Trance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Neo_Version 7
Anyone listen to Trance?

StinkFist462
used to

Lana
I used to, not so much anymore.

Alpha Centauri
Isn't that the kind of music where people in clubs stand around making box shapes with their hands?

Or am I lost?

-AC

Deathblow
That's the one. It's probably the worst genre of electronic music going. It's just the same hook repeated over and over.

StinkFist462
i prefer D&B/Jungle

Alpha Centauri
Infact, anyone who claims that bands like Converge, Dillinger etc are just noise...listen to some Drum and Bass, or Jungle.

Quite clearly worse. I'll listen to Jacob Bannon's throat-tearing screams over a man shouting "Dibbidibbidibbibass" over the same hook.

-AC

Neo_Version 7
Whatever floats your boat I guess.

koolruningz
Not in this forum. wink

Inspectah Deck
laughing

Lana
It's fun to dance to, not something I normally listen to.

*shrugs*

koolruningz
Exactly, i dont think its supposed to turn you into Einstein. Good point.

Deathblow
Still, it's the hamburger/steak situation again. Why have trance when you have techno? Prodigy and Crystal Method and the like, the stuff which makes you see spots. That's dance music droolio

Lana
I faaaaar prefer techno, honestly yes I love Prodigy.

koolruningz
Trance and Techno to me are to very different things. I used to DJ alot in London and was part of the rave scene for a few years and there are quite a few different categories of dance music. Some are terrible, some are good IMO, but your average raver doesnt really care once they have a couple of disco biscuits inside them. messed

Deathblow
There are tons yes

I like going to those kinds of clubs every so often (there are waaaay more in London than there were back home), but even then I'm a real musical snob. I spend most of the time by the DJ booth/platform trying to force him to play back-to-back Fluke albums.

Lana
I've never been to a rave nor do I plan to, just been clubbing a couple times. Most of the music they play is awful, I prefer when my friends and I get bored and dance in one of our basements laughing out loud

koolruningz
Originally posted by Deathblow
There are tons yes

I like going to those kinds of clubs every so often (there are waaaay more in London than there were back home), but even then I'm a real musical snob. I spend most of the time by the DJ booth/platform trying to force him to play back-to-back Fluke albums.

laughing Have you had any success?

Lana
There are tons yes

That reminds me of my friends and I trying to get them to play Closer at a school dance in high school laughing they wouldn't do it.

Deathblow
Omg that woulda been awesome droolio
I'm sure law-suits would've been filed though, underage sex is one thing, but underage animal degradation is a real no no.

Originally posted by koolruningz
laughing Have you had any success?

Nah, they usually just smile, nod at me and then play Daft Punk disgust

Although I did manage to convince this bald guy to play the remix of Another Kind of Blues (the song from the Zion cave scene in Matrix Reloaded), that was sweaty as hell smokin'

koolruningz
Good work making yourself heard. thumb up

Neo_Version 7
i'm interested in maybe becoming a dj.

what's the learning curve? 1 week?

koolruningz
If you are playing dance music the main thing to master is beat matching. If you dont know what that is, its basically taking two records and making the beats the same speed. You do this by adjusting the pitch speed on the turntables until they match, you have one record playing through the speakers and the other one playing in your headphones. Once the beat in your headphones matches the one that is playing through the speakers (you can hear them both by only wearing one headphone) then you can mix the two records together by using the cross fader. After that its just a matter of learning your records and deciding what part of the records you want to mix together. When you have got it down you should be able to take two beats off different records of different speeds and adjust them into one smooth mix. The learning curve depends on how much you practice like anything really, i would say 1 week is extremely optimistic though.
dj

Neo_Version 7
Cool.

Thanks for the tip(s), KR.

Sounds like fun.

koolruningz
Your welcome. It is alot of fun especially when it all starts to come together, but it can also be incredibly frustrating. There were numerous times when i almost threw my turntables out the window. Good luck.
thumb up

Neo_Version 7
I'm gonna be mixing with Tiesto in no time. yes

koolruningz
A positive attitude certainly helps.

GreenFist
DaRude is my most favorite Trance person

Neo_Version 7
haven't heard of him. is he any good? erm

Deathblow
Originally posted by koolruningz
Your welcome. It is alot of fun especially when it all starts to come together, but it can also be incredibly frustrating. There were numerous times when i almost threw my turntables out the window. Good luck.
thumb up

Yeah exactly that. I tried learning a few years back, and I just couldn't do it. I was almost as bad with the turntables as I was with drums, I just can't do two complicated things at once. DJing takes a hell of a lot more patience and skill than people give it credit for.

Neo_Version 7
Okay, getting discouraged now. erm

koolruningz
Dont be. But Deathblow's right it does take alot of patience and practice. It makes it more of an achievement when you get it right, nothing wrong with a challenge.

Neo_Version 7
thanks. but i have no musical experience whatsoever.

my dad has always insisted that I learn guitar, piano, anything. but i never did. erm

koolruningz
Dude i can play 0 instruments. If you get the basics right and practice there is no reason why you cant do it.

Neo_Version 7
oh, coolness.

should i like hang out in the clubs and ask the dj's for tips?

koolruningz
If you want to, but make sure they are not mixing when you're talking to them. There is nothing worse than somebody shouting in your ear when you're trying to concentrate.
If you need any help with learning the ropes just PM me, i'd be happy to talk you through it when i have time.
smile

Neo_Version 7
thanks, man. smile

But since school's starting on Monday I might be busy.

but i;m really interested so i'll pm you ASAP.

koolruningz
No problem. When ever you're ready PM me.

GreenFist
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
haven't heard of him. is he any good? erm

Yeah he's pretty famous he wrote SandStorm

Neo_Version 7
Oh, I know SandStorm.

That's pretty good.

GreenFist
Yeah not the best he's ever done

Neo_Version 7
got any titles?

Dr. Strangelove

Nah, they usually just smile, nod at me and then play Daft Punk disgust

Although I did manage to convince this bald guy to play the remix of Another Kind of Blues (the song from the Zion cave scene in Matrix Reloaded), that was sweaty as hell smokin'

I'd kill for some Daft Punk or any decent techno to be played at the clubs I've been to. It's always mainstream hip hop and pop trash. sad

Imaginary
Daft Punk, Tiesto, Crystal Method and Prodigy are all great thumb up I'm listening to Robot Rock right now.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.