The X-Men vs Thanos

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Victor Von Doom
Not sure if this has been done, it didn't appear to be.

Thanos arrives on Earth planning to take over. He hasn't planned anything specifically, he arrives with whatever he normally carries.

The resistance comes in the form of the following X-Men:

Jean Grey;
Storm;
Ice-Man;
Colossus;
Emma Frost;

Outcome?

demigawd
lol, I saw this one coming.

Victor Von Doom
I do try.

Genuinely interested to see what happens though.

Nataku8188
Goodluck X-men, may Thanos have mercy on your souls.

demigawd
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I do try.

Genuinely interested to see what happens though.

Why? You may think there's an X-bias on this board, but Thanos is as close to unbeatable here as you can get. Nobody, not even Stormfront, is going to side with the X-men, though GalacticStorm might turn Jean into Phoenix....

...where is GalacticStorm anyway?

stormfront13
Originally posted by demigawd
Nobody, not even Stormfront, is going to side with the X-men,

lol, your right. the x-men lose unless jean becomes phoenix

Wickerman
though GalacticStorm might turn Jean into Phoenix....

...where is GalacticStorm anyway?

Ahem.........*straightens out voice*

GS doesn't have to "turn jean into Phoenix. ........Jean IS Phoenix. She's no longer just an Avatar of the Phoenix as an entity, but her genetic code allows her to tap into the power of the Phoenix.

thank you....thank you *bows*

~wickerman~

demigawd
lol.

Also, "Phoenix is the primal force of the universe, having achieved telepathic and telekinetic godhood in the tithe of sepiroth spirals of creation"

Originally posted by stormfront13
lol, your right. the x-men lose unless jean becomes phoenix

Did I call it or did I call it?

stormfront13
ha ha, but really, unless it's jean with the phoenix force, the x-men are screwed

Nataku8188
Don't you listen to anything your boss says? There is no pheonix force, just the pheonix! Or.. wait... screw it. I hate X-men.

Tha C-Master
GS is in EGYPT!

Wickerman
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
GS is in EGYPT!

icon5 He's on a quest to find En Sabah Nur again no

~wickerman~

stormfront13
c-master r u serious?

Alpha Centauri
Unless Jean becomes Phoenix? Thanos will still win.

-AC

Wickerman
he arrives with whatever he normally carries.

Sooo....no cosmic cube or IG huh? sad damn..........would've taken less than a nanosecond too sad

~wickerman~

stormfront13
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

do you say the x-men lose no matter what?

Victor Von Doom
Nobody, not even Stormfront, is going to side with the X-men

Let's not dismiss that one just yet.

stormfront13
did you not read the thread?

Nataku8188

-AC

Where the hell you been jerk?

Left me here to be tyrant all by myself! I wasn't ready for the responsibility! I WAS ONLY A BOY!

Victor Von Doom
Yeah.

I know how people on this board change their opinions faster than the Flash on a supermarket sweep.

Alpha Centauri
do you say the x-men lose no matter what?

Yes, because they do.

I realise that you are so far up the X-Men's collective anii but no amount of penetration is going to have them beating Thanos. Most of the people here know that they couldn't beat the F4. Much less someone who's killed the universe a good few times.

It'd be over in seconds.

-AC

Creshosk
Welcome Back AC. big grin smile

Creshosk
c-master r u serious? He's perfectly serious. GS will be back in a week. Minus how ever many days it's been.

Alpha Centauri
Feel free to jump off my genitalia at some point.

I'm commenting in a couple of threads that had been created while I was reading the VVD/Demigawd/You debacle.

-AC

stormfront13
k,

1)I have never said that the x-men would beat thanos, not unless jean is at her fulest.

2)if you had payed attention to the x-men, you would see that they usually win and have some of the best in marvel.

Tha C-Master
c-master r u serious? Indeed I am...

demigawd
Yes, because they do.

I realise that you are so far up the X-Men's collective anii but no amount of penetration is going to have them beating Thanos. Most of the people here know that they couldn't beat the F4. Much less someone who's killed the universe a good few times.

It'd be over in seconds.

-AC

Correction - most people on this board have roundly sided with the X-men against the Fantastic Four, a point you yourself have lamented often.

Jean as Phoenix murders Thanos. With not a whole lot of effort. I'd cut and paste the 100 or so pages of reasoning GS used, but why bother? Most people on the board recognize that.

Alpha Centauri
This is exactly what I mean.

"I have never said that the x-men would beat Thanos.......not unless jean is at her fullest."

No, stop finding ways to not totally vote against the X-Men. They cannot beat Thanos in any way, shape or form. At all. Phoenix full power or not. Are we clear? Good.

Second, I read X-Men. You ONLY read X-Men, there's a difference. They don't have some of the "best" in Marvel. One or two psionics, that's it. Unless you count Ice-Man, I don't. Because it's another example of how badly the X-Men get greased here.

-AC

stormfront13
wow, he never told me

Tha C-Master

No, stop finding ways to not totally vote against the X-Men. They cannot beat Thanos in any way, shape or form. At all. Phoenix full power or not. Are we clear? Good.

-AC

Phoenix can't beat Thanos? confused

stormfront13

"I have never said that the x-men would beat Thanos.......not unless jean is at her fullest."

Second, I read X-Men. You ONLY read X-Men, there's a difference. They don't have some of the "best" in Marvel. One or two psionics, that's it. Unless you count Ice-Man, I don't. Because it's another example of how badly the X-Men get greased here.

-AC

lol ha ha, do you even realize how pathetic you are? it is true, if jean is at her fullest, then the x-men win. if she's not, then they lose horribly. you obviously don't read x-men. according to whendon, claremont, stan-lee, and tom brevenont(something like that, I can't remember), the cheif editor at marvel, the x-men have some of the toughest people in marvel comics. they said that magneto, polaris, storm, iceman, xavier and jean are some of the many that are the most powerful in marvel comics.

stormfront13
Phoenix can't beat Thanos? confused

I was thinking the same thing

Alpha Centauri
Jean as Phoenix murders Thanos. With not a whole lot of effort. I'd cut and paste the 100 or so pages of reasoning GS used, but why bother? Most people on the board recognize that.

Oh yeah, of course. She now has the ability to murder Thanos. How naive of me to assume that the X-Men lack the ability to pull power out of their rectums.

-AC

Tha C-Master
Oh yeah, of course. She now has the ability to murder Thanos. How naive of me to assume that the X-Men lack the ability to pull power out of their rectums.

-AC *whipes sweat from forehead*

stormfront13
do you know what the phoenix is?

Alpha Centauri
lol ha ha, do you even realize how pathetic you are? it is true, if jean is at her fullest, then the x-men win. if she's not, then they lose horribly. you obviously don't read x-men. according to whendon, claremont, stan-lee, and tom brevenont(something like that, I can't remember), the cheif editor at marvel, the x-men have some of the toughest people in marvel comics. they said that magneto, polaris, storm, iceman, xavier and jean are some of the many that are the most powerful in marvel comics.

I stopped reading X-Men when they turned into DC Comics. When they stopped being about writing the characters to be good as opposed to getting bored and making them god-like. I had been reading X-Men since quite likely before you were even into comic books.

Magneto and Ice-Man have had the most non-sensical upgrades in history of comics. One "trained" and the other, as a result of controlling magnetism, somehow controls everything because magnetism is an important force.

Either way, you agree with me that the X-Men can't beat Thanos. So the rest is pointless.

-AC

stormfront13
So the rest is pointless. -AC

then why do you feel the need to bring it up? lol, you really are a jackass

Creshosk
do you know what the phoenix is? GS is in Egypt. . .essay free for a while. . . though if people actually bothered to read them we'd probably have less. . .

I still don't understand how someone who fixes the 616 universe is less powerful than someone IN the 616 universe. . .

Tha C-Master
Agree that xmen have become too powerful, I myself hate arguing against some of the characters, BELIVE ME,but its still there.

Iceman is Omega level now...

The xmen do lose however...

Alpha Centauri
then why do you feel the need to bring it up? lol, you really are a jackass

And you are actually moronic. I'd rather be a jackass.

-AC

stormfront13
then why do you feel the need to bring it up? lol, no offense but you really are a jackass

Alpha Centauri
Why post it again?

-AC

Creshosk
Agree that xmen have become too powerful, I myself hate arguing against some of the characters, BELIVE ME,but its still there.

Iceman is Omega level now...

The xmen do lose however... Yeah, I prefer the X-men when they weren't so powerful myself.

I myself prefer the relaxation times to the fights. Like the BBal game of Rouge and wolvie vs Gambit and Jubilee. . . The end shot with wolverine is great.

stormfront13
And you are actually moronic. I'd rather be a jackass.

-AC

oh well, I can live with that seeing as you have no clue who I am and would never know if it's actually true

Creshosk
The xmen do lose however... Without the phoenix thing yeah, thanos totally stomps them.

demigawd

-AC

Rectum-pulling power comes in spaces when you're a fundamental force of the universe.

stormfront13
Why post it again?

-AC

my computer messed up and it kinda froze when I was posting it

Creshosk
oh well, I can live with that seeing as you have no clue who I am and would never know if it's actually true You disagree with AC, therefore to AC you are a moron. To me however you are a hardcore fan of Storm.

Alpha Centauri
Rectum-pulling power comes in spaces when you're a fundamental force of the universe.

It comes in spaces when you're an X-Man.

Deny if you will, we know it's true.

-AC

stormfront13
Originally posted by Creshosk
You disagree with AC, therefore to AC you are a moron. To me however you are a hardcore fan of Storm.

and you my friend, are a level-headed, smart person

Victor Von Doom
Or even spades.

Alpha Centauri
You disagree with AC, therefore to AC you are a moron. To me however you are a hardcore fan of Storm.

If he was just a fan of Storm, I wouldn't care. Loads of people disagree with me, it doesn't make them morons. Will you please stop saying stuff that isn't there? It's stupid.

The fact that he finds a way to backblock the X-Men in every fight more or less, through stupidity and love, is what makes him a moron. Who he likes makes no difference. If you deny that Stormfront is a biased Storm fanboy (which he has admitted to in the past), then I don't know what to do with you.

-AC

Tha C-Master
and you my friend, are a level-headed, smart person thanks big grin

demigawd
It comes in spaces when you're an X-Man.

Deny if you will, we know it's true.

-AC

Fair point. I guess they weren't as lucky to have had the exact same abilities from their origin to today, like, say, Sue Richards, has.

Oh wait...

Victor Von Doom
Hold on.

There is actually a topic beneath all this display of penile size, and some light fellation of said appendages.

Mind if we return to it?

stormfront13
thanks big grin

anytime

Alpha Centauri
Sue Richards getting explained upgrades that are forseeable without going into extreme science and theory, is different to Ice-Man going away, "training" off-panel and gaining Omega level powers.

Come on now.

-AC

demigawd
Hold on.

There is actually a topic beneath all this display of penile size, and some light fellation of said appendages.

Mind if we return to it?

Bah, Thanos wins. Next thread!

Creshosk
Hold on.

Mind if we return to it? Actually there really isn't a discussion.

Jean grey with phoenix power, x-men win.
Jean grey without phoenix power, Thanos wins.

Mainstream
go Thanos scissors go Thanos scissors

stormfront13
Sue Richards getting explained upgrades that are forseeable without going into extreme science and theory, is different to Ice-Man going away, "training" off-panel and gaining Omega level powers.

Come on now.

-AC

this is where I doubt you ever read x-men. from the beginning, iceman was always hinted as having omega level potential. they said it in x-men forever, and that was before he trained. and you can't gain omega-level powers, you are just born with that kind of power.

demigawd

Come on now.

-AC

Hmm. That IS true.

Except it didn't happen like that. Iceman's upgrades have been steady since 1986 when Loki first boosted his powers. You should know better.

Alpha Centauri
We've been over this.

If you mean the belt he used in X-Factor to "suppress", that's just assumption.

He didn't hint at being an omega, as Stormfront would like to believe. He hinted at being more powerful than he was, fine. I can deal with that. Let the man learn more about his powers and what not. Development is good.

Going off panel and then returning with "I trained" more or less, is stupid. It worked though, because anything works with X-Fans.

-AC

stormfront13
yes he was, he was always hinted as having more potential than he could believe, and having omega-potential. when the term omega came out, he was called one, and after that it he has been said he has always had omega-level potential.

Creshosk
And now we might get into the concept of the retcon. . .

demigawd
We've been over this.

If you mean the belt he used in X-Factor to "suppress", that's just assumption.

???
Loki said, "I'm gonna boost your powers! Ta da!" Iceman's powers become so great that he can't control them. He gets a belt to help him out until he doesn't need it anymore, like training wheels. Eventually, after several dozen issues...he didn't need it anymore because he (wait for it!) became skilled enough to handle his new power level.

I missed where the assumption there is. I also missed the off panel "hey, I'm a god" part, too.

Except again, that's not how it happened. Mikhail educated him, Emma educated him and Ship educated him. This was all on panel. In fact, Iceman did more on panel training than Sue, whose upgrades amounted to Reed saying, "Hey Sue, try to create a forcefield instead of becoming invisible" "ok...wow, it worked! I'm a powerhouse now!".

Alpha Centauri
???
Loki said, "I'm gonna boost your powers! Ta da!" Iceman's powers become so great that he can't control them. He gets a belt to help him out until he doesn't need it anymore, like training wheels. Eventually, after several dozen issues...he didn't need it anymore because he (wait for it!) became skilled enough to handle his new power level.

I missed where the assumption there is. I also missed the off panel "hey, I'm a god" part, too.

Well it didn't happen in any comic I read. Ice-Man went on hiatus and when I saw him return, he had "honed" his powers. Either way, I like to be shown why they deserve these powers, I don't assume they do.

The Loki part proves my point.

Except again, that's not how it happened. Mikhail educated him, Emma educated him and Ship educated him. This was all on panel. In fact, Iceman did more on panel training than Sue, whose upgrades amounted to Reed saying, "Hey Sue, try to create a forcefield instead of becoming invisible" "ok...wow, it worked! I'm a powerhouse now!".

Educated him, yes. Where does this mean that he now has the ability to control veins? You can't instantly reach max potential just because someone says you have potential.

-AC

demigawd
Well it didn't happen in any comic I read.

Well, don't blame Iceman for that, lol.

Nah, his power has been developing for a long time. Remember, he started out as a snowman throwing snowballs. He's probably been the most visually progressing of the X-men over the past 40 years. There was never a time he went away and came back with new powers. It was always on panel. Always.

Anyway, what's an example of someone "deserving" their powers? Like, say, Sue.

What? Beyonder boosted Kurse, so you're saying Kurse doesn't deserve his powers because of it? What about Loki and the Absorbing Man? Doom and Titania? Aren't you a bit unfair?

Well, (and you're not going to like this), Iceman STILL hasn't reached max potential. He was trained to explore his abilities and he has. Hell, if I were a telekinetic, I don't need that much training, just a lot of imagination to think of millions of ways to apply it. Ditto with Iceman. He doesn't need to train for years to realize that he can freeze veins. He just has to think more imaginatively. I would have thought of that years ago if I had his power. Emma thought of it instantly when he took his body.

Alpha Centauri
Nah, his power has been developing for a long time. Remember, he started out as a snowman throwing snowballs. He's probably been the most visually progressing of the X-men over the past 40 years. There was never a time he went away and came back with new powers. It was always on panel. Always.

If he had naturally developed his power to the level of freezing veins, rather than saying he had without any proof, I'd accept that. We were always given reason and situational proof for Ice-Man growing in power. Then one day it came down to "education". I don't buy it.

Anyway, what's an example of someone "deserving" their powers? Like, say, Sue.

I'm not saying Ice-Man doesn't deserve them really, because I can foresee his powers evolving into that. I just don't buy how he actually got them. Same with Sue, we were always given reason to believe she could do more with her power and the nature of her power allows it.

What? Beyonder boosted Kurse, so you're saying Kurse doesn't deserve his powers because of it? What about Loki and the Absorbing Man? Doom and Titania? Aren't you a bit unfair?

I mean't by you saying "Ta da" and boosting his powers. You obviously read more into my comment. That's more or less how it happened, Emma told him he had potential and educated him, then he reached it. Instead of training to. "You can freeze blood" "Oh yeah, I can."

Well, (and you're not going to like this), Iceman STILL hasn't reached max potential. He was trained to explore his abilities and he has. Hell, if I were a telekinetic, I don't need that much training, just a lot of imagination to think of millions of ways to apply it. Ditto with Iceman. He doesn't need to train for years to realize that he can freeze veins. He just has to think more imaginatively. I would have thought of that years ago if I had his power. Emma thought of it instantly when he took his body.

Yes but as I said, potential is one thing, as is having it. If someone tells me I can run as fast as the fastest man ever, or that I have the potential to, I can't automatically do it.

That's my point.

-AC

who?-kid
Can somebody please explain me the purpose of this silly thread ?

Creshosk
Originally posted by who?-kid
Can somebody please explain me the purpose of this silly thread ? To totally stomp the X-men. . it sort of blew up when Jean was included.

Alpha Centauri
Actually, the purpose was to genuinely see if people loved the X-Men that much.

Apparantly it hasn't come to that yet.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Can somebody please explain me the purpose of this silly thread ?

To see how far the rabbit hole goes.

Problem wid that?

demigawd
If he had naturally developed his power to the level of freezing veins, rather than saying he had without any proof, I'd accept that. We were always given reason and situational proof for Ice-Man growing in power. Then one day it came down to "education". I don't buy it.

What would you have preferred? "In issue 304, Iceman struggles to learn how to freeze blood in someone's veins" "In issue 305, Iceman continues to struggle to learn".

Emma demonstrated it for him, he thought, "hmm", and ten issues or so later, he did it....to Emma, no less. I don't find anything unreasonable about that in the slightest. Iceman's is one of the slower and more deliberate power evolutions in comics. It's really the one you should disagree with least.

???

Wait, so you're saying he DOES deserve it, and you're saying you CAN see his powers evolving into that, right? And I've already clarified how his powers were boosted and he came to control them over years and years, so....are you still of the belief that it's somehow "wrong" or "stupid" that Iceman is a powerhouse?

Ah, I think I see what you're saying. You have to remember, physical potential doesn't work the same way. Let's go to your example here:

"If someone tells me I can run as fast as the fastest man ever, or that I have the potential to, I can't automatically do it."

Correct, and the reason you can't automatically do it is because you haven't honed your body for it. You are physically incapable of running that fast in your present state. It's not just a mental limitation, it's a physical one.

It's a different example. In Iceman's case (or in the case of most mutant powers), potential is a matter of imagination, not of physical capability. It's less "olympic training" and more "success coaching". Success coaching yields instant results if you can accept the advice. Olympic training is overcoming *physical* as well as *mental* limitations. The former doesn't apply to Iceman, or most other mentally-powered superbeings.

So if you were to use the same logic you're using to complain about Colossus instantly becoming a CL100 character, I'd agree wholeheartedly - it's a physical limitation that he should grow into with hard training and lifting. But mental powers like Iceman's is more about creativity and imagination, and you can get results just by opening your mind. Does that make sense?

who?-kid
Maybe... or maybe it was time to humiliate the X-Men by letting them face an opponent they just can't beat.

Yes. It's stupid, predictable and childish.

Victor Von Doom

Maybe... or maybe it was time to humiliate the X-Men by letting them face an opponent they just can't beat.

Yes. It's stupid, predictable and childish.

Well, leave the thread then.

I was genuinely interested to see how far the X-Men defenses/arguments go.

That bother you? Couldn't care less.

Alpha Centauri

Wasn't though, was it? No.

Iceman's is one of the slower and more deliberate power evolutions in comics. It's really the one you should disagree with least.

I do, as I said. I just have a problem with how he got it. She demonstrated it to him and he did it, rather than working at it.

so....are you still of the belief that it's somehow "wrong" or "stupid" that Iceman is a powerhouse?

No, as I've stated. I never really had a problem with the nature of his powers. I can see them evolving into such. I think it was extremely hit, miss and assumptive the way it happened. Using creative licence a bit too much, IMO.

Success coaching yields instant results if you can accept the advice. Olympic training is overcoming *physical* as well as *mental* limitations. The former doesn't apply to Iceman, or most other mentally-powered superbeings.

Yes and to overcome mental barriers you need mental training. I never saw Ice-Man working to achieve what he could after Emma teaching him. He came back, as I said, and it was there. It's just a bit out of range. I want to see what he did to get there, how long it took him, what exactly he did to achieve it.

I've never doubted his ability to become what he is, just disagreed with how.

-AC

Tha C-Master
To see how far the rabbit hole goes.

Problem wid that? FF vs Doc Strange anyone? evil face

who?-kid
Well, leave the thread then.

I was genuinely interested to see how far the X-Men defenses/arguments go.

That bother you? Couldn't care less.
What kind of bull is this ? To see "how far the X-Men defenses/arguments go." ?? Like it was up to you to stop this "X-Men nonsense..." ?! This is so arrogant.

You make it seem like every time someone defends the X-Men it just has to be some delusional fanboy, while all the FF-defenders (or X-haters) are these objectives masterminds who only look at the cold facts.

X-Men are a great team. Fact. Xavier can take out the FF while filling in the crosswords. Fact. X-Men have some heavy hitters. Fact. X-Men loose this fight against Thanos however. Fact. But so do the FF together with Doom. Fact.

Nice try Victor. I'm beginning to see why the FF kicks your ass all the time.

demigawd
Yes and to overcome mental barriers you need mental training. I never saw Ice-Man working to achieve what he could after Emma teaching him. He came back, as I said, and it was there. It's just a bit out of range. I want to see what he did to get there, how long it took him, what exactly he did to achieve it.

But if you're ok with Emma taking Iceman's body and reaching near max potential instantly, why wouldn't you be ok with Iceman taking time out to make sense of what Emma did in his body and coming back to her and showing her what he learned after awhile?

And remember, he never went away on panel. IIRC, she took over his body, gave it back to him, then came Operation Zero Tolerance, where Iceman was one of the only remaining free mutants and was one of the chief characters there. It was during that time that he came to learn a lot more about his powers. After OZT was over, he confronted Emma with his new tricks, which he'd developed during OZT, since he was completely on his own. That whole year was basically devoted to Bobby's maturation.

I see it as just a matter of creativity. If I have the ability to move objects with my mind and I happily move plates around and do the dishes without touching anything and someone comes up to me and says, "You know, try projecting your power slighty around your body and you could prevent other people from touching you", I could probably do it after a couple of tries. It's just a new application of the same power. Just like if somebody says, "you know, if you focused, you could lift stuff in other rooms by thinking about it", I would likely be able to do that too fairly quickly, for the same reason. It's less about training in these new applications and more about me simply thinking them up.

Victor Von Doom
What kind of bull is this ? To see "how far the X-Men defenses/arguments go." ?? Like it was up to you to stop this "X-Men nonsense..." ?! This is so arrogant.

You make it seem like every time someone defends the X-Men it just has to be some delusional fanboy, while all the FF-defenders (or X-haters) are these objectives masterminds who only look at the cold facts.

X-Men are a great team. Fact. Xavier can take out the FF while filling in the crosswords. Fact. X-Men have some heavy hitters. Fact. X-Men loose this fight against Thanos however. Fact. But so do the FF together with Doom. Fact.

Nice try Victor. I'm beginning to see why the FF kicks your ass all the time.

Hahaha. Let it all out champ. Feel better? My thread stopped causing you pain now? It's ok.

I wanted to see what arguments would be used against Thanos.

But I'm touched. Like your nerve.

Victor Von Doom

I'm beginning to see why the FF kicks your ass all the time.

Didn't support them in that thread though, but OK. Heal thyself.

Alpha Centauri
But if you're ok with Emma taking Iceman's body and reaching near max potential instantly, why wouldn't you be ok with Iceman taking time out to make sense of what Emma did in his body and coming back to her and showing her what he learned after awhile?

That was one of the reasons I didn't buy it. It all seemed to be outside influences. If I had seen him do it and seen him learn it, given reason as to why he became what he did. Cool. I didn't.

And remember, he never went away on panel. IIRC, she took over his body, gave it back to him, then came Operation Zero Tolerance, where Iceman was one of the only remaining free mutants and was one of the chief characters there. It was during that time that he came to learn a lot more about his powers. After OZT was over, he confronted Emma with his new tricks, which he'd developed during OZT, since he was completely on his own. That whole year was basically devoted to Bobby's maturation.

But we were only TOLD he developed, I never saw any comic that showed him training mentally or otherwise that resulted in him becoming that powerful. Unless I missed it, in which case I'll put my hand up and say yes, he got where he did fairly.

I see it as just a matter of creativity. If I have the ability to move objects with my mind and I happily move plates around and do the dishes without touching anything and someone comes up to me and says, "You know, try projecting your power slighty around your body and you could prevent other people from touching you", I could probably do it after a couple of tries. It's just a new application of the same power. Just like if somebody says, "you know, if you focused, you could lift stuff in other rooms by thinking about it", I would likely be able to do that too fairly quickly, for the same reason. It's less about training in these new applications and more about me simply thinking them up.

Exactly, it's less about explanation and more about blind acceptance really. Not so much in Bobby's case but in others.

The only problem I had with Ice-Man getting those powers is the way he did. If I'm showed how and why he achieved his potential, through what means and what lead to it, I'll agree that it's reasonable. I haven't seen that and I don't recall missing any issues. I remember discussing this with PR1983 and he claimed he didn't happen visually.

With all due respect, I'll discuss anything with anyone (yes I'm aware you were talking to Victor). I was just discussing Ice-Man with Demigawd. I don't claim everyone who likes X-Men are delusional fanboys, nor does Victor, but the fact that they are plentiful on this forum is undeniable.

The only reason nobody picks up the incredible stupidity and bias of Stormfront is because of who he often happens to be debating against.

X-Men having a great team isn't fact and even if it was, it took them decades riddled with roster changes and writer changes to make them that way. F4 have been the F4 more or less forever.

-AC

demigawd
That was one of the reasons I didn't buy it. It all seemed to be outside influences. If I had seen him do it and seen him learn it, given reason as to why he became what he did. Cool. I didn't.

There were outside influences. Some people quit smoking on their own. Some people try the patch. Some people try support groups. It's not the means, it's the end. Loki amped him...he spent three or four years learning to control it. On panel. Emma showed him his potential. He spent the next year fighting for his life while being hunted by the government, and becoming a tactician as a result. On panel. It can't get any clearer than that why he got to where he is.

In contrast, Human Torch went from being the guy who throws fire to somehow being an atmospheric controller against Gravitron in a single issue. No reason, no cause, he just did. Is that better?

Operation Zero Tolerance. Good read.

Then why harp on Bobby? What others?

For the last time:

How: Loki powered him up. Why: To **** him up
His powers went out of control
Got a belt to control them
learned to control them (mastery)
How: Mikhail invaded his mind, showed him some tricks. Bobby remembered the tricks Why: Mikhail wanted to unlock the potential in all mutants
How: Emma took over his body, did some tricks. Bobby spent the next year being hunted and forced to use his powers creatively to survive Why: Because he'd be dead if he didn't
How: Ship unlocked more of his potential in X-men forever. He remembered it Why: The Stranger was going to murder the universe and there was no luxury for practice

This was all ON PANEL. The how, the why, the what means. I mean...what more do you want than that? And why is the bar set so much higher for him? Who else has gone through that much in the process of becoming better with their powers? Honestly!

Alpha Centauri
There were outside influences. Some people quit smoking on their own. Some people try the patch. Some people try support groups. It's not the means, it's the end. Loki amped him...he spent three or four years learning to control it. On panel. Emma showed him his potential. He spent the next year fighting for his life while being hunted by the government, and becoming a tactician as a result. On panel. It can't get any clearer than that why he got to where he is.

In contrast, Human Torch went from being the guy who throws fire to somehow being an atmospheric controller against Gravitron in a single issue. No reason, no cause, he just did. Is that better?

All the time running from the government and trying to survive would result in an increased sense of survival and tactics as you said. Not the ability to freeze veins.

I'm not condoning it happening to Torch though am I? I can also see his ability being able to be like that and I didn't accept him becoming the powerhouse he did, when he fought Gravitron.

Operation Zero Tolerance. Good read.

Pretty sure I read that, will re-read in that case.

Then why harp on Bobby? What others?

None that are relevant to this thread. Nor am I harping on Bobby.

For the last time:

How: Loki powered him up. Why: To **** him up
His powers went out of control
Got a belt to control them
learned to control them (mastery)
How: Mikhail invaded his mind, showed him some tricks. Bobby remembered the tricks Why: Mikhail wanted to unlock the potential in all mutants
How: Emma took over his body, did some tricks. Bobby spent the next year being hunted and forced to use his powers creatively to survive Why: Because he'd be dead if he didn't
How: Ship unlocked more of his potential in X-men forever. He remembered it
Why: The Stranger was going to murder the universe and there was no luxury for practice

This was all ON PANEL. The how, the why, the what means. I mean...what more do you want than that? And why is the bar set so much higher for him? Who else has gone through that much in the process of becoming better with their powers? Honestly!

Yes, I know all that. I've read those issues.

That is exactly what I'm talking about though. The excuse is that he was shown it and remembered it, then unlocked it. I never saw any transition from being shown, to being master of. Do you see what I mean?

If that transition is in Operation Zero Tolerance and I missed it, I will agree with you wholeheartedly. I just have a problem with, what seems like, a cop out.

It's not unreasonable.

-AC

King KAM
Can Wolverine come and save the day?

leonidas
all right, if everyone is in agreement that thanos would stomp these guys (i'd thought with bobby's new powers they could actually give him a fight at least, but i've not read current xmen for quite some time), who would be the last xman standing?

xmarksthespot
Atomised/ionised:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/anticryste/X-MenForeverdrake.jpg
Reconstituted:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/anticryste/X-MenForeverdrake2.jpg
Visual enough for you AC?

For the record everyone sees stormfront's obvious bias.

Thanos would still win.

Wolverine can't help because he's too busy dealing with the omniversal threat that is Jubilee Prime.

King KAM
Nah he gutted Jubilee prime before she even knew he was there.....

colossus17
**** the x-men colossus is a true powerhouse i am sure he could take thanos by himself....he can lift like 100 tons....one punch and thanos is history....and with his new healing upgrades colossus is more dangerous then ever this days

Draco69
If Jean is pre-ultimate/secondary/whatever the f*** you call it/ mutation then Thanos schools them.

If Jean is post-ultimate/secondary/whatever the f*** you call it/ mutation then Jean kicks the crap out of Thanos.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by colossus17
**** the x-men colossus is a true powerhouse i am sure he could take thanos by himself....he can lift like 100 tons....one punch and thanos is history....and with his new healing upgrades colossus is more dangerous then ever this days

See, while I was keen to see X-Men based arguments as to why they might have a chance here, wasn't actually looking for fanboyism.

Alpha Centauri
I'm still gonna reserve my judgement for the comic, X. I appreciate your input though, thanks for the evidence. Genuinely.

-AC

Draco69
That image just shows Drake's POTENTIAL. In an alternate universe.

616 Iceman is still p***yfooting around with his powers.

Tha C-Master
**** the x-men colossus is a true powerhouse i am sure he could take thanos by himself....he can lift like 100 tons....one punch and thanos is history....and with his new healing upgrades colossus is more dangerous then ever this days c17, you just helped them out... smokin'

xmarksthespot
Don't doubt the power of Colossus Prime. laughing out loud

Tha C-Master
His power is nothing like precrisis wolverine...

demigawd
All the time running from the government and trying to survive would result in an increased sense of survival and tactics as you said. Not the ability to freeze veins.

Freezing veins = tactic. It's not a new power, it's the tactical application of an existing power. It's like aspirin. You know how to use aspirin. Sure, you can take it for a headache. But did you know you could use it to soothe a bee sting? Seriously, rub it on your arm. It didn't require any training, right? It's just taking what you already know and applying it differently. Iceman already knows how to freeze things. It's what he does best. All he did was realize that he could do it to things that aren't in his line of sight just by visualizing it. Like objects in another room. Or, organs inside your body. I don't see it requring an entire issue of training to figure that out. Hell, I would have figured that out day one.

Well, at least I'm glad to hear that you're not limiting this to X-men. It's a comicbook thing, not an X-men thing. "Hulk CFC emulsifier" anyone?

But freezing the blood in someone isn't a "master" skill. As I mentioned above, it's just a re-application of what you already know. It's nothing that would require endless training by Bobby. He knows how to freeze stuff, now he's just being creative about what he freezes. That's all of about 20 minutes of practice.

I think that we agree that this goes beyond simply X-men in general and Bobby in particular (since Torch is a far more egregious example), and that Bobby's evolution was as sensible as you can expect in a ensemble comicbook, so there's not much point in me debating any further points.

Victor Von Doom
It's like aspirin. You know how to use aspirin. Sure, you can take it for a headache. But did you know you could use it to soothe a bee sting? Seriously, rub it on your arm. It didn't require any training, right? It's just taking what you already know and applying it differently. Iceman already knows how to freeze things. It's what he does best. All he did was realize that he could do it to things that aren't in his line of sight just by visualizing it. Like objects in another room. Or, organs inside your body.

That's a slight stretch though isn't it?

Freezing things 'not in your line of sight'...rubbing an aspirin on your arm.

Not quite the same leap in application.

Creshosk
That's a slight stretch though isn't it?

Freezing things 'not in your line of sight'...rubbing an aspirin on your arm.

Not quite the same leap in application.

How about one of these others?

leonheartmm
you do know that thanos is more powerful than guys like surfer, gladiater, forgotten one and zeus right? i dont see anyway the xmen can beat him, {and colossus is nothing compared to thanos.

colossus17
Originally posted by leonheartmm
you do know that thanos is more powerful than guys like surfer, gladiater, forgotten one and zeus right? i dont see anyway the xmen can beat him, {and colossus is nothing compared to thanos.

colossus can beat zeus,surfer, and odin like they were nothing.....read some comics.....

Victor Von Doom

Apart from cheerleading, what did that prove?

That aspirin has many uses?

yahman

That aspirin has many uses?

I heard they may be using Aspirin to help solve Global Warming or as a energy device for Inter stellar travel. Testing is going into both theories. smile big grin

Creshosk

That aspirin has many uses? If you didn't like the specific example of using something in a different wway than you are used to, then why not pick one that you think is more suited to the example?

Why are you guys even protesting the power upgrade?

Victor Von Doom
If you didn't like the specific example of using something in a different wway than you are used to, then why not pick one that you think is more suited to the example?

Why are you guys even protesting the power upgrade?

Firstly, I'm not protesting the power upgrade. I was contesting the analogy.

Secondly, in your own posted example, it quite clearly mentions testing. Not 'aspirin might have other uses...let's do them now!'

One more suited to the example would be 'You can write a novel, right? It's what you do. Try writing James Joyce's Ulysses.'

yahman

Secondly, in your own posted example, it quite clearly mentions testing. Not 'aspirin might have other uses...let's do them now!'

Exactly smile

Creshosk

Secondly, in your own posted example, it quite clearly mentions testing. Not 'aspirin might have other uses...let's do them now!' Like how his powers might have uses, but he has to think them up and test them? Like Emma or Mikhal did?

Victor Von Doom
Like how his powers might have uses, but he has to think them up and test them? Like Emma or Mikhal did?

Something like that, I edited my previous reply.

Creshosk
Something like that, I edited my previous reply. That's oddly specific. How about writing in James Joyce's style rather than recreating one of James Joyce's works?

Of course then if James Joyce had been in your body when he first wrote Ulysses, and you remembered exactly what they wrote and how they wrote it and what they were htinking when they wrote it, and you remembered it after the person was out, then doing it again wouldn't be that hard.

Victor Von Doom
That's oddly specific. How about writing in James Joyce's style rather than recreating one of James Joyce's works?

Of course then if James Joyce had been in your body when he first wrote Ulysses, and you remembered exactly what they wrote and how they wrote it and what they were htinking when they wrote it, and you remembered it after the person was out, then doing it again wouldn't be that hard.

Well, yes... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Obviously the novel already exists. It was hypothetical.

If James Joyce was in your body while he wrote it, I'd feel sorry for you...took 7 years smile

LexCorp
HAHA Thanos would ***** slap colossus. I think this thread is funny, its like adding me to a fight between holyfield and tyson, the rest of the Xmen are useless. If it is Phoniex Jean than its a stalemate as Thanos being immortal and same as the force so eternal tie, thanos would get tired and make something to absorb her power, neautralize it, or just say i got better things to do and walk away.

colossus17
Originally posted by LexCorp
HAHA Thanos would ***** slap colossus. I think this thread is funny, its like adding me to a fight between holyfield and tyson, the rest of the Xmen are useless. If it is Phoniex Jean than its a stalemate as Thanos being immortal and same as the force so eternal tie, thanos would get tired and make something to absorb her power, neautralize it, or just say i got better things to do and walk away.

colossus can just punch thanos and kill him.....he is really strong......hell i am sure even bane could do it.....i mean like the guy can lift 1-2 tons when fully pumped.....thanos would have no chance

Creshosk
Well, yes... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Obviously the novel already exists. It was hypothetical.

If James Joyce was in your body while he wrote it, I'd feel sorry for you...took 7 years smile Somehow I don't think it takes 7 years to freeze someone's blood either. laughing

Victor Von Doom
Somehow I don't think it takes 7 years to freeze someone's blood either. laughing

Yeah. Thought I'd dive off in the other direction.

leonheartmm

i agree that its funny, but when you say that thanos can stalemate, absorb or neutralize pheonix's power, than your the one beeing funny.

demigawd

Priceless. wink

Besides, it's not a stretch at all. You're doing the same thing in a different way.

More direct analogy? "You've been sucking on ice to keep cool. Try putting it on your head instead, it keeps down swelling".

Either way, it shouldn't take...YEARS....for Bobby to realize that he can freeze things other than the water molecules around him and then train in doing it....

...but I think we all finally agree on that point, so I won't rehash it.

Back on topic....Thanos wins.

(unless it's Phoenix Jean, natch!)

Victor Von Doom
Priceless. wink

Besides, it's not a stretch at all. You're doing the same thing in a different way.

More direct analogy? "You've been sucking on ice to keep cool. Try putting it on your head instead, it keeps down swelling".

Again...that's a different use, yes. Requires no skill other than raising it to your head.

Hey, Michael Jordan. You throw basketballs into hoops right? It's what you do. Throw it into this basket, concealed behind a wall.

Not saying the evolution would have taken years: just disputed the fact that because it's latent...it can be done right now.

demigawd
Again...that's a different use, yes. Requires no skill other than raising it to your head.

Hey, Michael Jordan. You throw basketballs into hoops right? It's what you do. Throw it into this basket, concealed behind a wall.

Not saying the evolution would have taken years: just disputed the fact that because it's latent...it can be done right now.

More like a blindfolded dunk. He'll get it by the end of the day.

Creshosk

Conceled behind a holographic wall (blocks the vision, power/ball can still go through it), that's about the size of the basket ball hoop (its a similar sized target conceled by a similar sized veiling)

Victor Von Doom
More like a blindfolded dunk. He'll get it by the end of the day.

Perhaps. Either way, I was stressing the development needed, be that what it may.

Does anyone have a scenario in which the X-Men could win?

Obviously we've already had the Colossus one punch KO, so something different.

Tha C-Master
HAHA Thanos would ***** slap colossus. I think this thread is funny, its like adding me to a fight between holyfield and tyson, the rest of the Xmen are useless. If it is Phoniex Jean than its a stalemate as Thanos being immortal and same as the force so eternal tie, thanos would get tired and make something to absorb her power, neautralize it, or just say i got better things to do and walk away. phoenix OWNS thanos, get it right people...

Victor Von Doom
phoenix OWNS thanos, get it right people...

How do you see it going though?

Tha C-Master
How do you see it going though?

Are we talking about the phoenix that gave galactus trouble?

Because if we are...

Victor Von Doom
Are we talking about the phoenix that gave galactus trouble?

Because if we are...

Peeow peeow! (Don't worry, hardly anyone will know what I'm on about)

What do you see happening though?

Lest we delve into the rules debacle again.

demigawd
Phoenix incinerating Thanos, mostly.

Victor Von Doom
Someone call the Thanos fans!

Tha C-Master

Lest we delve into the rules debacle again.

I have no need nor interest to go through that again, as we know plot devices are what will cause a victory for thanos.

We are talking cosmic and above, so a silly DBZ blast should do it.

I'm a bigger fan of thanos myself...

Creshosk

Lest we delve into the rules debacle again. What? You mean holding back?

Not really that much of a worry for the one who could bring him back after killing him.

Besides we don't need to kill him (since he probably can't be killed other than blinking him out) either.

Victor Von Doom
What? You mean holding back?

Not really that much of a worry for the one who could bring him back after killing him.

Besides we don't need to kill him (since he probably can't be killed other than blinking him out) either.

I was of the impression that he can't be 'blinked out' either.

Creshosk
I was of the impression that he can't be 'blinked out' either. If the universe he's in is destroyed, he's gone uinless he finds a way to survive its destruction. Like a cosmic egg, or simply being outside of it.

As a FF fan you should understand how marvel has the different realities set up, right?

Since 616 thing once met his alternate self from an alternate reality?

Victor Von Doom
If the universe he's in is destroyed, he's gone uinless he finds a way to survive its destruction.

I thought he was still out of favour with both Death and Oblivion-preventing both occurrences.

As a FF fan you should understand how marvel has the different realities set up, right?

Explain the following- how do you suddenly make the leap in logic that I am an FF fan, and do not like the X-Men? The fact that I gave them the slightest of chances against the X-Men?

Don't speak condescendingly to me please, it's both unnecessary and innaccurate.

Creshosk
I thought he was still out of favour with both Death and Oblivion-preventing both occurrences. Death and Oblivion are both Universal characters,

Phoenix is shown outside of the 616 universe, HOLDING the 616 universe in her hand.

She can bring people back to life with a thought. Seems like she overrides descions made by Death do'nt you think?

Explain the following- how do you suddenly make the leap in logic that I am an FF fan, and do not like the X-Men? The fact that I gave them the slightest of chances against the X-Men?

Don't speak condescendingly to me please, it's both unnecessary and innaccurate. When did I say that you didn't like the X-men? I said that as an FF fan you should be familiar with the events when the FF characters strayed outside of the 616 universe.

Victor Von Doom
Death and Oblivion are both Universal characters,

Phoenix is shown outside of the 616 universe, HOLDING the 616 universe in her hand.

She can bring people back to life with a thought. Seems like she overrides descions made by Death do'nt you think?

When did I say that you didn't like the X-men? I said that as an FF fan you should be familiar with the events when the FF characters strayed outside of the 616 universe.

Jesus. Phoenix as well now? Wasn't she powerful enough already?

Which comic was it, of the 231 X-Men ones?

Creshosk
Jesus. Phoenix as well now? Wasn't she powerful enough already?Different writers different ideas of how much is too powerful and how much is not enough.

That's why we get retcons that change the story. Like after Phoenix (II) went dark phoenix and destroyed the sun, a writer thought she was too powerful so killed her off.

Well, then someone else decided that killing off jean was a mistake so they brought her back wiithout the phoenix powers. Explaining that she was actuallyin a cacoon on the ocean floor.

Then another one decided she was better with the powers so they gave them back and made her Phoenix (IV)

Then another one thought she was too powerful again and killed her off again.

Then another one thought that once again killing her was bad, so they bring her back in a fashion, where she's outside of the 616-verse holding the 616-verse, where she fixes it.

Now we get to wait and see what happens next.

Which comic was it, of the 231 X-Men ones? You can probably track down some of GS's essays to get a more descriptive explination with references to where these different events take place.

Victor Von Doom
Different writers different ideas of how much is too powerful and how much is not enough.

That's why we get retcons that change the story. Like after Phoenix (II) went dark phoenix and destroyed the sun, a writer thought she was too powerful so killed her off.

Well, then someone else decided that killing off jean was a mistake so they brought her back wiithout the phoenix powers. Explaining that she was actuallyin a cacoon on the ocean floor.

Then another one decided she was better with the powers so they gave them back and made her Phoenix (IV)

Then another one thought she was too powerful again and killed her off again.

Then another one thought that once again killing her was bad, so they bring her back in a fashion, where she's outside of the 616-verse holding the 616-verse, where she fixes it.

Now we get to wait and see what happens next.

Yeah, is one of the worst character progressions yet in my opinion. Is up there with Superman.

You can probably track down some of GS's essays

I think someone painted a wall nearby recently. Might go watch that dry.

who?-kid
colossus can beat zeus,surfer, and odin like they were nothing.....read some comics.....
No he can't. Even Captain Marvel, Black Knight, Thor, dr. Druid, Captain America, She-Hulk and Namor (did I forget anyone) didn't stand a chance against Zeus.

Now Zeus vs Thanos - that would be a fight. Or did it already happen (I didn't think so) ?

Creshosk
No he can't. Even Captain Marvel, Black Knight, Thor, dr. Druid, Captain America, She-Hulk and Namor (did I forget anyone) didn't stand a chance against Zeus.

Now Zeus vs Thanos - that would be a fight. Or did it already happen (I didn't think so) ? There was one where Odin was fighting Thanos and Surfer.

Not sure about Zeus though.

Tha C-Master

Now Zeus vs Thanos - that would be a fight. Or did it already happen (I didn't think so) ? He's talking about colossus prime, the one who has spent 1000 years in a trash compactor... wink

Creshosk
He's talking about colossus prime, the one who has spent 1000 years in a trash compactor... wink LMFAO! laughing out loud laughing lol rolling on floor laughing

Victor Von Doom
Thanos hasn't fought Zeus.

who?-kid
There was one where Odin was fighting Thanos and Surfer.

Not sure about Zeus though.
Zeus is underrated. Odin is more powerful, but Zeus is more than a match for Thanos. I could be wrong, but in a fight, I would bet my money on Zeus.

Creshosk
Thanos hasn't fought Zeus. Didn't think so.

Zeus is underrated. Odin is more powerful, but Zeus is more than a match for Thanos. I could be wrong, but in a fight, I would bet my money on Zeus. I'm not saying he couldn't. I was just saying that I didn't think Zeus had fought Thanos.

Tha C-Master
LMFAO! laughing out loud laughing lol rolling on floor laughing

colossus prime vs kirbilactus, who wins?

Creshosk
colossus prime vs kirbilactus, who wins? That's a tough one. . .

colossus17
colossus prime vs kirbilactus, who wins?

colossus prime easily.....

Tha C-Master
I wish x had that picture of kirbilactus...

xmarksthespot
Colossus Prime ain't got nothin on this omniverse eating monstrosity...
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/anticryste/galkirb.jpg

Tha C-Master
sooo cute...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.