Can self-preservation be considered selfishness?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wickerman
Like the title says.....can self-preservation be considered selfishness? And if so, is that even normal?

What i'm trying to say is:

There's an obvious difference between trying to advance in social status and the social hierarchy so that your current and future family would live a good life normally, and stepping on other people's lives to reach that status.

Where's the line drawn? The line that makes the difference between self-preservation and selfishness? Some might say it's subsistence.....but is it really so? Sure.....living on the verge of subsistence might imply your lack of selfishness, but does it assure self-preservation? And if you think not, then how far CAN you go with self-preservation before you reach selfishness?

Does donating money make a difference? It's a clear evidence of lack of selfishness, but then again.....it harms your self-preservation. So......which one is it?

Where's the line? Help me find it please.

~wickerman~

Bardock42
It's all the same basic Thing....even what we call unselfish is in fact the same thing.....

whobdamandog
Originally posted by Wickerman
Like the title says.....can self-preservation be considered selfishness? And if so, is that even normal?

What i'm trying to say is:

There's an obvious difference between trying to advance in social status and the social hierarchy so that your current and future family would live a good life normally, and stepping on other people's lives to reach that status.

Where's the line drawn? The line that makes the difference between self-preservation and selfishness? Some might say it's subsistence.....but is it really so? Sure.....living on the verge of subsistence might imply your lack of selfishness, but does it assure self-preservation? And if you think not, then how far CAN you go with self-preservation before you reach selfishness?

Does donating money make a difference? It's a clear evidence of lack of selfishness, but then again.....it harms your self-preservation. So......which one is it?

Where's the line? Help me find it please.

~wickerman~

Question: Is self perservation..selfishness?

Answer: An absolute "yes." The word self comes before perservation. Anything that strictly pertains to the benefit of one's self...is in essence "selfishness."

So I guess the real question is.. Is it necessary to be a bit selfish in this world in order to survive?

Answer: No.

If all individuals in this world would put the needs of others before their own..then the popular ideal of "perservation of self" would become extinct.

In this world, whether an individual be rich or poor..most will not adhere to the simple guidelines which embody "selflessness." So unfortunately, the general consensus among most is that in order to "survive", one has to be somewhat consumed in themself. I believe this ideal is embodied in the principle of "Survival of the fittest."

The goal of "self perservation" is a moot one. The end "reward" for those who "survive" in this world is the same for those who do not. Or in other words..

"It is a tale told by an idiot..full of sound and fury..signifying nothing..."

--Macbeth

Fishy
Originally posted by Bardock42
It's all the same basic Thing....even what we call unselfish is in fact the same thing.....

He is right, whether you piss millions of people off when trying to become the best or none it doesn't matter its just as selfish.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.