it is summer and all.. lol.. Homework??? In on summer vacation??? I don't think so! Now, i'm a bit confuzed, is this a deleated scene or an alternate scene? The fuel bay scene doesn't really have any dialouge, so it could be deleated. I hope it's on the DVD big grin Anyone know about any other deleated or alternate scenes? If so, share them cool

BAILY
Well.. it is an alternate/deleted scene... they changed it and deleted it... and there is also... Dagobah landing with Yoda... um.... One of Shaak Ti's death scenes... I think the temple slaughter one... i cant remember the rest...

Darth Plagueis
*cough*
Qui Gon talking to Yoda...
*cough**cough*

BAILY
Oh yeah.. how did I forget that one!!

Stunrun
just looking at that pic brings me back to the pre ROTS excitementcrybaby

BAILY
I cant help but think how i would have enjoyed ROTS if I hadnt spoiled myself silly..

Well I love spoiling myself... when I have a baby.. i will keep that one a surprise til birth.. whether it is a girl or a boy...

Darth Plagueis
I cant help but think how i would have enjoyed ROTS if I hadnt spoiled myself silly..

Well I love spoiling myself... when I have a baby.. i will keep that one a surprise til birth.. whether it is a girl or a boy... Hmm...I REALLY felt that way for awhile......even bootlegs didnt seem to drive me past 5 or 6 viewings....despite the fact that I tout the movie as Excellent whenever it comes up in conversation.

Guess I really cannot be 11 forever...

sigh

Stunrun

Well I love spoiling myself... when I have a baby.. i will keep that one a surprise til birth.. whether it is a girl or a boy...

what a spoiler that would beyes i hoping the same in about 10 years time lol, with my gfstick out tongue

BAILY
I need a gf first.... lol.. the Bailster has been flying solo for too long now.. i am gonna get back on the field come September when I move back to Ottawa...

Stunrun
I need a gf first.... lol.. the Bailster has been flying solo for too long now.. i am gonna get back on the field come September when I move back to Ottawa...

u mean u havent got a gf?? ive seen ur pics, ur a good looking guy thumb up in a NON gay way ofcoarse laughing

mauler
Very nice
Thanks Jedi Priestess wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.