Is School Harder Now Than It Used to Be?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RedAlertv2
Well, I have been thinking about this a bit. Back 30-40 years or so, school had tougher discipline, and there was less work, but it was graded harsher. Nowadays, it seems like we get more busywork, and there are also harsher requirements to get into universities. So who has it easier? The people in school now, or those who went through 30-40 years ago?

Scythe
Thanks to movies, school isn't hard at all...

Acherontia
Thanks to the Lack of Diciplin, School has been ahrder for all the little sqeeks who can't raise a fist. (Both metaphorically and Literly)

KharmaDog
After looking at the curriculum that my nephews are currently taking in high school, and after working with teenagers for the last couple of years, I would hazard to guess that school is a heck of a lot easier than it used to be.

Universities' acceptance requirements are probably higher because more people are applying. I don't think that has to to do with kids being smarter so much as it has to do with parents having more money.

RedAlertv2
I think school is easier but there is more pressure to excel in order to get into a good college. In other words, I may have HS easier than my parents, but they didnt have to get above a 3.7 to get into the nearest university, like I do.

fini
School is easier now. A LOT easier, and for some reason more students are doing worse.

SEE what a lack of displine has done. Turned kids today into lazy, whiny brats( but dont get me wrong, there will always be those who are the complete opposite)

I teach and it astounds me, at how many students get all riled up when I 'punish' them ( aka lines) for not doing homework. When I argue with them for not doing anything in class, they run home and complain to their parents.

botankus
Hell, they raised the SAT score scale to make idiots look like geniuses. Now someone with half a brain who would have scored a 500 on the SAT in 1990 can get something like a 900. I still haven't figured out a reason for this change other than 'we just want everyone to feel better about themselves.'

debbiejo
School subjects have been dumbed down in my opinion.

botankus
Yeah, "Handwriting I" is now done on a computer keyboard.

Ok, cheesy joke, but I couldn't resist.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by botankus
Yeah, "Handwriting I" is now done on a computer keyboard.
Ok, cheesy joke, but I couldn't resist.

Weird. I thought 'jokes' were supposed to be funny...I guess this could be viewed as another example of the lowering of standards; education isn't what it once was and neither are jokes.

Dramatic increases in people going to university isn't a sign of an increase in the number of intelligent people, rather it again shows a lowering of standards.

botankus
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Weird. I thought 'jokes' were supposed to be funny...

Sorry, I'll try to make a joke especially for you next time, namely one that wouldn't have any personal resemblences for you.

I guess this could be viewed as another example of the lowering of standards; education isn't what it once was and neither are jokes.
Exactly. Because I'm still in high school and all. roll eyes (sarcastic)

debbiejo
I thought you were serious.....lol....

It was a joke.....?

botankus
I was serious. That dude's high school is still using typewriters for the course.

Red Superfly
It was getting easier when I went through school. It was getting stupid when my brother went through, and now my youngest brother is going through some mediocre shit right now.

Now it's beyond a joke. GCSE's mean nothing, and A-Levels are joining them. Every year the government would like to assure us that the constant record-breaking amount of passes and top grades is down to solid teaching and hard work - but everyone in the real world knows thats garbage.

Of course it's getting easier. It's been steadily getting easier every year.

CRAP.

Lana
Hell, they raised the SAT score scale to make idiots look like geniuses. Now someone with half a brain who would have scored a 500 on the SAT in 1990 can get something like a 900. I still haven't figured out a reason for this change other than 'we just want everyone to feel better about themselves.'

They added another section, which is why the scoring changed...

*hugs her 1340 from the old scale*

I dunno, but I know that all through high school I was bored brainless in classes, including AP ones erm

botankus
Originally posted by Lana
*hugs her 1340 from the old scale*

Wow, Lana, that's a great score for the old scale.

If it were from the new scale, well, you get a 1340 just for writing your name with only spelling 2 errors.

NunYahBidness
Originally posted by Red Superfly
It was getting easier when I went through school. It was getting stupid when my brother went through, and now my youngest brother is going through some mediocre shit right now.

Now it's beyond a joke. GCSE's mean nothing, and A-Levels are joining them. Every year the government would like to assure us that the constant record-breaking amount of passes and top grades is down to solid teaching and hard work - but everyone in the real world knows thats garbage.

Of course it's getting easier. It's been steadily getting easier every year.

CRAP. Well, with the mental state of today's kids being inundated with video games, MTV, sex, sex, sex in da media and silly silly sad songs wit grit in da pizzle manizzle...what's the point of truly learning or even having an edumacation?

I hear McDonald's have upped the ante in their hiring practice for burger flippers. All one needs is a Master's Degree in Philosophy.

grey fox
I know , I was the only individual in my high school who seemed to care how i did on my tests , but i was a individual . I didn't buy the 'trendy clothes' i acted completely different (some would say creepy) , i didn't gel my hair ( i just put it in a ponytail , i got laughed at but i didn't care) . I didn't believe i was the best at everything or gods gift to earth . Sometimes i wonder about todays generations of moronic fools who deserve a swift quick in the arse to teach them a lesson.

PS: i hate rappers , rappers teach kids that gun crime and prostitution is good , plus their raps are shit therefore all rappers should be shot.

Lana
Wow, Lana, that's a great score for the old scale.

If it were from the new scale, well, you get a 1340 just for writing your name with only spelling 2 errors.

Thank you...would have been higher were I not half asleep the day I took it, I'll bet embarrasment

I actually think it's quite sad when you see what average scores for stuff like the ACT and SAT are in the US, and how many people who take AP classes actually pass them...I mean, the average ACT score is what, a 19? That's really low, honestly.

Or maybe I'm just a harsh critic because I always did very well on tests...but I don't think I'm the only that thinks that.

manny321
Thats weird the opposite happened up here in Canada especially in Ontario. They made the curriculum harder and the drop out rate increased. So when they found out to many were passing they made it harder. Now its up to anyone to say if it is harder or not. However i think education is taken as more important up here then i saw in some parts of The US.

Well there is a literacy test which you must pass. Before 66% past when it first came out but now 80-82% pass it. Thats the only good news i see from education around here.

Now i have seen the US a lot. Very nice high schools. There are bad ones and a lot don't even touch on history or geography. That no child left behind policy has made school much easier because they took out a lot of the hard stuff.

Lana
I think part of the reason I think so harshly about how low test scores and stuff are in the US right now is because of the school I went to....my high school was really good, there were tons of kids taking and passing AP tests, my class set a record for highest ACT average in the school's history (something like a 25 average), and of 303 kids in my class, we had a 99% graduation rate -- something that is unheard of in the US, especially for a public high school.

And I think that No Child Left Behind policy is what is destroying lots of schools....also, the fact that many public schools in the US are drastically underfunded and therefore can't afford to offer harder courses.

manny321
True at schools which have many classes and choices (like mine) the kids there usually do well. The schools with few classes and choices the kids don't do as well. Also in reality the divide between rich and poor people and neighbourhoods plays a major factor as well.

Like my school was in old area and it looks like very old and broken. However most of the kids almost 75% are people who actually live a few KM north of the school (like me) in a rich Suburbian area.
Also most were Brown people so the graduation rates were high and most kids do overall 75-85% averages. However another high school in the same type of neighbourhood as my school has a much lower graduation and score rate because the only people that go there are people who live near it.

Like my school it does not have many fights as most people are not poor desperate lunatics who had nothing else ahead of them. However there is a lot of cheating going in the classes. Almost everyone. Many kids want to get in university and would do anything to get a higher grade.

dave123
The educational system here is a joke! You have to try pretty damn hard to fail here no expression Coursework alone ensures at least a non-U pass grade erm

JanetteeTurnerr
In a distance format, the school is easier, but many students do not understand the material, so they use the website https://www.collegepaperworld.com/do-my-homework.html because they cannot do their homework on their own as before.

Blakemore
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Well, I have been thinking about this a bit. Back 30-40 years or so, school had tougher discipline, and there was less work, but it was graded harsher. Nowadays, it seems like we get more busywork, and there are also harsher requirements to get into universities. So who has it easier? The people in school now, or those who went through 30-40 years ago? Yeah. I think Elliot Roger still has the high score.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Blakemore
Yeah. I think Elliot Roger still has the high score. laughing out loud

dadudemon
Way to revive such a dead thread totally legitimate new member to KMC who is definitely not trying to sell stuff.

To answer OP's question: we are getting better at teaching our children. Teaching them in ways that they can learn and retain useful information. Also, more children are learning than ever.

So it's both easier and better than in decades past. Also, our science is more accurate. Access to the internet makes information more readily available. I was in the generation of students that grew up using the internet, exclusively, for schoolwork. Laid the foundations for a SUPER easy time in college.

Surtur
Has there been a truly noticeable change? In terms of grades and where we rank in the world?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Surtur
Has there been a truly noticeable change? In terms of grades and where we rank in the world?

Grades don't matter as much as testable knowledge and understanding matters.

This includes literacy.

Grades are a measure of a child's conscientiousness from O.C.E.A.N. Not of actual learning.

Blakemore
Originally posted by dadudemon

This includes literacy.

Grades are a measure of a child's conscientiousness from O.C.E.A.N. Not of actual learning. I always thought they were just memory tests.

snowdragon
School is WAY harder now than it used to be for me, since this semester I have to home school:P (talk about a stress on a family especially with a kid that is in early teens and wants freedom from family, poor guy)

Seriously though the internet has bridged information in such a way that school is alot "easier."

Surtur

This includes literacy.

Grades are a measure of a child's conscientiousness from O.C.E.A.N. Not of actual learning.

So when it comes to testable knowledge and understanding matters where do we rank in the world? Where did we rank 20 years ago?

Robtard
Originally posted by snowdragon
School is WAY harder now than it used to be for me, since this semester I have to home school:P (talk about a stress on a family especially with a kid that is in early teens and wants freedom from family, poor guy)

Seriously though the internet has bridged information in such a way that school is alot "easier."

Both of mine are doing the online thing, I don't think they're absorbing much. It's hard enough to keep focus and learn in school due to boredom and distractions, now being at home while watching some teacher talk through a camera, that shit is likely going in one ear and out the other.

snowdragon
Originally posted by Robtard
Both of mine are doing the online thing, I don't think they're absorbing much. It's hard enough to keep focus and learn in school due to boredom and distractions, now being at home while watching some teacher talk through a camera, that shit is likely going in one ear and out the other.

I do workbook pages in the evening to reinforce lessons, he HATES it but it's good for him and it's nice he has to use a pen/pencil and long hand his mathsmile

I also use khan academy to reinforce lessons and give him youtube channels based off teacher's feedback we watch and talk about it at night.

It's a pita, let's face it, school is parents daily vacation from kids laughing

Robtard
This Khan?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/3009059364/6bfcb0a3df246abd0133e179024fd66d_400x400.jpeg

Cos that would be awesome

Blakemore
Ha. If you don't know, it's this guy on youtube who teaches maths.

snowdragon
Ha, no:P

Neatsmile

Tzeentch
****ing hell I miss a bunch of these old posters. Really hammers home how much of a shithole this place has become in the last 12 years.

It actually causes me physical pain to know that Kharmadog was online in 2018. He should never have had to see the state of this place today.

Robtard
Had the same feelings of nostalgia seeing Scythe, Botankus, Ya Krunk and Kharmadog's names.

Hell, even DebbieJo and her insane weirdness. Still not sure if she was legit or a clever made up personality.

dadudemon
So when it comes to testable knowledge and understanding matters where do we rank in the world? Where did we rank 20 years ago?

Answer:

20 years ago: Below average

Now: Better than average

Surtur
Are we in the top 5 among first world countries and if so where in the top 5?

dadudemon
Are we in the top 5 among first world countries and if so where in the top 5?

Covered this in depth in a discussion with Whirly where Whirly was not serious and just trolling but I still liked putting the facts out there.

https://i.imgur.com/eMu7btH.png

https://i.imgur.com/53jvoTE.png

https://i.imgur.com/cwyXt2X.png

smile

Surtur
But look at our numeracy rate

Old Man Whirly!
When I was st secondary school, calculators were not used and we had slide rules. My oldest left school 17 years ago not long before this thread was written. My youngest but for my new daughter left this summer in the U.K. he was part of the A level debacle due to Corona. "He done good!" I wonder what it's going to be like for my grand kids and daughter when they grow up?

Blakemore
Originally posted by Scythe
Thanks to movies, school isn't hard at all... Thanks to movies? Oh god, that's like saying..."thanks to facebook!"

Blakemore
The problem with the UK literacy is we have a wide variety of slang. I mean, just read a passage from Shakespeare ffs.

...and remember which language you're speaking.

Old Man Whirly!
The problem with the UK literacy is we have a wide variety of slang. I mean, just read a passage from Shakespeare ffs.

...and remember which language you're speaking. Road man dialect hasn't helped laughing out loud

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VV0BB0CxIFk

Interstingly enough in the days before calculators we used log tables as a short cut for multiplication... ha, so long ago.

Surtur

snowdragon
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
When I was st secondary school, calculators were not used and we had slide rules. My oldest left school 17 years ago not long before this thread was written. My youngest but for my new daughter left this summer in the U.K. he was part of the A level debacle due to Corona. "He done good!" I wonder what it's going to be like for my grand kids and daughter when they grow up?

If the path we are on continues they won't even use pens or pencils:P Plus with programs like grammerly and spell check/grammar check on all the platforms expect that their knowlegde of english might change:P Same with math stick out tongue

Old Man Whirly!
If the path we are on continues they won't even use pens or pencils:P Plus with programs like grammerly and spell check/grammar check on all the platforms expect that their knowlegde of english might change:P Same with math stick out tongue i must admit, anything for work etc goes through grammar it is amazing.

Blakemore
**** it I'm too drunk to type it out.

Surtur
lol

Blakemore
Road man dialect hasn't helped laughing out loud

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VV0BB0CxIFk

Interstingly enough in the days before calculators we used log tables as a short cut for multiplication... ha, so long ago. I already knew most of them but jesus. Imagine that in rhyming slang.

"bare jokes" could be "fair"

best I've got.

dadudemon

If you subtract out the black and Hispanic populations from those figures, we approach top 5 or even top 3.

Korea is a very homogeneous population. The US is not. We have to bring others up (this is a good thing).

BackFire
Weird. I thought 'jokes' were supposed to be funny...I guess this could be viewed as another example of the lowering of standards; education isn't what it once was and neither are jokes.

Dramatic increases in people going to university isn't a sign of an increase in the number of intelligent people, rather it again shows a lowering of standards.

I really miss this guy. Was funny.

ilikecomics
This is a website of a writer who shows how education has been deliberately degraded. The website shows a few books but the important one is the deliberate dumbing down of america.

http://deliberatedumbingdown.com/ddd/

The book is expensive as hell but if you google it a free pdf version is available. I would share it but idk how to share a pdf

ilikecomics
Edit: the website also has a pdf version

Blakemore
If you subtract out the black and Hispanic populations from those figures, we approach top 5 or even top 3.

Korea is a very homogeneous population. The US is not. We have to bring others up (this is a good thing). Isn't that why no child left behind fudges the figures? It sounds to me that you just said black/hispanic schools are doing poorly and probably underfunded (they are) and I recall Bush cut education. Did he cut black/hispanic schools but made sure whites weren't left behind?

Because that sounds like systematic racism beyond Katrina level.

snowdragon
Isn't that why no child left behind fudges the figures? It sounds to me that you just said black/hispanic schools are doing poorly and probably underfunded (they are) and I recall Bush cut education. Did he cut black/hispanic schools but made sure whites weren't left behind?

Of course feel free to prove that statement. Here is a quick article discussing the costs of students in different states:

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2019/05/21/baltimore-city-third-in-u-s-for-per-pupil-spending.html

That doesn't discuss the situation entirely obviously it's just one city.

Here is an article discussing how the baltimore schools performed:

https://www.educationviews.org/13-baltimore-city-high-schools-students-proficient-math/

13 Baltimore City High Schools, Zero Students Proficient in Math

Old Man Whirly!
Isn't that why no child left behind fudges the figures? It sounds to me that you just said black/hispanic schools are doing poorly and probably underfunded (they are) and I recall Bush cut education. Did he cut black/hispanic schools but made sure whites weren't left behind?

Because that sounds like systematic racism beyond Katrina level. Yeah, it doesn't hold up in many European nations where white working class boys do least well. Which kind of toasts the whole no racism in America thing. It also brings in gender bias in the UK lol.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2020-02-12/debates/7649792B-6CB3-48A9-872A-6CB6F2B9DCE8/EducationAndAttainmentOfWhiteWorking-ClassBoys

We know that on average boys consistently underperform against girls, and white boys from disadvantaged backgrounds underperform against boys of all other races and ethnicities. I will reel off some statistics: by age five, white boys from disadvantaged backgrounds are already 13% behind disadvantaged black boys and 23% behind disadvantaged Asian girls in their phonics, for example; only around a third of white working-class boys pass their maths and English GCSEs; disadvantaged white working-class boys are 40% less likely to go into higher education than disadvantaged black boys; and in fact, according to UCAS, only 9% of these boys will go to university, compared with around half of the general population. I could go on forever if I had more time, but as it stands these white working-class boys are being let down by an in-built and inherent disadvantage.

But you know, the UK is more classist and the US more racist it is what it is. Gender bias is prevalent in both.

And remember to underline the fact, this comes from the UK where White men from non disadvantaged backgrounds invented everything from Gravity, to Magnetism and Electricity shifty some will say we only discovered these things, but we are British and if I say we invented them being part of the Master Race we must havedur

Blakemore

Blakemore
Yeah, it doesn't hold up in many European nations where white working class boys do least well. Which kind of toasts the whole no racism in America thing. It also brings in gender bias in the UK lol.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2020-02-12/debates/7649792B-6CB3-48A9-872A-6CB6F2B9DCE8/EducationAndAttainmentOfWhiteWorking-ClassBoys

We know that on average boys consistently underperform against girls, and white boys from disadvantaged backgrounds underperform against boys of all other races and ethnicities. I will reel off some statistics: by age five, white boys from disadvantaged backgrounds are already 13% behind disadvantaged black boys and 23% behind disadvantaged Asian girls in their phonics, for example; only around a third of white working-class boys pass their maths and English GCSEs; disadvantaged white working-class boys are 40% less likely to go into higher education than disadvantaged black boys; and in fact, according to UCAS, only 9% of these boys will go to university, compared with around half of the general population. I could go on forever if I had more time, but as it stands these white working-class boys are being let down by an in-built and inherent disadvantage.

But you know, the UK is more classist and the US more racist it is what it is. Gender bias is prevalent in both.

And remember to underline the fact, this comes from the UK where White men from non disadvantaged backgrounds invented everything from Gravity, to Magnetism and Electricity shifty some will say we only discovered these things, but we are British and if I say we invented them being part of the Master Race we must havedur Dude, we used to have Darwin on the 10 pound note, Stephenson on the 5er, later Elizabeth Fry and we now have JMW Turner on the 20.

In America it says "In god we trust"

snowdragon
I believe you need to reread some of mindships old posts, one of the problems with inner city schools with a high lvl of poverty is the culture that mocks getting educated and its a HUGE problem.

All education stems from the family and if there isn't a good unit to enforce and build the value at home no amount of money will make you care about school and grades. My aunt used to make a joke that at her family gatherings (she's vietnamese) the parents discussed their B grade kids as the problem child vs the straight a students:P That's probably one of the reasons asians excel in getting their education.

Blakemore
I believe you need to reread some of mindships old posts, one of the problems with inner city schools with a high lvl of poverty is the culture that mocks getting educated and its a HUGE problem.

All education stems from the family and if there isn't a good unit to enforce and build the value at home no amount of money will make you care about school and grades. My aunt used to make a joke that at her family gatherings (she's vietnamese) the parents discussed their B grade kids as the problem child vs the straight a students:P That's probably one of the reasons asians excel in getting their education. They have good sense of humour?

snowdragon
Sorry about that I'll just give you the top paragraph discussing $$ spent:

The second article discussed charter schools but here is the highlight:

Old Man Whirly!

All education stems from the family and if there isn't a good unit to enforce and build the value at home no amount of money will make you care about school and grades. My aunt used to make a joke that at her family gatherings (she's vietnamese) the parents discussed their B grade kids as the problem child vs the straight a students:P That's probably one of the reasons asians excel in getting their education. I'm well aware of what mindship posted, I miss his recent departure from the board and he is not who I am alluding to over cherry picked data in regard to education, attainment and ethnicity. He has never made anything but sane and balanced posts. Others, not so much.

Old Man Whirly!
Yeah, it doesn't hold up in many European nations where white working class boys do least well. Which kind of toasts the whole no racism in America thing. It also brings in gender bias in the UK lol.

And remember to underline the fact, this comes from the UK where White men from non disadvantaged backgrounds invented everything from Gravity, to Magnetism and Electricity shifty some will say we only discovered these things, but we are British and if I say we invented them being part of the Master Race we must havedur reposted because it's a lovely post.

Old Man Whirly!
Dude, we used to have Darwin on the 10 pound note, Stephenson on the 5er, later Elizabeth Fry and we now have JMW Turner on the 20.

In America it says "In god we trust" lol, so true, newton was on one, Faraday was on something too I think.

Blakemore
Sorry about that I'll just give you the top paragraph discussing $$ spent:

The second article discussed charter schools but here is the highlight: What about the website I posted?

Blakemore
lol, so true, newton was on one, Faraday was on something too I think. Adam Smith. Arguably the most influential figure of their entire economic system but only focusing on the bad things that he said like the invisible hand moving the market killing the poor.

snowdragon
What about the website I posted?

Why would we want to look at a 2001 post?

Blakemore
Why would we want to look at a 2001 post? It predicted that Bush's cuts to fund his no child left behind hurt Baltimore.

snowdragon

Blakemore

Blakemore
Dude, we used to have Darwin on the 10 pound note, Stephenson on the 5er, later Elizabeth Fry and we now have JMW Turner on the 20.

In America it says "In god we trust" OH and I just found out Churchill believed in Georgism XD

dadudemon

Here's reality:

African Americans have a shitty ignorance and truancy culture that feeds their poor performance. Many in the black community are fighting this shitty culture and I believe their scores are improving. You can't throw money at black issues and it solves all the problems. Some extremely poor Pakistani children sitting on rocks are more educated than our black children the same age - has nothing to do with money and everything to do with culture. I literally work with young black men and try to help them overcome their stupid culture and truancy issues. Just show up to work, stop arguing with your teachers, check your ego and stop getting into fights, actually do your damn homework, BAM! You escape the cycle of violence and poverty. Sometimes, I just want to smack the shit out of their parents for being giant pieces of shit. These young men want to make something of themselves and when they start to succeed, their parents, aunts, uncles, etc. start to mock them (it's jealousy). F*cking miscreants.

Afro-Americans are smart and perform better than the white population because they bring hard-working culture with them when they immigrate.

Our Hispanic immigrants' children perform better than the poor countries they come from but still not as good as the average so they bring the average down. Think of it like the world average improving but the US average is brought down. Like I said, this is a win, overall. Because I view humans as a whole when it comes to educating our children. Should be free for all kids as kids deserve knowledge and education.

But if we adopted the do or die education culture of South Korea, suicide rates would skyrocket.

Even very poor Koreans perform far better than even our average upper-middle class Americans.

We (you) have to stop viewing education failings as a poor people problem. It's a culture problem. If you have a culture of educational attainment, you can be poor (but that won't last long) and still be a top world performer.

Want to see black children's educational attainment vastly improve? Fix the broken home problem which vastly disproportionately impacts black families (the disparity is so different among blacks compared to any other demographic that it should be the #1 crisis American politicians address but no one actually gives a shit about black people in the US).

Blakemore
Culture is derived from poverty/economic differences between people. A little of it comes from stupid racism, but it's mostly due to not having the money.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.