Essential Hardcore albums

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Df02
since it's the fashion at the moment.
anything in the vast spectrum of the Hardcore genre acceptable.

personally:
- Madball - N.Y.H.C
- Agnostic Front - Victim in Pain
- Sick of it all - Call to arms
- Throwdown - Beyond repair
- Hatebreed - Perseverence
- Terror - One with the underdogs

Bands rooted to hardcore:
- Converge - Jane Doe
- Saetia - A Retrospective
- The Dillinger Escape Plan - Irony is a dead scene

that'll do for now, hard one to do because of the various hardcore styles, coulda stuck hundreds of albums in but thought id see if/what anyone puts in

Deathblow
You're such a sheep Df, it sickens me no

Personally:

Snapcase - Progression Through Unlearning
Willhaven - El Diablo
Willhaven - Carpe Diem
Hatebreed - Satisfaction Is The Death of Desire
Vision of Disorder - Vision of Disorder
Converge - Petitioning The Empty Sky
Converge - Jane Doe
Strife - In This Defiance
Coalesce - Revolution Is Just Listening
The Dillenger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinty

Alpha Centauri
Jane Doe is an AMAZING album, in my opinion.

-AC

Df02
haha... i ordered Willhaven - El Diablo and Willhaven - WHVN on 12" vinyl today smile along with a Neil Perry EP on 7" picture disk

strange thing is i forgot to put them in :-S
Jane Doe is a really good album, disputable as 'essential hardcore' but definately was an essential hardcore buy for me

Victor Von Doom
Irony is a Dead Scene is too good.

Df02
like to see Cine's choices, he's the resident Hardcore elitist (in the Hatebreed/Madball/etc sense anyway)

oh and i was gonna make an 'essential emo albums' thread - just to watch the flames slowly engulf it haha

Df02
http://www.myspace.com/internationalsuperheroesofhardcore

haha

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Df02
like to see Cine's choices, he's the resident Hardcore elitist (in the Hatebreed/Madball/etc sense anyway)

Too true. In fact, so elitist, I only have one album suggestion.

Superjoint Ritual - A Lethal Dose of American Hatred..which happens to be an album virtually NOBODY has ever heard of, and wouldn't even consider "hardcore", when in fact every single element is there. Very politcal, personal, heavy album.

I don't like Converge, it's someone's screeching while being slaughtered set to cliche guitar riffs. I don't like DEP, because like The Locust, it's a form of expression that's just too unstable and unstrctured for me to recognize as a form of "music".

True hardcore music has been dead for a long time now. Everyone's too focused on fitting images for scene kids to follow, and abandoning what made hardcore, well, hardcore, which was taking kids feelings and situations to account. Hatebreed and Throwdown are the only bands I know that's still true to the game, although Throwdown have REALLY gone soft since "Haymaker" was released.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Too true. In fact, so elitist, I only have one album suggestion.

Superjoint Ritual - A Lethal Dose of American Hatred..which happens to be an album virtually NOBODY has ever heard of, and wouldn't even consider "hardcore", when in fact every single element is there. Very politcal, personal, heavy album.

I always preferred Down to Superjoint.

Alpha Centauri
Cliche guitar riffs? Bit of an obscure term.

I find it odd that you pop at a band for being soft then pop at Converge for being as heavy as they are.

I love Down II. If that counts as Hardcore.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
umm...

Minor Threat - Complete Discography
Black Flag - Damaged

those should be on the top of any list that ever mentions hardcore. please learn your musical history, people.

also:

The Germs - MIA: The Complete Anthology
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
BIg Black - Songs about F*cking
Husker Du - Metal Circus

after minor threat and black flag broke up/started making different kinds of music, hardcore as a form of music died. not because it didn't sell anymore - but because bands were just rehashing the same things that ian mackaye and henry rollins and co were doing in the early/mid 80s.

Cinemaddiction
Cliche hardcore guitar riffs. The 3 string up tempos, the neck slides which Hatebreed have absolutely KILLED, etc. The atypical, macho, musclehead hardcore riffs.

It's just that Throwdown's last album was bland. All mid-tempo, head nodding groove-core. The ideology is there, but the approach isn't as aggressive anymore. As for SJR, their albums are totally different from one another. "Use Once and Destroy" was southern rock, like Down, which I only like "Nola". "II" is just too Gov't Mule sounding. The latest is just straight up Hardcore, with some real inventive shit.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by ElectricBugaloo
umm...

Black Flag - Damaged

those should be on the top of any list that ever mentions hardcore. please learn your musical history, people.

It doesn't have anything to do with history, it's personal preference, man. Honestly? Minor Threat are one trick ponies in my book. I appreciate their influence, but their sound is dated and mostly monotonous. I appreciate that they are 1/2 of the Godfathers of hardcore music, having brought the "message" element, while Bad Brains brought the breakdown, and the heavier element. I think Black Flag is overrated, as well. Hell, "Loose Nut", which is regarded as their best album is literal POP music! They were only together for 5 years, and while Rollins' lyrics were nothing to spit at, the music never really did it for me.

Unkut Yola
Deftones - Adrenaline
Static X - Wisconsin Death Trip
Necro Prefix For Death

Df02
Originally posted by ElectricBugaloo
umm...

Black Flag - Damaged

please get off your pedastool since music is relative.
and i'd stick Madball ahead of both those for Hardcore essentiality - although they aren't the birth, they sure are the finished matured package

Df02
Originally posted by Unkut Yola
Deftones - Adrenaline
Static X - Wisconsin Death Trip
Necro Prefix For Death

Metal thread is next 1 over

Unkut Yola
sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.