Ghost Reveries

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Victor Von Doom
Verdicts? Comments?

Lana
I have to wait another day to get and hear it miffed

Victor Von Doom
Muahahaha.

Lana
Shut. Up.

Alpha Centauri
Possibly the most outstanding album I've ever heard in my life.

Too incredible.

-AC

Lana
Not helping any......

Hmmm....I wonder how many music stores will be open at 8:30 am tomorrow morning.

Deathblow
Haven't got it yet, I'm ashamed to say, being that I'm known to many as their biggest fan. Definitely be picking it up tomorrow.

Dr. Strangelove
Picking it up tomorrow probably in the afternoon unless my local Tower opens earlier than 10:00.

Damn you Brits are lucky bastards...

Victor Von Doom
Yeah, well lucky we are.

'When does Ghost Reveries come out?'

-Monday

'No fair, it comes out Tuesday here. At least I can go watch 'X', it's in the cinemas from Friday. When it out over there?'

Alpha Centauri
Exactly.

Hellboy came out in April 04, we didn't get it till mid September I believe.

-AC

Lana
Wow, that's sucky.

Well I'm going to try and pick up Ghost Reveries on my way to school tomorrow, though it's doubtful anything will be open at 8:30 am. If that doesn't work, I'll try and get it on my way home.

Alpha Centauri
Well boring this forum.

Might go see what CDs are on my iTunes under the O section, under Opeth.

-AC

Lana
Hah. Hah. Hah.

RagnaViper
Damnit, this album is good. There's some tracks on there that could have fit on Damnation sick but the good definitely outweighs the bad. I'm actually liking this one as much as My Arms, Your Hearse.

Favorite track is Beneath the Mire. Love that intro.

Alpha Centauri
Why Damnation with a sick face? That album is incredible.

There's nothing really "bad" about Ghost Reveries or any Opeth album.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Damnation is amazing.

RagnaViper
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Why Damnation with a sick face? That album is incredible.

There's nothing really "bad" about Ghost Reveries or any Opeth album.

-AC

Your opinion and mine.

Damnation was nothing compared to their other releases. It lacked all the feeling and enjoyment in all the other Opeth albums. The only good track was Windowpane. One of the worst parts was the lack of Mike's death growl vocals.

Ghost Reveries had some weak tracks that seemed like they were directly from Damnation.

Alpha Centauri
Well they're not weak tracks, nor is Damnation a weak album.

It's one of their best, if we're classifying.

Originally posted by RagnaViper
It lacked all the feeling and enjoyment in all the other Opeth albums. The only good track was Windowpane. One of the worst parts was the lack of Mike's death growl vocals.

This is false though. Firstly, to claim Windowpane is the only "good" track is unbelievably ignorant.

The whole purpose of that album was that it was the mellow album to compare with Deliverance. Damnation/Deliverance.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
I guess if you're massively into the death growl style, there are more appropriate bands.

RagnaViper
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I guess if you're massively into the death growl style, there are more appropriate bands.

That's not the whole problem though. Opeth is a metal band.

Key element of metal? Distorted guitars. One of the most defining aspects of the genre. No distorted guitars here on Damnation.

Some of the solos were excellent, but the only track I found worth the listen was Windowpane.

Seriously, this album is more of a folk album than a metal album. You may be fine with that, but it disgusts me to see one of my favorite bands do something like this.

RagnaViper
This is false though. Firstly, to claim Windowpane is the only "good" track is unbelievably ignorant.

The whole purpose of that album was that it was the mellow album to compare with Deliverance. Damnation/Deliverance.

-AC

Let's avoid the "I" word, shall we? You may find it ignorant that I think the only good track is Windowpane, while I think any kid who hasn't listened to Manowar or King Crimson is ignorant. It really is all relative.

Alpha Centauri
That's not the whole problem though. Opeth is a metal band.

Key element of metal? Distorted guitars. One of the most defining aspects of the genre. No distorted guitars here on Damnation.

A) Let's not refer to Opeth doing a mellow album as a problem.

B) They're still a metal band, dunno if you noticed that. They made a non metal album. What's the big deal?

Seriously, this album is more of a folk album than a metal album. You may be fine with that, but it disgusts me to see one of my favorite bands do something like this.

What the shit? DISGUSTS you to see a band experiment with amazing results? Aww, shame. I'm sure Opeth are bothered. The very thing that makes Opeth as amazing as they are is the fact that they don't follow the metal band stereotype. That's why Mikael is one of the greatest vocalists ever. Because he can do it both and has a tremendous voice for melodic singing.

If you don't like the album, fine. To say it disgusts you is extremely pretentious. They owe you nothing, believe it or not. They don't owe it to you to continue knocking out albums in the vein of Deliverance or Still Life etc.

-AC

Lana
If someone were a real fan of a band, they wouldn't care if they experimented with other sounds.

I love Opeth. And I LOVE Damnation. It is an excellent album and shows that just because they're a metal band, it doesn't mean that's the only kind of music they can make.

Can't wait to hear Ghost Reveries.

nick1811
downloaded ghost reveries about 2 weeks ago, its not bad, but its definetly not their best album. orchid and deliverance beat it hands down.
the best song, in my opinion is 'the grand conjuration', although 'reverie/harlequin forest' is a good song too.

Victor Von Doom
I think people are missing the point though.

You can't say Opeth are a 'metal' band, and then their albums that are 'non-metal' are out of character.

Every single one of their albums is an Opeth album. There aren't the 'proper' ones, and the 'experimental, non-metal' ones.

It comes back to the stupid genre thing. They make an album that doesn't seem 'metal'? Then maybe they aren't a 'metal' band.

They have metal elements amongst many others.

If they aren't musically pigeonholing themselves, there's no need for us to try to rationise it or ignore what they are doing.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by nick1811
downloaded ghost reveries about 2 weeks ago, its not bad, but its definetly not their best album. orchid and deliverance beat it hands down.
the best song, in my opinion is 'the grand conjuration', although 'reverie/harlequin forest' is a good song too.

You've bought it now then?

-AC

RagnaViper
A) Let's not refer to Opeth doing a mellow album as a problem.

B) They're still a metal band, dunno if you noticed that. They made a non metal album. What's the big deal?

I'll refer to Opeth doing a mellow album as a problem if I dislike it. It didn't
affect the band negatively in my eyes, considering an album like Damnation is more of a one time only thing, but I still dislike the album.

It's kind of obvious that they're still metal, dude. I never said they stopped being metal. As I said earlier, Damnation is more of a one time thing.

Why are you arguing this entire point off of one word? Oh my gawd, DISGUSTED. Big deal. Do you blow things out of proportion because you take this personally?

My entire point so far has been that I strongly dislike the album. At no point did I call it pure shit or anything close to that.

Opeth can be as creative as they want. Hell, make a reggae album. I just won't listen to it. That's all there is to it. It's not "OPETH SUXXORS NOW CUZ THEY MADE A NON METAL ALBUM", it's more like "Great, Opeth came out with something completely non-metal. Oh look, here's me. Not enjoying it."

I've said my piece. I think we both should see why I didn't enjoy Damnation now.

Oh, and if that stupid genre thing annoys you, go ahead and ignore it. I could care less about your opinions on genre. If you think genres are a pain, you have no idea. I'm a metalhead. We've got it worst.

Alpha Centauri
I'll refer to Opeth doing a mellow album as a problem if I dislike it. It didn't
affect the band negatively in my eyes, considering an album like Damnation is more of a one time only thing, but I still dislike the album.

Why is it a problem though? It's not a problem is it? Bit over dramatic.

Why are you arguing this entire point off of one word? Oh my gawd, DISGUSTED. Big deal. Do you blow things out of proportion because you take this personally?

I don't take it personally. I'm not the one acting as though Opeth owe it to me not to do albums like Damnation. Not suggesting you actually believe that, but that's the impression you give off.

My entire point so far has been that I strongly dislike the album. At no point did I call it pure shit or anything close to that.

Oh, and if that stupid genre thing annoys you, go ahead and ignore it. I could care less about your opinions on genre. If you think genres are a pain, you have no idea. I'm a metalhead. We've got it worst.

Metalhead = Fan of metal? In that case I'm one. What do you mean by "got it worse"? You don't have to deal in labelling if you don't want to.

-AC

RagnaViper
Why is it a problem though? It's not a problem is it? Bit over dramatic.

It's a problem to me, not to Opeth. I'm not suggesting it's their problem either. Actually, to be more specific, it's more of a disappointment. I don't like what they did with that album. It was disappointing. That really is all there is to it. Drama isn't an issue here either.

It's not necessarily labelling as much as... discussion material. I discuss metal with people every day. In these kinds of discussions, it's pretty important to know your genres.

A metalhead is not exactly just a fan of metal. It's close though. Being a metalhead is also a lifestyle. I'm not saying you're not a metalhead either.

Alpha Centauri
It's not necessarily labelling as much as... discussion material. I discuss metal with people every day. In these kinds of discussions, it's pretty important to know your genres.

A metalhead is not exactly just a fan of metal. It's close though. Being a metalhead is also a lifestyle. I'm not saying you're not a metalhead either.

It's important to know your genres? As in...overall? Because if you're discussing Emperor, I'm pretty sure you don't have to be sure what genre Santana fit in. You obviously need to know about metal if you're gonna discuss metal. Then there's obviously thrash, death, prog, heavy, black etc. I don't deal with that unless it's obvious. I could probably narrow it down, but there's no point to me.

Metalheads are primarily fans of metal who basically conform to a stereotype. It doesn't matter if you're 50 and been doing it since the Judas Priest days. If you have to dress a certain way to know you love the music, that's a bit pathetic. I can walk into HMV with a Nike shirt and some combat shorts and stand next to Dani Filth, it doesn't mean I'm less of a fan.

-AC

Lana
I just got home with Ghost Reveries.....listening right now big grin

Deathblow
It sucks really, really hard. That I still haven't got the album, that is. Tomorrow I'm going to the record store before work, and take some cinderblocks in case it's not open.

And please don't turn an Opeth thread into an argument, let their sublime musical perfection bring us together, not tear us apart.

RagnaViper
It's important to know your genres? As in...overall? Because if you're discussing Emperor, I'm pretty sure you don't have to be sure what genre Santana fit in. You obviously need to know about metal if you're gonna discuss metal. Then there's obviously thrash, death, prog, heavy, black etc. I don't deal with that unless it's obvious. I could probably narrow it down, but there's no point to me.

Metalheads are primarily fans of metal who basically conform to a stereotype. It doesn't matter if you're 50 and been doing it since the Judas Priest days. If you have to dress a certain way to know you love the music, that's a bit pathetic. I can walk into HMV with a Nike shirt and some combat shorts and stand next to Dani Filth, it doesn't mean I'm less of a fan.

-AC

Originally posted by Deathblow
It sucks really, really hard. That I still haven't got the album, that is. Tomorrow I'm going to the record store before work, and take some cinderblocks in case it's not open.

And please don't turn an Opeth thread into an argument, let their sublime musical perfection bring us together, not tear us apart.

Goddamnit.

Lana
Originally posted by Deathblow

Whyyyyyyy don't you have it yet?

Deathblow
Because I blew all my spare cash already (see previous page), and I need to save the remainder for stuff like, food and central heating.

But that stuff sucks, so I'm getting it first thing tomorrow happy

Lana
I just finished listening to it.

OMG.

Definitely one of the best albums I've ever heard.

Dr. Strangelove
Amazing. They've improved in every aspect, musically (and this is Opeth were talking about.) The only worry I had was the Lindgren addition but he flowed in beautifully. Maybe it's just me, but I find Ghost Reveries to be more accessible than their other albums, while still having the complexity and epicness of an Opeth album.

And I thought they couldn't top Still Life, I was wrong and glad to be.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
The only worry I had was the Lindgren addition but he flowed in beautifully.

?

Dr. Strangelove
What I was trying to say is that Opeth had worked so well as a 4-man band that I didn't know what to expect when they added a fifth member. But it worked out fine as he played it out naturally and didn't try to force anything that wasn't needed.

Alpha Centauri
Lindgren has been in it since the start.

-AC

Dr. Strangelove
Ah, well then forget my last two posts. Need to brush up on my Opeth history.

Deathblow
I like it.

I don't think it's as good as Orchid or Still Life.

TheStormrider
My favorite album from them so far. Not necessarily their best, but definitely my favorite. The keyboards add so much.

And please shut up about Damnation. It may be my least favorite, but it's still an Opeth album and Opeth can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned. Seriously, look at how they're maintaining their awesomeness under RoadRunner? These guys will always be among the best.

Alpha Centauri
The very fact that some people are so idiotic as to look at Opeth's history and assume that a label are gonna bring them in and change everything, is disturbing.

Ghost Reveries is different in many ways and the same in many ways, but you can tell it's all Opeth's doing. Which is why I love it so much. I saw their first video on tv the other day and I can tell that from that, the bandwagonning is going to start, can't really be stopped though.

Opeth are and have always been Opeth.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Alan Partauri
Which is why I love it so much. I saw their first video on tv the other day and I can tell that from that, the bandwagonning is going to start, can't really be stopped though.

-AP

You'll be driving.

Dr. Strangelove
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
Amazing. They've improved in every aspect, musically (and this is Opeth were talking about.) The only worry I had was the Lindgren addition but he flowed in beautifully. Maybe it's just me, but I find Ghost Reveries to be more accessible than their other albums, while still having the complexity and epicness of an Opeth album.

And I thought they couldn't top Still Life, I was wrong and glad to be.

Meant Per Wiberg. embarrasment

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
You'll be driving.

Wearing my driving gloves no less.

The string gives you a bit of extra purchase.

-AC

TheStormrider
The very fact that some people are so idiotic as to look at Opeth's history and assume that a label are gonna bring them in and change everything, is disturbing.

Ghost Reveries is different in many ways and the same in many ways, but you can tell it's all Opeth's doing. Which is why I love it so much. I saw their first video on tv the other day and I can tell that from that, the bandwagonning is going to start, can't really be stopped though.

Opeth are and have always been Opeth.

-AC

Actually, I didn't for once expect Opeth to change because of their label. I've had faith in them for a while. I have a strong hatred for RoadRunner though and I realize a danger. RoadRunner is known to influence their bands. It's ignorant not to notice that.

Bandwagoning will probably start, but I say all the better. One of my faves will be making more money, so more power to them.

Alpha Centauri
Mikael has said that it's be nice to be rich but he's not gonna compromise his integrity or the band's music to get there. He hasn't.

Why is it all the better? It's not good. I'm all for bands getting success through their OWN means and stuff, I'm happy for Opeth right now. If someone gets into Opeth cos of the video on TV, you can't help where you hear it. As long as they're a genuine fan who isn't gonna just suck it all up, I have no problem. But to say it's good to have everyone jumping on a band ignorantly, is a bit silly in my opinion.

-AC

TheStormrider
Why is it all the better? It's not good. I'm all for bands getting success through their OWN means and stuff, I'm happy for Opeth right now. If someone gets into Opeth cos of the video on TV, you can't help where you hear it. As long as they're a genuine fan who isn't gonna just suck it all up, I have no problem. But to say it's good to have everyone jumping on a band ignorantly, is a bit silly in my opinion.

-AC

Hey, as long as Opeth is making money off em I'm happy. You may think it's silly but I don't. I like my band being supported, even if you think the fans are ignorantly jumping on board. They may be, but who are you to judge?

Alpha Centauri
Well I don't think Opeth owe me anything, for sure. No band owes anything to me. As long as they don't change for anyone but themselves, they'll have my respect and admiration.

As for who am I to judge, I'm the person they're more or less giving the gavel to. Everytime we give our opinion on an album, we're judging.

If fans are ignorantly jumping on, it sucks. Regardless of what you want to twist it into, musical ignorance does suck.

I agree that it's financial support in the pockets of Opeth, but it's still not something I like to see. But that spans all bands I love, not just Opeth.

-AC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.