Hurricane Katrina packs winds (175mph)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

manny321
NEW ORLEANS - Mayor Ray Nagin ordered an immediate evacuation Sunday for all of New Orleans, a city sitting below sea level with 485,000 inhabitants, as Hurricane Katrina bore down with wind revved up to nearly 175 mph and a threat of a massive storm surge.

Acknowledging that large numbers of people, many of them stranded tourists, would be unable to leave, the city set up 10 places of last resort including the Superdome arena.

"This is a once in a lifetime event," the mayor said. "The city of New Orleans has never seen a hurricane of this magnitude hit it directly."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050828/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina

Guys the thing is that this is as strong as Camille and Andrew but this one is getting huge. The hurricane winds cover 105 miles!!! WOW this is going to be a hurricane of epic proportions. Our weather channel says it will no matter what happens hit land with at least cat 5 strength.

Alpha Centauri
HERE I AM!!!

DA NA....NANANA, ROCK YOU LIKE A HURRICANE!

Sorry. Had to.

-AC

manny321
well it appears more talk will start after we see the damage of the storm.

PVS
man...new orleans is screwed sad

the real problem will be flooding.

CrazyInLove
It is coming up through Mississippi, sad I am worried.. They haven't seen one like this since 1992!

manny321
Guys this is going to hit the US withatleast minmal cat 5 strength. It is growing larger meaning by how wide the winds spread. It was only 70 miles of hurricane winds now it is 105 miles wide field of hurricane winds and growing larger. If it hits with cat 5 strength i expect it to be much worse then camille and andrew. Why because this hurricane is much larger then those two.

manny321
I wonder if anderson cooper from cnn will ride this one out???

Fishy
Originally posted by manny321
Guys this is going to hit the US withatleast minmal cat 5 strength. It is growing larger meaning by how wide the winds spread. It was only 70 miles of hurricane winds now it is 105 miles wide field of hurricane winds and growing larger. If it hits with cat 5 strength i expect it to be much worse then camille and andrew. Why because this hurricane is much larger then those two.

Yeah and thats why you shouldn't live below sea level in Hurricane sensitive places.

Wickerman

You will NEVER get a job in PR laughing out loud

"No mam......no m'am.....yes.....yes, you'll die.....yes.....bye bye"

laughing out loud

~wickerman~

CrazyInLove
laughing out loud Well, there is nothing to slow Katrina down, so if she just keeps building up, then this is going to be bad.. The guy on the weather channel was hilarious earlier this morning, he was a little dramatic.. he was like "Evacuate now! People this is not a movie, we are not making a movie this is real, so please be careful!" LOL, it was hilarious how he acted..

Well, if she comes through here (which she should) then as bad as our electricity lines our, we are likely to be out of electricity for week or two.. who knows!

manny321
i know i would say this is no tropical storm its some real shit coming thorugh.

CrazyInLove
yeah

manny321
Yeah i hope it misses New Orleans. If it does this could be very very bad. The storm is being described as an annular hurricane. A hurricane that can maintain extreme wind speeds for a long time.

CrazyInLove
well, I promise you it won't miss New Orleans! why do you live in New orleans or something?

fini
Hurricane Katrina Is a category 5 right now and is strengthening( and no there is no number above 5). Maximum winds are over 300 Km/hr( thats over 200 mi/hr).
Central pressure is at 906 mb( the lower the central pressure the stronger the hurricane.

She was heading due west for a long time, but has finally begun to make a definite turn northwards. People in New Orleans, Had better get the **** outta there.

This is the right time of year for realllllllllly powerful hurricanes. SO for those people's sake, I hope they leave RIGHT NOW.

LOL and yeah we'll see more discussion once she makes landfall. Hmm You think there was a lot of rain after Dennis hit this year, Katrina is sure to dump a hell lot more of rain. LEts hope you have flooding insurance people.

KidRock
The US will be better off without New Orleans.

debbiejo
Originally posted by KidRock

Yummy food there.....CREOOLLLLLE SPPPIIIIIIIIICEYYYY.......

fini
WELL its not like its gonna hit only New Orleans and then die out. This one is gonna last long and affect millions, SO have some consideration for others( lol and I dont even like the states)

debbiejo
Originally posted by fini
( lol and I dont even like the states)

Well that's just breaks my heart... big grin ......blink

Looks like we'll be getting some rain here in a few days...

CrazyInLove
Yes, I know it isn't only hitting New Orleans, I am in danger here too!

debbiejo
I guess it's supposed to knock out the power grid...That would really screw things up....was that already mentioned?????.Many people just aren't leaving...hoping it slows down to another category....My brother lives in the Florida panhandle....

PVS

yeah, hundreds if not thousands are going to be killed, while countless more will have their homes destroyed. funny huh? what an a$$hole

KidRock
I would be so pissed if I lived down there. I hate it when the power goes out.

jaden101
new orleans is about to be levelled by a hurricaine?

well...if ever there was proof that God hates gays and that ann coulter is right...then here it is

angel wink

KidRock
Originally posted by jaden101
new orleans is about to be levelled by a hurricaine?

well...if ever there was proof that God hates gays and that ann coulter is right...then here it is

angel wink

"yeah, hundreds if not thousands are going to be killed, while countless more will have their homes destroyed. funny huh?"
wink

jaden101
"yeah, hundreds if not thousands are going to be killed, while countless more will have their homes destroyed. funny huh?"
wink

i'm sure someone of your political and social savvy said exactly the same thing on the 26th of december last year...am i right?

debbiejo
sad

Worst than Florida last year?????...I guess I need to go watch the news again....

PVS
i think when this is over, and the realisation hits of how much damage was done, and how many people we killed, you will feel like real assholes for making a joke out of it. so laugh it up now i guess.

jaden101
Originally posted by PVS
i think when this is over, and the realisation hits of how much damage was done, and how many people we killed, you will feel like real assholes for making a joke out of it. so laugh it up now i guess.

probably not...but hey...thats just me...

PVS
Originally posted by jaden101
probably not...but hey...thats just me...

thats sad

jaden101
i guess it is...empathy isn't a trait i possess in any quantity...i guess thats why i'm good at what i do (forensics)...

i didn't actually mean my initial post as a outright joke...just making an ironic political statement in a rather dry way...

CrazyInLove
Kidrock, you're a real *******. There are a lot of people's lives and homes and families in danger here, and for you to be saying some stupid ass stuff, you aren't a caring person then are you? What if you and your family lived in New Orleans, I bet you wouldn't be saying it then.. I don't live in New Orleans, but the hurricane is coming through where I live and one hasn't hit us (Mississippi) like this since 1965, so I don't appreciate you talking like that... You're a real jack ass.

Becca

KidRock
Originally posted by CrazyInLove
Kidrock, you're a real *******. There are a lot of people's lives and homes and families in danger here, and for you to be saying some stupid ass stuff, you aren't a caring person then are you? What if you and your family lived in New Orleans, I bet you wouldn't be saying it then.. I don't live in New Orleans, but the hurricane is coming through where I live and one hasn't hit us (Mississippi) like this since 1965, so I don't appreciate you talking like that... You're a real jack ass.

Becca

Thank you. I am always looking for feedback on how I come off to you guys on this forum.

People have enough time to evacuate. If they choose not to then that is their poor ass decision.

jaden101
kidrock...you're a legend....most people on the board think you're a moronic inbred red neck gun toting rootin tootin son of a *****...i think you just like to bait people into getting themselves all annoyed...maybe i'm wrong...

seaapple
I have a family member vacationing there right now. There are no train tickets, airline flights, or rental cars available. She's stuck and I am not really sure what she should do.

KingDubya
Wow... when it hit my house, I slept right through it. (Of course, I only got the edge of it and I live almost right on the East Coast)

CrazyInLove
Thank you. I am always looking for feedback on how I come off to you guys on this forum.

People have enough time to evacuate. If they choose not to then that is their poor ass decision.

Listen you a**hole, actually if you would have been paying attention to the news then you would realize that actually people don't have time to evacuate now. The news guy on the TV earlier said that they should've started telling people to evacuate 3 hours before they did! The roads are backed up with people trying to get out of there, in four hours the cars moved up 20 miles! and there are 10,000 people waiting to get in the super dome - they have been waiting there for 7 hours. Some people brought firearms and alchohol with them to the dome and so now they are having to check all the people before they can let them all in. The hurricane is going to hit soon and people are still trying their best to get out there. You really should have more concern for people than what you do. And actually some people don't have the money to evacuate! They might not have the money for gas (as high as it now!), and even if they had the money for gas then they may not have the money to pay to rent a room at a hotel. Some places have actually ran out of gas. Biloxi, MS has been one of them, so some people cannot even evacuate! Only the people who had a full tank of gas or so could get anywhere... and even the people who do get to evacuate then do you know the awful things they have to come back to? New Orleans is likely to be completely destroyed, so the people may not even have a home when they come back.. You should really check up on the news before you say something so stupid. Obviously you care little about anyone but yourself. But, your just one person, I really don't give a s*** what you say, but I'm just saying I think you're a real a**hole.

CrazyInLove
Originally posted by seaapple
I have a family member vacationing there right now. There are no train tickets, airline flights, or rental cars available. She's stuck and I am not really sure what she should do.

I'm so sorrysad I don't know what to tell you either....

PVS
kidrock gets off on pissing people off,
even if it means bating and making fun of a catastrophy.
what a lowlife, huh?

vaya_the_elf
This storm is going to be very bad, and I feel sorry for all the people who have to deal with this storm. Also feel sorry the animals, and pets as well.

Just it does not keep the city underwater.

PVS
i cant even fathom 170mph winds. and god knows how long they'll be subjected to it. they have alot of people packed into the superdome. homeless, handicapped, families that couldnt make it out. they are expecting a flood of about 15 feet. since new orleans is 5 feet below sea level, its not a matter of "if" but "how much". in larger buildings they have the first 5 floors evacuated.

GuitarBunny
Originally posted by PVS
man...new orleans is screwed sad

the real problem will be flooding. the actually problem is the idiots who aren't abandoning the coast sad

PVS
Originally posted by GuitarBunny
the actually problem is the idiots who aren't abandoning the coast sad

as another poster pointed out, many of them cant. either lack of transportation, handicapped, homeless, many reasons. sure i bet there are a handful of idiots who chose to stay when they could have left, but most of them have no choice.

GuitarBunny
Originally posted by PVS
as another poster pointed out, many of them cant. either lack of transportation, handicapped, homeless, many reasons. sure i bet there are a handful of idiots who chose to stay when they could have left, but most of them have no choice. i see why the handicapped and reasons close to that can't but......come on if you have a car and your able to move why not do it shock

PVS
thats just it> if you have no car.....

CrazyInLove
our local news just reported that anyone in mobile home needed to evacuate now in our area!! Luckily we don't have a mobile home, but I just everyone will be okay.. and my horses, oh I hope the barn makes it ok...

GCG
Its outrageous that the government asks for votes and doesnt have the decency to provide these poor people with civil protection vehicles that could drive them out of the path of the hurricane !

PVS
our local news just reported that anyone in mobile home needed to evacuate now in our area!! Luckily we don't have a mobile home, but I just everyone will be okay.. and my horses, oh I hope the barn makes it ok...

are you located in an elevated area? i hope you are sad

seaapple
I'm so sorrysad I don't know what to tell you either....

Yes, basically my sister is stuck in the hotel. All they can do is move to a room that is not by the windows. The hotel is giving them food (sandwiches, etc.) and flashlights. All the tourists there are trapped because there is not transporation. When they found out about the storm the ordered a rental car after they couldn't get any other form of transportation. Then later when they called back the rental car company said that their reservation had been cancelled. So basically there is no way out and they just have to wait it out in the hotel. One restaurant has stayed open to serve the trapped tourists in the area they are at.

fantasygirl
I hope people will be safe. erm

Alpha Centauri
Maybe it's Mother Nature finally saying "Stop ****ing up my health you shits."

-AC

Draco69
I never got to go to Mardi Gras... sad

Damn Mother Nature! *****!

manny321
WOW is it just me or has this hurricane literally been able to keep the same intensity for a while this support the theory of annular hurricane. Meaning it is much stronger for a loner period of time and it cannot weaken until it hits land. They expected it to be a cat 4 at 11pm advisory however it still is a high cat 5 160-165 mph storm for almost all day now. THis is very bad news.

GCG
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Maybe it's Mother Nature finally saying "Stop ****ing up my health you shits."

-AC

i dont understand why it should be "finally"

KidRock
Originally posted by PVS
kidrock gets off on pissing people off,
even if it means bating and making fun of a catastrophy.
what a lowlife, huh?

Not true.

Also, people know they are in a hurricane zone down on the coast of the gulf of mexico, they should be prepared before hand as well.

PVS
Originally posted by GCG
i dont understand why it should be "finally"

seriously.
as bad as this is, it doesnt hold a candle to the 04 tsunami. this is more like mother nature simply clearing her throat.

botankus
Originally posted by GCG
Its outrageous that the government asks for votes and doesnt have the decency to provide these poor people with civil protection vehicles that could drive them out of the path of the hurricane !

"DOT? Got a question for you. We're going to bring down 700,000 automobiles down the Interstates to help with the evacuations that are already moving about 2 MPH. Also, we've got about 200,000 of those inflatable hydro-hover-thingees. Thanks, we'll be on our way!"

New Orleans is a great city. It's very poor but the people there are top of the line to visitors (like me and a million others). I wish them the very best.

KidRock, they've just announced that they will be opening up the top of the Lousiana Superdome for Redneck Waterslidin' tomorrow. I figured since you love those Slip N' Slides and Wet Bananas, you might want to start heading down there.

DanieLs_4_Ever
Pretty interestin stuff, I say. We watched the TV for 3 periods today because of Katrina. Im kind of confused though, I heard from some people its a category 5 and on tv as well, and I also heard the tv say its a category 1! Wtf is it?
Well anyway, The dome(sp) isnt gonna stand for much longer..The roof and part of the building has already flown off and there are appx 20,000 people inside that couldnt leave the area and I suppose they're all gonna die. It was quite funny seeing the reporter outside this morning, he looked like he was about to fly away. The camera got hit with a shingle or gutter or somethin no expression . But its all pretty interesting..Ive never really been interested in hurricanes, but this caught my attention.

PVS
Originally posted by DanieLs_4_Ever
Well anyway, The dome(sp) isnt gonna stand for much longer..The roof and part of the building has already flown off and there are appx 20,000 people inside that couldnt leave the area and I suppose they're all gonna die.

i read that only a section of the roof blew off. are you sure what you are saying is accurate?

DanieLs_4_Ever
Originally posted by PVS
i read that only a section of the roof blew off. are you sure what you are saying is accurate?
No that's not what I meant, sorry, I meant that PARTS of the roof blew off. I saw as the reporter stood there the shingles just flew by him. But a section of the building DID fly off, I know that.
But anyway, they're saying that Katrina is lightening up in New Orleans, they showed a cam of it and few people are actually walking around and stuff, not many though. But the flooding is god awful, Im sure some people are trapped or dead. erm

manny321
No it was cat 5 a about hundred miles from landfall. It was a supercharged cat 4 when it hit land. Also there is some dire situations being reported in New Orleans of large sections of residential area covered with water as high or higher then the rooftops of houses. They expect many dead and some places they have not heard from yet. Especially to the east of New Orleans and in Mississippi. They say it will cost almost as much as Andrew. Now it a Cat 1 or not a hurricane at all.

Jedi Priestess
Well this was an interesting read....First of all to those of you that are arguing with KR, you kinda ask for it seeing as you've been arguing with him now for months. A more prudent move would have been to put the fool on ignore and then you don't have a blood pressure spike reading his ridiculous drivel.

What I found sad about this was the fact that there were merchants gouging people for gasoline and supplies yesterday. Sad state of affairs when mankind starts behaving like that. no

manny321
There have been reports of Camille like damage on the coast of Mississippi. Meaning a whole 2-3 story apartment building is completely wiped off the earth. Also some houses that survived Camille did not survive this.

If you guys don't know Camille it is a legendary hurricane. As Andrew is the big hurricane in Florida, Camille is the grand daddy of hurricanes in that area. It was very small and compact but had winds of sustained 190-200 mph and over 200 were killed and really got the attention towards hurricane.

This was much less stronger then camille but was almost twice the size. Early report is 3 dead in Mississippi.

GCG
It was very small and compact but had winds of sustained 190-200 mph and over 200 were killed and really got the attention towards hurricane.

shock 190-200 ?? Wow !

PVS
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Well this was an interesting read....First of all to those of you that are arguing with KR, you kinda ask for it seeing as you've been arguing with him now for months. A more prudent move would have been to put the fool on ignore and then you don't have a blood pressure spike reading his ridiculous drivel.

i have him on ignore. but you know what i discovered? the ignore function doesnt really matter when people keep quoting him

Jedi Priestess
indeed, unfortunate that is sad

manny321
Its getting very bad very fast. CNN just quoted an AP article reporting already 55 dead only in a small part of Mississippi. Some parts are not accessed yet and New Orleans is not reported yet. God this could be worse then all four of the hurricanes last year. Its already as deadly as HUGO

The grand daddy Camille killed 143 people in the shoreline alone and 113 more inland,
Article relating to camille http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Camille

Hurricane hugo (1989) hit at the same strength as this hurricane and killed 56 people in the US. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Hugo

Andrew (1992) the worst hurricane in recent memory had winds of sustained 165 mph killed 23 people but 65 more indirectly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Andrew

This is going to become one of the legendary hurricanes.

manny321
"Jim Pollard, spokesman for the Harrison County emergency operations center, said 50 people were killed by Katrina in his county, with the bulk of the deaths at an apartment complex in Biloxi. Three other people were killed by falling trees in Mississippi and two died in a traffic accident in Alabama, authorities said."
"http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/hurricane_katrina"

Most people killed in one apartment complex. Reminds of that legendary story of that Hurricane party during Camille in a apartment building everyone (20 people) were killed expect for one person.

The total death toll is now at 55+11 in Florida (first landfall) 4+ people in LA= 70+

silver_tears
we're supposed to get heavy rains up here in Ontario on Wednesday thanks to Katrina

KidRock
Originally posted by PVS
i have him on ignore. but you know what i discovered? the ignore function doesnt really matter when people keep quoting him

Is it really that difficult to just brush over the post in which someone quoted me? Or are you just unable to roll the mouse wheel past the post old man?

botankus
For those that thought the Superdome is floating down the Mississippi, the Saints don't have a home game until 9/18 and the facility will be just fine.

PVS
HURRICANE KATRINA
5 a.m. ET Tuesday
Position of center: 35 miles northeast of Tupelo, Mississippi

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Rescuers worked through the night to reach hundreds of people stranded after Hurricane Katrina ripped across the Gulf Coast killing dozens of people, destroying countless homes and leaving more than a million people without power in three states.

And authorities said they would not be able to reach some of the hardest-hit areas until first light on Tuesday.

The storm is blamed for at least 67 deaths and that toll is almost certain to rise. Mississippi officials said at least 54 people were killed there, including 30 who were killed in an apartment complex near the Biloxi beach. Alabama reported two deaths. The storm killed 11 people last week when it made its initial landfall in Florida.

While Louisiana officials have not yet confirmed any deaths there, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said there have been reports of bodies floating in the floodwaters.

more: http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/30/katrina/index.html

debbiejo
Wow...3 states without power....I've been to Biloxi...Been on that big bridge....

Darth Nauj
stupid @ss hurricane. there going to raise the gas just because of all the F*cking damage it has done, damn you

botankus
If you choose to give $$$, don't just give money to any schmuck because odds are they are exactly that. It seems like common sense but you'd be surprised how many people get ripped off on these scams.

PVS
Originally posted by botankus
If you choose to give $$$, don't just give money to any schmuck because odds are they are exactly that. It seems like common sense but you'd be surprised how many people get ripped off on these scams.

cant stress that enough.

DO NOT give money to door-to-door "charity" groups.

ESPECIALLY do NOT donate to anyone who solicits to you over the phone.

they are scams and you'll just be rewarding heartless scumbags with no souls.

if you want to donate, contact the red cross.

manny321
Death tolls are ranging from all over the place.There were reports from 54-80 people killed in one county alone in Mississippi. The total death toll is anywhere from 77-over 100. Around 13 death were indirect. Such as tornado deaths, traffic accidents during the hurricane and etc. Yeah also 80% of New Orleans is under water some parts almost 20 feet deep due to a levee break 2 blocks long.
Sources are http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050830/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina_3;_ylt=An2t. 4FWAg4ftOwvj9yMQYsbLisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlY
wMlJVRPUCUl
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina

The Highlord
Whats the situation over there?, is New orleans like Ground Zero after a nuke? or what?

manny321
No Mississippi is mosly hit hardist. New Orleans was missed by the most damaging parts of the hurricane but still 80% of the city is flooded and they have gotten major damage from the winds. Some parts are up to 25 feet in water. The most severe damage is from east of New Orleans to Beloxi, Mississippi. However the damage goes from baton rouge, LA to Pensacola Florida.

debbiejo
My brothers in Pensacola.......wonder if the phones are out?

theReject
Some phones lines are. Most of my friends are without homes now. Pray please.

manny321
Hundreds feared dead in belloxi!!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050830/ts_nm/ weather_katrina_dc_62;_ylt=AlIcu_Od_64OTUcBgNA_eSs
bLisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

I don't think this is just hype. Any one near the coast living in home was likely to be killed if a 30 foot storm surge comes.

The confirmed death toll is near 81-107 while 64-90 are confirmed. There have been reports of two people dieing in the super dome. One is reported to have committed suicide by jumping from the upper stands. Also martial law is declared in LA. This is is going to be bigger then Andrew.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina

Is it just me or do i think this will be reclassified as a much stronger hurricane like hurricane andrew ten years after it hit???

KidRock
Hundreds feared dead in belloxi!!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050830/ts_nm/ weather_katrina_dc_62;_ylt=AlIcu_Od_64OTUcBgNA_eSs
bLisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

I

From the video feed and pics on the news I wouldn't be surprised.

Sadako of Girth
My god... Sounds like hell/pandemonium over there right now...
Hope this blows itself out with out too much more damage...
Be safe you guys....

DanieLs_4_Ever
Originally posted by Darth Nauj
stupid @ss hurricane. there going to raise the gas just because of all the F*cking damage it has done, damn you
2.64 a gallon over herre. Gayness.

We're expected to get the eye of the storm over here in the next few hours.

manny321
New Orleans is getting very bad very fast. Plus a large suburb east of that city has no reports at all from it. Death tolls are still have to be counted from LA first of all.

Some stats the third most intense hurricane on record to hit the US.
1. Great labour day hurricane of 1935
2. Hurricane Camille
3. Hurricane Katrina
4. Hurricane Andrew

Note the fact that Katrina had lower wind speeds then Camille and Andrew but it was much larger almost twice as large.

The most deadly storm since 1972 (already) to hit the US and that hurricane was Hurricane AGNES that killed 122. Most likely and sadly it will reach the levels of camille which killed 256 in 1969 and it is already surpassing storms that were much much older. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastdead.html

Guys these were hurricanes from 40-50 years ago and we are getting similar death tolls. Just shows we have not come that far in technology as we think.
It is safe to say the worst NATURAL diaster to hit the US in a very very long time.

NunYahBidness
I'm still worried about my friend in Mississippi...haven't heard a thing yet.

bilb

Guys these were hurricanes from 40-50 years ago and we are getting similar death tolls. Just shows we have not come that far in technology as we think.
It is safe to say the worst NATURAL diaster to hit the US in a very very long time.

not necessarily.. i never understood what could be accomplished by using technology to 'battle' natural disasters other than earlier warning times.. i mean no matter how great your technology is you are never gonna control mother nature.. the deal is that people either refuse to evacuate or dont have the means to do so.. thats why the death toll remains constant.. had we not come as far as we have then I suspect that teh death toll would be much higher simply die to population increase.. just IMO

manny321
true but many people think with modern construction that there house can survive such forces which is not true based on the strength on the hurricane and as this has shown/
It is not my view.

Also some people die because they survived previous hurricanes. Like some people say "my house survived Camille so ill stay." (It was a guy on TV who said that) His house was gone he survived and now calls himself an idiot. I would say people that are to full of them self and stupid people are the ones that usually die in a storm. At least go a few miles inland not on the coast!!!!! However some people just cannot because there too poor.

However this will become a hurricane that will become a legend and will be talked about on the likes of Camille, Hugo, Andrew and others.

DanieLs_4_Ever
That's bullshit..all we're getting is RAIN from this damn storm..I want thunder, I want lightning, and I want wind...Nothing..nadda, has come..We only got like...1 or 2 storms over the whole summer and they were rinky dink.

jaden101
its been a bit confusing from over the pond...our news reported it initially as having missed the worst of it...now its a massive disaster

i'm going to go all offensive on you again so if you cant accept it then look away now

why are some people refering to hurricane katrina as "our tsunami"...that, in my opinion, is one of the most pretentious things i have ever heard in my life...yes it appears that many people have died in the hurricane...several hundred perhaps...probably a lot of them could have been avoided because no doubt some of the people who died could have fled but chose not to...there was plenty of warning

the people of Asia and India had little warning...the death toll was 350,000...towns of thousands were wiped from the face of the earth...bodies were being washed up on the beaches for months... the economies of the countries hit are weak and the infrastructure unable to cope at the best of times....the area effected stretched over an entire ocean...

it kind of puts it into perspective

as for being unable to stop nature...the netherlands have kept half their country from being submerged under 8 metres of water for many years...they have the biggest and most expensive coastal defences in the world...if a country like holland can stop the sea over many miles then i'm sure the worlds most powerful country can invest a few dollars to protect its coasts a bit more

vaya_the_elf
I'd love to have some storms. It's only raining here to.

Anyways, I feel sorry for all the animals that got stuck in the poor Hurricane. sad

KidRock
I think Foamy describes the situation best..

http://www.illwillpress.com/kat.html

manny321
You morons learn how hurricanes work. When they hit land the weaken. If your way far inland you won't get much more then rain. If you wanted some real weather why didn't you go to belloxi!!!

Yes this is not the great tsunami at all, However this is the worst storm to hit the US in many decades. Over 100 are reported kill in one county in Mississippi. A very high death toll and New Orleans is in total Chaos. Looting, shooting, flooding, and many refuges from the storm.

Also Danielle are you saying that the damage reports are all "bullshit"??

If you want to feel the true power of a hurricane (i have Jeanne last year) you should go to area of the places getting hit at landfall. It is a massive disaster they say they may have to abandon New Orleans for some weeks. It is a disaster of a large scale but nowhere near the Asian tsunami and yes most people should have evacuated.

bilb
Yes Jaden you are exactly right.. this is nothing compared to the devestation from the tsunami.. BUT to those who hav lost everything or even a loved one it still feels just as devastating on a personal level

fini
This IS NOTHING compared to the tsunami YES. But heck man, its still people that were affected.

As I have said earlier, I dont really care too much bout the states, but its the people man, have you seen the faces on TV, its just heartbreaking. Can you imagine losing everything? We wont know the full casualty for a while, and these people cant even go back home for months.

At least after the tsunami, people could go back to their communities and try to put( what was left of it) back together. What will the people of New Orleans do? THey have to leave for at least a month or two. Even those other town, there is no way to get to them, other than by air or boat. Those communities will have to completely leveled in order for people to start rebuilding.

Why this is worse than the tsunami.......the hurricane season isn't finished yet, in fact there is much more to come. There are 3 areas of low pressure in the ATLANTIC right now, any one of them can develop, OR NOT. So psychologically this isn't over yet. A tsunami is a VERY rare event, you dont. BUT hurricanes happen every year. And we are in the years of increased hurricane activity.

botankus
When I saw that idle comment about "our tsunami," I thought 'Oh, no. Here comes the parade of & quot;peoplewhojumpononesinglesentenceofaserioussto
ryandspinitinandlessentheimpact" patrol.' So don't let that guy (police official, I believe) lessen the impact of the terrible catastrophe that Katrina was. I trust people are smart enough to know what I'm saying here.

That would be like telling someone that you compare the murder of your friend to the genocide of Rwanda. It lessens the meaning of both events. No one wins for either the comment speaker or responder so it's best to understand that it shouldn't have been said and move on.

bilb
the fact is you cant compare grief.. loss is loss is loss.. on an individual level it doesnt matter whether one person or a million were affected when you yourself have been devestated.. so there really is no need to compare the two.. both are awful and the people involved deserve our respect and good wishes as they try to rebuild what they have lost, in Asia AND in the southern USA

botankus
^^ well said, bilb

xmarksthespot
Human tragedy is human tragedy - however the magnitude of this hurricane shouldn't be compared to the death and devastation of the tsunami.

I'm wondering... with all this strange weather in recent times do those in power in America still believe climate change is just a myth? Are the SUV sales going to keep on climing?

manny321
True it is not the worst in world history at all.. However note the whole city of New Orleans is going to be abandoned for quite a while. When in modern times in the US did a whole city have to shut down totally???

Plus oil has hit ridiculous amounts around. 1.19 Cents Canadian which is way more expensive then the US. So this will impact us all.

Interesting this was the first time the news made the story less serious then it actually was. Right after it they said it was no to bad. Then Tuesday morning they say it was an epic disaster.

Well if you want to know the current death toll it is 146. New Orleans is still under water so it will take a lot of time before we know what happens.
Also it is very sad how many people die indirectly from storms by doing very stupid things. Such as looting, shooting, suicide trying to fix houses and do something very stupid. Look at Hurricane Andrew. 23 dead actually from the storm but 65 died indirectly from the storm.

Yeah this must be the most costliest disaster in the US for sure. Billions of damages to Casino's, Bridges, oil refineries and one actually washed ashore!!! One hitting a bridge. Whole city under water and many more things.

manny321
The worst fears have happened in New Orleans and the mayor said some very disturbing things.
This is what he said.
"We know there is a significant number of dead bodies in the water," and other people dead in attics, Mayor Ray Nagin said. Asked how many, he said: "Minimum, hundreds. Most likely, thousands."
I hope he is flat out wrong however it is likely sadly.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050831/ap_on_re_us/ hurricane_katrina;_ylt=ApMhY5kvMrRttTFTtbs8nGwDW7o
F;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

bilb
I just read this on another board and got the lady's permission to repost it here.. it gives some perspective on whats going on there:

I'm not normally one to post e-mail on the board, but my mom just forwarded this to me from a member of their credit union community:

Hello everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to let the CU community know what is transpiring here in New Orleans. I am emailing you from a hotel in Dallas where I have evacuated safely from the storm. As you know, it is total devastation in the city. I believe my home has been completely destroyed. At this time, I am not certain, but reports are not looking good. My personal home is situated directly on the water on the westbank of the river. Some areas have 20 feet of water, I am assuming my home is no different. I've only been in it for 3 weeks. Boxes still unpacked.

I am calling on the CU community to help spread awareness of the storm. The entire NO area and Miss gulf coast has been destroyed. We are being blocked from returning to the city - the mayor says for at least a month. We have no idea what we will do - for jobs, money, or shelter. We may locate friends in the area or travel to family's homes if it will truly be that long. The reports you see on CNN or not as bad as what the local feed is showing. I am able to watch local newscasts through a high speed connection in the hotel. People are trapped on their roof tops. Reporters have been shown crying as they tell of people they hear as darkness falls sreaming from their homes, but you can't see them or find them. They say bodies are floating in the streets. Many are dead. Over 20,000 (some reports are conflicting saying 60,000) are in the superdome with no food, water, or sewage. They have declared martial law. People are looting - even one officer was shot in the head by a looter when he attempted to stop him. The reports are that he will survive. It is unspeakable.

NO is like a bowl - the city is below sea level. With other storms like Andrew in FL, the land dried out once the storm passed. In NO, the water is stagnant. It has no where to go. Alligators, snakes, and the like are fighting for the same survival as the people. It is truly catestophic.

Come next week, this tragedy may be a passing story. But this horrible scenario will not be gone. The city needs help. The people need the help of the rest of the nation. Please encourage your leagues and CUs to arrange support efforts, fund raisers, and the like for the citizens of these areas. Call the Red Cross to see what ways your CUs can help. Please post this on any discussion boards that you are a part of. International CU Week is a great opportunity to collect for the storm victims. Matt, as you know, I'm sure you all are preparing for an alternate location for the conference. They say it will be months before power is even restored.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to post again. Take care, please spread the word, and pray for us.

My apologies for this choppy and probably piece mealed message.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thing is BAD.. my cousin is there, well evacuatred to Dallas.. but is assuming she has lost EVERYTHING

DanieLs_4_Ever
School, Friday, is raising money for those hit by the hurricane yes

crickey77
My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone. This is devastating time for many people and we they need to constantly be in our thoughts and prayers

DanieLs_4_Ever
I know it may not be much, but Friday when they take up money, I have $10.12 to give to them in change. smile

manny321
Today the real scope has come. Its a disaster of epic proportions and a national disaster.

One thing gets me mad is that our PM in Canada said "we will send anything you ask for". Most people will say come on in, however the US govt has gave no reply. So don't think we up here don't care whats going on. Its top news covering the majority of the news.

PLus chaos and gang wars are goin on in New Orleans. There been reports of shootings resulting in a few deaths and widespread looting.

Ap reports this...
Storm may be deadliest natural disaster in U.S. since 1906 quake.

bilb
Originally posted by DanieLs_4_Ever
I know it may not be much, but Friday when they take up money, I have $10.12 to give to them in change. smile

Thats awesome.. seriously .. good for you

DanieLs_4_Ever
Originally posted by bilb
Thats awesome.. seriously .. good for you
thumb up Fanks

manny321
This is getting worse. 3 levees are now broken up from 2 and the deaths toll are just shocking at the least.
1,012 (Estimate by FEMA; not verified); 187-237 known direct, 23 indirect

I hope that number by Fema is wrong and it is not from a good source however it looks like it is very possible and thats very concerning.

SlipknoT
Supposedly Alligators, Snakes, and Fire Ants are Eating all the dead bodies and killing People.

manny321
True any people traped especially in rural areas can face a probles like that.
The confirmed death toll is 192-242 known direct, 22 indirect. Note hardly any reports from Some places in Mississipi and LA so sadly but likley it will rise much further. That in itself makes it one of the worst hurricanes in 40+ years. However as the situation becomes more clear in the City Of New Orleans it apears very grim.

manjaro
after watching all the news footage i was almost ashamed to be a black american...nay i say an american period! of course lawlessnes and looting are to be expected in times like these but im wtaching the tv and instead of these idiots looting for stuff like food, medicine, toiletires, diapers and feminine products these dumb asses are running thru the streets with TVs and VCR's and shit....i even saw a teenage girl with like 12 pairs of sneakers around her neck wading thru that nasty ass water.. i was yelling at the screen like WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO WITH ALL THAT YOU F ****ING DUMB ASSES!!

speaking of which where is all the white people? is NO predominatly black or something cuz the only white ppl i see in the tv are the ones in the uniforms helping ppl out. also did anyone hear about that guy who when the storm was still raging he allowed himself and his family to die becuse some black person who lived on the same street had a boat and he was like we rather die than accept help from a black person?,,,,is this true or is it the stuff of urban legends, like that guy who supposedly surfed on debris to saftey on 9/11

manny321
Majority of the people in New Orleans are black. I think 60% or so...

Also according to local media of New Orleans that city like a third world country. Some guy Yelled "its 2005 i thought we were ahead of this" Looting i so rampant that it is being compared to the looting in Baghdad after Saddam fell. Local news is showing disturbing pictures of dead bodies which CNN and other have not shown for some reason.

Fëanor
other than new orleans....any news about mississippi? are there still power outages throughout the state?

Lana
I read in the newspaper today that it's going to be weeks before they have electricity back up down there, and that it's going to be a very long time before people are allowed back in their homes in New Orleans.

Biloxi, Mississippi has more or less been wiped off the map, the city is completely decimated.

crazy
Wow this is a lot more awful then I thought, I will do what I can to help.

bilb
Just another perspective on how this is all being 'handled':

http://hughesforamerica.typepad.com/hughes_for_america/2005/08/august_2930_200.html

KidRock
*waits for thread on how this is all Bush's fault*

bilb
The Hurricane isnt.. the lack of help is

manny321
The lack of help is caused by either the disaster is so large even the US is having problems or they are not doing a good job.

An almost confirmation of deaths tolls in New Orleans.
On September 1 Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco reported that she learned from emergency responders that the death toll would indeed be "in the thousands"
The death toll is from 353-1253. This makes it the worst Hurricane since the FL (Lake Okeechobee) Hurricane in 1928 that killed 1836 people.

Lana
It doesn't help that something like 35% of Louisiana's National Guard is over in Iraq. I'd think they'd be much more needed here.

And it's going to be a very long time before there's any official deathtoll, as the state coroner has to make it official and one person can only do so much so quickly.

I've been hearing on the news that in New Orleans they've had to suspend rescue efforts because of idiots shooting at the helicopters and hijacking rescue boats. The police there have been having to deal with gangs instead of being able to help rescue people.

PVS
Originally posted by Lana
It doesn't help that something like 35% of Louisiana's National Guard is over in Iraq.

excellant point. one i've been making for years. the whole purpose of the national guard is to protect the homeland.
thus the name "national guard" and not "extra army because we've run out of volunteers"

Originally posted by Lana
I've been hearing on the news that in New Orleans they've had to suspend rescue efforts because of idiots shooting at the helicopters and hijacking rescue boats. The police there have been having to deal with gangs instead of being able to help rescue people.

if i was a cop i would shoot these pricks point blank in the face and carry on. illegal yes, but who will ever know? it would be a service to mankind

GCG
The US governement should be accepting International Aid IMMEDIATLY and stop pretending it can cope with the disaster alone.

manny321
It is apparent that the situation is getting worse and worse everyday. They should get help from Canada who has alot of extra resources such as medical supplies and clean water and the PM says just ask what you want you'll get it. Of course its the Federal Govt of the US that decides that situation.

They should get help. Forget getting embarrassed from accepting help from other countries. The situation now itself puts a negative light on the US govt. The worlds knows whats going on in New Orleans.

I think CNN is doing a good job reporting on a disaster for once. They have shown everyone just how bad it is however my friend in baton rouge says local stations from New Orleans are showing many bodies and many disturbing scenes and he says the people are just fuming mad at the govt.

If this continues in New Orleans there will be an armed insurrection in that city comparable to the LA riots.

Lana
There already ARE riots going on in NO, like I said, they've had to suspend rescue missions because of people shooting at helicopters and the police are having to focus on keeping gangs under control instead of being able to concentrate on rescuing people.

I agree that the government needs to ask for help. This disaster isn't something that we're going to be able to handle on our own. It's just too catastrophic, I've been reading that it's the single costliest disaster in the US. I also heard on the news today that there were talks about recategorizing the strength of the hurricane at landfall; the winds were at category 4 level, but the storm surge was far more than a category 5 storm.

GCG
Good point there manny.

The media is being the main spokesman on all the events and its also addressing the different situations, spelling them out one by one to the entire world.

The US helped in the tsunami disaster and its only fair to allow International aid to be reciprocated.

Maestro
Los Angeles Times has an article on conditions in the Louisiana Superdome -

"A 2-year-old girl slept in a pool of urine. Crack vials littered a restroom. Blood stained the walls next to vending machines smashed by teenagers."

A woman says "We pee on the floor. We are like animals". She was given two diapers for her baby, and told to "scrape them off" when they got dirty and reuse them.

Another man says "There is feces all over the place."

Rapes have occurred, including a child.

Backup generators have failed.

Authorities are making a major effort today to get everyone out of the superdome. Hundreds of buses are making their way to get the people.

I wish these people were just space out to different buildings, with so many people in one place, and the current situation they've been placed it, some people are just resorting to messed up things.

hawkwind
okay this is one effed situation.,

Maestro

GCG
yeah well its always the negative stuff that transpires with a bump.

Fox4

Maestro
The thing is some of these people deserve to die, they go shooting helicopters and buses for no reason, so other people in dire need can't get assistance,to be honest I think its a bunch of bullshit and the US should pass a law in congress so that people who are distracting the helicopters by means of shooting should get their asses shot so other idiots are deterred from doing the same thing.

Snoopbert
roll eyes (sarcastic) I can't tell you how many ways that's wrong.

Lana
Yes, because killing people will really help in any way.

Maestro
Meh, it's a perspective on things.

GCG
Originally posted by botankus
"DOT? Got a question for you. We're going to bring down 700,000 automobiles down the Interstates to help with the evacuations that are already moving about 2 MPH. Also, we've got about 200,000 of those inflatable hydro-hover-thingees. Thanks, we'll be on our way!"

As you were so quick to jump at my throat on my point of lack of assistance, well, now what would you have to say for lack of Civil Protection or National Guard to assist the striken displaced and hungry citizens ?

vaya_the_elf
I feel so sorry for all those people. Hopefully they will get everyone out of their soon.

manny321
????????? I have no words to react to maestro.

Forget the cops actually fighting gangs they are locked up in police stations like a medieval fort. A Cnn reporter was on the roof of a police station. He says that it is so bad that some police have deserted. Most to tend to families and most just saying this is to messed up.

Cnn says the situation is so unsafe and so bad that they are getting international reporters who have been in the front lines of wars (Nick Robertson of course) to cover the story. They have only one in the center of that city and he is in a medieval police castle.
BBC has been giving amazing coverage to the rest of the world and they are showing the worst of the worst of the situation.

THe media are doing a great job and sometimes they know more then the Govt!!!

GCG

THe media are doing a great job and sometimes they know more then the Govt!!!

And most probably Government officials are finding media reports far more accurate than The Army's or the Police's Reports. laughing out loud

embarrasment

manny321
I find that more disturbing.

Death tolls are rising. I gave up on giving numbers as there a million conflicting reports. Local stations reporting many many dead while Govt dismiss some reports All i know the number in the thousands is the new reality. Its 453 to ??? killed directly and 335 indirectly. Im quite shocked by the numbers of indirectly killed. Over 100 reported indirectly killing one county in LA.

Direct deaths indicate those caused by the direct effects of the winds, flooding, storm surge or oceanic effects of Katrina. Indirect deaths indicate those caused by hurricane-related accidents (including car accidents), fires or other incidents, as well as cleanup incidents and health issues.

Someone in Mississippi said (not quoting just putting what he mostly said) was volunteering to remove bodies and said 18 bodies were pulled in less then 2.5 hours by himself.

This is getting grim however i think tomorrow may get better unless some major criminal activity starts in LA.

The wait for help has already killed 100 just outside New Orelans.
100 said dead in Chalmette

Thursday, 9:46 p.m.

About 100 people have died at the Chalmette Slip after
being pulled off their rooftops, waiting to be ferried
up the river to the West Bank and bused out of the
flood ravaged area, U.S. Rep. Charles Melancon,
D-Napoleonville, said Thursday.

THey died after being saved from thier homes. That makes many go mad mad By the way this is considered indirect deaths.

bilb
k, this thing has been grating on my nerves all day.. i have NEVER EVER been THIS mad at my government.. this is oput of hand, insane and totally unnecessary...

First off.. THESE PEOPLE NEED HELP!! NOW!! ASAP!! they are reporting that in next 3 days they will have enough troops in.. these people dont have 3 days.. they have already been out of water for 3 days.. one or two more & they are all dead from dehydration

Second - they are using the looters as an excuse to tell the police & army to STAND DOWN.. ok lets see here.. we have cops, army, tanks, bullet proof vests. etc... if the army csnt deal with a few bullets then what the f*ck are they good for? THATS THEIR JOB to deal with it and they told them to STAND DOWN?? what f*cking morons!!

Third - they are sending ships from Norfolk VA to help.. so these ships have to sail from virginia all the way down the east coast around florida and thru the gulf to get there... WE HAVE A BASE IN CUBA!!! Why cant we deploy trrops from there? Well the 'detainees' from Iraq are being held there and are now on a hunger strike because they have been help for THREE AND A HALF YEARS with no charges pressed and no access to representation.. so of course we cant use those troops.. those troops need to stay and guard folks who may or may not be terrorists.. GAHHHHH!!!

when PVS said "excellant point. one i've been making for years. the whole purpose of the national guard is to protect the homeland.
thus the name "national guard" and not "extra army because we've run out of volunteers" - ABSOFRIGGINLUTELY!!

and where is our fearless leader during all of this?? playing guitar & serving birthday cake
http://hughesforamerica.typepad.com/hughes_for_america/2005/08/august_2930_200.html

and now there is only enough gas for 2 more days here.. at $3 a gallon no less (they signed injunctions in TN & GA yesterday since gougers were selling gas at $5.00 a gallon in Atlanta - just one example) .. if nothing else will mobilize the American people to revolt against the govt.. lack of fuel will.. where i live there is NO public transportation.. everyone has to drive everywhere.. work, school, store, EVERYWHERE.. no fuel = no economy AT ALL

I just cannot believe the level of insensitivity and lack of action on teh part of our government.. I am truly embarrased at it all..

GCG
Looks like Bush is gonna have a LOOOOOT of explaining to do about playing guitar and cake. I can actually picture that in a Michael Moore ducumentary !

Someone even said:

"It looks like the most powerful nation on earth can be so eager to control foreign turf yet not so much in their own back-yard"

manjaro
my focus is shifting from sympathy to apathy really f ****ing quick. i mean everyone is hot, tired, sticky, and hungry, yet ppl are still finding the energy to rape ppl! RAPE FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD!!!!!! what the **** is this world coming to?!?

fini
That situation is soo out of hand. I would be SOOOOO ****ing ashamed to call the government in the STates, my leaders. Thank god they are not.

I dont know what they are doing, we home here are frustrated by just looking that the TV. This is the highest level of incompetance I've ever seen.

Ahh and HA USA, look at who is the first country to come and help. FRANCE. Hmm I think WE can see who is the 'bigger' country here now.

I wish that I couldn't watch anymore, but i feel bad by looking at another program. Last night was the first time a news broadcast brought me to tears. It was either MSNBC or FOX news, where one guy was reporting and in the back of him was a man who had collapsed and died while walking and was thus left behind. The reporter was fighting back tears, but I had to leave the room. Even after all the heartbreak of the tsunami, I never went to tears. Its just WAYYYYYY tooo bad there in New orleans.

botankus
Thought I'd post in-between these blame-game posts with a call out to a KMC member. This dude has responded with posts like this during the IVAN thread and the DENNIS thread. Time and time again I responded to how shitty posts like this were...and I was just wondering when we were going to get a post like this from this dude for Hurricane Katrina.

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Man these Hurricanes this year were nothing but dissapointments. I mean what's the death toll, like 40 somthin? I dont know, what a pussy of a hurricane. why dont Hurricanes shoot for triple digets in the death toll? If were gonna get some destruction, i want some mayhem. Not a pussy ass class 2 hurricane.

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
hope we get some good death tolls this year, none of that two digit shit.

Well, you got it buddy. Hope you're happy.

bilb
no expression no expression no expression

Maestro
Apparently the majority of police officers have resigned in New Orleans as they see the fact that since they have no homes left, there is no point going back to save lives as they don't want to go back and get shot by criminals as they no longer need to risk their lives being in a place where they don't wanna be in. Well in all fairness, who would want to be in New Orleans at the moment anyway?

debbiejo
Doubt it will ever be the same...Glad I saw it once....French Quarter was kinda cool...All gone now....

PVS
again, wouldnt it be nice if we had a national guard?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>