The Lieutenant Gordon appreciation Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WindDancer
Come on guys! We all loved how Batman Begins brough us the image of Bruce and Batman. But we haven't given enough credit to Lieutenant (soon to be Commissioner in the sequel) Gordon. In the past films Gordon has always been illustrated as old man with no action. In BB his image was completely change. More active, full of action and willing to take risks to help Batman. Let's also give a round of applause to Gary Oldman for bringing the character to life.

*applaud*

NoFate007
I was incredibly pleased with Oldman/Nolan's portrayal of Gordon in Batman Begins, it was one of my favorite aspects. I just thought it was perfect.

braz
yea...he's the one who saved gotham too...not batmansad

chilled monkey
Originally posted by WindDancer
Come on guys! We all loved how Batman Begins brough us the image of Bruce and Batman. But we haven't given enough credit to Lieutenant (soon to be Commissioner in the sequel) Gordon. In the past films Gordon has always been illustrated as old man with no action. In BB his image was completely change. More active, full of action and willing to take risks to help Batman. Let's also give a round of applause to Gary Oldman for bringing the character to life.

*applaud*

I agree completly. It was good to see Gordon get the screen-time and active role he deserved.

Joker1237
And funny of him driving the Batmobill lol.

Batman Returns
meh. oldman was aight. not the saveing grace of this movie, but he was aight. i feel like he wasnt that important, could have done without him. him the drivin the batmobile was kinda stupid. i wish he never did that. ugh. its batmans car, not his. oh brother. was that supposed to be for comic relief? if so, it sure sucked. sick

sevenman
yea

b-dan

*applaud* played by my 4th fave actor most of my fav actors have been in batman movies jim carr, jack nicholson, christopher walken

b-dan
Originally posted by Batman Returns
meh. oldman was aight. not the saveing grace of this movie, but he was aight. i feel like he wasnt that important, could have done without him. him the drivin the batmobile was kinda stupid. i wish he never did that. ugh. its batmans car, not his. oh brother. was that supposed to be for comic relief? if so, it sure sucked. sick i laughed cuz he didn tknow what was happening when that chair went down and he fired the missels. And when he blew hte bridg up i lughed at that to when he screamd YES!!!

Bardock42
I found him portrayed very good...not comparable to earlier appearances...very nice actually...

sevenman
I appreciate that.

bakerboy
I think that he did a great job. That is the gordon character from the comics, not the fat and useless cop from the previous movies played by pat hingle. All the cast from batman begins was amazing.

Scarecrow756
Hear hear I applaud Gary Oldman for a brilliant performance in Batman Begins. After seeing Batman Begins, I seeked out Batman Year One and read and was even more pleased with Gary Oldman for playing such good Lieutenant James Gorden in Batman Begins. I look forward to his role in the next movie and working with Harvey Dent and Batman to bring the Joker down. Should be spectacular, can not wait til 2008.

sevenman
whats wrong with Pat Hingle?

Zarathustra
I applaud Gary Oldman for somehow stepping out of Mazzucchelli and Miller's Year One to play the role of Jim Gordon. Honestly he looks exactly like Gordon as depicted in those comics.
He was, however, given a bit less screentime than I would have liked, but then I would have so much liked it if the whole film was Year One, which is about as much about Gordon as it is about Batman.

FistOfThe North
But we haven't given enough credit to Lieutenant (soon to be Commissioner in the sequel)

Didn't he just become a Lieutenant? If he becomes commissioner in the sequel it must take place years after "Batman Begins", but how can that be. Batman just found out about the Joker. And the Joker's not gonna wait years to commit crimes or taunt Batman. Neither will Batman "look it into it" years later.

I don't think he'll be commissioner for a couple or more Batman movies from now.

Here are the N.Y.P.D. ranks. And since Gotham is practically New York, it's what I'll use.Ranks of the NYPD. Don't believe me?

Gotham is a nickname for New York City, New York, first used by Washington Irving in the Salmagundi Papers (1807) referencing The Wise Men of Gotham tale.

There are ten sworn ranks of the New York City Police Department:

Police Officer
Sergeant (symbol of rank: 3 chevrons)
Lieutenant (symbol of rank: 1 gold bar)
Captain (symbol of rank: 2 gold bars)
Deputy Inspector (symbol of rank: gold oak leaf)
Inspector (symbol of rank: gold eagle)
Deputy Chief (symbol of rank: 1 gold star)
Assistant Chief (symbol of rank: 2 gold stars)
Bureau Chief (symbol of rank: 3 gold stars)
Chief of Department (symbol of rank: 4 gold stars)
Police Commissioner (symbol of rank: 5 gold stars)

But other than that, Gordon's cool. I liked him in Burton's Batman's better.

tpaquin
Gary Oldman is one of the greatest character actors of all time...truly a master of his craft.

Punkyhermy
I.LOV.Jim!

Hary Oldman is the perfect embodiment of the character. Shame we never got to see lil Babs...

Zarathustra
Originally posted by FistOfThe North

Here are the N.Y.P.D. ranks. And since Gotham is practically New York, it's what I'll use.Ranks of the NYPD. Don't believe me?
Actually, in some comics the Comissioner is depicted as an office to which Gordon (or Loeb before him) is elected. Thus between The Long Halloween and Dark Victory Gordon goes directly from Captain to Commissioner. In The Dark Knight Returns (not directly applicable, of course), it is an appointment (though allusion is made to the fact that it used to be an elected office), thus Yindel, a captain, is also promoted directly to the rank of Commissioner.

Knightfall93
Correction, punkyhermy, read year One to discover the baby is in fact little James Jr, not Babs. Barbara is his niece and he adopts her when she's a grown teen. I mean, otherwise Batman would be like forty even in film time before Robin joins and he's be like fifty by the time we reach Tim and would be using the Bat- zimmer- frame very soon! i HOPE THERE'S MORE Jim in BB2 and tghat he starts his affair with sarah essen and his fall out with Commisioner Loeb and Flass and maybe even the SWAT guy Branden...

WrathfulDwarf
*bump*

Once again Gary Oldman delivers another terrific performance as James Gordon!

And congrats Jimbo! big grin

SelinaAndBruce
He was really good as Gordon. I give him major props for that. "evening comissioner

ScarletSpeed
I think it's just weird how much he actually looks like Gordonlaughing out loud

but in real life he looks nothing like him laughing out loud

Endrict Nuul
I think I had a heart attack when Jim got shot.

Darth Martin
For the people who didn't car for this type of film, Oldman's Gordn was cement that held it together for them. For example when he got shot everyone gasped, and when he came back everyone cheered. He was the human aspect.

Much praise for his performance.

ScarletSpeed
ah yeah thanks for telling me that he got shot and came back mhmm

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
*bump*

Once again Gary Oldman delivers another terrific performance as James Gordon!

And congrats Jimbo! big grin

WD, I agree with you. Gary Oldman delivers a great performance as Jim Gordon. In my opinion, Gordon is the glue that holds The Dark Knight together.

ScarletSpeed
Gary Oldman is great,

I always loved the episode he was in on friends when he is acting with joey and keeps spitting on Joey laughing

I noticed in TDK that he does tend to emphasise his lines and spit a littlelaughing out loud

DstUYUCHwpE

a-68rvj36Y4

too funny,

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.