Malak and Nihilus = Makashi masters?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dimmimar
I know that their combat animations are more flashy and acrobatic to make them seem powerful, but all of those cartwheels and back flips seem very Makashi like.

Bespin Bart
Did you see Dooku doing cartwheels? stick out tongue

Dimmimar
True, but he was a late makashi practicer.

Lord Janus
No, overall, Makashi is said to be a refinement of saber to saber precision fighting. Flashiness only gets you killed. Notice that Dooku expends as little effort as possible to deflect blows and to defeat enemy attacks. His style is a little inconsistant in ROTS, but then again I personally think everyone fights the same in that movie. Anyways, flipping and acrobatics is primarily Juyo or Ataru. But Malak and Revan are damn near difficult to speculate for. Here's why:

Malak wanted power and dominance. He would not use Soresu in lightsaber combat, period. It does not suit his temperment. Likewise, Shii-Cho is a simple style and doesn't give its user any edge. Malak would chaff under this I believe. Ataru -might- be used, but if so, only to aid in his combat effectiveness, much like the Wizards of the Coast RPG creation of the Sokan style (A style that relies on rolls and flips to evade enemy gunfire.) I'm thinking in particular, Shien fits Malak most. The power hits and reflection tactics, combined with the wide power strokes and the emphasis on ripostes makes this fall heavily into Malak's favor.

Revan? Revan is eh... harder to work with. For one, Revan's personality is only hinted at, and we receive next to no insight as to how he/she fights. For one thing, we see Revan flourish his weapon in the FMV, and then fall into a stance that would best be described as defensive if you ask me. Revan didn't get all ready to flip or jump at the enemy, and if Shii-Cho uses such a samurai-esque stance, I'm an ewok garden gnome. Makashi would be desireable, but not entirely practical. If I were Revan, I would practice Makashi and Shien or Soresu, and then work on Juyo. Why? Well, Makashi was still very popular at this time, despite blasters being apparent. Jedi and Sith were still numerous. And when you're a Sith Lord, you have to back up your shit a lot, so that helps. Shien or Soresu would be to aid in nonlightsaber combat, plus it strengthens defense with again, emphasis on efficiency. And lastly Juyo is a combination of those styles, so it would be a natural advancement. But for all I know, he uses form zero. Hell, we never saw him strike anyone down in a cutscene.

It's worth noting that in the shade image of Revan in KOTOR II uses two equal length blades. either this is drawn from the Exile's memories or from Kreia's; it's also entirely possible that this was made by Obsidian staff to make Revan seem more 'hip and cool', since dual wielding is the best thing since sliced bread thanks to Salvatore.

Dimmimar
What about Nihilus?

Lord Janus
Nihilus' attacks are different from normal saber enemies, just like Malak blocks differently. In particular, Nihilus seems very nimble despite its tall size. i'm thinking Makashi, since it would have no need at all to fight non-Force users. That much is evidenced by the way Nihilus dominates everyone on that ship. But I don't think it's mastery of Makashi; couldn't have been enough time for that.

Dimmimar
I reckon that Kreia would use Shi-Cho or Makashi.

I also believe that Sion would have used Shien.

Lord Janus
Possibly. Sion does swing hard when he confronts Kreia the first time in game. And he is a bit of a brute. As for Kreia, the best way to figure her out is to have all the forms and question her on each. Clearly, she doesn't care for Soresu, but she does speak highly of Shii-Cho. Makashi she stresses caution. The others I've forgotten because I haven't played a Guardian or Sentinel in quite some time. And I never did learn Niman.

Dimmimar
She is neutral about Niman, she justs says that it gives no advantages and has no disadvantages.

Lord Janus
Probably not wanting to say it sucks.

Dimmimar
She evidently dislikes Soresu, likes Shii - Cho and Makashi to a lesser extent.

She says that you have to be strong in using Juyo, but is devestating when used correctly.

Lord Janus
And Ataru? I think she says it's good only against single enemies.

Rand al'Thor
You know if someone ever faced a true master of Niman they would indeed face a very verstile opponant.

Dimmimar
Yes, I could see her being a Shii-Cho master.

Lord Janus
Not really. Niman cannot be effectively mastered, since it is really only studying various forms for a short period of time. Someone who mastered all the forms included in Niman would be a master of everything but Makashi. And then they would (assuming they lived this long) go on to master Makashi and create an entirely different style based on that.

Rand al'Thor
Originally posted by Lord Janus
Not really. Niman cannot be effectively mastered, since it is really only studying various forms for a short period of time. Someone who mastered all the forms included in Niman would be a master of everything but Makashi. And then they would (assuming they lived this long) go on to master Makashi and create an entirely different style based on that.

Imagine a Yoda who had mastered every lightsaber style...I mean he certainly lived long enough that he could of done it if he wanted to.

Fishy
If he wanted to perhaps, but he would have no reason to do so. Ataru is perfect for him and its not like he needs to fight a lot.

Lord Janus
Actually, Yoda would be a poor candidate for lightsaber mastery. His size limits his power, and it makes him have to put more emphasis on Force aiding his movements, not to mention he is ancient. The advantage he would have over another duellist of the same caliber would be being harder to hit, and honestly that shouldn't be a problem for a good duellist. A good duellist kills quickly, like Kun did. Yoda, to be honest, spends more time trying to overwhelm his opponent rather then trying to kill them. And because of this and his size disadvantages, he will never be the greatest duellist.

Sorgo
Kreia is probably a Makashi master, being one handed and all.

Lord Janus
Actually, I've seen more than a few pictures of her from the site where she uses a double bladed lightsaber, and I'm not talking just screenshots either.

Rand al'Thor
Originally posted by Lord Janus
Actually, I've seen more than a few pictures of her from the site where she uses a double bladed lightsaber, and I'm not talking just screenshots either.

So have I.

Darth Nhilus
Yoda of course could never be the greatest duelist. But he was pretty good. He did master all the forms. I read some where.

Dimmimar
It looks cool when Kreia has a double bladed lightsabre. But unless you use the Savegame Editor she won't be able to wield one.

Lord Darkstar
savegame editor? sorry if this sounds dumb but what is that and how do you get it?

Dimmimar
The Kotor Savegame Editor. It's a mod that lets you change lots of things to your savegame.

Lord Janus
I want a mod that allows me to make my own characters and input them in game... I think there is one, but I'm too lazy for it.

Dimmimar
Like change your appearance to a gizka or Jawa?

Illustrious
Originally posted by Dimmimar
Like change your appearance to a gizka or Jawa?

Exactly.

Dimmimar
Download it here at this thread

It's quite good.

Rand al'Thor
I have so many mods for both KOTOR 1 and 2 I lost count of them all. In fact I have even made a few of my own such as never loose at pazzak or a number of other little tricks. I have also made a bunch of my own items and crystals.

Lord Janus
Yes!

Thank you!

Dimmimar
You can change yourself into any other thing in the Kotor games.

Jawa's have no combat animations sad

Illustrious
DAMMIT!

Dimmimar
Although playing as Nihilus is fun!

Lord Janus
... No combat animations?

Dammit!

This needs to be remedied. I want animators and programmers working around the clock.

Dimmimar
Neither do Gizka's or Tach sad

Lord Janus
*Twitch*

Can I at least be Revan or Malak or someone cool?

Dimmimar
Kotor I editing is limited to only Kotor I characters.

Kotor II has all of the Kotor II and I characters.

If you look deep enough you can find that Sokan was supposed to be a form!

Lord Janus
Pimp! Bet it does this:

Defense + 3 (Moving only)
Blaster bolt Reflection + 2
Critical Hit -2

Dimmimar
It was supposed to do something like that but was cut because of Lucasarts idiocy! And you can wield cans, empty hands and pazaak cards!

No, seriously you can, they count as a blaster pistol.

FistoFan
Don't you know that Shii-Cho is the form that the jedi younglings use?

Captain REX
Shii-Cho is the one that EVERYONE uses, and they develop other skills later. no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.