Why all the Sentry hate?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
What's up with this non-stop hate towards Sentry?
Not even just this forum, it's every single comic forum out there.

I just read a hate message on a Superman forum saying "I hate the Sentry, he isn't easy to relate to like Superman!".......what the holy hell??

I mean, we don't even know who Sentry is yet, hell, Sentry could be a brainwashed Thor for all we know.

So, given the fact know one knows anything about him, how is it possible to hate on him unless you have alterior motives?

xmarksthespot
Sentry hasn't given me any particular reason to hate the character or love the character.
Superman easy to relate to? huh

Whirlysplatt
I think its cause Sentry seems a bit of a stupid character, his mini series was all derivation and hype. The made up back story ripped off Miracleman "A dream of flying so much". Theres so little original about him and he has no history so Marvel tried to make one up. Its like the House of ideas has none.

olympian
There no reason to hate or like. So far hes hype. Same with Prime Superman. All made up story and nothing we can see about it.

Lets see what will be coming next for him for a clear jugdment.

Scoobless
Originally posted by long pig
I mean, we don't even know who Sentry is yet, hell, Sentry could be a brainwashed Thor for all we know.

yeah ....he looks like Thor.... and can control light.... he flies without a hammer..... hmmmmmm

if you were to give him access to the speedforce he would be very similar to the greatest hero this forum has ever seen

stick out tongue

those dang Marvel writers...... stealing my ideas again!

Ihatewhirly!
Its because of that prick Whirlysplatt?

Scoobless
Originally posted by Scoobless
yeah ....he looks like Thor.... and can control light.... he flies without a hammer..... hmmmmmm

if you were to give him access to the speedforce he would be very similar to the greatest hero this forum has ever seen

stick out tongue

Draco69
Alot of people hate Sentry for two reasons:

1) He's a blatant and obvious Superman-ripoff

2) He's unbeatable. And ridiculously overpowered. A character THAT powerful is not an interesting character. And his "I can't use my powers or a big shadow will haunt me" is as hackneyed as Gladiator's confidence.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Draco69
Alot of people hate Sentry for two reasons:

1) He's a blatant and obvious Superman-ripoff

2) He's unbeatable. And ridiculously overpowered. A character THAT powerful is not an interesting character. And his "I can't use my powers or a big shadow will haunt me" is as hackneyed as Gladiator's confidence.
So truesmile

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Ihatewhirly!
Its because of that prick Whirlysplatt?

Scoobs it's between your posts! Is it you doing this? Its just a question and not an accusation!

If it is, its OTT mate.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
Scoobs it's between your posts! Is it you doing this? Its just a question and not an accusation!

If it is, its OTT mate.

interesting reasoning..... are you a fan of CSI or CSI Miami?

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Whirlysplatt
interesting reasoning..... are you a fan of CSI or CSI Miami?

roll eyes (sarcastic)

No - is it you? Well you won't tell me anyway if it is.

long pig
Good answers.

I'll be damned but I thought I was gonna get flamed, but you bastards gave actual, educated and informed answers.

Spelljammer
Well to tell you Stan Lee thought him up when he was first developing comics, thought "uhh, this isn't going to fly" (Heh, fly..) and discarded the notion of a Sentry for over 60 years only to brush off the dust and give it a shot simply because Marvel was going bankrupt..

THAT's how bad he is..

BlaqChaos
You don't really believe that Spelljammer, do you?

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Spelljammer
Well to tell you Stan Lee thought him up when he was first developing comics, thought "uhh, this isn't going to fly" (Heh, fly..) and discarded the notion of a Sentry for over 60 years only to brush off the dust and give it a shot simply because Marvel was going bankrupt..

THAT's how bad he is..

inaccurate but amusing......... to the extreme!

golem370
What does Sentry look like? and What are his powers?

DigiMark007

stick out tongue

That cheating loser?! Pfft!

Actually, Sentry resembles Apollo more than Thor (imo)...just give him some magical powers and you'd see the 'True Greatest Hero' ever witnessed by man. You and your rigged voting just kept him from the title. stick out tongue

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by DigiMark007
That cheating loser?! Pfft!

Actually, Sentry resembles Apollo more than Thor (imo)...just give him some magical powers and you'd see the 'True Greatest Hero' ever witnessed by man. You and your rigged voting just kept him from the title. stick out tongue

His backstory is such a rip off of Alan Moores "A Dream of Flying" and steals some elements from John Byrnes next men.

Which reminds me if you like the Authority check out 2112 by Byrne (he may be an arse as far as continuity, but over the years he has done some clever stuff) you will see where the idea came from (maybe confused )

Keep the faith smile

Stay Whirly rock

manjaro
its just cuz sentry is just coming back. you see sentry is like a "hyperion" kinda charcter.....meaning that just like hyperion, he has been sitting on the marvel back burner for years and almost forgotten about. in fact, it has been many many years since sentry was last seen in comics. so much so that only a select group of ppl even remembered him. so the first thing the new writers did was explain where he was all this time...instead of just starting over his canon and thurstng him into the marvel universe(brilliant if you ask me)

so i think if given time the ppl will warm up to him, maybe not like supes but he's not a hatable guy(IMO) just a tragic character, and i like tragic charcters with god like pwers, cuz they are the ones who are beyond the concept of good and evil. ppl will just have to hope that they take thier sides.

Whirlysplatt

manjaro
ummm my point exactly i guess. :/ this is just an attempt to refresh him without having to explain all the back story stuff. intsead of going thru the drama of finding out where he came from and all that he was just thrown in and it was like" he killed his wife and turned himself in, and he's been in prison all this time." and ppl are like oohhh ok, and its left at that. so i say just give him some time to make up his mind if he wants to be a hero or not.......you know cuz every returning hero in a tattered costume has to go thru some inner conflict. PIS at its finest but im ok with this one. big grin

grey fox
http://www.newsarama.com/DC/Superman/Kerschl-Superman.jpg + http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/EYW/EYW226/e000319.jpg = http://www.marvelmasterworks.com/marveltrades/images/sentry.jpg

Ron Jeremy
I am really enjoying the Sentry mini after all - go figure smile

roughrider
The more I read about his backstory, the bigger that 'ripoff' label sits on the Sentry's chest. It's Superman and Mr. Incredible and the forgotten memory ideas from Miracleman and early Thor. The harder Marvel tries, the more I feel Sentry being shoved down my throat, when we should try to grow to like him. And the costume is blah. Christ.
Thor can't return too soon for me.

yahman
Originally posted by roughrider
The more I read about his backstory, the bigger that 'ripoff' label sits on the Sentry's chest. It's Superman and Mr. Incredible and the forgotten memory ideas from Miracleman and early Thor. The harder Marvel tries, the more I feel Sentry being shoved down my throat, when we should try to grow to like him. And the costume is blah. Christ.

Could someone explain to me why Sentry got all this power from a chemical serum ???????? What the hell did it do to him ? How does being out of sync with time give him his powers ?

Ron Jeremy
Originally posted by yahman
Could someone explain to me why Sentry got all this power from a chemical serum ???????? What the hell did it do to him ? How does being out of sync with time give him his powers ?

no one understands this bit Yahs it bullshit smile

Ron Jeremy
Originally posted by roughrider

A lot of truth in this their is - Yoda

that aside I am enjoying the mini

yahman
Originally posted by Ron Jeremy
no one understands this bit Yahs it bullshit smile

I smell Retcon !!!!!!!! Well i hope so anyway !

Ron Jeremy
I smell Retcon !!!!!!!! Well i hope so anyway !

I think its supposed to be Golden ageish bullshit and yes I see some kind of update happening - its Marvel after all, isn't it.

yahman
I think its supposed to be Golden ageish bullshit and yes I see some kind of update happening - its Marvel after all, isn't it.

laughing laughing

Funniest thing i've heard today ! laughing out loud

roughrider
A lot of truth in this their is - Yoda

that aside I am enjoying the mini

Well, we'll see. After all this hype, Marvel isn't going to back down and get rid of him. Let's see how he evolves.
Maybe they should take a page out of the 'Supreme' title, when Liefeld brought in Alan Moore to write it. Moore might be amused at writing Sentry - like a character he's written before. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Piedmon
I never read Miracleman. I like the Sentry because it's interesting to see how the Superman archetype fits into the Marvel Universe, which has never had anything like that before. (Thor may be similar power-wise, but he's so dissimilar to Superman in personality that it's no comparison.)

I loved Paul Jenkin and Jae Lee's miniseries, and the new one with JRJR is good so far too. (Unlike others, I think JRJR is a good fit for the hyper-stylized stories the Sentry is built for, and I like his design on the Sentry's gauntlets.)

The Sentry may be cast from the Superman mold, but he's a much more realistic look at the character, in my opinion. Pretend you had the senses to detect someone in distress anywhere on earth, but of course you can't be everywhere at once--who do you save? When do you take time off for yourself, condemning people you could have rescued? How could a character like that NOT have an overwhelming dark side?

A great new character, in my opinion. The Sentry, unlike most new Marvel characters, has been lucky enough to land a high-profile position in the continuity. Others (Toxin, Gravity, etc.) have not been so fortunate. Despite my quickly-petrifying cynicism with the mainstream universes, I'm hoping against hope that the Sentry is just the herald of new characters to come, perhaps putting an end to the stayed and cyclic existence of characters that were once so dynamic.

Draco69
Originally posted by Piedmon

The Sentry may be cast from the Superman mold,

More like IS. He's a complete plagarist.

but he's a much more realistic look at the character, in my opinion.

Your opinion is noted. But SERIOUSLY, more realistic? Hah! Drinking a magic potion that gives you unlimited energies and the power of a million exploding suns, AND having a hard-light construct that occasionally comes out to wreak havoc is more realistic? No way in hell.

retend you had the senses to detect someone in distress anywhere on earth, but of course you can't be everywhere at once--who do you save?

Again. This is a delibrate plagarism of Superman's persona. Heard of super-hearing? Telescopic vision. The guy can hear atoms scarpe together for god's sake. People in Marvel act like this a new take on the Superman persona. People, it ain't. Superman goes through exactly the same thing everyday. Except he holds up better than the other pansy.

When do you take time off for yourself, condemning people you could have rescued? How could a character like that NOT have an overwhelming dark side?

Again. Superman. The themes you mentioned is purely and abudantly Superman mythology.

roughrider
Marvel already has a character motivated by guilt, wanting to do more somehow yet his personal life slips through his hands - Spider Man.

Piedmon
More like IS. He's a complete plagarist.

No he ain't. Supes is a boyscout. The Sentry's got ****ing Multiple Personality Disorder.

I meant realistic as in psychologically, as a character. I don't give a damn what pseudoscientific bullcrap they put into the backstory. I don't care how people measure up in feats. When I try to decide if I like a character or a story, my first thought isn't "HOW DOES THIS STACK UP AGAINST SUPERMAN? WHAT DOES HE LIFT? HAS ANYONE TRIED TO CLOCK HIS TELEPORT RAPIDITY THROUGH A CONGEALING HEMIGLOBULAR MATRIX OF INVERSED TIME BLAH BLAH BLAH" I just ask if it's a good story and a relatable character.

I know what Superman can do. I love the character, but he's totally unrealistic. Here's a guy who can hear kids in Africa screaming for their mother, dead from AIDS, to get up and feed them. Here's a guy who can hear Mary Lee in Deluth County getting beaten by her redneck boyfriend and getting ignored by social services. Superman can, while having a picnic on the Daily Planet roof with Lois Lane, hear some poor kid surfing in Australia get mauled by a shark. Or a woman in Johannasburg getting raped.

The fact that Superman ISN'T messed up makes him an unrealistic character. Sentry inverses that--he can hear all this, and to deal with it he delegates the decisionmaking to his computer C.L.O.C.K. Here's a guy who has the potential to save everyone but can't, and he has to live with that. Superman has NEVER seriously addressed this. If he did, he'd be just as messed up and psychologically damaged as The Sentry is, and he's not.

You know what? It doesn't matter. Why do we have Superman AT ALL, when the guy is a big fat ripoff of Jesus? Sent from above to protect humanity, died and returned to save us? Didn't we all hear this story in Sunday School? You think you can just give the guy a cape and call it new?

NOTHING is new. And if you get hung up on that, then you've got Simpsons Did It syndrome.

Character bashing in itself is absurd. There are characters I completely loathe, but I don't waste time dwelling on it. If you don't like the Sentry (or in my case Psylocke and Cable, the OP-bitches) then don't bother with them. It doesn't help to just knock the characters and irritate their fans.

Draco69

No he ain't. Supes is a boyscout. The Sentry's got ****ing Multiple Personality Disorder.

Uh. Yes. He is. Yellow paint + Superman + a funny shadow = Sentry. Nothing distinct at all. Read ahead for just how wrong you are....

Originally posted by Piedmon I meant realistic as in psychologically, as a character. I don't give a damn what pseudoscientific bullcrap they put into the backstory. I don't care how people measure up in feats. When I try to decide if I like a character or a story, my first thought isn't "HOW DOES THIS STACK UP AGAINST SUPERMAN? WHAT DOES HE LIFT? HAS ANYONE TRIED TO CLOCK HIS TELEPORT RAPIDITY THROUGH A CONGEALING HEMIGLOBULAR MATRIX OF INVERSED TIME BLAH BLAH BLAH" I just ask if it's a good story and a relatable character.

That's fine and all good.

I know what Superman can do. I love the character, but he's totally unrealistic. Here's a guy who can hear kids in Africa screaming for their mother, dead from AIDS, to get up and feed them. Here's a guy who can hear Mary Lee in Deluth County getting beaten by her redneck boyfriend and getting ignored by social services. Superman can, while having a picnic on the Daily Planet roof with Lois Lane, hear some poor kid surfing in Australia get mauled by a shark. Or a woman in Johannasburg getting raped.

And he suffers through this every single day. He can't save everyone. He deserves a life too. THAT's why (if you actually read his comics) he focuses his hearing on Lois' heart. To block out the noise. Superman saves people when he can. But he will not and cannot let the people depend on him for situations they can handle themselves and can handle themselves. A giant alien spacecraft attacking Metropolis? Superman will handle it. A murderer killing his wife? That's up to mankind. Piedmon, there have been TONS of issues addressing this moral dilemma. So many issues, the dilemma has grown damn right stale. He recognizes his limitations but he also realizes that his limitations are nearly microscopic in comparision to others. He can't do EVERYTHING but he can damn near get close to doing EVERYTHING. But Superman believes himself not to be a god or some angel. But an inspiration for a better tomorrow.

As Superman said, "mankind has its own mountain to climb. We're here to catch them if they fall" No quote in existance perpetuates the EXACT idealism of Superman.

The fact that Superman ISN'T messed up makes him an unrealistic character. Sentry inverses that--he can hear all this, and to deal with it he delegates the decisionmaking to his computer C.L.O.C.K. Here's a guy who has the potential to save everyone but can't, and he has to live with that. Superman has NEVER seriously addressed this. If he did, he'd be just as messed up and psychologically damaged as The Sentry is, and he's not.

Again. Absolutely not. Seriously, there are TONS of comic issues addressing this problem. Hell, one time he got so fed up with all the noise and suffering he took over the damn planet. The JLA brought him back to his senses with Lois Lane's emotional support. Superman may seem sane. But he's not. Not really. Everything the Sentry feels, Superman feels tenfold. Why? Because not only does he have to watch out for planet Earth, the entire damn universe depends on him from time to time. The point you're missing is LOIS. Lois Lane is the ONLY thing keeping Superman sane. That's why Mr. Mxy explictly stated that Lois Lane is the 2nd most important being in the universe. Why? If something should ever happen to Lois Lane, Superman will snap. He'd go mad. Without some focal point to harness his hearing and sight on, he'd go nuts. Seriously, if you actually read his comics you'd know that Superman suffers from numerous psychological problems. Perfectionism. Obsessive Compulsiveness. Neutroticsm. A form of bipolar disorder. It's not stated explicted. But if you read his books, his mental state clearly is very fragile and entirely dependant on ONE woman. Which is why Lois Lane dying would make a GREAT storyline.

You know what? It doesn't matter. Why do we have Superman AT ALL, when the guy is a big fat ripoff of Jesus? Sent from above to protect humanity, died and returned to save us? Didn't we all hear this story in Sunday School? You think you can just give the guy a cape and call it new?

Actually he's more like Vishnu but whatever....

And no, there ARE traces of Jesus in him but it's almost entirely Judaic in nature. He was made to be a Jewish archetype.

NOTHING is new. And if you get hung up on that, then you've got Simpsons Did It syndrome.

I'm hardly hung up. I'm just a little peeved that people are saying Sentry is a completely new twist on Superman when it's NOT. Certainly not enough people read his comics and in the worst way do NOT understand his character. It really annoys me that people cling to this 1950's version of Superman when his character has GREATLY expanded as of thus. But people won't ever know nor will they have have the desire to know...

Sentry is a blatant rip-off of Superman. But his personal problems and moral dilemmas isn't a complete twist on Superman. They're identical. And people don't seem to realize this...

And South Park is WAY more original than Simpsons!

Character bashing in itself is absurd. There are characters I completely loathe, but I don't waste time dwelling on it. If you don't like the Sentry (or in my case Psylocke and Cable, the OP-bitches) then don't bother with them. It doesn't help to just knock the characters and irritate their fans.

I'm not a fan of him but I don't really hate him. To be honest I'm indifferent to him. I couldn't care either way. What REALLY irritates me is when people say Sentry is more realistic than Superman or if they LOVE Sentry for certain reasons and HATE Superman for the EXACT same reasons because they don't understand Superman's character.
[

Piedmon
Uh. Yes. He is. Yellow paint + Superman + a funny shadow = Sentry. Nothing distinct at all. Read ahead for just how wrong you are....

The more I think about it, the less like Superman Sentry is. I disagree that Lois is the ONLY thing keeping Superman sane.... I think, irrespective of realism, that he's a stronger person than that. He doesn't need crutches. But she does help. By contrast, Sentry's wife Linda (I think that was it) actually HINDERS him. She's made it very clear she's in love with The Sentry, not Bob Reynolds (and when she forgot Reynolds was Sentry, their marriage was in dire straits.) That brings me into my next point....

Clark Kent is a fabricated identity for Kal-El/Superman. Clark Kent is Superman acting. Clark Kent is, to quote Torantino, "Superman's take on the rest of humanity."

The Sentry is a personality created by Bob Reynolds. Bob was born Bob. He had to become the Sentry--that right there greatly shifts the dynamic away from Superman. Superman is an alien, an archetypical overbeing of sorts who descends TO us, humanity. Sentry is one of us, a human, who has made that ascent to become the superheroic overbeing.

Anyway, from what you yourself just said, Superman is adjusted to the problem of being confronted with everyone's sufferings. He's got Lois, he's dealing with it. Rob Reynolds is NOT. That's why The Void is still there, and that's why Reynolds' instability makes him as much potential threat as savior.

If Superman thought that his powers could present a danger to the people of earth, I don't doubt he'd sacrifice them for the greater good. He's virtuous like that. Sentry had that very choice and chose to keep his powers. Why? He didn't do it for the people he protects. He did it because he likes being a superhero, he likes having powers. He is the Sentry out of a selfish desire, not altruism.

Didn't they just have one where she vanished and Superman couldn't figure out how to bring her back, causing him to go almost crazy for a while? Anyway, I'm sure you could point to at least one point in the various decades of his existence where that has been done. So why should I want to read it when I can scour out the original? Follow your own logic through to its end point, and why should they even keep writing Superman? We've seen him turn evil, we've seen him lose people close to him, we've seen every type of story you could possibly do with the character. Why not close the book on him?

Please don't get into semantics, life is too short.

Maybe not a complete twist, but 90 degrees at least, for the reasons I've just described and more. Besides, even if he was a Superman "clone"--maybe Paul Jenkins has a Superman story to tell that DC would never let him get away with? Dr. Manhattan wasn't Superman, but we all knew what he was meant to stand for, and that's what gave his role in Watchmen its bite. Paul Jenkins isn't Brian Bendis, and neither of them are Brian Azzarello, Greg Rucka, or Joe Schuster. Any of these guys could write a story about the exact same character and they'd be totally different stories, because all people are unique, and we each of us have our own slightly different angle to view Superman.

You're making quite an argument about something you're indifferent too.... I like Superman AND Sentry, I don't see why they can't coexist and compliment each other in the grand narrative of comic history.

Draco69
Clark Kent is a fabricated identity for Kal-El/Superman. Clark Kent is Superman acting. Clark Kent is, to quote Torantino, "Superman's take on the rest of humanity."

I love Kill Bill by the way. But he was specifically refering to a long past dead Superman of the past. Superman is NOT Kal-El. He's Clark Kent. He's a Kansas farmboy who just happens to be A Kryptonian alien. Pre-Crisis (Christopher Reeve) Superman was in favor of nature. THIS Superman however is in favor of NUTURE. Clark Kent is not a fabrication. It's who he is. Who he was raised to be. And the moral foundation of what Superman is today. Clark Kent is the REAL Superman. Without the cape. Without the emblem. It's the persona where he can just lie back and act himself. Again, you misunderstand Superman's personality.

The Sentry is a personality created by Bob Reynolds.

Superman is also a personality created by Clark Kent. A combination of his Earthly and Kryptonian ideals. A marriage of the epitome of human success and Kryptonian preservation.

Bob was born Bob.

Superman was not born Kal-El. Superman was born Clark Kent. Kal-El merely exists in name and homage to the past. Everything Superman is, everything Superman believes in, his ideals, his beliefs, his "Boy Scoutism" is purely and utterly Clark Kent. He was RAISED to be a farmer. He was raised to be a successor to the farm despite his powers.

He had to become the Sentry--that right there greatly shifts the dynamic away from Superman.

No. It doesn't. The dynamic you speak of doesn't exist. You're relying on the dead past, my friend. Clark Kent had also had to become Superman. Did he want to fly around in a cape, saving damsels in distress at first? Hell no, he wanted nothing to do with it. But when he discovered the truth about his heritage and where he came from, he realized he had a higher purpose. He CAN'T just let his powers to come to waste. You see Superman could have NEVER come into being without the marriage of human idealism and Kryptonian preservation. Without this defining moment, Superman would have never come to past. As was shown numerous times in Action Comics...

Superman is an alien, an archetypical overbeing of sorts who descends TO us, humanity.

No, no, no. Superman IS an alien who does not merely descend TO us. He GREW with us. He was just a babe. All his mannerisms, idealisms, cultural awarnesses, and sense of right and wrong all stem from us. WE raised Superman. WE in a sense gave birth to Superman. Truth, justice, and the American way. He "ascented" when he vowed to prevent what happened to Krypton from happening to Earth. Again, the marriage of Human and Kryptonian.

Sentry is one of us, a human, who has made that ascent to become the superheroic overbeing.

As shown above, that's exactly what Superman did as well...

Anyway, from what you yourself just said, Superman is adjusted to the problem of being confronted with everyone's sufferings. He's got Lois, he's dealing with it. Rob Reynolds is NOT. That's why The Void is still there, and that's why Reynolds' instability makes him as much potential threat as savior.

Duly noted. And quite possibly the only minor divergance in the Superman mythology, the Sentry is portraying.

If Superman thought that his powers could present a danger to the people of earth, I don't doubt he'd sacrifice them for the greater good. He's virtuous like that.

Which is why he makes several characters like Batman keep kryptonite and other "anti-Superman" plans to prevent his powers representing a threat. And they do. Everyday. Superman continually struggles to limit his powers to a very base level. Which is why he has trouble with losers like Toyman. He can crush the planet with his bare hands. Burn the atmosphere to sparse molecules. Render the planet as lifeless as it's moon. Superman IS a danger to the world. And while people love him, they will not hestiate to turn him the moment he makes a wrong move. They fear him. And yet they need him. He keeps his powers because the world would be ****ed without him. He'd love to give up his powers. But he can't.

Sentry had that very choice and chose to keep his powers. Why? He didn't do it for the people he protects. He did it because he likes being a superhero, he likes having powers. He is the Sentry out of a selfish desire, not altruism.

I disagree. Sentry is clearly under the pressure of saving the world thrice every hour. He has a dark personality that stalks his mind. He "feels the weight of the world on his shoulders". And does he give up his powers despite the danger to his own life and the world? No. Because the world needs him. They need him to prevent world disasters no single superhero except him can handle. See the similarities?

Didn't they just have one where she vanished and Superman couldn't figure out how to bring her back, causing him to go almost crazy for a while? Anyway, I'm sure you could point to at least one point in the various decades of his existence where that has been done.

No. Hardly. You didn't read the story correctly. Albeit it was confusing... Anyhoo, Superman (due to the self-repression of building the Vanishing Machine) subconciously knew that Lois was still alive and well. Which is why he didn't go completely nuts. He WAS unstable but it's not anywhere near the crazyiness that Superman would experience if Lois was actually dead.

So why should I want to read it when I can scour out the original? Follow your own logic through to its end point, and why should they even keep writing Superman? We've seen him turn evil, we've seen him lose people close to him, we've seen every type of story you could possibly do with the character. Why not close the book on him?

Pfft. Please. Let's look at your sig character for example. Wolverine's character has been shredded, eaten, microwaved as leftovers, and whatever scraps that still remain have been turned into soup. There's nothing left him. Ooh. "I can't remember my tortured past." Been done a hundred times. He remembers his past now. That bites the dust. Marriage? Failed twice. Kids? One dead, one a clone and one is god knows where. Romance? Wolverine has ****ed nearly every female in existance. There's no suspense anymore. Wolverine is dead as a character. So is Spider-Man. So is Batman. And yet we keep reading these comics because they all possess timeless elements that keep us coming back. Sentry doesn't have timeless elements of his own to speak of. Which is apparent by his low sales of his comics and the clamoring of many Avenger-fans to ditch his butt and bring back Thor. Believe it or not, Sentry is only temporary. He's a fad character. Like Apoc or Prometheus. They're big for a few weeks but they die out in favor of the originals. Sentry doesn't have any apparent longitivity. He'll finally go crazy later on in a year or so. Another Onslaught-esque saga. Lots of useless heroes die. And everything is well again.

Please don't get into semantics, life is too short.

Please don't be pompous in grammatical structure and arguement analysis. Especially considering the lighteness of the subject... erm

Maybe not a complete twist, but 90 degrees at least, for the reasons I've just described and more.

Your reasons have been rebutted on count of your complete lack of Superman's characters. It's more like a 178 degrees. The 2 degrees go to his way of getting his powers and his Void personality. Only new material. And damn boring at that.

Besides, even if he was a Superman "clone"--maybe Paul Jenkins has a Superman story to tell that DC would never let him get away with?

Thing is. The story has been done. Lots of times. Especially in alternate universes...

Red Son Superman anybody? The Nail?

Dr. Manhattan wasn't Superman, but we all knew what he was meant to stand for, and that's what gave his role in Watchmen its bite.

Yes. Dr. Manhattan is a Superman clone. But at least they gave him some original twists on his character without completely plagarizing his character.

Paul Jenkins isn't Brian Bendis, and neither of them are Brian Azzarello, Greg Rucka, or Joe Schuster. Any of these guys could write a story about the exact same character and they'd be totally different stories, because all people are unique, and we each of us have our own slightly different angle to view Superman.

They could post different angles all they want, the picture of Superman remains the same. You're reaching.

Draco69
You're making quite an argument about something you're indifferent too....

I said I was indifferent to Sentry as a character because I recognize that his longetivity as a long-term character is about the same as a condom in Anna Nicole Smith's pocketbook.

I am NOT indifferent to the complete misunderstand of Superman's personality and character, as well as how Sentry is ANYTHING but a twist on Superman. He's Superman with yellow paint and an imaginary foe.

I like Superman AND Sentry, I don't see why they can't coexist and compliment each other in the grand narrative of comic history.

They CAN coexist. I never said they couldn't. But Sentry is by no means a new take on Superman. They're essentially to the bare bones the same character. And as shown in various polls and comic book forums, the Sentry's complete lack of originality spurs off alot of comic fans, both Marvel and DC alike. Marvel fans don't like him because he's too much like Superman and they don't want a Superman in Marvel. DC fans don't like him because he's a complete rip-off of Superman and they already have a Superman. Thus by such a general consensus, I predict Sentry has a very short lifespan. All hype, really.

Adam Warlock
I said I was indifferent to Sentry as a character because I recognize that his longetivity as a long-term character is about the same as a condom in Anna Nicole Smith's pocketbook.

I am NOT indifferent to the complete misunderstand of Superman's personality and character, as well as how Sentry is ANYTHING but a twist on Superman. He's Superman with yellow paint and an imaginary foe.

Sentry is more like a Superman/Green Lantern/Martian Manhunter Amaglam that looks like Thor/Quasar.

Imaginary foes that can whoop the asses of other superheroes?

Has Supes consciousness ever manifested this way? The creation of a completely different semi-sentient being out of pure thought? Seems interesting enough for me.

New take on Superman? No.

He's in a class of his own.

roughrider
Yes. Dr. Manhattan is a Superman clone. But at least they gave him some original twists on his character without completely plagarizing his character.

To be exact, Dr. Manhattan was inspired by that Atom character from the old Gold Key comics. All of the major Watchmen characters had direct links to older ones. But he filled the same power void as Superman did in 1980's stories - that being a nuclear deterrent working for the U.S. Goverment.

Next Venom_girl
Reasons to hate the Sentry:
1. A blatant superman rip-off, right down to the big S.
2. If he's meant to be the brooding type why does he wear cheery yellow colors?
3. He is Bendis' deus ex machina device especially since...
He killed off Carnage-- Such waisted potential it could have made for such a badass storyline if Spider-man or one of the symbiote "family" was forced to do it.
(For people wanted to know what Sentry looked like...)

hoorayforpeepee
**** all this ripoff bullshit. anybody who occupies the superman position will be called a rippoff, ie someone who is the most powerful and the most looked up to.

Adam Warlock
Hmmmm.. Sentry seems to kill without remorse as he did Carnage and as he did Attuma here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/sifu1/SENTRY001006_400.jpg

An ultra powerful hero with no remorse whatsoever on his consequences of killing bad guys. Cap should be keeping an eye on him instead of watching Wolverine and Ronin.

Oh, Carnage and Attuma got what was coming to them.

Superman rip off?

No.

Sentry seems to be a character whose powers are yet to be defined.

But, so far, we've seen hard light constructs(psionic creation- The Void), super strength, invulnerability, telepathy(As in calming the Hulk and implanting memories into his writer's head), flight, energy absorption(Thunderbolts #14- Sentry was stated to be able to draw energy from anywhere and everywhere).

Hmmmm... And we haven't even seen him get serious yet.

Interesting character indeed.

Adam Warlock
A better pic of the Sentry

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/sifu1/SENTRY001_cov.jpg

Another:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/sifu1/SENTRY001015_100DW.jpg

Ron Jeremy
Originally posted by Adam Warlock
Hmmmm.. Sentry seems to kill without remorse as he did Carnage and as he did Attuma here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/sifu1/SENTRY001006_400.jpg

An ultra powerful hero with no remorse whatsoever on his consequences of killing bad guys. Cap should be keeping an eye on him instead of watching Wolverine and Ronin.

Superman rip off?

No.

Sentry seems to be a character whose powers are yet to be defined.

But, so far, we've seen hard light constructs(psionic creation- The Void), super strength, invulnerability, telepathy(As in calming the Hulk and implanting memories into his writer's head), flight, energy absorption(Thunderbolts #14- Sentry was stated to be able to draw energy from anywhere and everywhere).

Hmmmm... And we haven't even seen him get serious yet.

Interesting character indeed.

Soounds like Supreme or Miracleman - Actually I think the Sentry mini is very good.

yahman
"I meant realistic as in psychologically, as a character. I don't give a damn what pseudoscientific bullcrap they put into the back story. I don't care how people measure up in feats. When I try to decide if I like a character or a story, my first thought isn't "HOW DOES THIS STACK UP AGAINST SUPERMAN? WHAT DOES HE LIFT? HAS ANYONE TRIED TO CLOCK HIS TELEPORT RAPIDITY THROUGH A CONGEALING HEMIGLOBULAR MATRIX OF INVERSED TIME BLAH BLAH BLAH" I just ask if it's a good story and a relatable character. "

I must drive you insane ..... but in all honesty i think you are on the wrong forum, and maybe the wrong type of literature ! Have you ever tried Dickens ?

olympian
The only thing i hate about him its the design.

Its not creative.

Other than that hes not bad.

DarkCrawler
Have you ever tried Dickens ?

Di...dick-ens? confused

Is that a new Wolverine miniseries or something?

yahman
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Di...dick-ens? confused

Is that a new Wolverine miniseries or something?

No !!!!!!!!!!! Put i know Namor has a staring role ! mad

DarkCrawler
No !!!!!!!!!!! Put i know Namor has a staring role ! mad

Namor!? Whaaa? eek!

Next Venom_girl
Hey Fish, go flame elswehere. :rollseyes"
I don't disagree I just would have liked to have seen Spider-man, Venom, Toxin or all of the above gang up on him and finish him off. That would have been cool and might have actually meant something storywise.

Sentry = meh.
I don't like Superman because he's overpowered and a dick. The same goes for his Marvel ripoff on principle. stick out tongue

Beyonder
Dear Santa,

I've been a good boy, all I want is for Sentry to die...no, no. I have a good reason for such a wish.

Here's list of reason's why Sentry sucks & therefore should be killed off Santa:

1] His ugly costume. Yellow? And with that belt, he looks like he just came from the WWE.

2] Even a bigger d!ck than Superman - does his S logo have to be that big? Whose he trying to impress?

3] Too powerful without good reason for so. Serums? At least Supes an alien while Surfer was changed by Galactus.

4] Gladiator looks better. Gladiator > Supes > Sentry

This is all I want for Christmas,

Here's hoping a I'd find under my tree "The death of Sentry" issue this year.

joesha28
I hope Sentry gets a face-off with Classic Thor, it will be a marvel fight of this decade.

Lucid Lui
It is crazy the amount of Sentry bashing you'll find pretty much every comic related place you go on the net. I don't think i've ever seen a character who hasn't even been around for long garner so much hate.

It doesn't really bother me much, people like who they like. Nothing you can do about it. It does get annoying sometimes when people jump on the Sentry-bashing bandwagon just for the sake of it and haven't even read one of his appearances though...

The Ion
Sentry is more like a Superman/Green Lantern/Martian Manhunter Amaglam that looks like Thor/Quasar.

Imaginary foes that can whoop the asses of other superheroes?

Has Supes consciousness ever manifested this way? The creation of a completely different semi-sentient being out of pure thought? Seems interesting enough for me.

New take on Superman? No.

He's in a class of his own.
So he's a Kyle Rayner rip off? The Void is the same thing as Kyle's Oblivion.

Wild Cowboy
THE SERUM IS F***IN WEIRD !!!

hoorayforpeepee
the idea of sentry: would you rather be a schizotypal overweight alcoholic loser ora being idolized by millions, a hero among heros, the most powerful being on earth by FAR?

the obvious choice is the latter, but would it still be if your existence brought to life a malevolent being who breaks the hulk's bones like twigs? (i'd like to see doomsday do that...pffft.)

sentry has the potential for god-like good, and god-like evil. much more of a well-defined catch-22 than superman ever had,

BlaqChaos
Originally posted by Next Venom_girl
Reasons to hate the Sentry:
1. A blatant superman rip-off, right down to the big S.
2. If he's meant to be the brooding type why does he wear cheery yellow colors?
3. He is Bendis' deus ex machina device especially since...
He killed off Carnage-- Such waisted potential it could have made for such a badass storyline if Spider-man or one of the symbiote "family" was forced to do it.
(For people wanted to know what Sentry looked like...)

1. Everyone with superstrength and a cape is labeled a rip off of Superman.

2. I don't know. Why does Wolverine go around in brooding in "cheery yellow colors?"

3. We STILL don't know the fianl fate of Carnage. Besides, this is comics. People come back from the dead on a daily basis. Spider-man is dead at the moment. Jean Grey been declard dead. Bucky, Electra, the list goes on and on.

DarkCrawler
Isn't Watchdog complete ripoff of Krypto? big grin

Draco69
Dear god, they even rip-offed Krypto? Have they no shame? What's next? Weakness to neon?

DarkCrawler
Watchdog is pretty powerful though. He made Sentry bleed. He also went in the orbit to get a tree Hulk threw there.

Watchdog >>>> Terrax.

hotsauce6548
I don't like him because Marvel doesn't need an ultra-powerful character like him running around with teams like the Avengers. no expression

brainchild81

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/sifu1/SENTRY001006_400.jpg Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! Sentry is not one for games. I will miss Carnage though. Sentry should've ripped someone else in half. mad

Juntai
Everyone hated Truimph too, and that's who Sentry is ripped off of, so it's natural.
There's your explanation.

Dizzle
Sentry's powers are definitely the same as Superman, but that in itself makes him a bit relatable. Superman's an icon. Everyone knows of his powers to some extent, and so his powerset's a good place to start for characters who are almost "Superman gone wrong". Just that one seemingly small difference between the two is a VERY clear division that makes Sentry unique.

I think Sentry's powers are actually Bob Reynold's idea of what a Superhero should be. His potential is well above even his fictional Sentry, and the equally fictional Void. I doubt he'll really turn into a long time character, because once his problems come to a head, he will either A: Deal with them and become Superman. (lame) B: Die. C: Unlock his full potential, ascend to godhood. I think starting as an obvious Superman knockoff and branching out can still breed a good story, just for the millions of different ways that one can take with it.

I think the realization of his true power while dealing with his psychological dilemma could be cool. I dunno. It could end up terrible, but I think Sentry has potential. We haven't seen enough.

Hit and Run
Frankly, I think at the very least, Sentry could have been given a costume that didn't resemble Superman's so much. Like, they didn't have to give him a cape, a big S, or underwear outside his pants.

Also, just where did Watchdog come from anyway? Did he also drink the Sentry's serum?

Arahan
Watchdog is cool.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.