Dude, you're like......totally GAY *frantic laughter*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wickerman
First of all, i'm sure this has been done a million times before, but seeing as how the search engine won't accept anything 3 letters or less and the word "gay" contains 3 letters.......well.....you get the picture sad

I initially wanted to make this a reply to someone posting a gif that finished triumphantly with a "you're GAY" message, but then realized it might be interesting to have a thread dedicated to it.

so.....here goes......

I really hate the whole "That's so gay" or "You're so gay" thing sad
And so that i don't look like a hypocrite, i admit to using it quite often actually as a means of insult or ridicule. It just comes naturally to be honest. I can only do so much as to blame three things:

1. Society, everybody's escape goat. Being gay is made out to sound like a disease, or something horrible, or just "freaky", and out of the ordinary.

2. Human nature for naturally associating out of the ordinary things to bad things, giving anything out of the ordinary a bad connotation from the get-go.

3. Myself, for not being able to go past society's influence on me, as well as my own human nature.

What are your thoughts on the "You're so GAY" thing?

~wickerman~

Bardock42
I suck......I use that ......I will try to stop it.....

EsteemedLeader
Originally posted by Wickerman

First of all, i'm sure this has been done a million times before, but seeing as how the search engine won't accept anything 3 letters or less and the word "gay" contains 3 letters.......well.....you get the picture sad

I initially wanted to make this a reply to someone posting a gif that finished triumphantly with a "you're GAY" message, but then realized it might be interesting to have a thread dedicated to it.

so.....here goes......

And so that i don't look like a hypocrite, i admit to using it quite often actually as a means of insult or ridicule. It just comes naturally to be honest. I can only do so much as to blame three things:

1. Society, everybody's escape goat. Being gay is made out to sound like a disease, or something horrible, or just "freaky", and out of the ordinary.

2. Human nature for naturally associating out of the ordinary things to bad things, giving anything out of the ordinary a bad connotation from the get-go.

3. Myself, for not being able to go past society's influence on me, as well as my own human nature.

~wickerman~

man, you are so gay...

Bardock42
Originally posted by EsteemedLeader
man, you are so gay...

What the f**k?

Wickerman
Originally posted by EsteemedLeader
man, you are so gay...

laughing I was waiting for that laughing out loud

~wickerman~

FeceMan
This is the gayest thread ever.

Usually when someone says, "Oh, that's so gay!", I will respond with something like, "Yes, because that particular chair is having sexual intercourse with another chair of the same gender."

Wickerman
Originally posted by FeceMan

Usually when someone says, "Oh, that's so gay!", I will respond with something like, "Yes, because that particular chair is having sexual intercourse with another chair of the same gender."

roll eyes (sarcastic)

confused i understand you using sarcasm, but can see no point in the chair analogy......so....... What the f**k? ???

~wickerman~

Fianna

~wickerman~ I agree...I can't stand the moronic laughter that follows after it...they're is nothing wrong with being gay, in either sense, and it's ridiculous to use it as an insult..

DanZeke25
here is a better way of saying someones gay.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7272/youregay3tc7rm8gb.gif

FeceMan
roll eyes (sarcastic)

confused i understand you using sarcasm, but can see no point in the chair analogy......so....... What the f**k? ???

~wickerman~
Was thinking of someone in my Chemistry class who made a comment about a certain type of chair being 'gay' (read: uncomfortable or something). That was my response.

Bardock42
I have to adit I find that funny....

But maybe it's just a word evolving.....happy to homosexual to insult ......

Wickerman
Originally posted by DanZeke25

Aaaaaaaaand there's the .gif i was talking about sad

Fi: I know sad

~wickerman~

Wickerman
Was thinking of someone in my Chemistry class who made a comment about a certain type of chair being 'gay' (read: uncomfortable or something). That was my response.

You could've said "Because the chair looks happy eh?" stick out tongue
But yeah, i get it now wink

~wickerman~

FeceMan
You could've said "Because the chair looks happy eh?" stick out tongue
But yeah, i get it now wink

~wickerman~
Nah.

People would have been like, "Oh, God, what a moron." By saying what I did, everyone laughed and the kid turned bright red. I, however, managed to retain a straight (non-gay smile) face during it all.

Wickerman
Nah.

People would have been like, "Oh, God, what a moron." By saying what I did, everyone laughed and the kid turned bright red. I, however, managed to retain a straight (non-gay smile) face during it all.

Yeah, i can see that actually laughing out loud

I'd actually love it if Capt._Fantastic would post in this thread sad

~wickerman~

Bardock42
This thread is only ten minutes old...give him some time.......

Wickerman
Originally posted by Bardock42
This thread is only ten minutes old...give him some time.......

No hurry, gonna go to sleep anyway. Just said that so in case he reads the thread and is having doubts about posting, he'd know i'd appreciate it smile

~wickerman~

debbiejo
I talk about chairs toooo...I thought everybody had names for t them,..We're always in um.....But I never use the word and don't know anyone who does......Must be a succumbing to peer pressure thing.....

DanZeke25
Aaaaaaaaand there's the .gif i was talking about sad

~wickerman~

laughing out loud Thats funny cause i didnt even read your post. laughing out loud

Darth Revan
My personal belief is that a lot of people are insecure and afraid of being called gay, and it makes them feel less gay to call other things gay... I say it out of habit myself, but I've been trying to stop. Usually I end up saying "retarded" instead. no expression

Inspectah Deck

laughing out loud

BackFire
It's just a term, I have no problem with it for the most part. Though I don't usually call people gay, not because I think it's mean or offensive, just because it's so cliche and I like to try to come up with different terms or expressions that aren't used or that are really exagerated.

Though every now and then I do say it, and I don't really plan on stoping nor do I really give a shit about it.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Darth Revan
My personal belief is that a lot of people are insecure and afraid of being called gay, and it makes them feel less gay to call other things gay... I say it out of habit myself, but I've been trying to stop. Usually I end up saying "retarded" instead. no expression
Therefore, I must be insecure of my mental competency, which is why I say things are 'retarded'. wink

RedAlertv2
I too have problems with always calling things "gay" or "retarded".

MC Mike
Originally posted by Darth Revan

Wow. Exact same for me... I don't know wat to replace it with.

Hulk Power
How about "gay retard?" I think that sounds better. yes

Wickerman
Originally posted by BackFire
It's just a term, I have no problem with it for the most part. Though I don't usually call people gay, not because I think it's mean or offensive, just because it's so cliche and I like to try to come up with different terms or expressions that aren't used or that are really exagerated.

Though every now and then I do say it, and I don't really plan on stoping nor do I really give a shit about it.

Yes, but it's a term that describes homosexuals, and that nowadays is used with negative connotations. You see nothing wrong with saying being gay is bad huh? Because even though you're not actually saying "Being gay is bad", you're using it as an insult, therefore perpetuating the whole mentality that calling someone a homosexual is a means to insult them.

~wickerman~

BackFire
Most people don't even mean "homosexual" when they say gay in that sense, as weird as it sounds. It's more or less a shared word in this sense, gay technically means homosexual, but when used as most people use it, it means stupid or something not connected with homosexuality.

Wickerman
Most people don't even mean "homosexual" when they say gay in that sense, as weird as it sounds. It's more or less a shared word in this sense, gay technically means homosexual, but when used as most people use it, it means stupid or something not connected with homosexuality.

I know. But the connection's what bothers me. The fact that it's the same, identical word. Even if they don't MEAN homosexual, the negative connotation given to the term that describes a group of people with different sexual preferences still exists.

~wickerman~

BackFire
Yeah.

But you also have to keep in mind that most people who use the term in that way do it only with their friends in a joking manner, it's not liek they're running around yelling it all over the place.

And if you can't do things like that with your good friends, then who can you do it with?

Wickerman
Yeah.

But you also have to keep in mind that most people who use the term in that way do it only with their friends in a joking manner, it's not liek they're running around yelling it all over the place.

And if you can't do things like that with your good friends, then who can you do it with?

Yeah, that's right. it's not like they're wandering the streets looking at random people and laughing at them, calling them gay. I understand what you're saying. I'm talking more from a "it's principles" POV. While it seems like "it's not hurting anyone", both you and your friends will have kids right? They'll hear you use the term in a derogatory manner, and so the whole problem of using it as a negative thing will keep perpetuating itself sad

~wickerman~

BackFire
Actually I wouldn't use it around kids, I'd obviously be a lot more careful about what I'd say around kids, especially my own.

Wickerman
Actually I wouldn't use it around kids, I'd obviously be a lot more careful about what I'd say around kids, especially my own.

However, your friends might not be so careful. And hell, you might even slip once or twice, i mean, you're only human (thought the whole leatherface thing is creepy sad )
I'm just saying this is like a domino. The first piece starts tumbling, the effect is immense. And it takes a shitload of time to clean up and put things back the way they should be. sad

~wickerman~

BackFire
Chances are, by the time I have kids my friends will be past the whole "that's gay" thing anyways. So it's not a problem.

Wickerman
Chances are, by the time I have kids my friends will be past the whole "that's gay" thing anyways. So it's not a problem.

Hmmm......indeed. Anyway, didn't make this thread to accuse people that use the term, but rather to discuss the phenomenon

~wickerman~

Capt_Fantastic
Yeah, i can see that actually laughing out loud

I'd actually love it if Capt._Fantastic would post in this thread sad

~wickerman~

As you wish.

I actually see nothing wrong with using the term "gay" or "queer" to describe something outof teh ordinary. I have friends that use that term quite often, in my presence. My best friend uses it to decribe something that he doesn't think goes well with the rest of the situation..or makes no sense.

I'm not so politically correct(I'm not politically correct at all, actually) that I think we need to change the definition of words.

I would suppose it's all dependant on the person who said it. But, that means I'm making myself the judge and jury...which would be no less or more right than the person who used the term in the first place. I'd much rather they used the term "gay" to describe something they didn't like...than to make up words like "hinkie".

If I got upset because someone decided to use the word 'gay' to describe something they didn't like...I'd be getting worked up over something that didn't matter. I'm not concerned about the words coming out of someones mouth half as much as I am their actions.

Capt_Fantastic

I love The Office. I haven't seen the US version, but the UK version rocks.

Wickerman
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
As you wish.

I actually see nothing wrong with using the term "gay" or "queer" to describe something outof teh ordinary. I have friends that use that term quite often, in my presence. My best friend uses it to decribe something that he doesn't think goes well with the rest of the situation..or makes no sense.

I'm not so politically correct(I'm not politically correct at all, actually) that I think we need to change the definition of words.

I would suppose it's all dependant on the person who said it. But, that means I'm making myself the judge and jury...which would be no less or more right than the person who used the term in the first place. I'd much rather they used the term "gay" to describe something they didn't like...than to make up words like "hinkie".

If I got upset because someone decided to use the word 'gay' to describe something they didn't like...I'd be getting worked up over something that didn't matter. I'm not concerned about the words coming out of someones mouth half as much as I am their actions.

Thanks for posting happy

What i was saying wasn't necessarily that it's used as a bad thing, but rather that it already means homosexual, it's now used with a bad connotation, therefore it's as if being homosexual is a bad thing. Not just out of the ordinary.

~wickerman~

Capt_Fantastic
Thanks for posting happy

What i was saying wasn't necessarily that it's used as a bad thing, but rather that it already means homosexual, it's now used with a bad connotation, therefore it's as if being homosexual is a bad thing. Not just out of the ordinary.

~wickerman~

oh, I understand the connection you're referring to...however, I don't see a problem. For example: two friends are walking down the hall at school. FriendA says something. Friend B doesn't agree with friend A's statement and calls him "gay" or refers to the comment as being "so gay". Now, one of two things will happen. Friend A will either laugh and move on or friend A will become so violently offended by the terminology that it could ruin the friendship. Which is more likely to happen? Option 1 is the most likely, in my opinion. It illistrates how inoffensive the term really was to begin with. So, if the majority of people who use the term do so in an offhanded manner, then why should I become offended by it? Now, should the second option occur, then friend A might really be gay.

Wickerman
oh, I understand the connection you're referring to...however, I don't see a problem. For example: two friends are walking down the hall at school. FriendA says something. Friend B doesn't agree with friend A's statement and calls him "gay" or refers to the comment as being "so gay". Now, one of two things will happen. Friend A will either laugh and move on or friend A will become so violently offended by the terminology that it could ruin the friendship. Which is more likely to happen? Option 1 is the most likely, in my opinion. It illistrates how inoffensive the term really was to begin with. So, if the majority of people who use the term do so in an offhanded manner, then why should I become offended by it? Now, should the second option occur, then friend A might really be gay.

No, no. I understand that given the frequency of its using and the casuality, it loses the value of insult after a while, but that's not my point. Sure, people wouldn't be insulted. I'm kinda talking principles here, as said earlier. While friend A might not be offended or even notice, it's still wrong to associate homosexuality with something bad. Or....at least IMO.

~wickerman~

Evil Dead
I look at it like this.......

gay meant happy.........then gay meant homosexual............now gay also means something that is odd in a bad way, not necissarily meaning it engages in sodomy.

words change over time.....

I hope this word doesn't offend anybody here but I'm going to type it anyway......

the word ****** once meant less than a man, a piece of property........now the word ****** is used as a friendly greeting by a large percentage of the black population of America.........they use it in every day life....in movies......in songs.......on television......

they have effectively created a new meaning to the word...........to now have 2 definitions.............much like gay, it can mean homosexual........or odd in bad way..........the two don't have to be related. I'm sure a black person who calls his friend his ****** does not mean that his friend is less than a man, nothing more than a piece of property to be owned by white men.

Clovie
i don't remember using this kind of gifs...(if i did i'm sorry)
generally they're just plain stupid. and it only shows the level (or to be more exact: the lack of it) of the person who posts such stuff erm

Bardock42
Yes Evil Deads right.....

Wickerman
Originally posted by Evil Dead

gay meant happy.........then gay meant homosexual............now gay also means something that is odd in a bad way, not necissarily meaning it engages in sodomy.

I hope this word doesn't offend anybody here but I'm going to type it anyway......

the word ****** once meant less than a man, a piece of property........now the word ****** is used as a friendly greeting by a large percentage of the black population of America.........they use it in every day life....in movies......in songs.......on television......

they have effectively created a new meaning to the word...........to now have 2 definitions.............much like gay, it can mean homosexual........or odd in bad way..........the two don't have to be related. I'm sure a black person who calls his friend his ****** does not mean that his friend is less than a man, nothing more than a piece of property to be owned by white men.

You as a white man go into a room filled with black people and say that word in a friendly manner. Hope you have 911 on speed dial stick out tongue

~wickerman~

Capt_Fantastic

But, that would imply that only gay guys can call other gay guys "gay". I mean, if I walked into a black bar and shouted..."what up my niggas?!"..I doubt the people there would saythat I was using the term correctly.

Wickerman
But, that would imply that only gay guys can call other gay guys "gay". I mean, if I walked into a black bar and shouted..."what up my niggas?!"..I doubt the people there would saythat I was using the term correctly.

I doubt you'd SURVIVE as said in previous post sad

~wickerman~

PVS
i'm guilty of using the word "gay" to describe something unusually stupid and lame, or dorky. however i dont think "thats homosexual", and anyone that knows me, knows im cool with and respect anyone who's different, and is a good person. (evil liberal)
i guess its just a product of conditioning...thats the word that pops in my head when i cant find the words to describe something intensly dorky. and although it may come off as homophobic, its not intended to. i guess i should find another word though....any suggestions?

Bardock42
You as a white man go into a room filled with black people and say that word in a friendly manner. Hope you have 911 on speed dial stick out tongue

~wickerman~

Well that'S what he's saying..the word was split up........it has two meanings now....

Wickerman
Originally posted by PVS
i'm guilty of using the word "gay" to describe something unusually stupid and lame, or dorky. however i dont think "thats homosexual", and anyone that knows me, knows im cool with and respect anyone who's different, and is a good person. (evil liberal)
i guess its just a product of conditioning...thats the word that pops in my head when i cant find the words to describe something along the lines described. and although it may come off as homophobic, its not intended to. i guess i should find another word though....any suggestions?

Yep, that's pretty much my problem as well. And it really bothers me. And even though the reason might not be homophobic in nature, it sounds like it, so i'm trying to stop.

Kid-rock-ian?

whistle

~wickerman~

Wickerman
Well that'S what he's saying..the word was split up........it has two meanings now....

But you/and him are suggesting (in your wording) that one group of people use it and it's automatically an insult, and some other group of people use it and it's just "hey man".

~wickerman~

Bardock42
But you/and him are suggesting (in your wording) that one group of people use it and it's automatically an insult, and some other group of people use it and it's just "hey man".

~wickerman~

we are not suggesting it...it's the way it is........

PVS
Yep, that's pretty much my problem as well. And it really bothers me. And even though the reason might not be homophobic in nature, it sounds like it, so i'm trying to stop.

Kid-rock-ian?

whistle

~wickerman~ \

but thats the problem. you cant think of another word, can you? i cant either. and sometime we NEED a good word. when i whack my thumb with a hammer, saying "GOSH GEE WILLACKERS!!!!!" just isnt going to cut it. i need to say "F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". in certain situations we need a word to aleave the pain, be it physical or mental.

i need a word for that which is uber-dorky. one which sums up my disgust. i NEED it. so whats it to be?

Wickerman
we are not suggesting it...it's the way it is........

crap......what i meant is that you make it sound okay. Which.....it's not.

~wickerman~

Bardock42
crap......what i meant is that you make it sound okay. Which.....it's not.

~wickerman~

It might or might not be okay....it is a fact though.......

Originally posted by PVS
\

but thats the problem. you cant think of another word, can you? i cant either. and sometime we NEED a good word. when i whack my thumb with a hammer, saying "GOSH GEE WILLACKERS!!!!!" just isnt going to cut it. i need to say "F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". in certain situations we need a word to aleave the pain, be it physical or mental.

i need a word for that which is uber-dorky. one which sums up my disgust. i NEED it. so whats it to be?

Good point...we need it.....

Wickerman
Originally posted by PVS
\

Actually saying "That guy is such a n00b" makes you look dorky yourself. Hmm.....so......i don't know. When i realize i'm about to say "gay" i quickly improvise. Like...."Dude.....you look.......iredeemably stupid" ...... "If you were to enter a stupid looking competition, they'd say "Sorry, no professionals" ". So.....i don't think i can come up with a word to replace "gay" sad

~wickerman~

Evil Dead
oh by no means was I equating the two terms........gay and ******...........I was merely making a comparison only in which each word now seems to carry two different definitions, completely unrelated to each other.

Evil Dead
Here's the solution Wicker Man............

feel free to keep using the term "gay" freely..........just make sure to follow it up with, "not that there's anything wrong with that"...........

P.S. glad to see you back from one of your sabaticals........

bardock
i admit i use it. i try to be more mature but i have my faults.

Evil Dead
that's because you're gay............

not that there's anything wrong with that.

bardock
was the long space really needed?

Wickerman
that's because you're gay............

not that there's anything wrong with that.

laughing out loud yeah...the blank space refers to the blank stares of your friends laughing ....and whaddya mean sabaticals? i admit to nothing shifty

~wickerman~

FeceMan
Queer.

Adam_PoE
Language subconsciously shapes how we view others.

Using the name of any social group to describe a person, place, or thing as deficient, inferior, poor, unusual, etc. is offensive, e.g. "That is so gay; I got Gyped; Don't Jew me."

"Be mindful of your thoughts, for thoughts become words; be mindful of your words, for words become actions; be mindful of your actions, for actions become habits; be mindful of your habits, for habits become character; be mindful of your character, for character becomes destiny."

whobdamandog
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Language subconsciously shapes how we view others.

Using the name of any social group to describe a person, place, or thing as deficient, inferior, poor, unusual, etc. is offensive, e.g. "That is so gay; I got Gyped; Don't Jew me."

"Be mindful of your thoughts, for thoughts become words; be mindful of your words, for words become actions; be mindful of your actions, for actions become habits; be mindful of your habits, for habits become character; be mindful of your character, for character becomes destiny."

And the kicker is...these quotes are posted by a guy who believes "Buddhism" is NOT a religion, and that no authority on earth is greater than the Dalai Lama's...laughinglaughinglaughing

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by whobdamandog
And the kicker is...these quotes are posted by a guy who believes "Buddhism" is NOT a religion, and that no authority on earth is greater than the Dalai Lama's...laughinglaughinglaughing

Your first premise commits the logic fallacy of Ad Hominem Abusive; instead of attacking an assertion, one attacks the person who made the assertion.

What I do or do not believe about Buddhism has nothing to do with the truth or falsity of my argument.

Your second premise commits the logic fallacy of Straw Man; one deliberately attacks an argument that is different from the actual argument presented.

I have never argued that "no authority on earth is greater than the Dalai Lama," but rather, there is no greater authority on Buddhism, than the Dalai Lama.

Congratulations for once again, putting your ignorance on parade. Or was it someone else who believes that no authority on earth is greater than Dictionary.com?

BackFire
Whob, please stop bringing up topics in the incorrect thread, this thread is not for discussing Budhism.

If you guys wish to discuss that topic do it in the appropriate thread.

Thanks.

§pearhead

the original of that was "you're awesome"

anywho, I'm quite sick of people using "gay" as a synonym for loser or effeminate. I know someone who I'd like to think of as a friend in his early 40's. He is, literally, a fat gay Jew. He's also the smartest and funniest man I know.

People tell you this (in different variations), and it's not trite: what someone is doesn't matter. Who he or she is does. Don't let something such as their sexuality get in the way of tolerating someone. In fact, statistically, it's nearly impossible for you to not know someone is gay. Honestly, knowing someone who's homosexual will truly open your eyes in this matter. It's my fervent hope that you do, in fact.

Quite simply, this whole 'gay' thing is a matter of ignorance and fear, and people who use homosexuality as an insult or scapegoat disgust me.

Curl_Up&Dye

lmao

laughing laughing laughing

FeceMan
Actually, I don't know why people are making such a big deal of this. If you aren't going to say 'gay', don't say 'dumb' or 'retard(ed)', either. The same thing that happened with 'gay' happened with those two words.

Spelljammer
I don't use it. I take the world gay seriously so It doesn't cross my mind to use it in that context. And it disturbs me to see even homosexuals use it in such a derogatory context.. But, that's where free will comes in, and I could only hope they learn to mature over that..

Curl_Up&Dye
yup

Trickster
The word 'gay' has changed context. If somebody were to call something 'homosexual' in a derrogatory way, nobody around them would find it funny.

It's simply gone through a large meaning change, and when somebody uses it, they are not actually referring to being gay. Just like retarded, as others have mentioned (DR).

Can't really be bothered to read through the thread, so if this has already been mentioned (and it probably has)... Well, whatever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.