The New World

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Terence Malick has never made a bad movie, so this looks like a good bet come Oscar time. All his movies are so beautiful and filled with a level of intelligence that is rare in movies these days.

Check out the trailer...

'The New World' trailer

MildPossession
Saw a trailer for it months ago, looks quite interesting, i'll be off to see it when released.

shugie99
Saw a poster for it in the movie theatre...Anyone know the official opening day?

Murray
November 9, but ET says it's Christmas Day.

Maybe they moved it.

I'm so excited to see this film. I'm a huge fan of both Terrence Malick and Christian Bale. I'll see it opening day, which ever day that is.

gshkris7272
its January 16th, it looks really good..

SnakeEyes
I'll probably end up seeing it. I kind of lost faith in Colin Farrell after seeing Alexander and being heavily dissapointed with it. I'm hoping this movie will be good, though.

gshkris7272
yeah, i dont think the movie is much about him though.

Mando
Awesome, Christian Bale is in this. Gotta see it.

gshkris7272
lol.

Neix
It looks hopeful...

MildPossession
This is by someone who has seen it:

I thank my lucky stars I caught this before Malick snipped twenty minutes out of it, and you have just a few days left to do the same. One thing I forgot to mention in my review is the soul-stirring use of Wagner's overture to Das Rheingold -- a piece of music that could easily come off as pretentious in the wrong hands. Here it sends shivers down the spine.

Sounds fabulous, can't wait to see the Wagner part. Gets a good write up.

Murray
I can't wait to see this film. It opens nation wide on the 20th.

I have a feeling that I'm going to love this movie.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'm sure Mild has, but have the rest of you seen Malik's other movies? Badlands, Days Of Heaven and The Thin Red Line are all hypnotic. You should check them out...

DarkWizard
The Thin Red Line was excellent. Different from other War movies, and still excellent.

MildPossession
Days of Heaven is one I need to check out, but Badlands is one of my all time favourites, amazing film. The Thin Red Line is an excellent film also.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Agreed. Badlands is astounding, and The Thin Red Line is so poetic. Days Of Heaven is visually in tune with all his movies - it's absolutely beautiful. It's also a heartbreaking film. I'm sure you'd love it.

http://wcts.whitman.edu/CwTI/summerworkshop/images/magic.jpg

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Has anyone seen 'The New World' yet?

MildPossession
Nope, it's not out here until 27th January.

Ya Krunk'd Floo

BackFire
I just saw New World and was pretty disapointed. It was vusually rich and beautiful, but lacked narrative structure and character development almost entirely. It was, like you said, Krunk'd, like a moving painting, but really visual beauty isn't enough to hold a viewer for 2+ hours in a film, when we don't care about the events happening on screen. It seemed Malick was more focused on making the film visually stimulating and beautiful, rather then making the story coherent and exciting or interesting.

Many many beautiful landscape shots and other such things, though.

Solo
Originally posted by DarkWizard
Different from other Vietnam movies, and still excellent.
'Twas the Pacific War.

DarkWizard
I know, It was mentioned before.

I just wasn't using my head.

MildPossession

FistOfThe North
I liked it, my date liked it, she wants to see it again but I don't think I could. Not sayin' the movie sucked, it had quality and was very therapeutic, very visual, more visual than anything I've seen recently.

In other words, seeing it once was enough for me. But I wasn't disappointed after watching it.

Morning_Glory
I was thinking about seeing this... but doesnt look like the reviews are very good sad

Ya Krunk'd Floo

MildPossession
Empire is okay, don't read it as much now, I read mostly Sight & Sound, if you have never read this magazine, throughly recommend it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Thanks for the recommendation, but 'Sight & Sound' is a little difficult to find in Asia.

SnakeEyes
Just saw it on DVD. I thought it was terrible. Probably one of the worst films I've watched this year.

Solo
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Just saw it on DVD. I thought it was terrible. Probably one of the worst films I've watched this year.
It's amazing. I recommend this to everyone.

SnakeEyes
Please tell me, then, what made this film so "amazing."

Other than some decent cinematography, I saw nothing in the 2 hour+ film that was very good at all.

TreasureTrooper
I agree

systemshock2
I saw it when it first came out on at the theater and me and my date truly enjoyed it. It doesn't play like your normal movie, more like a montage of scenes, but what clearly stands out about it is the acting and the scenery. I noticed that the approach with the movie is "less is more". Farrell probably didn't utter a word until the 20th minute or so, but his is a powerful performance nonetheless. I truly felt his loss when he knew he had to give up Pocahontas, and later tries to reconcile with her in Europe.

There was also just this epic feel to the movie. Seeing how the two different worlds interacted with one another was amazing, for example the indians inspecting the forts the colonists made, and conversely Wes Studi's character analyzing the glass window full of Christian images inside a European church.

And anytime Wagner's music comes on only adds to that epic feel, especially when montages of Pocahontas is shown towards the end after she's deceased. That was a very sad moment and my date was actually tearing up. But what a great movie nonetheless.

Leggy_n_Merry
I wanted to see this film when it was released but it didn't get released in my local cinema sad My cinema isn't very good..

So yeah.. I don't know whether it's worth watching it or not by the mixed opinions. But I wanted to see it, so I probably will at some point. It's just I never rent films because then I think I might aswell had just bought it, but I don't have much money and there are many other films I want. Hmm.. I'll have to wait until I get a job.

Morning_Glory
I was really surprised by this movie, I actually really liked it, I had heard so many negative reviews but it was really interesting

Solo
Please tell me, then, what made this film so "amazing."

Other than some decent cinematography, I saw nothing in the 2 hour+ film that was very good at all.
Malick is an amazing director. The fact that he refused to use any artificial lighting in any scene of "The New World" is just astonishing. Considering how bright a lot of the scenes are. The acting is better than solid. The cinematography is the best I've ever seen.

I guess I can see why you didn't enjoy it, it's not for your average audience. But I thought it was one of the best of 2005 (if not the best).

Murray
I agree.

This movie is absolutely beautiful and one of my Top 10 of 2005 (if I actually wrote it out). Terrence Malick is, like you said, so talented and has such a vision. This was truly a great film and the cinematography is astonishing!!! It should've won the Oscar!

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Solo
Malick is an amazing director. The fact that he refused to use any artificial lighting in any scene of "The New World" is just astonishing. Considering how bright a lot of the scenes are. The acting is better than solid. The cinematography is the best I've ever seen.

I guess I can see why you didn't enjoy it, it's not for your average audience. But I thought it was one of the best of 2005 (if not the best).

Fair enough, I suppose.

I still think the movie is one of the worst films of the past year and possibly worse than that. Now don't get me wrong, I didn't expect an action movie or anything of that sort, I just expected a strong story and interesting characters and so on. What I got was a 2 hour and 15 minute scenery flick. Seriously, the acting was mediocre, there was hardly any dialogue/character development (not to mention I didn't care for any of the characters, which shows that the movie didn't do a good job with the characters in the first place), there was virtually no plot (at least the plot that was there was so uninteresting that it might as well have not been there at all), and overall it was a boring film in ALL aspects. Good cinematography; so what? If the film is really terrible (which in my opinion, it was), then some good scenery won't make up for that.

wink

-Tired Hiker-
I loved it. The visuals and the music and the use of sound were incredible. I didn't realize it was basically the Pocahontas story until I read the credits and sure enough, the chick was Pocahontas!

gshkris72

i totally agreee. the only thing good about it was collin farrell and the young teen<shes a good actor.. but other than that it was horrible!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I finally managed to see 'The New World' yesterday. It's a breathtakingly beautiful movie, and - like Malick's 'The Thin Red Line' - its structure is like that of a stream of consciousness. It plays like a documentary filmed by a breeze that floats around the lives of the life within the movie...I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but it's the only way I can describe it. It's not the kind of movie that I will watch many times, but the one experience I've had of it was different from most other movies I've seen.

SnakeEyes
Terrible film.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Re. 'The New World':
Terrible film.
Re. 'Snakes On A Plane':
Going to see this epic film tonight!
Conclusion:

You don't know what the word 'epic' means. And you're an idiot. And and.

BackFire
Glad you liked it Krunk'd. Personally I didn't care for it outside of the beautiful cinematography, just wasn't engaged by it, really.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
It was an incredible movie to look at, but I think it is a difficult movie to watch; its style is very different from other movies. I don't know if I'll watch it again, but it was a very interesting movie. It plays like a moving painting mixed with snippets from people's diaries.

BackFire
Yeah, the moving painting is definately a good way to describe it. Beautiful visuals.

jaden101
i cant say i have an overwhelming desire to see this film

krunk says his films have intelligence...apparently malick doens't have the intelligence not to cast colin bloody farrell

malick only real track record being thin red line which for me was a beautifully shot war film turned in a psuedo philisophical turd pile

the effect would have been much more powerful had he just made a film about one of the ww1 poets and how they saw that war

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, I don't think you'd like 'The New World; the style of the 'narrative' is very similar to 'The Thin Red Line'. Ol' Colin is actually really good in the movie. It seems he must have turned a new leaf because he was excellent in 'Miami Vice', too.

As for Malick's track record, 'Badlands' is also excellent. Sure, his films aren't for everybody, but those who appreciate his style are generally very passionate about his movies.

-Tired Hiker-
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I finally managed to see 'The New World' yesterday. It's a breathtakingly beautiful movie, and - like Malick's 'The Thin Red Line' - its structure is like that of a stream of consciousness. It plays like a documentary filmed by a breeze that floats around the lives of the life within the movie...I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but it's the only way I can describe it. It's not the kind of movie that I will watch many times, but the one experience I've had of it was different from most other movies I've seen.

Glad you liked it! I really enjoyed this movie as well, and you are right about the stream of consciousness thing . . . nice way to put it.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Re. 'The New World':

Re. 'Snakes On A Plane':

Conclusion:

You don't know what the word 'epic' means. And you're an idiot. And and.

You must not know sarcasm when you see it then.

I didn't actually think Snakes on a Plane was going to be epic roll eyes (sarcastic)

So please don't bash me, personally, simply because I did not like the film you seem to have enjoyed so much. If you want my reasons, check the previous page. They are logical and valid.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
You must not know sarcasm when you see it then.

I didn't actually think Snakes on a Plane was going to be epic roll eyes (sarcastic)

Wow, in that case you're really good at this sarcasm lark. Well done.

If you want my reasons, check the previous page. They are logical and valid.

Oooo, that's great! I'll check them out...

I still think the movie is one of the worst films of the past year and possibly worse than that. Now don't get me wrong, I didn't expect an action movie or anything of that sort, I just expected a strong story and interesting characters and so on. What I got was a 2 hour and 15 minute scenery flick. Seriously, the acting was mediocre, there was hardly any dialogue/character development (not to mention I didn't care for any of the characters, which shows that the movie didn't do a good job with the characters in the first place), there was virtually no plot (at least the plot that was there was so uninteresting that it might as well have not been there at all), and overall it was a boring film in ALL aspects. Good cinematography; so what? If the film is really terrible (which in my opinion, it was), then some good scenery won't make up for that.

Some of your points are valid in reference to your opinion, but you really misunderstood the type of movie you went to see. Malick's movies do not adhere to anything like a conventional structure, and all his movies are contemplative and cerebral, rather than explicitly open and easily accessable. As for the character development, the interaction between Pocahontas and Farrell's character was superbly acted and thoroughly believable. As was the later development of Bale and Pocahontas' relationship.

Disliking a film is your perogative, but the sheer originality, truth of emotion, and beauty of 'The New World' would place it no where near a categorization of 'one of the worst films of the past year'. A summation like that simply displays your ignorance of the craft, an inability to qualify films on merit, and a failure to recognise the inspiration within the movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.