vB Search is back [BETA]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raz
I've had to disable the vB Search due to it freezing the server at high loads. I'm currently looking at alternative solutions, and in the mean time I suggest you use the Google search.

Storm
That' s a serious bummer.

Clovie
but google search is finding out random post blink

Raz
It was a last resort. Someone did a query and it froze the server for over 5 minutes.

Unfortunately its not a surprise considering we're nearing 5 million posts.

Clovie
delete otf?

Storm
I experienced the freezing.

Lana
Hmmm....I know last night I had the site freeze up for about 5 minutes (this was at about 5 am CST).

Kinda sucky though erm

The Ones
reboot one of the threads for a fresh start

Raz
Originally posted by Lana
Hmmm....I know last night I had the site freeze up for about 5 minutes (this was at about 5 am CST).

Kinda sucky though erm This may be around the time when a automated backup is made of the forums. Does it usually happen around the same time?

Clovie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why are you turning all the nice options off?
first pm tracking and now search?

why will i meet the honour of being noticed?

pr1983
dang... imo its far superior to the google one...

Raz
Originally posted by Clovie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why are you turning all the nice options off?
first pm tracking and now search?

why will i meet the honour of being noticed? Unless I fix the resource hogs, KMC will be unusable.

Jedi Priestess
delete otf?

hysterical damn clovs that was funny

Clovie
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
hysterical damn clovs that was funny i was serious erm deleting old and closed threads would reduce the number of posts. confused

Originally posted by Raz
Unless I fix the resource hogs, KMC will be unusable. how are you fixing those? huh

Lana
Originally posted by Raz
This may be around the time when a automated backup is made of the forums. Does it usually happen around the same time?

I'm normally not up at that time, last night I was just a bit more insomniatic (is that a word) than normal.....so I don't know.

Clovie
and....honestly..
how do you use that google seach?
i put 'clovie' there..and the result was main page of kmc blink cry

Storm
The Google search is far less accurate than the vB Search. A reason why I never used it.

Clovie
see? it shows random threads and main page.

Storm
Basically, it shows every thread in which your username appears.

Clovie
not only messed if it was that case it wouldn't be so bad...

Raz
Originally posted by Storm
The Google search is far less accurate than the vB Search. A reason why I never used it. You have to be a little creative with Google to make it work.

For instance. To find all posts with the word Clovie in, but not posts by Clovie, search for clovie -"Registered: Dec 2003" inurl:html

Clovie
i've putted that line ^ into google thing.. and i got some thread in star wars forum blink

Blue Dragon
Yeah, I found out in the Anime/Manga forum. I tried searching poem but it wouldn't work. No worry though, it was only on the third page. smile

Hey, Raz is back! Wait, did you go away again or something or you been back ages...?

Snoopbert
Delete the OTF, remake it, and elt all the "old" but active threads start again.

Ushgarak
I think the Google search is indeed beyond creativity; I've never had a successful search with it.

Mind you, VB was only 50/50.

Wickerman
Deleting the OTF sounds pretty silly IMO. There's no reason to delete an entire forum. I can very well say the same, only use argument as well, see?

Delete James Bond, religious forum and a lot of other forums like the Religion forum that get very few visitors and posts in comparison to the OTF. It's one of the most active, if not THE most active part of KMC. erm

~wickerman~

dave123
Originally posted by Raz
we're nearing 5 million posts. w00t

Cinemaddiction
Kind of hard to use Google when you're trying to determine weither or not to close a thread because it's been done before.

Deano
cant raz just delete threads that serve no purpose anymore? delete half the off topic forum

Lana
Originally posted by Wickerman
Deleting the OTF sounds pretty silly IMO. There's no reason to delete an entire forum. I can very well say the same, only use argument as well, see?

Delete James Bond, religious forum and a lot of other forums like the Religion forum that get very few visitors and posts in comparison to the OTF. It's one of the most active, if not THE most active part of KMC. erm

~wickerman~

It also causes the most problems.

I think I've maybe once in the google search found what I was looking for, and that's with using creative keywords and such... erm

Clovie
really? coz i never got anything while using it sad it doesn't take chronology into consideration at all.

Lana
Well, the thread I was looking for at the time was something oddly named and that I had posted in a long time ago (under my original username), so I was able to trick it into finding it for me erm

Clovie
trick being the keyword i s'posse roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lana
Guess so laughing out loud

TwisterGameX
Well removing the search button, will only cause more problems, since now people will make billions of more threads, because either they can't find the old one, or they don't know one has been made. I say take off the google search witch no one, really knows about or uses/it don't really work anyway.

Wickerman
Originally posted by Lana
It also causes the most problems.

I think I've maybe once in the google search found what I was looking for, and that's with using creative keywords and such... erm

It's also the one with the most posts. The one with most posters, the one with the most traffic. I'm sure KMC would survive just fine without it, but i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people left erm

~wickerman~

DarkC
delete otf?
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deano
bring back vb search!!

WindDancer
Well, there is no choice but to google search for now. Feels ackward not have it.

DarkC
Google search so far has proved to be absolutely useless. yes

Deano
google search is about as useful as a pair of sunglasses on a guy with one ear

Blue Dragon
Originally posted by DarkC
Google search so far has proved to be absolutely useless. yes
Sometimes yes, I type in 'Manga' in google, I click the first thing that's up & there's a hentai women there. Yeah, manga can be for older people too, but....

Here's another, I type in something in google images & get something totally different, like I type in Jak, & get Mario? What the....!

And other times, there's rude images...I got someone's...thing showing while searching for Zelda... confused

The Ones
little bastard put in crap with the same name

sanshain-eien
hahahaha i thought i was just me!

BakaXero
so thats what happened to it...
there goes all the perks.

Deano
kmc without serach bar is like woman without breasts

Neo_Version 7
let's not go THAT far.

shaber
sad

Raz
wow, I had no idea it was that much used blink

I will try to come up with a solution soon.

Lana
Yeah, it's used pretty often, I know I use it constantly looking stuff up.

Fire
it's the only decent way to make a search

DarkC
If it ever comes back, I'll never take it for granted again.

Storm
I used it at a daily basis.

Clovie
same here

shaber
I used it on a daily basis.

I did too sad

Deano
me too!

what a coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!no expression

Storm
happy

Raz
Well, its back in beta form for the time being.

Hopefully, should be much faster and lighter on the servers.

Oh and you can now share search links without problem.

Clovie
Razzle?

ermm..it's great it back yes and thanks for that happy

but now it's finding threads and not separate posts...so on my side it doesn't change much confused embarrasmentbag

Clovie
can't edit bag

dunce
i wanna say sorry for my previous post. it's irrelevant and pointless. i had that 'show results as threads' thingie checked bag sowwie embarrasmentbag

but still results are kinda weird confusedbag

pr1983
Originally posted by Raz

thank god for that...

Deano
Originally posted by Raz

im proud of ya!

Clovie
it's not working how it should. weep

Raz
it's not working how it should. weep Please explain with an example.

Clovie
Originally posted by Raz
Please explain with an example. I've putted into it someword that i knew was said like yesterday. and it didn't find it.
and it seems to be searching only in otf and gdf confused

Raz
Perhaps you mispelled it. It doesn't take that into account.

Clovie
no. i spelled it right. and it found some threads/post from year ago blink

Raz
...and can you now tell us what this search phrase was...?

Clovie
bag with the old search i was putting there 'clovie' from time to time and then i knew where ppl had refered to me., so i could reply. it was comfortable. and with the new one it doesn't work. but i notice ppl talking to me, so i don't understand it bag

Raz
Could you now show me the post it's not indexing?

Clovie
sure
this one:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=4995539#post4995539

Raz
It seems the search engine has placed your name as a common word, which means that its used quite often.

It doesn't log commons words such as 'the', 'it', 'a' and any other words that are used so often that it would make the search engine not do its job properly.

The Ones
also i typed in marvel in the unhosted roleplay's to see the old one but it didnt find it. i then typed the full name and it found it. why does it only do full names?

Clovie
Originally posted by Raz
It seems the search engine has placed your name as a common word, which means that its used quite often.

It doesn't log commons words such as 'the', 'it', 'a' and any other words that are used so often that it would make the search engine not do its job properly. blink you're kidding? how can my name be used too often?

edit: can't you just get it out of that list with common words? confused

The Ones
people love you clov. just like me

Clovie
blink you mean that people love you? ok

__
ermm....I've clicked on find last post thingie and got this:

automatically? blink

Storm
I have the same message appearing as well. Find last post and the vB Search are disabled.

Clovie
but most of the time find last post thing is working. i don't get it. confused

Raz
Unfortunately it's a necessary evil. Searching through over 5 million posts is no easy feat. And it is only disabled when we are really busy.

Mandorallen
Ya, It happens every now and then, It does it on my forum on occasion.

But, I just ignore it.

Syren
Oh, bless Raz... he's working his bottom off happy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.