Essential Metal Albums

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RagnaViper
The following is a list of the essential metal albums. It's official in no way, and feel free to add to the list.

I'll start off with the three "M"s:

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Probably one of the greatest metal albums of all time, Master of Puppets is your first essential. This is easily Metallica in their finest hour and is the same reason why people can hate all their recent stuff yet still consider themselves a fan.
Other high recommendations by this artist:
Ride the Lightning
Kill 'Em All

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
Number of the Beast here is also an album of extremely high recommendation. This is arguably Maiden's best work (though I'm more of a Powerslave fan).
Other high recommendations by this artist:
All of their other albums. Seriously.

Megadeth - Rust in Peace
This and Peace Sells are what really make Megadeth so awesome. The other albums are top notch too, but these two stand out as their best. With classic Megadeth songs such as Hangar 18 and Holy Wars, along with my personal favorites Take No Prisoners and Tornado of Souls. The rest of the tracks are top notch as well.
Other recommendations:
Every one of them except for The World Needs a Hero and Risk.

Pantera - Far Beyond Driven

Dream Evil - The Book of Heavy Metal

Kreator - Pleasure to Kill

Judas Priest - Painkiller

Dio - Holy Diver

Victor Von Doom
Care to define metal?

RagnaViper
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Care to define metal?

Wikipedia is your friend.

As said on the site, metal is defined by it's distorted guitars, powerful drums, and loud bass.

I would have mentioned the Black Sabbath album Paranoid, but there's this whole argument going on whether they're metal or hard rock.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by RagnaViper

As said on the site, metal is defined by it's distorted guitars, powerful drums, and loud bass.

I would have mentioned the Black Sabbath album Paranoid, but there's this whole argument going on whether they're metal or hard rock.

I didn't ask what the accepted definition was, I asked how you are defining it, for the purposes of this thread.

The above description would apply to The Prodigy.

As you state, there is a big overlap between metal and hard rock, so I was asking how you are defining it here.

What wouldn't be metal? What would?

RagnaViper
I didn't ask what the accepted definition was, I asked how you are defining it, for the purposes of this thread.

The above description would apply to The Prodigy.

As you state, there is a big overlap between metal and hard rock, so I was asking how you are defining it here.

What wouldn't be metal? What would?

The main thing with metal is distorted guitars. Hard rock uses distorted guitars as well, but metal uses it FAR more. Another major thing is the drumming. Normally there's a fair bit of double bass. If you need an example of metal drumming, compare the following band's drumming: Metallica and Quiet Riot. I'm not a drummer myself, but you should be able to differentiate metal and hard rock drumming from these two bands. I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty bad at explaining drumming. The easiest way to recognise metal is with the distorted guitars. Metal uses loads of it.

If you're questioning a band's metalness, just ask me and I'll try my best to clarify.

Victor Von Doom
Well, I have my own opinions on what is metal as well. Just thought it'd be easier for the thread's sake if people know what's expected.

A lot of metal doesn't use distorted guitars as much as overdriven guitars.

Oh well, suppose it's just gonna be whatever people think it is.

I'd suggest anything by Tool; SOAD; Black Sabbath; DEP from Calculating Infinity onwards; anything by Fantomas.

Irony being I could argue a case for all the previous being in a different genre.

MOP is probbaly the definitive metal album in my opinion (while not being my favourite). Has the perfect mix of quality and classic status.

RagnaViper
Well, I have my own opinions on what is metal as well. Just thought it'd be easier for the thread's sake if people know what's expected.

A lot of metal doesn't use distorted guitars as much as overdriven guitars.

Oh well, suppose it's just gonna be whatever people think it is.

I'd suggest anything by Tool; SOAD; Black Sabbath; DEP from Calculating Infinity onwards; anything by Fantomas.

Irony being I could argue a case for all the previous being in a different genre.

MOP is probbaly the definitive metal album in my opinion (while not being my favourite). Has the perfect mix of quality and classic status.

Agreed on the MOP thing. My personal favorite metal album is Iron Maiden's Powerslave, but MOP is the more definitive album.

One thing though, could you define overdriven guitars? I'm not familiar with that terminology.

Victor Von Doom
Distortion pedals literally distort the tone, overdrive is more like a volume/power boost, without distorting the original tone.

This thread must be setting a record at the moment: every view has led to a reply.

RagnaViper
Distortion pedals literally distort the tone, overdrive is more like a volume/power boost, without distorting the original tone.

This thread must be setting a record at the moment: every view has led to a reply.

big grin

Thanks for the explanation. Anyway, I'm fairly certain that most metal bands use distortion (if not all of them). If a band doesn't use distortion but uses a major volume boost, chances are that they're hard rock with metal influences.

Victor Von Doom
big grin

Thanks for the explanation. Anyway, I'm fairly certain that most metal bands use distortion (if not all of them). If a band doesn't use distortion but uses a major volume boost, chances are that they're hard rock with metal influences.

They probably do all use it at some point...much of the guitar on MOP is an overdrive pedal though, not a distortion pedal.

Anyway that's here nor there, metal definitely has powerful guitar in some sense. Heavy drumming- likely to involve double bass.

I often feel that the vocal is what defines metal.

ANYWAY... that's a whole other topic.

Essential metal albums anyone?

Alpha Centauri
Cowboys From Hell by Pantera: One of those cases where if you have to ask why, you've not heard it.

Master of Puppets by Metallica: Pretty much been said.

Paranoid by Black Sabbath: Many could argue that it's a template for what hard rock and metal would become. Though I feel it's more rock, it's probably allowed here.

Calculating Infinity/Miss Machine by The Dillinger Escape Plan: The first is way more heavy and has a much rawer sound on the vocals. The latter is much more melodic, because Greg is a better singer than Dimitris, but can also go crazy with the vocals. Whilst I think Calculating Infinity is the definining Dillinger album, I'd most certainly recommend Miss Machine.

As said before: Tool, Fantomas, System.

Prometheus - The Disciple of Fire and Demise by Emperor: Incredible work of genius considering Ihsahn wrote it all on his own. Has possibly the creepiest riff ever in the song Grey. Very exciting, fresh, always great to listen to.

-AC

nick1811
pantera's 'far beyond driven' should be replaced with cowboys from hell.

slayers 'reign in blood' and 'seasons in the abyss' should be on their

also:

sepultura - chaos A.D
metallica - ride the lightning

and possibly:
opeth - deliverance
dream theater - train of thought
The Haunted - made me do it
Mastodon - Leviathan

and, in my opinion stick out tongue :

lamb of god - ashes of the wake
lamb of god - as the palaces burn
caliban - the opposite from within
cannibal corpse - tomb of the mutilated
children of bodom - follow the reaper
god forbid - gone forever
heaven shall burn - antigone
necrophagist - epitaph
novembers doom - the pale haunt departure
primus - frizzle fry
rage against the machine - rage against the machine
shadows fall - the war within
shadows fall - the art of balance
slipknot - vol 3: (the subliminal verses)

Alpha Centauri
Yes, I forgot Leviathan.

Also anything Opeth, at all.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Didn't mention Opeth so as not to exhume the genre argument that's currently dead.

I'd agree with Subliminal Verses, Leviathan, Prometheus and any prior Emperor really.

Will RATM be the first controversial pick...

Df02
anything by High on Fire stick out tongue

nick1811
Originally posted by Df02
anything by High on Fire stick out tongue

i saw them live, matt pike's shredding was amazing.

Alpha Centauri
Doesn't Matt tend to try and deafen his audience though?

-AC

nick1811
whenever he sung almost the whole crowd flinched! and i was stnading right next to the amps so it was even worse for me!

RagnaViper
*cracks knuckles*

Opeth isn't what I would call essential. It's worth the listen, but it's an acquired taste.
Dillinger isn't metal but (despite the fact that I really hate them) it is worth a listen.
Neither SOAD, Tool, or Fantomas are metal but definitely worth a listen.

EDIT-
OK, SOAD can be considered metal but it's pretty arguable. Not bad, just not essential metal.

Slayer's Reign in Blood is quality stuff, but check out some Kreator before you delve deeper.
Sepultra's good but their 80s stuff was the best.
Good call on Dream Theater.
Haunted and Mastodon aren't necessarily essential but they're good. Better for after you've checked out the three m's.

Nick, I'll leave your opinion alone for now, but I will give you a nod for Children of Bodom.

Df02
Meshuggah - too difficult to choose 1 album

Alpha Centauri
*cracks knuckles*

Opeth isn't what I would call essential. It's worth the listen, but it's an acquired taste.
Dillinger isn't metal but (despite the fact that I really hate them) it is worth a listen.

All the bands mentioned are more then easily capable of being classified as metal bands. Don't understand why you tried to become Mr. T by cracking knuckles then saying it. You're wrong.

Opeth not being essential is the only relatively subjective thing there, but given how they are doing something no other metal band is doing, I'd say they are.

EDIT-
OK, SOAD can be considered metal but it's pretty arguable. Not bad, just not essential metal.

They were one of the first nu-metal bands. Mezmerize is an essential album if ever there was one.

*Slayer's Reign in Blood is quality stuff, but check out some Kreator before you delve deeper.
Sepultra's good but their 80s stuff was the best.
Good call on Dream Theater.
Haunted and Mastodon aren't necessarily essential but they're good. Better for after you've checked out the three m's.

Nick, I'll leave your opinion alone for now, but I will give you a nod for Children of Bodom.

Can I ask why you're assuming you're in a position to give people "a nod" when you claim to "know" genres and yet just got everything completely wrong near enough?

-AC

Victor Von Doom

This is why I asked you to define it.

Df02
This is why I asked you to define it.

well considering all of them could be classed as metal, you should ask someone else to define it laughing

bardock
Guns N' Roses- Apeitite for destruction

nick1811
Originally posted by bardock
Guns N' Roses- Apeitite for destruction

not sure thats metal, more classic/hard rock

RagnaViper
Opeth is a very acquired taste. That's why I said they aren't essential.

Tool - Not metal. Some of the stuff on AEnima could be considered prog metal, but overall the band is a progressive rock band. Metal is an influence though.

Fantomas - About as metal as Mr. Bungle. They have the elements but they're much more of an experimental band.

System of a Down wasn't one of the first nu-metal bands. There are a few arguments that the band is nu-metal but the band has actually transcended the genre.

AC, why don't you prove me wrong instead of just saying I am? Don't waste my time with "OMIGAWD UR WRONG". I'd love to see you go to a site like metal archives and claim Tool or Fantomas is metal. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

RagnaViper
Originally posted by nick1811
not sure thats metal, more classic/hard rock

Correct. Not necessarily classic hard rock, but hard rock nonetheless. It is a solid album though.

bardock
still a good album though

Lana
I'd definitely say that Opeth and SOAD belong on there. I'd also agree with Tool and Fantomas.

Alpha Centauri
Tool - Not metal. Some of the stuff on AEnima could be considered prog metal, but overall the band is a progressive rock band. Metal is an influence though.

They're more of a metal band than they are prog rock. To claim Tool are a progressive rock band overall is just utterly ridiculous. They don't even class themselves as metal or prog rock while we're on the topic. They class themselves as hard rock, which they are, if anything. But they're most certainly more metal than prog.

Fantomas - About as metal as Mr. Bungle. They have the elements but they're much more of an experimental band.

The point was that they can be considered metal.

System of a Down wasn't one of the first nu-metal bands. There are a few arguments that the band is nu-metal but the band has actually transcended the genre.

I don't think System are nu-metal now, but they were.

AC, why don't you prove me wrong instead of just saying I am? Don't waste my time with "OMIGAWD UR WRONG". I'd love to see you go to a site like metal archives and claim Tool or Fantomas is metal. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

You don't though do you? Tool are prog rock, Fantomas are as metal as Mr. Bungle, Dillinger AREN'T metal.

You clearly think you know what you're talking about. The whole purpose of this thread was essential metal albums, correct? Those bands can be considered metal, easily, due to what constitutes a metal band. If you don't think they are, do as you were asked and as you're responsible for and define what the criteria is.

-AC

Df02
surely 'progressive' is just a prefix... much in the same way as 'emotional'
you surely can't just be a 'progressive' band - you'd have to be progressing in your genre of music?

couldn't that mean they could be progressive metal? confused

Deathblow
Metallica - Ride The Lighting
Metallica - And Justice For All
Slayer - No Mercy
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Sepultura - Arise
Sepultura - Chaos AD
In Flames - The Jester Race
In Flames - Whoracle
Dark Tranqulity - Character
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick

+ everything Opeth have ever done. That's all you need.

RagnaViper
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
They're more of a metal band than they are prog rock. To claim Tool are a progressive rock band overall is just utterly ridiculous. They don't even class themselves as metal or prog rock while we're on the topic. They class themselves as hard rock, which they are, if anything. But they're most certainly more metal than prog.

The point was that they can be considered metal.

I don't think System are nu-metal now, but they were.

You don't though do you? Tool are prog rock, Fantomas are as metal as Mr. Bungle, Dillinger AREN'T metal.

You clearly think you know what you're talking about. The whole purpose of this thread was essential metal albums, correct? Those bands can be considered metal, easily, due to what constitutes a metal band. If you don't think they are, do as you were asked and as you're responsible for and define what the criteria is.

-AC

Saying Tool is more metal than prog is by far one of the most idiotic things I've heard today. They frequently use very unusual time signatures, have very long songs, and has a very inventive sound. All these are key with prog. In short, the band has hidden their major metal influences well. Before you try to continue arguing this, remember that Pink Floyd (one of the defining bands of the genre) are often argued to not be progressive in the same style Tool is argued.

System *was* nu-metal, but they weren't one of the first. Their first album was released in 1998, quite a bit of time after nu-metal was invented.

I actually did define metal in one of the first posts. If you have to, check Metal Archives. If it's not on there, you can be 99% sure they're not metal.

Victor Von Doom

This is the problem though, you defined metal as that- all of which apply to Tool.

RagnaViper
This is the problem though, you defined metal as that- all of which apply to Tool.

Yes, they do apply to Tool. However, that's not all there is to metal nor did I say those three attributes are the only things that apply. They're only defining characteristics. Tool is MUCH more of a prog rock band.

Victor Von Doom
Or maybe the old 'one genre' thing just isn't working.

Lana
Actually, if you look under progressive metal on Wikipedia, it says this: "Tool would be the most popular group in the genre."

Kinda killed your argument, huh?

Alpha Centauri
Saying Tool is more metal than prog is by far one of the most idiotic things I've heard today. They frequently use very unusual time signatures, have very long songs, and has a very inventive sound. All these are key with prog. In short, the band has hidden their major metal influences well. Before you try to continue arguing this, remember that Pink Floyd (one of the defining bands of the genre) are often argued to not be progressive in the same style Tool is argued.

I didn't say they don't have prog elements. I said they're more metal than prog. Opeth have HUGE songs, time changes, very inventive. They're not prog in my opinion. King Crimson to me, are prog and while they are Tool's biggest influence arguably, Tool sound NOTHING alike to them. They are much harder and much more driven.

System *was* nu-metal, but they weren't one of the first. Their first album was released in 1998, quite a bit of time after nu-metal was invented.

One of the more forefrontal bands is what I meant.

I actually did define metal in one of the first posts. If you have to, check Metal Archives. If it's not on there, you can be 99% sure they're not metal.

No, because that's just a list isn't it? Compiled by someone who thinks metal is something.

-AC

Deathblow

I'm not starting another sub-argument here, just giving my opinion. I personally don't class SOAD as a nu metal band. They may be part of that wave of new (not nu) metal, but, and this is according to a definition of nu metal you gave a week or so ago, they do not have a DJ, they do not use rap vocals (singing fast is not rapping), and they do have the occasional solo.

RagnaViper
I didn't say they don't have prog elements. I said they're more metal than prog. Opeth have HUGE songs, time changes, very inventive. They're not prog in my opinion. King Crimson to me, are prog and while they are Tool's biggest influence arguably, Tool sound NOTHING alike to them. They are much harder and much more driven.

Both Opeth and Tool are prog bands. It really is that simple. You may not consider them prog bands, but they are. I do not feel like repeating a past conversation with you, so let's drop that right here. Believe what you want.

No, because that's just a list isn't it? Compiled by someone who thinks metal is something.

-AC

Just a list? No. Look over the site for more than two seconds. Metal Archives is by far the best reference site for anything metal.

RagnaViper
Originally posted by Deathblow
I'm not starting another sub-argument here, just giving my opinion. I personally don't class SOAD as a nu metal band. They may be part of that wave of new (not nu) metal, but, and this is according to a definition of nu metal you gave a week or so ago, they do not have a DJ, they do not use rap vocals (singing fast is not rapping), and they do have the occasional solo.

No worries about the sub-argument. The genre of System of a Down is one of the most debatable. I'll just make sure we have a few things clear. First of all, not all nu metal bands have DJs or use rapping. I've never seen Korn use either. Those are just fairly common elements.

They do have an occasional solo, but some nu metal bands have solos too, they're just normally very short. System of a Down does have solos once in a while, but they're relatively short.

Personally, I'd find the band to be metal though.

Lana
Both Opeth and Tool are prog bands. It really is that simple. You may not consider them prog bands, but they are. I do not feel like repeating a past conversation with you, so let's drop that right here. Believe what you want.

Just a list? No. Look over the site for more than two seconds. Metal Archives is by far the best reference site for anything metal.

Well, you were using Wikipedia to define metal, and it says on there that Tool IS metal.

And that site you linked is only the opinions of those who made it, it's not anything definitive.

Alpha Centauri

No, they're actually not. I know they're not because I listen to prog bands, metal bands and rock bands. Tool most of all, know they aren't. I think they have a bit more authority over saying what their sound is. Typical escape route.

Yes. But it's a list compiled by some metal fan going by his opinion isn't it?

Yes.

-AC

Deathblow
No worries about the sub-argument. The genre of System of a Down is one of the most debatable. I'll just make sure we have a few things clear. First of all, not all nu metal bands have DJs or use rapping. I've never seen Korn use either. Those are just fairly common elements.

They do have an occasional solo, but some nu metal bands have solos too, they're just normally very short. System of a Down does have solos once in a while, but they're relatively short.

Personally, I'd find the band to be metal though.

Korn have quite a few songs with rapping in them, although most are guest performances so I guess arguably they're uncountable.

Oh yeah definitely metal, never thought of them as anything but metal...

RagnaViper
Originally posted by Lana
Well, you were using Wikipedia to define metal, and it says on there that Tool IS metal.

And that site you linked is only the opinions of those who made it, it's not anything definitive.

It states that Tool's genre is under argument. It mentions them having metal aspects, but never says that they are metal.

Wikipedia for the most part is pretty accurate, but in truth they have a lot of issues in many areas music related. I remember mentioning that before somewhere. My apologies if it wasn't in this thread.

AC, I'm going to tell you again that Tool is not metal. This will be the last time. If you really don't believe me, listen to Lateralus again.

As for Metal Archives, you'd be hard pressed to find a more accurate site. There are some things that need tweaking, but it is still far more accurate than any other metal site. AC, the site is not based on a single metalhead's opinion but a very large and knowledgeable community.

Alpha Centauri
AC, I'm going to tell you again that Tool is not metal. This will be the last time. If you really don't believe me, listen to Lateralus again.

I'm going to tell you again that I don't think they're a metal band. Stop being such a presumptuous fool. In this debate, they are more metal than they are prog. 4 releases. Aenima is packed full of metal, Undertow also if you wanna be technical, and so is Opiate. So if you're so sure of your opinion that Lateralus is proof that they're prog and not metal, albeit wrongly, then fine. 3 other releases outnumber you.

As for Metal Archives, you'd be hard pressed to find a more accurate site. There are some things that need tweaking, but it is still far more accurate than any other metal site. AC, the site is not based on a single metalhead's opinion but a very large and knowledgeable community.

Community of? Metal fans.

Stating their? Opinion.

So it's a list of? Compiled opinions.

-AC

RagnaViper
Insults, AC? I'm hurt. Nothing hurts worse than being called a presumptuous fool by some dude on the internets. Oh, and a bit of advice on your debating. Using large words to make you look smarter only makes your argument harder for some people to grasp. Politicians play that game for a reason.
Sure, the previous albums had some metal to it, but currently the band is a progressive rock band with their most recent release being Lateralus.
Let me elaborate. Say a metal band went mallcore. They had four releases (each being metal albums) previous to their change. So when their first mallcore album comes out, would the band still be metal? No. Simple as that.

If you're gonna call that site on opinions, you'd be right. It is compiled opinions. What differentiates that from Wikipedia? I'll give you a hint. Nothing. It's user effected too. Besides, what are you stating? Your opinion. I'd rather listen to the opinion a community of highly knowledgeable metalheads than I would you. No offense of course.

Alpha Centauri
Insults, AC? I'm hurt. Nothing hurts worse than being called a presumptuous fool by some dude on the internets. Oh, and a bit of advice on your debating. Using large words to make you look smarter only makes your argument harder for some people to grasp. Politicians play that game for a reason.

Good thing that I don't do that then isn't it?

Sure, the previous albums had some metal to it, but currently the band is a progressive rock band with their most recent release being Lateralus.
Let me elaborate. Say a metal band went mallcore. They had four releases (each being metal albums) previous to their change. So when their first mallcore album comes out, would the band still be metal? No. Simple as that.

The previous albums had SOME metal to it? Not only am I now of the belief that you skim through these albums, but upon the use of the term "mallcore", I'm convinced you are one of these guys who NEEDS compulsively to put bands into genres so you can namedrop.

Tool are not a prog band, because other prog bands sound nothing like Tool, in the very least. A bulk of Lateralus is more metal and hard rock than anything to do with prog. Ticks and Leeches, The Grudge, Schism, Parabola.

If you're gonna call that site on opinions, you'd be right. It is compiled opinions. What differentiates that from Wikipedia? I'll give you a hint. Nothing. It's user effected too. Besides, what are you stating? Your opinion. I'd rather listen to the opinion a community of highly knowledgeable metalheads than I would you. No offense of course.

Well the only difference between me and them is I don't live the metalhead lifestyle which is, of course, totally separate from the music. Which is what we're discussing. There's an extreme chance I know as much, if not more than those people on metal itself. If the fact that they hop under the metalhead umbrella and adhere to the stereotype somehow makes their opinion of an unrelated medium, more credible to you, then you have no credible opinion at all.

-AC

SlipknoT
If we're talking Most important Albums then...

Slayer - Reign in Blood (Above all)
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Slipknot - Subliminal Verses vol. 3

Cinemaddiction
New Slipknot album is too artsy to be considered "essential".

Anycrap, amidst all these metal elitist girlfights, I'd suggest the vastly underrated All Shall Perish's "Hate. Malice. Revenge". It's another one of those "under the radar" metal bands that would blow you away from the first track. One of a very few select newcomer metal bands whos debut is better than 1/2 of the current genre's offerings.

Same goes for Chimaira's new album. I listened to it for 5 days straight. Nothing else.

tabby999
much like Cines coments above, i cant recomend Soilworks - Stabbing the Drama highly enough. an impulse buy on my friends behalf led to me and him listening to it for 5 days when we were on holidays then all the way home. techinically superb, an experiance from begining to end

Impediment
Hmmmm..........lemme think...........for me, my essential metal albums are:

Black Sabbath-Paranoid
Led Zeppelin-1st Album
Iron Maiden-Number of the Beast
Slayer-Reign in Blood & South of Heaven
Metallica-Master of Puppets & ...And Justice for All
Ozzy-Blizzard of Ozz
Pantera-Cowboys from Hell
Sepultura-Chaos A.D.
Deicide-Legion
Fear Factory-Demanufacture

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.