Protesting outside a Hospital?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WindDancer
Do you find it wrong for these people to do this?

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=\SpecialReports\archive\200508\SPE20050825a.html

Whatever side of politics you stand. Do you find this to be acceptable? Is your right to protest. No question about it. But isn't this a little too much? Would you say that there are other ways to get your message across?

Alpha Centauri
Stupidness.

Don't jeopardise those people's right to healthcare. It's not them you have beef with.

-AC

WindDancer
Here is something that I really don't understand AC. The article says "The anti-war demonstrators, who obtain their protest permits from the Washington, D.C., police department". Which is complete illogical. Why would the police dept issue permits to protestors so that they can stand outside a hospital and protest? Hospitals are consider to be silent areas. In some cities you could get penalized for disturbing the peace near a hospital.

Shakyamunison
The right to health is greater than the right to protest. Without health, you can not protest.

Lemonade Whiz
If I was one of the wounded, I would feel weird trying to recover from my injuries while listening to a bunch of war-hating ninnies protest the bejesus out of themselves.

I'd throw a crutch at them and tell them to get the hell away from the hospotal.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by WindDancer
Here is something that I really don't understand AC. The article says "The anti-war demonstrators, who obtain their protest permits from the Washington, D.C., police department". Which is complete illogical. Why would the police dept issue permits to protestors so that they can stand outside a hospital and protest? Hospitals are consider to be silent areas. In some cities you could get penalized for disturbing the peace near a hospital.

It's rather odd, can't say I see the logic behind it. Probably because there isn't any.

What it DOES show, is that law enforcement are becoming more like the the yes men of the world by thinking everyone will be happy if we let them do what they want. Rather than saying "Ok, freedom of expression and speech........but this is bullshit, so no."

-AC

PVS
Originally posted by WindDancer

most likely they were granted a permit to protest elsewhere, but chose to be idiots and....the rest is history

piccola_nuvola
My dad's a doctor...and when I was a younger I used to go to his workplace (hospital) sometimes...and what he always told me was to keep quiet, because, according to him (and to many others), one of the conditions that a person needs to recover is having quietness. And I think he was right.
In my opinion they'd help more the wounded if they protested somewhere else.

vaya_the_elf
Don't find it wrong that they protest, but it should not be outside the hospital.

bilb
As with so many things these days.. yeah have the right to protest but should also have the resposibility to do so in a more appropriate place...

BackFire
This just furthers my theory that protestors are idiots.

botankus
Backfire beat me to a great statement by about 8 hours.

xmarksthespot
I think the protest is ridiculous.

However I'm wondering if the same people who are so vehemently against an anti-war protest at an army hospital would also oppose an anti-gay protest at a funeral or an anti-abortion protest at a clinic.

ragesRemorse
There are fatally ill and wounded people at the hospital. Protesting outside the grounds is disrespectfull and badly played. It is a stupid move too, you can only protest so long before you get taken away for loitering. The thing about protests are, that they draw people, and people like to join stuff and complain too. Then you have a bunch people protesting about stuff they dont really know about.

botankus
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
anti-gay protest at a funeral
blink

Fire
It's their right to protest, but the chosen location is a bit disrespectful I think in front of a recruitment center would have a been a better choice.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by botankus
blink
I remember a while back when that guy Matthew Shepard was killed. Anti-gay protesters picketed his funeral - and I'm sure his funeral isn't the only one.

Storm
*Nods.*
Even as he lay dying in a Colorado hospital, college students there mocked him with a scarecrow atop a float in a parade. Homophobic and bigoted Christians came to Caspar, Wyoming to picket his funeral and dance on his grave, holding signs stating that "AIDS cures ****."

botankus
I remember a while back when that guy Matthew Shepard was killed. Anti-gay protesters picketed his funeral - and I'm sure his funeral isn't the only one.

That's strange to protest the fact that he was gay at a gay man's funeral. I mean, the dude's already dead, right?

To tell you the truth, I don't understand people protesting anything.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Storm
*Nods.*
Even as he lay dying in a Colorado hospital, college students there mocked him with a scarecrow atop a float in a parade. Homophobic and bigoted Christians came to Caspar, Wyoming to picket his funeral and dance on his grave, holding signs stating that "AIDS cures ****."
Yep. Which is why I asked the same people that say "freedom of protest taken too far" "anti-war protesters shouldn't be allowed" etc, whether or not they think protesters should be allowed to picket a gay teenager's funeral, abortion clinics etc.

Fire
that's even worse

WindDancer
Both cases are distasteful and disturbing.

FeceMan
It's the 'Nam of my generation. sick

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by FeceMan
It's the 'Nam of my generation. sick
I take it your referring to the anti-war protestors. In which case I ask: and what of the anti-gay and anti-abortion protestors?

FeceMan
I take it your referring to the anti-war protestors. In which case I ask: and what of the anti-gay and anti-abortion protestors?
Vietnam had nothing to do with homosexuality or abortion. I'm saying the soldier who have served have a lack of support, see protestors speaking against what they are dying for, and probably are treated like the Vietnam vets were.

xmarksthespot
Diversionary, you didn't answer whether or not people should be allowed to protest at funerals and abortion clinics. And what of the Christian anti-gay protest at a heterosexual soldier's funeral?

FeceMan
Diversionary, you didn't answer whether or not people should be allowed to protest at funerals and abortion clinics. And what of the Christian anti-gay protest at a heterosexual soldier's funeral?
I didn't answer because you didn't ask smile.

(I think you mean "Christian anti-gay protest at a homosexual soldier's funeral.)

I think people should be allowed to protest. I don't think people should be allowed to impede progress to a structure as vital as a hospital. Frankly, I hate the people who go protesting at abortion clinics because THEY are what everyone sees when everyone thinks of the Religious Right.

I think there is a time to speak and a time to be silent. In this case, I would say that demoralizing the men and women who give their limbs and lives for our country should not have to listen to protestors while they are convalescing. The people have a right to protest, but there are some times when it is wrong to do so.

"Christians" protesting at a gay soldier's funerals are, for lack of a better word, ****wads. They have warped and perverted the Bible and are acting completely against what they allegedly believe.

In a recent poll, when people were asked who Christians most closely resembled (and they were given several answers from which to choose), the most common answer was "people who hate gays".

Sadness.

Bardock42
I don't get protests anyways....I think they are rather stupid....as are people that actually go there to protest.........

xmarksthespot
No I actually meant at a heterosexual soldier's funeral. Extremist Christian anti-gay protesters picketed a straight soldier's funeral because they think "combat deaths are Gods wrath against U.S. homosexuals".

botankus
The only protesters I could possibly find any value in are ones who would protest protests.

FeceMan
No I actually meant at a heterosexual soldier's funeral. Extremist Christian anti-gay protesters picketed a straight soldier's funeral because they think "combat deaths are Gods wrath against U.S. homosexuals".
Huh. Well, that's retarded.

Capt_Fantastic
I'm confused.

As to the topic at hand, I support the right to protest. However, I agree there is little real ground gained by protesting anything...at least in this day and age.

Bardock42
Originally posted by botankus
The only protesters I could possibly find any value in are ones who would protest protests.

I will just What the f**k? that now.......What the f**k?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.