Do you think D.C will revert back to the pre-crisis days?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
I've seen a lot of evidence saying they are on their way, and it really does seem like it more and more.

Here's a few I found on the interweb.

--Wally West has turned into Barry Allen Lite; He now works for the same police precinct Barry did, has a secret identity, has been powered down to Barry Allen's levels, and spends most of his time fighting Rogues who shouldn't even make him break a sweat.

--Hal Jordan is now Green Lantern again, his past as a mass-murdering maniac swept conveniently under the rug by the worst plot device since the Spider Clone. Everyone trusts him just as they did pre-Crisis depite the fact that he actually DID succeed in destroying the universe when he was nutso, and the thing that corrupted him is STILL in the central power battery like it was before.

--Green Arrow is alive too.

--John's Byrne' thoughtful Krypton has been completely swept away for a much inferior silver-age reinterpretation from the much inferior Birthright. Superman has become close to his insane pre-crisis power levels, with a lot of the same lameness (new power of the week that we'll never see again: soul vision! Red sunlight instantly weakens him despite the fact he's supposed to be a solar energy battery with enough stored energy to move a planet!)

--The New Supergirl is Superman's cousin Kara from Krypton, and the well-written Supergirl created and fostered by Peter David, the character who was DC's Supergirl for 10 years, has compeletly and utterly disappeared.

--All post-Crisis Doom Patrol stories have been blatantly ret-conned out of existence in favor of a new DP based on--you guessed it--the Silver-Age DP characters.

--Any major characters who were introduced post Crisis are being killed off (Blue Beetle), shoved away into obscurity (Captain Atom), or reduced to supporting-character status (Connor Hawke, Kyle Rainer.)

So, do you think that D.C will basically retconn the events of crisis, making it like it never happend with the upcoming x-over?

If yes, is that a good thing?

olympian
I think so. Especially concerning Superman. They are already giving him new powers, out of nowhere.

Of course i dont see them doing exactly stories ala Pre Crisis, that would lead to another confusion that was the Crisis of Infinite Earths.

But at least.......some elements are going to be alike.

Scoobless
i've never read Crisis on Infinite Earths.... is it any good?

olympian
The saga itself its a good story. But the whole confusion that was the origin of it, was a total mess. You end up having three versions of the same character, each from a different earth and coexisting sometimes at the same time. Insane.

Pointinel
^that sucks if that's going to happen.

c'mon it's like pressing the reset button.

BENITO
A comic has to evolve so really you can't go back

Juntai
Originally posted by Scoobless
i've never read Crisis on Infinite Earths.... is it any good? The most monumental moment in comic history so far. It's when DC comics became he DC universe, and a constant continuum, something none of it's competitors had really done yet.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Juntai
The most monumental moment in comic history so far. It's when DC comics became he DC universe, and a constant continuum, something none of it's competitors had really done yet.

and then came hypertime smile

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by long pig
I've seen a lot of evidence saying they are on their way, and it really does seem like it more and more.

Here's a few I found on the interweb.

--Wally West has turned into Barry Allen Lite; He now works for the same police precinct Barry did, has a secret identity, has been powered down to Barry Allen's levels, and spends most of his time fighting Rogues who shouldn't even make him break a sweat.

--Hal Jordan is now Green Lantern again, his past as a mass-murdering maniac swept conveniently under the rug by the worst plot device since the Spider Clone. Everyone trusts him just as they did pre-Crisis depite the fact that he actually DID succeed in destroying the universe when he was nutso, and the thing that corrupted him is STILL in the central power battery like it was before.

--Green Arrow is alive too.

--John's Byrne' thoughtful Krypton has been completely swept away for a much inferior silver-age reinterpretation from the much inferior Birthright. Superman has become close to his insane pre-crisis power levels, with a lot of the same lameness (new power of the week that we'll never see again: soul vision! Red sunlight instantly weakens him despite the fact he's supposed to be a solar energy battery with enough stored energy to move a planet!)

--The New Supergirl is Superman's cousin Kara from Krypton, and the well-written Supergirl created and fostered by Peter David, the character who was DC's Supergirl for 10 years, has compeletly and utterly disappeared.

--All post-Crisis Doom Patrol stories have been blatantly ret-conned out of existence in favor of a new DP based on--you guessed it--the Silver-Age DP characters.

--Any major characters who were introduced post Crisis are being killed off (Blue Beetle), shoved away into obscurity (Captain Atom), or reduced to supporting-character status (Connor Hawke, Kyle Rainer.)

So, do you think that D.C will basically retconn the events of crisis, making it like it never happend with the upcoming x-over?

If yes, is that a good thing?

Silver age DC had some damn good stories smile as did bronze age smile trust me on this LP

Juntai
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
and then came hypertime smile Yeah, during The Kingdom a few years ago they introduced Hypertime.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Juntai
Yeah, during The Kingdom a few years ago they introduced Hypertime.

creating alternate realities smile

Juntai
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
creating alternate realities smile Alternate realities of the same Earth, not the same as the multiple Earths. Earth two Superman is still out there.. eventually he'll make his appearance I'm sure.

Creshosk
So pre-crisis is now also post-crisis 2

Or do we have pre, mid and post cirsises?

Khellendros
I don't care, really, except for the crap that's gonna start coming up in DC related debates now. I mean, I can't not read DC HARDER or anything. I'll snag IC off bittorrent like I did OWAW just to be able to say I witnessed the horror, but after that... meh.

long pig
Nah, there were no good SA stories.

Everything in D.C was written for 10 year olds, that's kinda why they changed everything, they realized that the readers have advanced and don't want read about krypto the super dog and other nonesense.

"Gee golly darn Superman, what can we do?!" "THIS looks like a job for Superman!"

Possibly Swamp-Thing is an exception, but anything about the big three was horrid.

Ultimate Ion
Eh. I thought Crisis on Infinite Earths was terrible. Not the event but the actual comics. It's no surprise it took so long for it to be collected.

And no I don't think DC is getting back that way. It's been said Infinite Crisis is about setting up the next generation of heroes to take at least some of the spotlight. That's why Donna is back even though nobody gave a damn about her, why Supergirl has potential beyond that of Kal-El, why all this crap is going on with Nightwing and why Superboy has started to develop powers outside of his TK.

DigiMark007
I loved the original Crisis. I knew jack about the old DC, but loved seeing how it became the new DC. Compelling art and story helped too, even if it was a bit confusing.

This is an interesting theory, but with the ridiculous number of places they could take DC, I don't see "backward" being the one they'll choose. The return of Pre-Crisis Supes (or even Barry, who apparently had some secret thing written into "Crisis" if anyone wanted to bring him back) would be completely unnecesary but hilarious.

And, while I'm spouting stuff I'm not terribly informed about, I predict the death of...(let's see, who would make a good one)...Alan Scott. He's been around forever, but has been supplanted by Hal as the truest Green Lantern. Even Kyle and John are as well-known as him anymore (thanks to the TV show for John). They should do the golden-oldie right and give him a Supergirl/Barry-like ending. He's a favorite of mine, so part of me hopes I'm wrong, but he was the first likely "big-name death" candidate that popped to my mind.

Pointinel
^man it's wally, trust me.

Ultimate Ion
Wally dying seems almost cliche. I'd bet on Wonder Woman dying if anyone.

Laminator_X
I just cant bring myself to care. D.C. actually had something special for a while there. After Crisis, they powered down quite a bit (except for Wally) and told some really interesting stories. As much as Hal's corruption was annoying, kyle's story was cool, and Hal's redemtion story in J.M. DeMeteis' Spectre series was was some of the most creative visionary comic writing I've see. Now, they've completely ignored that entire Spectre run to get hal back. For what? So he can talk to his ring and fight manhunters? For "all the cool story possabilities" around him being in the air force as a test pilot again? Please.

long pig
Yellow Fear Monster!!!!!

olympian
"Wally dying seems almost cliche. I'd bet on Wonder Woman dying if anyone."

Well there has been rumors over theyr boards, that Donna will be taking her place...

And yeah. Flash dying when a huge saga shows up its cliche already.

We`ve seen it in Crisis Of Infinite Earths, and then in Zero Hour again.

manjaro
all good theroies, the only thing left for them to do is make wonder woman powerless when a MAN ties her up and we're in businessbig grin

Pointinel
Originally posted by olympian
"Wally dying seems almost cliche. I'd bet on Wonder Woman dying if anyone."

Well there has been rumors over theyr boards, that Donna will be taking her place...

And yeah. Flash dying when a huge saga shows up its cliche already.

We`ve seen it in Crisis Of Infinite Earths, and then in Zero Hour again.

she's my second option, but when i heard there will be a WW movie i got doubts...

im almost completely sure wally will die tho.

then there's bats (since batman begins was already released and successful)

Ultimate Ion
One of the scripts for the WW movie had Diana dying early in the movie and the rest of it being about her replacement, Donna Troy. It was an early script though.

Besides, theres also a Flash movie coming out with Wally West which is releasing way before Wonder Woman.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.