Who is the most overrated comic book character in all of comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

the Darkone
Who is the most overrated comic book character in all of comics?

colossus17
geeeee thats a hard one...now lets see we need someone that can only lift 850 lb and yet can take 100 class punches like they were nothing....uumm we need someone that simply cannot die...and heals from a droop of blood.even know thats.impossible.umm we need someone that has human strength but can slice and cut through anything...umm where can we find someone like that???????????

Creshosk
I know what alot of people are going to say, but it's just going to show a lack of understanding of the character.

Solidus Snake
nah man, it has to be gladiator. apparently he can shit and destroy a galaxy.

bardock
hahaha

wannabe
Originally posted by colossus17
geeeee thats a hard one...now lets see we need someone that can only lift 850 lb and yet can take 100 class punches like they were nothing....uumm we need someone that simply cannot die...and heals from a droop of blood.even know thats.impossible.umm we need someone that has human strength but can slice and cut through anything...umm where can we find someone like that???????????
And we need someone who is said to be a master of all martial arts but gets sliced up, nailed, punched down, shot and smashed like a crash test dummy in fights where others simply dodge, parry, use acrobatics or ACTUAL FIGHTING SKILLS to avoid getting hurt.
We need someone who uses evasive maneuvers only AFTER characters like Nightcrawler and Beast, the two most agile mutants of Marvel, were NOT able do evade...and, of course, succeeds!
Hmmm...difficult!!!

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Creshosk
I know what alot of people are going to say, but it's just going to show a lack of understanding of the character.

Who? confused

Creshosk
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
Who? confused Just watch and see. smile

wannabe
Who? confused
geeeee thats a hard one...now lets see...
we need someone who can only lift 850 lb and yet can take 100 class punches like they were nothing...
we need someone who simply cannot die...and heals from a droop of blood.even though thats impossible.
umm we need someone who has human strength but can slice and cut through anything...
and we need someone who is said to be a master of all martial arts but gets sliced up, nailed, punched down, shot and smashed like a crash test dummy in fights where others simply dodge, parry, use acrobatics or ACTUAL FIGHTING SKILLS to avoid getting hurt...
we need someone who uses evasive maneuvers only AFTER characters like Nightcrawler and Beast, the two most agile mutants of Marvel, were NOT able do evade...and, of course, succeeds!

Hmmm...difficult!!!

bardock
Who? confused

mike jones

wannabe
We have a winner!!! laughing

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by bardock
mike jones

Bardock you have a new sig its better smile

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by bardock
mike jones

laughing out loud

CorderaMitchell
I know what alot of people are going to say, but it's just going to show a lack of understanding of the character. No, it shows a lack of bias towards the character.

90% of objective readers agree, overrated is overrated, so I guess it is a lack of understanding on those who don't think he's overrated.

CorderaMitchell
Originally posted by colossus17
geeeee thats a hard one...now lets see we need someone that can only lift 850 lb and yet can take 100 class punches like they were nothing....uumm we need someone that simply cannot die...and heals from a droop of blood.even know thats.impossible.umm we need someone that has human strength but can slice and cut through anything...umm where can we find someone like that??????????? He stabs the ocean floor and kills it!!!

Creshosk
What's funny if you think about it, the person who's picked the most obviously wouldn't be overrated, since everyone is rating him as being lower than outset expectation.

So the characters that would really be overrated would be the character that's most popular both here and in the real world.

How can anyone be overrated if the majority thinks they suck?

CorderaMitchell
What's funny if you think about it, the person who's picked the most obviously wouldn't be overrated, since everyone is rating him as being lower than outset expectation.

So the characters that would really be overrated would be the character that's most popular both here and in the real world.

How can anyone be overrated if the majority thinks they suck?

NOt sucked, overrated.

The majority thinks he is overrated, that doesn't equal sucking.

Just not as impressive as some would think.

I like how you are reading my posts...

olympian
Every character overrated beyond what he can or should do, its bad.

> everyone looks and..: " yeah what about HERculisss! " <

Yeah him too. Every single one.

But if i had to pick one....Wolverine.

CorderaMitchell
Originally posted by Solidus Snake
nah man, it has to be gladiator. apparently he can shit and destroy a galaxy. He's not popular enough to be overrated.

Things that are overrated are usually things you hear about over and over again, or are overexposed.

CorderaMitchell
Originally posted by olympian
Every character overrated beyond what he can or should do, its bad.

> everyone looks and..: " yeah what about HERculisss! " <

Yeah him too. Every single one.

But if i had to pick one....Wolverine. What, if you say that it means you don't read enough wolverine comics.... stick out tongue

olympian
How blind i am.

Im in fact underrating him eh wink

Creshosk
How blind i am.

Im in fact underrating him eh wink Underrating who?

Wolverine?

Meh, I've noticed alot of animosity towards him on the boards, and alot of people don't seem to know what he's fully capable of . . . But I would say that the hatred here and the love in the real world pretty much balance each other out.

olympian
Things that he should be capable of, i dont underrate him.

But when hes shown to be able to stab - a Thanos using the IG -, its goes off charts. Whats next, he can stab the Living Tribunal too?

CorderaMitchell
Underrating who?

Wolverine?

Meh, I've noticed alot of animosity towards him on the boards, and alot of people don't seem to know what he's fully capable of . . . But I would say that the hatred here and the love in the real world pretty much balance each other out. Please, alot of people don't know what he SHOULDN'T be capable of, thats more of what it is.
You aren't really helping your credibilty.

Wolverine is a normal hero, he is a great character, but in an objective debate, where we lay them side by side, ability by ability...

go check wolverine vs metallo, carnage, godzilla, 5 elder preds.

Its insane.

Creshosk
Things that he should be capable i never underrate him.

But when hes shown to be able to stab Thanos with ig. Its going off charts. Whats next, he can stab the Living Tribunal too? Everyone has bouts of accomplishments they shouldn't do.

Stabbing thanos, standing up to(not being moved by) a Namor punch, yeah these are things that were done for the sake of the plot.

But everyone does things like this. . . Of course the higher up on the scale a person is the more they should be allowed to fluctuate.

However Wolverine probably doesn't have the most feats that should be outside of his described abilities. . .

CorderaMitchell
Everyone has bouts of accomplishments they shouldn't do.

Stabbing thanos, standing up to(not being moved by) a Namor punch, yeah these are things that were done for the sake of the plot.

But everyone does things like this. . . Of course the higher up on the scale a person is the more they should be allowed to fluctuate.

However Wolverine probably doesn't have the most feats that should be outside of his described abilities. . .

Ummm yes he does, the problem is :

800 lifting weight,

peak human speed and agility

super senses and fighting skill don't equate to fighting galactus.

wannabe
Underrating who?

Wolverine?

Meh, I've noticed alot of animosity towards him on the boards, and alot of people don't seem to know what he's fully capable of . . . But I would say that the hatred here and the love in the real world pretty much balance each other out.
The REAL sad thing about Wolverine is...he is an interesting, deep, colorful and capable character who would still feature these qualities WITHOUT stupid writers, thinking a character has to act over his abilities constantly to be considered cool by the readers!!!
In fact they exactly causing the opposite effect on me! mad

CorderaMitchell
Originally posted by wannabe
The REAL sad thing about Wolverine is...he is an interesting, deep, colorful and capable character who would still feature these qualities WITHOUT stupid writers, thinking a character has to act over his abilities constantly to be considered cool by the readers!!!
In fact they exactly causing the opposite effect on me! mad

agreed his best victories are when he didn't have the claws always out, or the super ultra healing, he used more skill to win...

But, sales counts, and marvel is in a writing slump trying to please fanboys.

Creshosk
Originally posted by wannabe
In fact they exactly causing the opposite effect on me! mad I know what you mean. My personal faveorite moments are not the fight scenes, though there are some that are funny or cool or whatever. . . I love when he's just hanging out though.

CorderaMitchell
I know what you mean. My personal faveorite moments are not the fight scenes, though there are some that are funny or cool or whatever. . . I love when he's just hanging out though. agreed

King KAM
Spiderman..... whistle

pr1983
Wolverine...

Whirlysplatt
Apocalypse or the High Evolutionary

CorderaMitchell
Originally posted by King KAM
Spiderman..... whistle oh yea, let me tell you.

Him, thing, and namor are sooo overrated...

CorderaMitchell
Originally posted by pr1983
Wolverine... "You just don't understand wolverien, he's capable of soo much". rolling on floor laughing

King KAM
The reason why people are in love wiht Wolverine is because he must have some of the best character writing and development ever. He isnt extradinary in anything but h2h, but he is still probably everyones favorite, why??? Because the people that write his Storylines write their ASSES off.... and hey i aint mad at him... dont hate the player hate the game...

WORD!

CorderaMitchell
The reason why people are in love wiht Wolverine is because he must have some of the best character writing and development ever. He isnt extradinary in anything but h2h, but he is still probably everyones favorite, why??? Because the people that write his Storylines write their ASSES off.... and hey i aint mad at him... dont hate the player hate the game...

WORD! Knock yourself out....

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=356360&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=2

King KAM
Who? confused

ghostbusters???

CorderaMitchell
ghostbusters??? http://www.joinjoe.de/Gallery/Wallpapers/wmovies2/images/Ghostbusters%2002.jpg

Who ya gonna call?

Laminator_X
Re Wolvie: When he's written overpowered it's stupid and boring. The way he roughed up Namor in New Invaders made me want to put the book down. I didn't so much mind him stabbing Thanos in that it was totally ineffective, although it shows the general misunderstanding of how much force Logan should be able to put behind his claws. There unbreakable and quite sharp, but he still needs enough force to break an object's surface tension, which for Thanos, the Hulk, or other such creatures is far more than he should really be able to exert. Really, anything that can stop an AP rifle round ought to be claw-proof unless there's a super-strong arm behind it.

Bone-claw feral Logan was profoundly bad. Dark Pheonix saga through the Austrailia period was perfect.

For most overrated though, I'll take Professor X. Far all they yammer on about how powerful he is, he's hardly ever able to accomplish anything significant. There's always some plot device or another holding him back. I wouldn't mind that so much, since every story ending with "and then Charles mind controls the bad guy" would be lame, except that they're constantly hyping how big and powerful he is.

In both cases, less would be more.

CorderaMitchell
Originally posted by Laminator_X
Re Wolvie: When he's written overpowered it's stupid and boring. The way he roughed up Namor in New Invaders made me want to put the book down. I didn't so much mind him stabbing Thanos in that it was totally ineffective, although it shows the general misunderstanding of how much force Logan should be able to put behind his claws. There unbreakable and quite sharp, but he still needs enough force to break an object's surface tension, which for Thanos, the Hulk, or other such creatures is far more than he should really be able to exert. Really, anything that can stop an AP rifle round ought to be claw-proof unless there's a super-strong arm behind it.

Bone-claw feral Logan was profoundly bad. Dark Pheonix saga through the Austrailia period was perfect.

For most overrated though, I'll take Professor X. Far all they yammer on about how powerful he is, he's hardly ever able to accomplish anything significant. There's always some plot device or another holding him back. I wouldn't mind that so much, since every story ending with "and then Charles mind controls the bad guy" would be lame, except that they're constantly hyping how big and powerful he is.

In both cases, less would be more.

I agree, he shouldn't be able to pierce the hulk.

X is overrated, because he has a great power, but he never uses it, no comic sales for him in a book.

Laminator_X
Perhaps not overrated exactly, but overburdenned with contrivance. Despite being filthy rich, and having Forge and Tony Stark's cell-phone numbers he still cant get ahold of a set of powered leg braces to let him walk when he needs to. He's the posterboy for plot induced stupidity, to the point where I have a hard time taking him seriously.

CorderaMitchell
Originally posted by Laminator_X
Perhaps not overrated exactly, but overburdenned with contrivance. Despite being filthy rich, and having Forge and Tony Stark's cell-phone numbers he still cant get ahold of a set of powered leg braces to let him walk when he needs to. He's the posterboy for plot induced stupidity, to the point where I have a hard time taking him seriously.

Yea, the irony...

Like him being pushed down the stairs?

BstrdMan
I'd say Wolverine, really. Cool character, and all.. but on 3 different teams, plus extram comics, plus so much deus ex machina it's not even silly..

CorderaMitchell
Originally posted by BstrdMan
I'd say Wolverine, really. Cool character, and all.. but on 3 different teams, plus extram comics, plus so much deus ex machina it's not even silly..

Well the sad truth is that he's overexposed, because the comics will sell without his prescence, so you gotta take the good with the bad...

Creshosk
How many books is he currently in that are ongoing though?

King KAM
I think that Gladiator is OVERRATED everyone treats him like hes thr Fu**in' second comin of christ.Anyone who knows anything knows that hes no match for supes, yet people will argue their arses off. He loses to anyone with a decent amount if power, yet people still jock him because hes MARVEL.......

brainchild81
Superman. The above post is a good example of what I mean.

BstrdMan

CorderaMitchell
How many books is he currently in that are ongoing though? I know at one time there were 8 titles...

bardock

thanks

Dizzle
I think that Gladiator is OVERRATED everyone treats him like hes thr Fu**in' second comin of christ.Anyone who knows anything knows that hes no match for supes, yet people will argue their arses off. He loses to anyone with a decent amount if power, yet people still jock him because hes MARVEL.......

Gladiator has one of the worst, all encompassing excuses for low showings: his confidence. Plus he isn't realy a major character, and so is often used as a punching bag. When Marvel puts him in a good light? He beats Ego and Thor with enhanced speed. And he contains supernovas and flies around 100x lightspeed.

Superman is one of the unholy fanboy characters... Because so many people consider the fact that Gladiator can beat him at his own game ludicrous. FB Superman's powers include speed to the point of omnipresence, instant kills or KO's with his godly strength, heat vision in the trillions of degrees, and invulnerability to everything. Even kryptonite, when he concentrates on it.

The other 3 are, of course, FB Batman, FB Wolverine and FB Spiderman (joint emperors of the unholy regime) Storm, Hulk, and Thing are up there as well.

CorderaMitchell
Any xmen character is pure evil...

golem370
Batman,Superman and Deathstroke

Tron
Wrong forum.

Moving

Fanboy
Hulk is pretty over rated but seriously you gotta understand that alot of people have the potential to beat him or does not need it at all.

Fanboy
Wolverine and Spider-Man.

Richrf
Batman is pretty overated

CorderaMitchell
Wolverine and batman, sometimes hulk and supes...

Fanboy
Spider Man,Wolverine,Silver Surfer ,Thor.

Tha C-Master
Thor, nah, I'd take of him and spiderman, and add superman.

Dizzle
Originally posted by Fanboy
Spider Man,Wolverine,Silver Surfer ,Thor.

Surfer and Thor? You kidding me? Surfer has nothing but good showings and crappy showings... Written well, he IS the fine line between Earth bound and Cosmic.

I don't think I've EVER seen Thor massively overrated here...

Tha C-Master
Yep

Draco69
Wolverine obviously.

AND Captain America. When a thread between him and Ironman/Thor/etc. lasts for more than 1 page then OBVIOUSLY he's very overrated.

Tha C-Master
stupid street level Ma's are always overrated...

brainchild81
Originally posted by Fanboy
Spider Man,Wolverine,Silver Surfer ,Thor. laughingMaybe you should put "DC" in front of your username.

Most overrated
1. Supes(and lame)
2. Batman(Cool character, but people let that go to their heads)
3.Wolverine(Extremely cool character, but people let that go to their heads)Originally posted by Tha C-Master
stupid street level Ma's are always overrated... Yeah. Martial Artists are cool though.

Tha C-Master
b81, you should change your background to black your sig looks cool.

Oh and the cool Ma's also get to their heads, big grin

Pointinel
damn this shit's going to be so unanimous... it shouldnt be asked

we all know people will say wolverine... i can not only predict it, i can smell it cool

ok let's see why:

he defeated spidey more times than not...
he cuts the hulk
he survived a punch from namor
he stabbed the thing
he survived a nuke
he survived a full sentinel blast (destroyed his flesh)
he almost killed human torch
he stabbed magneto

and

he regenerated from a drop of blood

yep. those are probably the main reasons people will give.

but does he sell? YES. does he appeal to both comic readers and non-comic readers? yes. is he the most bankable character in the comic biz? without a doubt.

let's talk about his personality too. is he a good character? definitely. is he a good person? not really.

in fact in the last issue of his self-named ongoing title(#31), fury said he killed 1,800 people from jersey to japan searching for the boy who died. the boy that caused the EOTS arc. damn. that alone speaks volumes of the man's character.

hate it or love it, over-rated or not.....

LOGAN > YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by brainchild81
laughingMaybe you should put "DC" in front of your username.

Most overrated
1. Supes(and lame)
2. Batman(Cool character, but people let that go to their heads)
3.Wolverine(Extremely cool character, but people let that go to their heads) Yeah. Martial Artists are cool though.

people are still saying wolverine is UNDERRATED, and that he beats people, (which he should have no business beating)

abomination, spiderman, lobo, etc.

Fanboys are what make wolverine what he is and then complain about it, ironic no?

grey fox
The problems with .....

...Superman?
While Supes is the prototypical superhero, I don't see him as an interesting character. He's extremely powerful and is too much of a square-jawed boy scout for my liking. He does have a place in the DC Comics universe, but outside of a couple episodes of Justice League, I've never seen him written as an interesting character.

Also, his movies suck. I like Superman 3 because of the fight between evil Supes and Clark Kent, but that's it. Christopher Reeve made a great Superman, but the movies had some ridiculous twists in them that showed that the writers had worked themselves into some serious corners. Lois Lane dies, so he turns back time. Time travel is always lame (I'm looking in your direction, J.K. Rowling) unless it's the focus of the story. Other films gave him lame powers that came out of nowhere, like the kiss of amnesia and rebuilding the Great Wall of China vision.

...Batman?
I like the core concept of Batman. Put him in the hands of Alan Moore, Jeph Loeb, or hopefully Christopher Nolan (director of the upcoming Batman Begins film) and I love Batman. But he's usually written really poorly. Most of my dislike of the character can be summed up in Frank Miller's story The Dark Knight Returns. This alternate universe tale is considered a classic Batman story and serves as inspiration for many modern Bat-tales. At the end of DKR, the government calls in Superman to stop Batman's one-man crusade...

First problem: Thanks to some massive military technology and some Kryptonite, Batman beats Superman. This seems to have spawned the notion that Batman is unbeatable if he has time to prepare for a fight. No. That's dumb. Batman is mortal. His rogues gallery is mortal. I don't care how long he prepares; if he goes up against someone who can casually fly through a sun, he gets his ass owned 99 times out of 100.

Second problem: The narrative makes Batman out to be justified in his actions. No. Batman is a lunatic. Just because he lost his parents does not give him the right to run around at night and beat up criminals. The only reason that anyone should sympathize with that psycho is that it's a comic and he usually manages to direct his rage in a constructive manner. Even then, the question should linger as to whether or not Batman is actually a good guy. Not enough folks in the comics (or the audience) ask that question. -Charlie Martin ( http://www.uvm.edu/~chmartin/ )

These are the words from a comic book reader who knows the truth and doeasn't let hype rule his judgement.

pr1983
Originally posted by grey fox
The problems with .....

...Superman?
While Supes is the prototypical superhero, I don't see him as an interesting character. He's extremely powerful and is too much of a square-jawed boy scout for my liking. He does have a place in the DC Comics universe, but outside of a couple episodes of Justice League, I've never seen him written as an interesting character.

read the comics... if you can get past the obvious back slapping i think you'd really like it... for a time i hated him... i thought what most people do, but i gave the comics a chance... i didnt regret it...

The movies arent fair... and it was a generation ago... the public was different back then...

It wasnt that bad... stick out tongue

The OMAC series showed that imo...

Really good point... yes

Creshosk
Originally posted by pr1983
i gave the comics a chance... i didnt regret it...

Well you DO have a thing for misunderstood boyscouts. stick out tongue wink smile

broly112

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.