Empire's 50 Greatest Independent Movies...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
What are your thoughts on Empire Magazine's choices?

Empire's 50 Greatest Independent Movies

I think Empire is without doubt the best movie mag out there, but there are some strange choices...

'Donnie Darko' at no.2?!? It's a good movie, but it's not that good...Same goes for 'Sideways' at 9 and 'Sex, Lies And Videotapes' at 7.

You can't argue with 'Reservoir Dogs' at No. 1, though. It's a great movie and its influence is huge.

Mandorallen
Not too bad.

I'm glad I saw...

Reservoir dogs
The terminator (although t2 was better IMO)
THX-1138
The passion of the christ

not bad.... but I could think of some that should have been up there

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Such as?

Fianna
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
What are your thoughts on Empire Magazine's choices?

Empire's 50 Greatest Independent Movies

I think Empire is without doubt the best movie mag out there, but there are some strange choices...

'Donnie Darko' at no.2?!? It's a good movie, but it's not that good...Same goes for 'Sideways' at 9 and 'Sex, Lies And Videotapes' at 7.

You can't argue with 'Reservoir Dogs' at No. 1, though. It's a great movie and its influence is huge. Ahh dear Empire..how I love it love

Yeah...I think they're are good choices, I agree with most of the choices but I think Lost in Translation should have been higher and Enduring Love should have been in there somewhere..or maybe that isn't considered Independent confused

MildPossession
Sight and Sound is a better magazine imo, especially for independent films. Empire is good also but don't get this one as much.

Nice to see Dead Man's Shoes in there.

Passion of Christ, bla. I wouldn't have put that in there.

Cinemaddiction
I've seen half of those, personally. "Lost in Translation" doesn't belong on the list period, IMHO. It's a shame that "Bad Taste" was rated higher than "Evil Dead", while the infintely better acted "Dead Alive" was snubbed entirely.

But like any other list, this is all biased, personal opinion, especially seeing how some movie I've never heard mentioned in "Toothnail and I" is Top 25 material? Seems like a Brit thing, lol.

Mandorallen
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Such as?

Platoon
one who flew over the coockoos nest
memento
se7en
silence of the lambs.

MildPossession
Memento was on the list.

Mandorallen
oh yor right, I must have skipped past that one.

It's number 13

jaden101
some pretty good stuff on there...would have liked to have seen dead mans shoes further up

Mandorallen
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I've seen half of those, personally. "Lost in Translation" doesn't belong on the list period, IMHO.

critics love it.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Mandorallen
critics love it.

Critics kiss ass, especially to the Coppola's, who have made their share of incredibly overrated movies in the past. Them, and those who still think Bill Murray, being way past his prime, is the greatest comic since Belushi.

Mandorallen
HOORAY FOR CRITICS!!!!

giving us bad opinions scince 1925

(each sold seperatley, batteries not included)

Myth
Nobody mentioned Being John Malkovich. That is one of the coolest movies ever.

DeVi| D0do
Hell yeah! Should have been much higher than 37... City of God deserves better than 17 too.

Lost in Translation is so overrated... I fell asleep during that.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
But like any other list, this is all biased, personal opinion, especially seeing how some movie I've never heard mentioned in "Toothnail and I" is Top 25 material? Seems like a Brit thing, lol.

'Withnail & I' is a UK-critics' darling. It's basically a student movie about a couple of guys drinking Cider and speaking shit...The British 'Clerks', if you will...

I've watched it, but it's not a favorite...

the.shape
Originally posted by Mandorallen
HOORAY FOR CRITICS!!!!

giving us bad opinions scince 1925

(each sold seperatley, batteries not included)

Quote of the week.

Solo
I find it awesome that Eraserhead was number 12. I like the list, but yes, it is some serious bullshit that Bad Taste is farther up the list than Evil Dead.

Lost In Translation deserved it's spot, IMO.

Wolfie
I agree, Lost in Translation shouldn't be on the list.

bakerboy
Well, like all the lists, this list could be consireded controversial. I dont get why many of the movies of that list are rated as " independent", and there are movies too overrated( donnie darko).

BackFire
Not a bad list.

TCM shoulda been higher though.

Deano
wheres halloween?

Wolfie
Originally posted by bakerboy
Well, like all the lists, this list could be consireded controversial. I dont get why many of the movies of that list are rated as " independent", and there are movies too overrated( donnie darko).
I feel Donnie Darko deserves to be on the list. Maybe not as #2 though.

tabby999
yeah, Darko was really well done. and of course BF wanted TCM higher, but as we all know, hes somewhat bias

Wolfie
TCM was kinda low in the list. Though you have to be a fan of horrors to really appreciate it.

bakerboy
Well, i wanted to say that donnie darko is overrated in the list, clearly its a good movie, but not that good to be ranked in number 2.

DeVi| D0do
That movie has a HUGE cult following... But, yeah, I don't know if it really deserved a #2....

BackFire
Originally posted by tabby999
yeah, Darko was really well done. and of course BF wanted TCM higher, but as we all know, hes somewhat bias

No, it should be way higher when their are other, less important Independent horror films higher then it.

Pezmerga
Donnie Darko dont even deserve to be in the top 10 really..
but I am glad sideways is up there, i loved that movie.

Also I am so glad to see Reservoir Dogs at number 1! It's one of my favorite movies PERIOD of all Time...Probally only The Big Lebowski is ahead of it...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.