USH's Game - Lightsaber Forms?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Captain REX
While it has no effect on the gameplay or skill levels, I still think it'd be interesting to see, with all these lightsaber-wielders walking around, just what styles the players have decided to use for lightsaber combat.

-------

1st Form - Shii-Cho

Simple and practical, with no emphasis on any one trait. Think Kit Fisto or a Padawan.

2nd Form - Makashi

Fluid motions and parry-riposte tactics, requires great focus and is very refined, but does poorly against blasters. Think Count Dooku.

3rd Form - Soresu - subform Sokan

Most adept at defensive manuevering and the standard slash-block tactics, requires great speed and swift efficient swings but is a bit weak in attack power. Subform Sokan makes up for it with swift efficient attacks. Think Obi-Wan Kenobi.

4th Form - Ataru

Most acrobatic of the forms, requires great speed and lots of jumping and spinning to attack opponents from multiple angles. Think Yoda or Qui-Gon Jinn.

5th Form - Djem So - subform Shien

A very offensive form, requires great strength and wide sweeping powerful powerful blows. Subform Shien is more refined, a mix of Djem So and Makashi. Think Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker or Luke Skywalker.

6th Form - Niman - subform Kai-Kan

A blend of forms one through five, a very balanced form that allows the practitioner of the form to be agile but strong, defensive and offensive when they choose. Kai-Kan is a more defensive version. Think Darth Sidious.

7th Form - Juyo - subform Vaapad

A blend of forms Djem So and Ataru, it relies on powerful sweeping blows like Djem So and the spins of Ataru. Think Darth Maul. Subform Vaapad, developed by Jedi Master Mace Windu, relies on the same tactics, but is the most offensive form of all the forms.

Jar'Kai - For those wielding two lightsabers, one for each hand, could pretty much be applied to any form.

-------

And so there you have it!

Must note, the only people who could possibly use Vaapad would be Master Marcus or Vlad Shafran, due to their training from Mace Windu. Also possible for a Dark Jedi to use it, if they had some background with Windu. Haven't seen that, so Marcus and Vlad are the only ones possible.

Captain REX
Galder would definitely be a practioner of Jar'Kai, with him swinging those lightsabers about.

But, on the rare occasion that he does go with one blade, and also the basis of his method of Jar'Kai, Galder would be using Juyo.

Bespin Bart
Do you even need to ask me? Xeth definitely uses Ataru.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher keeps it simple. Shii-Cho would be best for him.

Dexx
well..niman, i guess

General Zink
I vote for Niman as well. Though, Rand isn't as flashy or fast as Palpatine...which is an odd thought...

bobcrickett
You slow old geizure, you. stick out tongue

Jelena uses Jar'Kai, I guess. Otherwise, it'd be Soresu.

DarkDethbringer
no question Xorn definately either usesd Ataru and sometimes Shien

Vera21
Ataru. Vera-Kin is basically female rebellious Yoda. messed

Lana
Jar'Kai, obviously, as Rianna uses two sabers....otherwise I guess Sokan would be closest.

Captain REX
Ataru sure is popular. eek!

DarkDethbringer
yeah people love the flipping like Yoda and such!!

Jazzman_78
Andro is proabably a Shii Cho practitioner. Mainly because the other forms didn't really fit just how I was playing him on Droben or with the fact that he is fairly un-athletic, and not spectacular at defense. I figure him for a fairly straight-forward, no nonsense fighter; fast, but not flashy.

Tptmanno1
Roan is definitly a Makashi but with more blaster defence..

DarkDethbringer
I didn't add this but on VERY rare occasions Xorn will usr Form II

Fire
Juyo and when in real danger (like against Balek I go for Vaapad, still need to hone that technique tho)

Captain REX
Good call, Marcus. That must have been a crazy match-up for the Galder vs. Marcus fight then. Juyo experts. messed

Those five droid kills you made had to be Vaapad. stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Let's face it, you all actually use a cross between kendo and tennis.

So long as you are not dumb enough to hold a guard in front of your face like Obi-Wan does in TPM then you're clear.

Fire
ush had to come and spoil the fun out of it stick out tongue

Lana
laughing I honestly was waiting for that.......

And tennis can be a painful sport...that is if you're me, anyway....messed

Ushgarak
Just so you know what I am talking about... using kendo/kenjitsu terms here, the main inspiration for the film fights...

Here is my 'Spot the Master' competition.

This is the moment they sense danger on the Federation ship in TPM.

On the right, Qui-Gon has drawn his guard he uses throughout the film- known as the 'Hasso' guard. Hasso was a form of guard originally developed by the Samurai whose helmets were big enough to get in the way of most traiditonal guards, so they held the sword to the side of their head instead. QGJ uses this rather well to keep his vision clear.

On the left, Obi-Wan- who uses a max and match style in the film- is here using a guard known as the 'prat' guard. Some form of perversion of the middle guard known as 'chudan', his... 'unique' trick here is to hold his guard in front of his face. Thus making sure that half of his field of vision is full of glowing lightsabre, so effectively he can't see a damn thing.

Smart.

Bespin Bart
I totally agree. Xeth should try Ben's stance more often. no expression

Though, I was expecting Ush to say something too... stick out tongue

My money is on that Kuylen would have used Makashi, though... whistle

Trickster
Shii-Cho or Makashi for Tanic, I guess.

Fire
yea OB1 looks like a dumbass there

I wonder if it was a fluke by McGregor or just GL showing us that OB1 ain't there yet.

Jazzman_78
Well, as much weapons training as was present between Gillard and Park, I'm betting it was intentional. The behind-the-scenes previews and DVD commentary content were full of Lucas and Gillard talking about the 'realism' of the lightsaber fights they constructed. And Ush, I remember Gillard actually saying in TPM's DVD that the fighting style had a little tennis in there.

That combined with Obi-Wan shorting out his saber in the water makes me think that it was again to show Obi-Wan's still in development.

Ushgarak
Yes, it DOES have a little tennis in there. My talk on how the lightsabre fighting works all comes from Gillard. You misunderstand me, I feel- I was in absolutely no way criticising Nick at all; I think he is fantastic.

Lana
You know, I've never thought about that before, but now that I do, I can see the tennis thing with how they fight...I dunno why I never noticed it before, being as I've played tennis most of my life and it's the only sport that I'm really good at...but yeah, now that I think about it, I can see that.

And for some reason that picture of Obi-wan and Qui-gon holding their sabers just reminds me of flags practice.....

Ushgarak
In the shot at the start of TPM when QGJ and Obi-Wan race down the corridor towards the bridge, hacking droids down on the way, QGJ actually executes a forehand tennis shot- outright- to deflect a blaster bolt. As it is obvious that anything you hit with a forehand shot wasn't going to actually hit you anyway, it has been generally assumed that he was in fact covering Obi-Wan; this was the origin of the Bodyguard trick.

Tptmanno1
Yea, Obi's TPM sword play is like our flags...
Shitty...

Jazzman_78
No, I was agreeing with you Ush. I had een wondering if you'd got that from Gillard. It'sthe only time I've heard sword fighting compared to tennis. And I never noticed the forehand shot. Not a tennis player, so I'm hard-pressed to notice a correlation myself.

Bespin Bart
Heh! I wonder how Qui-Gon would do in a tennis match...

No one seems to like Djem So. You'd think people would flock to Anakin's form...

Ushgarak
I suspect he would pull off some 'impossible' spin shots.

Lana
Wow, that would be fun, I'd think.....

Jazzman_78
Originally posted by Bespin Bart
Heh! I wonder how Qui-Gon would do in a tennis match...

No one seems to like Djem So. You'd think people would flock to Anakin's form...

I honestly thought about it myself, but figured that's what everyone else would do. But like I said, none of them really fit how I imagine Andro to fight but Shii-Cho.

darth vraya
hezrou uses the juyo

Tptmanno1
Jedi Tennis!
Its all the rage in Coresaunt! (spelled like crap i know..)

Bespin Bart
Originally posted by Jazzman_78
I honestly thought about it myself, but figured that's what everyone else would do. But like I said, none of them really fit how I imagine Andro to fight but Shii-Cho.

A well-balanced swordsman is always good. yes

Though, in Xeth's case, can you imagine anything BUT a buggy thing jumping around like crazy?

I've always wondered what some sports would be like if they were played by Jedi. It would be complete insanity and extremely fast-paced. Hockey? The Jedi would cheat and make the shots miss or go in. Basketball? They could jump from half-court and dunk it, it shoot three-pointers from the other end of the court. Baseball? Hit home runs because they powered up with the Force before the swing. *cringes*

Lana
I honestly think that'd be great fun to watch.....teams of Jedi playing against each other, it'd be sheer insanity.....

Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Jedi Tennis!
Its all the rage in Coresaunt! (spelled like crap i know..)

If I could use the Force, then I'd be REALLY good at tennis...(and probably manage to not break my finger while playing)....

Ooh, ooh, flags routines with the Force eek! I'd never miss a toss!

Which I actually never did anyway......

Bespin Bart
Wow, someone's a flaggot... stick out tongue

haha...get it? No? confused

Lord Melkor
6th form for me.

Lana
Yeah, Chris, I've only heard that joke about four hundred million times....roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bespin Bart
Shush.

Heh, what's with the Dark Side thinkers choosing Niman? Popular among the power-hording folk, I guess...

Tptmanno1
Meh, we just say that ours sucks...
which they do
which we tell them. alot..

Any Jedi games would be fun to watch...

Bespin Bart
Poor Stefan's flaggots... stick out tongue

Yeah, it'd be pretty crazy. Imagine lacross. messed

Tptmanno1
Yup...
And it seems our Drum major is on a personal mission to date all of them... (their freshmen...)

Bespin Bart
Now isn't that bizarre. messed

Rex's drum major is a chick with muscles. stick out tongue

Tptmanno1
Ours is a skinny pasty white guy who always wears long sleeves and pants...

Lana
My high school's flags team kicked ass stick out tongue went to competition and took first place big grin

And Lacrosse would be very interesting played by Jedi.....

(wow, we ran this thread into the ground)

Tptmanno1
Nope
last year
band got 75's and an 80 or something..
Flags?

Lana
Pssshhh....should have me go teach them....stick out tongue

(wow, that just reminded me of a dream that Moira had a while back and told me about blink )

Tptmanno1
you wanna??
I wouldn't stop ya!

General Kaliero
(just to get us back on topic...)

Dak uses a carefully crafted variation of Jar'Kai. His style is actually built upon three ways of carrying his 'sabres:

1) Both 'sabres regular grip (blade end above thumbs)
2) One 'sabre regular, one reverse grip
3) Both 'sabres reverse grip

Form 1 is based mostly upon defense, form 2 is a median between defense and attack, and form 3 is solely for acrobatic slashes, throwing defense to the winds.

Dak usually stays within forms 1 and 2, but he's trained enough to be able to flip through several forms changes in seconds.

newjak86
Jar'Kai is what Xavier uses mostly but with only one maybe even two he is more like Juyo in form.
Using his physical superiority against opponents.

DarkDethbringer
bringing this back from the dead I am thinking of changing my LightSaber Styles......I still Liek Ataru he will definately use that, He will use Form II if he has only a sinbgle single sided lightSaber, but picking up new styles, as well as Shien would be fun for Xorn

Sorgo
Ezekiel has mastered Shien.

Why do you think my character survived the attack on Yavin by th...

Okay. Nevermind. stick out tongue

Sorgo
I find Shien to be an extremely effective Form only when Mastered to the highest degree. It blends an ancient and stylish form of dueling combat with a somewhat aggresive and quick form of combat.

Clone-Commander
Jar'Kai, though if one of my lightsabers were lost, I would go Soresu... And another thing, did you know the character on Lanas sig killed the one in Sorgos sig?

Aliies
Niman sounds best for my new character, Ala'ii. I did think about Ataru but she doesn't come across as the one to do that with her Vibro-sword...

Simple, balanced and precise attacks that require little effort and slowly wear down your opponent are an excellent way to fight, for example; my ongoing duel with Nihilous in another forum, she uses this style to learn the drift of her opponent's attacks.

So my vote goes to Niman, all the way!

John Bak'or
hmm for my lizard guy i chose a mix of jar'kai, ataru and niman for offensive and a juggling thing for defence. basically john switches his 3(yes 3) sabres simultaneously between his arms and tail at high speed so the enemy is confused. they cant attack without losing grip on their weapon and they cant tell when or where the next attack is comming from. pretty sweet smile

John Bak'or
actually scratch the last bit. just niman, jar'kai and ataru

2Tidus!
Vlad goes for Vaapad. This is a very poor and desperate explanation of why Vlad always gets damaged heavily, but kills lots of droids. Not cause the person who is playing him doesn't give a crap about defense manueveres, or just completely forgets them. It's the form I tell you, the lightsabre form!

General Zink
Ah, right, forgot you were trained by Windu for your background...

2Tidus!
And remember that time when I fought 20 droids? And in the end I totally forgot about any dodge manuevers and got 20 damage? Yeah. Blame it all on the freaken style!

General Zink
Haha, good call.

I might revise Rand's form to Shii-Cho.

Lana
Originally posted by 2Tidus!
And remember that time when I fought 20 droids? And in the end I totally forgot about any dodge manuevers and got 20 damage? Yeah. Blame it all on the freaken style!

I prefer to blame it on player idiocy whistling

John Bak'or
lol

2Tidus!
What did I say? Blame it on the style godamnit! stick out tongue.

Captain REX
What's my excuse, then? Oh, wait, I usually get less damage than everyone else...

John Bak'or
lol rex

Council#13
Originally posted by General Zink
I vote for Niman as well. Though, Rand isn't as flashy or fast as Palpatine...which is an odd thought...
Niman too

Faroth
Hmm.... Well, I have multiple characters, so...

Meastu Vakos- About 70% Soresu, 30% Makashi
Xio Baston- Ataru
Bess Troulin- Shien and Makashi

XanatosForever
Given his ideals, I think Aurel'd favor Soresu over other forms, but with his personality and passion for swordplay, I certainly don't see it as impossible for him to to have actively practiced each form to get a sense of how it works. In this case, his least proficient forms I would imagine to be Jar'Kai (he doesn't strike me as much of a dual wielder), and Vaapad, since I don't imagine Master Windu being very open about sharing its practice. He'd probably favor Makashi in duels, and Shii-Cho would certainly be a sturdy foundation for everything.

Hope this isn't so old that it's dead, but given Aurel's specialty, I couldn't help but say something.

Bespin Bart
Wow this is a blast from the past.

Xeth is whichever one is ridiculously athletic. He fights like Yoda.

XanatosForever
That would be Ataru. Certainly one of the more flashy styles. stick out tongue

REXXXX
I would have thought that, with 5s in Agility and Strength, Djem So would have been more suited for Aurel, with inflections of Ataru.

Jedireaper
What would you say is Denz?

REXXXX
Your Agility is high, so probably Ataru. Ultimately up to you, of course.

Jedireaper
I was just thinking Juyo.

XanatosForever
Originally posted by REXXXX
I would have thought that, with 5s in Agility and Strength, Djem So would have been more suited for Aurel, with inflections of Ataru.

Really, what makes me think of such things comes down to Aurel's mindset. He doesn't like conflict, and is fully aware of how deadly a lightsaber is. He would only want to pull it out as a last resort, which is why he focuses so heavily on his non-saber combat as well. If he can subdue someone rather than kill them, he will. I also see him as highly practical. His choice of style will largely depend on the situation he finds himself in. Soresu's defensive advantages are overall a good compliment to his desire to protect rather than destroy. It's only when he's not defending someone, and is in a position where he knows he must take a life, that he will open up, as it were.

Craft
Wentar was probably most practiced in Niman in his Jedi days, but once he became a Renegade and started spending most of his time in the lawless outer rim he probably had to adapt to the more hostile environment and wound up focusing on Soresu more.

Which actually works well for my blade schticks. Block, Bodyguard, Focused Guard and Reflection all fit the Soresu vibe, while Orthodox Guard seems to suit Niman's description fairly well.

XanatosForever
The Guard schticks do a very good job of representing the different forms from a gameplay perspective, I think. My interpretations of each guard with combat forms is as follows:

From the description, it sounds like a good choice for Soresu/Ataru.

This one definitely strikes me as representing Makashi, with the focus on one target, but the overall defensive nature can also be indicative of Soresu.

Just about any of the offensive forms fits this Guard, and it's tap strikes me as significantly Vaapad in nature.

It's the descriptor of it being the standard that makes me see this Guard as primarily Shii-Cho, though being the foundation, it can certainly represent the blended forms easily enough, I think.

REXXXX
Forward Guard also strikes me as Djem So. Which is definitely what Galder uses, being a Strength fiend.

Peach
Rianna is crazy-flippy. Wooo Agility.

XanatosForever
I wonder if that helped or hurt more when she was dealing with Vash on Bespin. stick out tongue

Peach
Oh it helped. A lot. She's very good against opponents that prioritize strength stick out tongue

XanatosForever
Was that Vash's deal? I thought he had more Dext-no, wait, that was the other one. My mistake...is it bad I've forgotten the more competent Dark Jedi's name already? haermm

Newjak
Xavier is a very strength based fighter. With some good dexterity mixed in.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.