deep impact...a question of odds

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
i'm using a film to highlight a serious political question...in deep impact...a huge meteor/comet is going to smash into the earth and destroy all life on the planet...countries unite (under the leadership of the united states of course) and a mission is launched to save the world...of course the comet is destined to hit the US...it wouldn't be a hollywood blockbuster if it didn't

but the film highlights loads of question...could we put our differences aside to stop this kind of disaster?...would society breakdown as a result of a massive catastrophe?...yadda yadda yadda

but 2 things in particular concern me...and its a question of odds

what are the odds of this kind of disaster happening

but more importantly...and this is the question i'm puting to you guys cause i feel personally that its got the longer odds of the 2

what are the chances of there being a black president

i know many of you are chomping at the bit to call me all the racist/xenophobic evil bastards under the sun after reading that comment...but i want you to seriously think about it

not even a black president...but of any non white creed...

America seems to be a split nation when it comes to tolerance and stamping out racism...and it cant be argued that many strides have been taken in the fights for equal rights....

but really...is America ready for an ethnic minority president?

Deano
very possible for a asteroid to hit us..we are constantly hit with smaller asteroids and supposedly a massive one is going to pass by us in a few years time..so the threat is real.
i dont think the people of the world would put there differences aside, there would still be the same old conflict. i think there will be a black president in the future, it doesnt matter what colour the president is to the global elite.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by jaden101

Slim. Very.

It also gets more slim as an asteroid approaches us. Why? Because it gets hit, knocked against and loses considerable mass. Not to mention the amount it'd lose entering our atmosphere. Half the "an asteroid is gonna hit is in 2019" stories you here are false and unfounded. It's actually a very remote occurance but the fact that they miss us by what is a relatively narrow margin sometimes, arises cause to generate fear.

but more importantly...and this is the question i'm puting to you guys cause i feel personally that its got the longer odds of the 2

i know many of you are chomping at the bit to call me all the racist/xenophobic evil bastards under the sun after reading that comment...but i want you to seriously think about it

not even a black president...but of any non white creed...

America seems to be a split nation when it comes to tolerance and stamping out racism...and it cant be argued that many strides have been taken in the fights for equal rights....

but really...is America ready for an ethnic minority president?

Harder question than you might think. One I'm not too qualified to answer not being an American.

I don't think we're at a level of acceptance to allow that, sadly.

-AC

debbiejo

laughing out loud laughing

I can see us having a black president, though when a Jewish NONBELIEVER was in the running for Vice Pres....People talked about that as NOOOOOO way....

As for this type of disaster happening...I think it could...I know Scientists are trying to figure out what to do about it..It seems that when you blast something like an asteroid, the possibility of it regrouping is probably going to happen...This is what scientists have theorized would happen...

Hey, why not make another country the topic of this Block Buster.......Say.....Europe...hahahaha

Magee
Very slim but a serious threat. In fact not to long ago a big one just missed earth by something like 5,000 miles (half way between the moon and earth I think) and we didn't even see it until it sailed by. Why is that you ask? Well it came in from the direction of the sun where of course you can't point a telescope therefore its a sort of "blind spot" for astronomers, which is of great concern. But given the sheer vastness of space I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if I were you stick out tongue
Well I think it will be a while before we see an ethnic PM. I just think a lot of people wouldn't accept it therefore it just wont happen at this point in time.

Evil Dead
on the asteroid............it's pretty much a 100% chance that a civilization ending impact will occur on earth again in the future.............it may be 100 years......it may be 1,000 years.......it may be 5,000 years from now........but the day will come. It has already came twice. Had human civilization been around at the time of either impact.......it would have been destroyed.

as for the black president.........some day, I believe so. Things were going so good for a few decades here in America. Racism was declining. Children were thinking differently than their parents who grew up in a segregated society. We were all learning we're not too different after all. Then the ghetto movement happened. Rap music hit big across the nation. Instead of these young black males using their fame to further the momentum of unity........making us all realize that we really are no different from each other........they instead chose to come out wearing baggy jeans (fashion started in prison as inmates weren't allowed belts).......talking about shooting people with their ak-47s.......pimping women......etc. yeah..........that's just the image the black race needs to portray itself as to the white majority.

One day when all this stupid nigga bullshit is over and done with........when enough black people decide to step up and portray themselves in the media as the responsible citizens they are and not the cartoonish thug niggaz they take pride in doing so as now.......the racial divide will get smaller and smaller until everybody realizes we are the same. Then it will simply be a matter of time until a black candidate has a better political platform than his opponent, getting him voted into office.

Hell, Colin Powell would have been an excellent candidate. I would vote for him. Too bad Jay-Z , DMX and Ice Cube have many white Americans fooled into thinking a black man in the white house is going to be pimpin' hoes, drinkin' gin and juice and chillin' wit his niggaz all day.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Evil Dead

Hell, Colin Powell would have been an excellent candidate. I would vote for him.

Yeah, he would of made a good President...Very respected and intelligent.

xmarksthespot
Colin Powell has been marred, undeservedly, by his association with the Iraq war.

Oprah Winfrey is apparently the most influential woman in the US...

Evil Dead
no more so than Bush...........we voted him in again.

xmarksthespot
Wars favour the incumbent. Fear drove the quarter of the U.S. that voted for Bush to do so, and religious votes gave him the slim majority. Whether or not Powell would have the spectre of terrorism making voters prefer a status quo candidate is unknown.

Okay she's a self-made billionaire, and she has huge influence over American women and people in general, so in all seriousness, what do you think Oprah Winfrey's odds of becoming the first black woman President are?

debbiejo
Oprah would never be voted in....just can't see that....

Evil Dead
well.......as much as I like your explanation of why we voted Bush back in........I must say, John Kerry is a jackass......that had a lot to do with it. I'm a democrat and I voted for Bush. Given any other democratic candidate, the odds of Bush still being in the white house diminish severely.

no on Oprah. Okay, she can run a talk show.............so could Jerry Springer (who actually beat her for a couple years).......that doesn't mean you have jack shit qualifications for occupying a political office. Actually, Springer would be better. Atleast he has political experience........being the mayor of Cincinatti before he got caught covorting with hookers.......being caught because he paid with a check that bounced.............

xmarksthespot
Well she'd be taking a huge pay cut if she did get elected anyway.

What about Condoleezza Rice. I don't agree with her political leanings but she's a very capable person.
Also the sole black senator among the hundred, Barack Obama, is often promoted as the potential first black President.

The Omega

hotsauce6548
The chances of an asteroid hitting us that is large enough to cause any sort of cataclysmic event are extremely slim. no expression

Imagawa666
We have enough nuvlear and hydrogen weapons around to blow msot insterstellar rocks up or at least into a different direction.. I wouldnt worry too much.

DarkC
We've enough explosives to blow up the world ten times.

PVS
Originally posted by Imagawa666
We have enough nuvlear and hydrogen weapons around to blow msot insterstellar rocks up or at least into a different direction.. I wouldnt worry too much.

not true at all.
it would only work on solid rock, but less dense asteroids would be unaffected

debbiejo
Originally posted by DarkC
We've enough explosives to blow up the world ten times.

Wouldn't work, and there are chances that the gravity pull of it would cause it to regroup anyway.

Fire
also I doubt nuclear debris would be a good idea.

Now about a black president, I think it will be a while but it might happen, I hope I live to see the day.

I also wonder about a female president, I know the amount of political congresswomen and senators is pretty low (dunno the exact count, but it was a point my politology professor hammered down this year)

debbiejo
Originally posted by Fire
also I doubt nuclear debris would be a good idea.

Now about a black president, I think it will be a while but it might happen, I hope I live to see the day.

I also wonder about a female president, I know the amount of political congresswomen and senators is pretty low (dunno the exact count, but it was a point my politology professor hammered down this year)

I hate to say this...but a woman president might be scary at certain times....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.