Mall Horror

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

papabeard
I hate all these slickly produced lame big studio horror films that are just being constantly released, I refer to them as Mall Horror like Mall Punk, sanitised versions for the Nob-Head teenage demographic ,and it annoys me when people take up space on this forum talking about them ( i appreciate the irony, of the fact that I am taking up space talking about them, but only to say I hate them)

Im talking about films like,

Darkness Falls
The Ring
The Grudge
Cherry Falls
The Skeleton Key
Darkness
Hide and Seek
White Noise
Cursed
13 Ghosts
Ghost Ship

F@ck them all

Deano
yeh they are all crap, but what can ya do?sad

Cinemaddiction
White Noise is incredibly original, and Hide and Seek I enjoyed immensely.

Mandorallen
To be honest, I dont even waste my time with Horror movies, especially the more recent ones. the ones i did like are Nightmare on elmstreet, and Hellraiser. other than that I dont take the time to watch the new horror films.

I did happen to catch 13 ghosts on HBO, but it was mostly trash, a cheap flick just to get a rise out of somebody.

sorry, I didn't meen to fly of the handle like that.

-Mando

Pandemoniac
Thoughts about what you hate, but cannot change, are a mere waste of time, and leave you with less of it to enjoy what you love

MildPossession
The Ring - enjoyed
Cherry Falls - interesting slasher
The Skeleton Key - yet to see
Darkness - yet to see
Cursed - horrendous
13 Ghosts - enjoyed
Ghost Ship - liked the beginning and one part near the end

Deano
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
White Noise is incredibly original, and Hide and Seek I enjoyed immensely.

the first half of white noise was very good, but the 2nd half went downhil bigtime,

hide and seek was terrible imo

beta-wolf_101
White Noise was very original but I agree with Deano it was only good at the beginning they did a very bad ending.

BackFire
There was nothing original about white noise. It used the same basic techniques that all trendy ghost movies do.

The twist at the end was one of the worst I've ever seen, relying on a flashback to remind you who exactly the villain was, since he had such a minor role in the film.

It was a very generic ghost movie, with some fairly neat parts.

TheGrim98
Most of todays horror movies suck but the new Exorsist looks intresting.

romper_stomper
for me most of the stuff made after the early eighties was for the most part shit,but like every rule there are exceptions to this one so these are a few of the only good imo post 85 films

house of 1000 corpses-rob zombie really hit home with this and the devils rejects,he managed to make american horror movies nasty and mean spirited and gritty again

braindead-need i say anything about this superb hilarious blood bath

dog soldiers-probably the best thing to come out of britian since the very early eighties great effects and some genuine scares

henry-portrait of a serial killer-again this film needs no explanation it is universally known and loved by all fans of true horror

i know i probably missed heaps,especially a lot of the hong kong catoprgory 3 movies that are trying to really push the boundaries of good taste and deceny and give new meaning to the words horror and gore but the ones mentioned above are just a couple of the ones from the modern era of movie making that really struck a chord with me,disagree if you must but please state reasons other then thats shit or that sucked

tabby999
they keep making these shitfests because people keep f*cking watching them, they wont stop making movies as shitfull as all the ones listed for a good reason. why put money on a risk that might pay off when you can make Halloween 30 and make money? why risk it when Saw 5 will make money. if people stopped accepting the shit thats served to them as acceptable, problem over, the film company would have to pull its self out of the gutter and do something worthwhile

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by BackFire
There was nothing original about white noise. It used the same basic techniques that all trendy ghost movies do.

The twist at the end was one of the worst I've ever seen, relying on a flashback to remind you who exactly the villain was, since he had such a minor role in the film.

It was a very generic ghost movie, with some fairly neat parts.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but that's a pretty weak rebuttal. I don't recall any other movies suggesting that someone using ESP to communicate with the dead, opens a channel by which ghosts can migrate back into the real world, or that one ghost has the power to communicate, thus stopping death from occuring, and subsequently endangering his life. If there is one, LMK. There's nothing basic or generic about "White Noise" and its premise, regardless of how much or little you or anyone else actually liked it.

BackFire
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I'm not trying to be an ass, but that's a pretty weak rebuttal. I don't recall any other movies suggesting that someone using ESP to communicate with the dead, opens a channel by which ghosts can migrate back into the real world, or that one ghost has the power to communicate, thus stopping death from occuring, and subsequently endangering his life. If there is one, LMK. There's nothing basic or generic about "White Noise" and its premise, regardless of how much or little you or anyone else actually liked it.

It was just another twist on the ghost genre, by your logic The Ring could be seen as unique because there is no other American movie involving a girl falling down a well and then coming back as a ghost and killing people through a TV who watch a video tape. Just because it was the only film dealing soley with EVP doesn't make it original, unique, nor good. There have been plenty of movies dealing with EVP in some way or another, White Noise simply concentrated soley on EVP, it was a very basic, predictable, and stupid "worst case scenario" movie about EVP. Every movie has something "unique" about it, otherwise they wouldn't be made.

It was more or less just a story dealing with legends about EVP that exist in real life (Ghosts can harm humans if contacted through EVP, they can warn humans through EVP, etc). But alright, if simply being the only mainstream film to be soley about EVP makes it unique too you, so be it.

It's techniques, as I said, were all generic and predictable of the ghost sub genre that you (and I) hate so much, lots of silly jump scenes, half assed suspense, and an absolute botch of a twist ending which was obviously forced into the story because it's the in thing these days. The premise may in some way or another be unique if viewed from a particular point of view, the film itself, is not. It is a generic movie in every sense of the word, it did nothing new nor did it improve on the genre in which it belongs, it simply took the cliches of the ghost movies of late and threw them into a basic, simple story about EVP, nothing more.

Something that's truly unique is unique in it's presentation, and in it's teqniques of story telling, IMO.

Deano
i agree with backfire 100% there
it would of been a decent movie if they didnt screw up the 2nd part of the film
and the ending where the dad talks on the radio made me laugh so hard, it was so stupid

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.