The sabre fights, which is the best?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi-Kaisa
I'll be surprised if someone hasn't thought of this before...

Big selection huh? roll eyes (sarcastic)
I personally think Yoda vs. Sidious was the best. It had everything, flips, lightsabres and force throwing senatorial pods across the arena. eek! Gotta love it Happy Dance

Jedi-Kaisa
Damn, I just realized I'm in the Episode I & II section. Bugger embarrasment

Ast
Originally posted by Jedi-Kaisa
I personally think Yoda vs. Sidious was the best. It had everything, flips, lightsabres and force throwing senatorial pods across the arena.

It had everything except for two people actually fighting, it was all fake.

Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, the incredible emotion of this duel(and the fact you know what happens) and crazy speed.

Sorgo
Originally posted by Jedi-Kaisa
I'll be surprised if someone hasn't thought of this before...

Big selection huh? roll eyes (sarcastic)
I personally think Yoda vs. Sidious was the best. It had everything, flips, lightsabres and force throwing senatorial pods across the arena. eek! Gotta love it Happy Dance

Kenobi VS Skywalker

The most emotional Star Wars duel ever.

And one of the best.

DeVi| D0do
Durl of the Fates. The more I watch the Obi/Ani duel the more I don't like it. It seems pointless. A duel for duelling's sake. I try, but I just can't find the emotion everyone talks about...

The Episode I duel - while also being the best coreographed - is indeed exactly a duel for duel's sake and it knows that it is, which is why it's so great. Better to have no emotion at all than to pretend to have some...

The Episode II duels can eat anteater testicles. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Yoda looks like a fool whenever he takes out his saber. Bad move Georgie. He's too good for a saber. You killed Yoda for me. Same for Sidious, he never needed to use a saber... he was cooler when he just had the lightning.

JenR1215
anythin with Yoda... when I saw AOTC my father was like "That Little Buger can fight."

and one guy in the theater when "YAAY-HAAA" i dont know why.. but i was laughing my ASS OFF.

LITTLLE MAN GOTS SKILLS eek! Happy Dance laughing

DeVi| D0do
At the midnight showing I went to the fat man sitting next to me screamed like a little girl when Yoda started fighting...

I couldn't stop rolling my eyes...

The worst part about that fight is that more than half the time Dooku is just slashing at nothing. It is incredibly poorly done.

Ast
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Durl of the Fates. The more I watch the Obi/Ani duel the more I don't like it. It seems pointless. A duel for duelling's sake. I try, but I just can't find the emotion everyone talks about...

That is cool, the effect does wear off, though I do still like the core duel. As far as emotion, on that first night, even after knowing all the spoilers, when it started I was like "oh shit, here it goes". And I kept that feeling up until I saw Obi jump onto the back, then I got real sad knowing Anakin was dead. stick out tongue

Lord Janus

The Episode I duel - while also being the best coreographed - is indeed exactly a duel for duel's sake and it knows that it is, which is why it's so great. Better to have no emotion at all than to pretend to have some...

The Episode II duels can eat anteater testicles. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Yoda looks like a fool whenever he takes out his saber. Bad move Georgie. He's too good for a saber. You killed Yoda for me. Same for Sidious, he never needed to use a saber... he was cooler when he just had the lightning.

Absolutely share those sentiments.

Duel of the Fates was the best duel in the prequel the more and more I think about it. yes, that first time watching Anakin and Obi-Wan was something else. But even then I noticed how pretenuous it was. Duel of Fates is not about betrayal; it's about "I'mma kill you, white". Erm... I -think- that's what Maul was saying at one point.

Anyways, and I also agree that Yoda and Sidious should never have used sabers. It ruined both of their characters, which were already developed and made likeable in an age of non-kung fu BS.

systemshock2
As short as it was I particularly liked the Obi-Wan/Dooku in AOTC because a) Dooku's taunting (which if it included his missing dialogue from the book would have been even greater), b) Dooku was so good all of Obi-wan's moves were easily and effortlessly countered, and c) because of the scene where the two locked sabers. Sure Obi-wan is young and stronger, and because of it was able to force Dooku's saber back, but because Dooku is older and more experienced, he waited for the right moment for Obi-wan's lightsaber to reach a certain vantage point, and then he struck, completely taking Obi-wan by surprise. Still love that scene.

Jedi-Kaisa
Originally posted by Ast
It had everything except for two people actually fighting, it was all fake.

Exactly. You can do practically anything when fighting a CG....thing. And using CG can make a whole lot of things come to reality. But I'm 14 and that's only me

Darth_Emodas
At the midnight showing I went to the fat man sitting next to me screamed like a little girl when Yoda started fighting...

I couldn't stop rolling my eyes...

The worst part about that fight is that more than half the time Dooku is just slashing at nothing. It is incredibly poorly done.

That was the point. Yoda was too fast for him.

Red Superfly
I can't believe I don't like the Ani-Obi duel!

Why? What the hell? How did this happen? Why don't I like the duel that I've been waiting most of my life to see?

It was just too overblown. I was expecting a fight on par with Vader and Luke on Bespin, but in reverse. I was hoping for Obi-Wan to be more innocent and Anakin more evil and lost. Obi-Wan gave up too quickly and even started the damn fight (or it was put across that way).

They really should have had Obi-Wan going to help Anakin, talk him round - not going to kill him. It's like Obi-Wan was like "He's evil, oh well, better go kill him then". The friendship was barely even there, despite Obi-Wans bizarre claims of Anakin being like his brother. The way he left Anakin on the bank was also too wierd. It was just clumsy and there seemed to be no consideration of the characters. Instead it was just a flashy duel that resembled a videogame-boss fight. I thought it was just a waste. I so wanted it to be great.

DAMMIT!

roughrider
The Duel of the Fates, by a hair over Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, followed by Yoda vs. Sidious. The latter two are the most emotionally charged and had me gripped, but from a skill and tactics level its Ep.I - the newness of a double-end lightsaber, 2 vs. 1 yet fought brillantly by Darth Maul, up and down levels and different settings; also knowing Anakin's fate turned on this outcome. Qui-Gon lives, he trains Anakin and things are likely very different!

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by Red Superfly
I can't believe I don't like the Ani-Obi duel!

Why? What the hell? How did this happen? Why don't I like the duel that I've been waiting most of my life to see?

It was just too overblown. I was expecting a fight on par with Vader and Luke on Bespin, but in reverse. I was hoping for Obi-Wan to be more innocent and Anakin more evil and lost. Obi-Wan gave up too quickly and even started the damn fight (or it was put across that way).

They really should have had Obi-Wan going to help Anakin, talk him round - not going to kill him. It's like Obi-Wan was like "He's evil, oh well, better go kill him then". The friendship was barely even there, despite Obi-Wans bizarre claims of Anakin being like his brother. The way he left Anakin on the bank was also too wierd. It was just clumsy and there seemed to be no consideration of the characters. Instead it was just a flashy duel that resembled a videogame-boss fight. I thought it was just a waste. I so wanted it to be great.

DAMMIT!
Holly hell yes! Agreed on all counts...

At the end of the duel I want to cry... not because of the emotion, but because of the fact it should have been so much better...

Honestly, I don't know why I expected anything different. Right from the beginning they were promoting the fight as being the best ever, longest ever, covering the most distance ever... When they should have been focussing on the emotional aspect.

Damn you Lucas for becoming a commercial filmbitch!!!

SithHappens
The emotion is not in the duel until Obi-Wan says "I have failed you Anakin, I have failed you." Then they start to converse and it gets emotional right to the end of the duel when Ani gets burned. Duel of Fates is best, a) Qui-Gon Jinn!!, b) first time we really see what Obi-Wan is made of, c) the fight it's just awesome.

cameron666
the darth maul fight at the end of episode 1

pr1983
Duel of the Fates is the most memorable imo... well shot, well choreographed and not half as much cgi as the rots one...

and there wa splenty of emotion watching qui gon go down...

SS_181st_Snow
True dat PR, I was like 9 or 10, I forgot, but seeing Qui-Gon go down always made me sad. Especially when maul knocks his saber into Qui-Gon's chin, you can see in his eyes he knows he's gonna go down, and Obi's noo was perfect, not like that shit vader's noooo.Originally posted by Ast
That is cool, the effect does wear off, though I do still like the core duel. As far as emotion, on that first night, even after knowing all the spoilers, when it started I was like "oh shit, here it goes". And I kept that feeling up until I saw Obi jump onto the back, then I got real sad knowing Anakin was dead. stick out tongue

I thought the same way too. When they both ignited their sabers, I gripped my armrests and every muscle in my body tightened. Y'know, it's like that feeling you get when you're going out with the schools hottest chick, but better. Then I was soo pissed at the end, mainly because no more SW movies to go to. But also because of the abruptness of "THE DUEL". And those two damned old geezers kept butting in with their little saber fest and throwing stuff like a drunken husband who found out his wife has been having sex with the milkman and the postman for the past 20 years.

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Obi-Wan gave up too quickly and even started the damn fight (or it was put across that way).

No, he was just preparing for the inevitable.

pr1983
Originally posted by SS_181st_Snow
True dat PR, I was like 9 or 10, I forgot, but seeing Qui-Gon go down always made me sad. Especially when maul knocks his saber into Qui-Gon's chin, you can see in his eyes he knows he's gonna go down, and Obi's noo was perfect, not like that shit vader's noooo.

laughing

Originally posted by DiamondBullets
No, he was just preparing for the inevitable.

only a sith deals in absolutes... stick out tongue

DenKi
I like the short fight between Maul and QuiGon, its when Maul firsts attacks and its a good little moment cause u have to think that Sith havnt revealed themselves since then!

SnakeEyes
I liked the Obi/Anakin duel the best.

I mean, it could have been better, but I thought it was pretty damn good. The part where Anakin is just lying there burning, screaming "I hate you" showcased the better part of Hayden's acting. It was very emotional at this point. The duel itself was very flashy and nobody seemed to really have the upper hand until the end, which I liked, because they were both supposed to be somewhat equal in terms of fighting ability/style. Overall, I just thought the environment was cool as well. It was as if they were fighting in hell.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I liked the Obi/Anakin duel the best.

I mean, it could have been better, but I thought it was pretty damn good. The part where Anakin is just lying there burning, screaming "I hate you" showcased the better part of Hayden's acting. It was very emotional at this point. The duel itself was very flashy and nobody seemed to really have the upper hand until the end, which I liked, because they were both supposed to be somewhat equal in terms of fighting ability/style. Overall, I just thought the environment was cool as well. It was as if they were fighting in hell.

Agreed.

I couldn't believe how fast they were moving in that fight.

It has a great emotional impact, especially if you watch all the films back-to-back, as much as ROTS builds up to that battle, the whole PT does even more so.

I have Duel of the Fates as second on my list, but just by a midget's dick.

It is better paced, has better choreography, and was absolutely stunning.

I only put Battle of the Heroes above it becuase it means more in the overall scheme of things.

I may get shot for this one, but I would say that Mace v.s. Sidious (after the dopey execution of the 3 Jedi "masters".) is my 3rd fave.

I like the way that Ian and Sam played that scene, and it had that inevitable feeling to it, but I was surprised to see Mace "win" at all.

I thought that they would just be in a tie, and Anakin would be the tie-breaker.

Mace went out like a G, and it was interesting to see purple v.s. red.

Akira99
Looking at each duel in turn;
Kenobi+Jinn vs. Maul - well choreographed and very sweet to watch with good emotion and double-bladed saber only problem was the sh**ty scene in between with all gungans etc- 7.5/10
Also counts for brief Jinn vs. Maul which was great
Tyranus vs. Kenobi+Ani - Fluid and skillful choreography but nowhere near as good as TPM duels and way to short and lacked the effect OT did - Tyranus didn't feel like a real bad guy - but still nice to watch - 4.5/10
Tyranus vs. Yoda - A surprise - tahst what made it a great duel. A little cheesy as it continues but the first 2 seconds of duel seemed to be fastest in whole series and was impressive - 6/10
Tyranus vs. Kenobi+Ani Round 2 - Far better - much more skillful and beautiful to watch and greatly underrated imo. The lines Tyranus utters and the final part of fight left me breathless - still way too short though - short but sweet - 6.5/10
Kenobi vs. Grievous - Hardly counts imo mainly cuz I hated Grievous - the voice was catastrophic! The duel seemed moderately impressive - you just knew Kenobi would pawn him - he wasn't force trained after all. But this duel was not fake - McGregor really did learn to fight 4 blades well. Dreadfully short though - 4/10
Mace vs. Palps - OK so they did a bad job of the jedi killing adn Mace's vaapad but regarding the duel McDiarmid gave it its all and the swordsmanship looked rehearsed and skillful but dreadfully short. It certainly weakens towards the end of the duel where there is flips but the final window scene portrayed the appropriate emotion though Mace wasn't very impressive - but I used to watch it quite a bit - 6.5/10
Vader vs. Kenobi - Excellent - just as good as it gets - amazing skill, emotion and although it weakens and the final poart of duel is pretty weak it is a very good fight - 7.5/10
Yoda vs. Palps - Too short - not as amazing as I hoped though the final few seconds we see are pretty smart. And Palp's giggling were very annoying - 5.5/10
Kenobi vs. Vader Round 2 - classic fight which is more backed up by the atmosphere which is Star wars in its prime rather than the very low skill quality - 5.5/10
Luke vs. Vader - Superb duel which I can't get enough off - great emotion and dialogue - the best bad guy and just great - skill isn't that great but way better than ANH - 7.5/10
Luke vs. Vader Round 2 - Basically as good as previous though I prefer ESB duel - 6.5/10
So I guess its Maul vs. Kenobi+Jinn, Vader vs. Kenobi and ESB Vader vs. Luke!

DarthSidiouss
hmm.. only that i think my order would be ep1 quigon-obi vs. maul. then ani vs. obi. then sidz palps. then vader vs. luke esb . tyranus vs. yoda i was shocked because i wasent expecting this battle.. little yoda fighting.. when i saw himm im like... wowww dudes hes gonna fight.. then he ignited his saber and im like "Awesome" next thing u know he's doing flips accross the room and over dooku

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Couldn't the moderators just start a "I hate the PT/OT"-forum/section!!!
Or somebody could just start a thread about it, instead of puking on SW in EVERY PT-thread....
Either you are a SW-fan/lover/liker/don't knower or whatever OR you're NOT, although everybody's entitled to their own oppinions ofcourse, but don't start massively disregarding SW as if you never liked it anyway.
There's many things I LIKE and don't like about the entire SAGA, but it looks like everybody is more and more killing off the entire franchise!!!
The Terminator-forum almost died because of the same kinda bullshit.
No wonder everybody is moving to the "Literature and expanded universe"-forum.

It's really starting to piss me off......(well, I think I just signed my death-sentence).....sorry confused

overlord
Damn, what a bunch of bad taste, of course Sidious versus Mace was the best. He still looked normal, he pwns the n00bs and Mace Windu is raped eventually.

The ones which were meant to be the greatest weren't that impressive.

exanda kane
Now to be honest...I can't pick any favourite out of the prequels, they just don't seem to much more than eye candy, and that just isn't evough for me...

I mean, when the lights dim in AotC between Anakin and Dooku, it reminds me of Empire Strikes Back! so the only merit I can give goes to that one...

I know I'm no fan of the prequel trilogy, but its the anti climatic duels that push me away alot of the time.

The Obi-Wan vs. Anakin duel was nice to watch, yet I didn't really feal involved with the characters enough.

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Originally posted by J.M FcThumbs-Up
Couldn't the moderators just start a "I hate the PT/OT"-forum/section!!!
Or somebody could just start a thread about it, instead of puking on SW in EVERY PT-thread....
Either you are a SW-fan/lover/liker/don't knower or whatever OR you're NOT, although everybody's entitled to their own oppinions ofcourse, but don't start massively disregarding SW as if you never liked it anyway.
There's many things I LIKE and don't like about the entire SAGA, but it looks like everybody is more and more killing off the entire franchise!!!
The Terminator-forum almost died because of the same kinda bullshit.
No wonder everybody is moving to the "Literature and expanded universe"-forum.

It's really starting to piss me off......(well, I think I just signed my death-sentence).....sorry confused

laughing out loud .....nothing else to do today!!!!!

Generic Hero
Episode 5 saber fight > Episode 6 saber fight > Episode 4 saber fight > Prequel saber fights.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.