-=- Tropical Storm Out in the Atlantic RIGHT NOW -=-

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Acherontia
This morning I herd that they are monitoring a potential Hurrican in the Atlantic moving West towards the Sta-- U.S..

They say It might turn into yet another Hurrican.

PVS
does every tropical storm deserve its own thread?
dont buy into the media's exploitation of fear and tragedy for ratings.

fini
THERE ARE 3 systems presently in the ATLANTIC

Two of them will not affect the US.......these being Tropical Storms Maria and NATE

While TRopical Storm Ophelia is presently JUST of the coast of Florida and is moving parallel to the coast.

fini
http://www.intellicast.com/WeatherImg/CustomGraphic/tghur3.gif

here it is.

So chances are that Ophelia may not hit land, but anyways, she's gonna dump a LOT OF water there.

botankus
fini is right about the projected path.

BTW, bonus points if you actually know anyone named Ophelia.

KharmaDog
It's hurricane season folks, there are gonna be quite a few tropical storms coming your way. It happens every year.

finti
So what is wrong
With another sin
The ***** is hungry
She needs to tell
So give her inches
And feed her well

More days to come
New places to go
I've got to leave
It's time for a show

Here I am, rock you like a hurricane
Here I am, rock you like a hurricane - Scorpions

debbiejo
It's hurricane season folks....yep yep....wonder if there will be three this year in Florida.....I'd certainly move away because of last year for sure...at least more inland.

Darth Nauj
Originally posted by botankus

my moms name is Ofelia and yes OFELIA not Ophelia alright stick out tongue

jaden101
Originally posted by botankus

laughing ...i know of no-one

thats the problem with hurricanes though...people dont get out the way because the names arent' scary enough

hurricane katrina?...Andrew?...

they're not scary are they

how about hurricane satan?...or hurricane hitler?...or hurricane gary glitter?

that'll get people out of harms way

botankus
What about Hurricane PVS? wink

The Highlord
laughing out loud Hurricane hitler

GCG
I think its about who finds about the storm first.

Just like in Armageddon, the scientist names the meteor after his wife's name cause She's a vicious life-sucking ***** from which there is no escape.

Makes me wonder if Katrina was actually someone's wife and if it fits the description.

fini
could be, I know they have a rotating list of names they use. So they have had many storms with the name Bret, Bonnie, Gaston.

When a hurricane has done a lot of damage, the name gets retired. So names like Camille, Gilbert, Hugo, Andrew, Ivan will never be used again as hurricane names.

I can already see that Dennis and Katrina will be retired as well.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by jaden101
laughing ...i know of no-one

thats the problem with hurricanes though...people dont get out the way because the names arent' scary enough

hurricane katrina?...Andrew?...

they're not scary are they

how about hurricane satan?...or hurricane hitler?...or hurricane gary glitter?

that'll get people out of harms way

Quite possibly the funniest post I've ever read.

Hurricane Dale Winton, it just doesn't work does it? Hurricane Bush! Everyone would run toward the bastard and try to fight it. Maybe that's a good way to thin out the world populace.

Ivan is a good one. Sounds like some scary russian.

-AC

Afro Cheese
Ivan is pretty intimidating. Hugo was a pretty good name too.

The two we got hit by last year were Frances and Jeane. Frances has got to be the wimpiest hurricane name ever.

manny321
Ivan is a strong name because it goes with Ivan the terrible. It would have been as bad as Katrina all right if it went 100 miles west and it was a little stronger. Hugo sounds like some crazy Mexican guy ready to kill you.

Another strong name was Mitch because she was a real *itch. A future name is Igor. That sounds tough. Alberto, Isaac, Rafael,Felix are proper names for hurricanes. I have a gut felling Felix and Issac are going to be very bad storms. There having more foriegn names so this may scare the rednecks away??

ElectricBugaloo
*thinks of old George Carlin skit about Hurricane Ed*

fini
Hey If we reach W ( which we will), it will be Wilma!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe

finti
Bona Sera would be a good name for a hurricane

botankus
I'm primed for 2005, when Hurricane (or Tropical Storm, eh) Chris gets in the rotation.

fini
uhhhhh, It IS 2005 botankus!!

botankus
Oops! I guess I'll have to go with 2006. Little early in the morning here.

fini
LOL, looks so.
coffee???

debbiejo
blink laughing out loud

my coffee looks like that....

botankus
So it's 2005. Check.
Need coffee. Check.

This could turn out to be a good day after all.

fini
A lil update, Tropical Storm Ophelia has now been upgraded to a Hurricane.

This is ONE strange storm, It is sitting stationary, which by regular convention, would mean that it would get weaker. But Ophelia has done the opposite. NO word on where she plans to GO NEXT.

manny321
This is as wierd as hurircane Jeanne. It looks like it going to do a 360!

fini
WEll that the best estimate the Models can give us at this point of time.

Remember they are guides, NOT what the Hurricane will do.

botankus
Originally posted by manny321
This is as wierd as hurircane Jeanne. It looks like it going to do a 360!

You're right about that. Jeanne was the strangest one I've ever seen. I was just amazed how accurate the meterologists were on that one.

Royal Knight

X-Menfan87
Originally posted by Acherontia
This morning I herd that they are monitoring a potential Hurrican in the Atlantic moving West towards the Sta-- U.S..

They say It might turn into yet another Hurrican.
O my G@D if that hits New Orleans there is no hope for that place.They need to get those people out and stop trying to save what can't be saved. You can't get blood from a turnip.New Orleans is destoryed.There's nothing they can do. So they need to stop trying to save it and do something to get all those people out.NOW!

fini
dude, calm the f*ck down and ACTUALLY look at the weather channel to see where the hurricane is headed. SHEESH.

ITs nowhere near New Orleans, And try a 'KAtrina" thread, for talking about getting people outta there.

botankus
Originally posted by X-Menfan87
O my G@D if that hits New Orleans there is no hope for that place.They need to get those people out and stop trying to save what can't be saved. You can't get blood from a turnip.New Orleans is destoryed.There's nothing they can do. So they need to stop trying to save it and do something to get all those people out.NOW!

blink

fini
beer ?

botankus
coke

fini
thumb up

whobdamandog
Bump

This just in..Ophelia has just touched North Carolina Cost...we could be in for another big one in the US folks. Particularly on the east coast.

Movie_Geek_
Boy am I glad I do not live near the coast right now. I live as far from the coast on all sides as you can get. I like in Nebraska, which is tornado ally, so we only get a few hundred tornadoes. I still would take that over the coasts right now.

X-Menfan87
Originally posted by whobdamandog
Bump

This just in..Ophelia has just touched North Carolina Cost...we could be in for another big one in the US folks. Particularly on the east coast.
Great,just what we need.As if we don't have enough problems cleaning up from Katrina. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Good thing I live on the west coast.Wait...no I don't, O S**T.This won't be good. sad

fini
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

36 hrs away from us( Trinidad) is a depression forming. When IT does, It will be Tropical Strom Phillippe.

Wahoooooooooooooo

fini
OK there are 2 of them now( damn Phillipe missed us AGAIN)

Tropical Storm Philippe is just east of the Caribbean sea, while tropical depression 18( when named it will be Rita) is north of Hispanola

debbiejo
We got rain from Ophelia.......Nice today though.

manny321
Rita has the same small beginning as Katrina. Same area and the gulf is warm.

fini
hmm that whole region is still very very warm. The average surface temp of the water is OVER 30 C

botankus
Well as usual not a lot of talk about Rita. I'm sure after it hits, that's when folks in the bleachers usually get all riled up and stuff. Kind of like a sports fan who won't say a word before the game, and then if their team wins they come at you like they knew it would happen all along.

debbiejo
We should just name this the hurricane thread...and talk about all of them...cause they keep coming.... reading

jaden101
what is it with hurricane names?...rita?...katrina?...no wonder people dont get out the way...if you name them "hurricane mental satan bastard whore from the planet deathtron 3000" then that'll get some attention and perhaps people will get out of the way

botankus
Well, in 2007 there will be storms named Ingrid and Olga. Is that scary enough for you?

fini
and dont forget the absolutely terrifying one for next year............CHris!!!!!

Capt_Fantastic
I don't want to "hope" for this hurricane Rita to do any damage, but you know, I'm looking forward to what those bible thumpers will have to say after this one, should it do the damage Katrina did. New Orleans was flattened and swallowed by the sea because it was a haven for homosexuals and debauchery. What will they say when G.W.'s home state is flattened and wiped off teh face of the Earth? Will it still be god? Will it be because teh nasty homosexuals went to Texas when Katrina hit? Will I ever be able to spell the word 'the' correctly?

botankus
Originally posted by fini
and dont forget the absolutely terrifying one for next year............CHris!!!!!

Damn skippy. If it's a brutal one I guess I'll prepare for my namesake's lifeline to skip a few years.

fini
lol

X-Woman
Rita's a category 5 now and I LIVE IN HOUSTON TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!! sad sad I'm not evacuating....dad won't let me.

manny321
If your house is strong stay and really prepare to hunker down. Board up windows. However wait a day to see if it will really hit directly to Houston. If it is leave!!! If not stay but set yourself like a bunker.

Its a Cat 5 storm at 165 Mph Winds and its pressure is falling very fast. It will bring strong winds to Houston if its hits directly. Be careful. Its pressure was at 920 Mbar (lower then Andrew Yikes) and that was when it was at 150 Mph. This is getting to become De ja vu.

Next year there is Issac, Rafael. good names
2007 there is Felix
2010 there is Igor.

The Highlord
They should give them some pretty stong names like Hurricane Buldozer, or Hurricane Ironfist, or Hurricane Panzer, or Hurricane bluewhale laughing out loud

manny321
Igor, Felix and Issac are good names. Well with the rising water temps we could get many cat4/5 monsters in the gulf.

Its a cat 5 already and nothing can stop it. It will either stay the same and you better hope it doesn't. Or it will slightly weakento a 4/5. However The wind field is going increase by alot. Its alreday at 70 miles out of center for hurricane force winds. Its going to for sure increase.

manny321
This is getting bad. Its now The 5th strongest storm on record.

the New pressure of the storm is now at 904 Mbar which is almost as strong as Katrina (902 mbar) and it could get lower as it is still in very hot waters. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCUAT3+shtml/212146.shtml

We got a another huge monster on its hands. Its very symmetrical with a well defined eye meaning its a textbook example of a hurricane.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/VIS/20.jpg

fini
ANd she has got a lot of ground to go. Record books, go get some new pages.

Capt_Fantastic
Actually, she's up to the third strongest storm...and the pressure is greater than Katrina's at this point.

manny321
898 Mbar compared to 902 Mbar by Katrina.

If your wondering what the numbers mean. They are the center pressure of the hurricane measured in millibars. The lowest ever in the Atlantic is 888 Mbar by gilbert in 1988 and 1935 Hurricane that had a 892 Mbar. It has surpassed Hurricane Allen (1980) of 899 Mbar. Its going to become another Gilbert however some good news was that Gilbert weakened before land however we never know these hurricanes.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/VIS/20.jpg
Wow what a shot. Our Local Meteorologist said "the more beautiful they look the worse they are."
Just look at the spin at that eye and everything raps around it so nicely. That means its a very bad ass storm.

X-Woman
sad

fini
WOW, just WOW

X-Woman
it's like in The Day After Tomorrow.

fini
lol, but this doesn't have anything to do with global warming. ITs an increased Hurricane season. It happens every 30-50 yrs or so.

manny321
Its a monster on steroids. So are people in Houston leaving or are they are waiting to see where it hit?

Note you may be missed by the center but because the storm is going to get so large you may still get some damage.

manny321
Its now at 175 mph with pressure of 897 Mbar. Unheard of strength really its stronger then Katrina. Whats worse is that THE Hurricane Center actually predicts it will go higher to 180-185 Mph.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/023809.shtml?chart

Its getting serious and it is expected to hit the US as a 4/5 155-160 Mph winds and its current track will hit Houston very very hard.

X-Woman
Alot of people are evacuating Houston...more than I expected. Probably because they are scared of what Katrina did. I'm stocked up with gallons of water, flashlights, and bread and I still don't think I'm ready.

botankus
Originally posted by X-Woman
Rita's a category 5 now and I LIVE IN HOUSTON TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!! sad sad I'm not evacuating....dad won't let me.

Hope you don't live in a mobile home. Good luck to you, though.

manny321
You should really pull out all the stops for this one. Meaning really hunker down and be prepared for a good 12-18 hours of pounding and some flooding maybe. If you get a direct hit you may get some very intense winds that could damage your house.

Its still at 175mph way longer then Katrina. Its expected to weaken to 150-155 mph, but it may surprise us like it already did. They say it will hit the coast 155 mph with storm surges of 25-30 feet. It could be weaker or stronger however the storm surge will destroy the coast just like Mississippi.

debbiejo
Man I'm glad I don't live by the coast...

fini
Bread, BREAD?!?!?!? get something thats not perishable. LIKE canned foods, biscuits, crackers etc. Bread will spoil in 3-4 days..

Damn, while I am SUPERLY impressed with the hurricane right now, I hope that people have gotten out of the coastal regions there. The US army corp released a 'worst possibility" scenario video" last night, and it looked a lot like the before and after pics of Banda Aceh before and after the tsunami.

chances are that Galveston may cease to exist.

Bicnarok
Thats what you get for not signing up for kiota or whatever its called. climate change

fini
OH FOR F*CK sake, this is not global warming.

Melting ice caps is global warming. THIS IS heightened hurricane season( it takes a 10-20 yr period). READ the damn thread. Sheessh.

botankus
fini's right. Whoever's in disagreement with her needs to begin very slowly with a new terminology here...Lesson One: The word "cycles."

fini
hehe

and we are not talking about women here.

botankus
Let's not go there!

The Highlord
Soa when is this gonna hit Houston? today?

botankus
I think Saturday morning.

fini
yep Saturday morning. People there should be feeling tropical storm effects from Friday night.

By this afternoon, Galveston will start seeing increase in sea levels.

New Orleans has started seeing the first of the rain bands from Rita.

X-Woman
This is a local new website here in Houston. Check out the traffic pic. Those are all cars that couldn't move for hours.
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou050922_cd_gburroads.80ccd245.html

debbiejo
Thought this was interesting..

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastdec.shtml

See, this isn't unusual...

botankus
Originally posted by debbiejo
Thought this was interesting..

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastdec.shtml

See, this isn't unusual...

Well, this one post just obliterates the thread about the "US Disasters...Wake Up call," I would think.

manny321
Guys its moving quite slow only 9-10 mph. Thats slow for a massive storm so expect around 18-24 hrs of storm conditions and around 12 hours of very bad conditions.

X-Menfan87
We are going to be in alot of trouble by the time this is over,
http://apnews.myway.com//article/20050923/D8CPMNU82.html

MC Mike
I'm chilling right next to Houston, very probable power outage tomorrow - at least we missed 2 days of school... it's like the snow day that never comes.

X-Woman
What city?

MC Mike
Katy

manny321
Well its weakened and it appears it won't be as intense however water is already going into New orleans.

MC Mike
It was going to weaken regardless, if you expected the Cat 5 to landfall you were gravely mistaken.

The high pressure systems laxing also moved it east, thankfully it went as predicted.

fini
and thats much quicker than expected TOOO.

X-Woman
Ft. Bend County
Winds: 50-60 mph
Gusts: 90 mph
Heavy rain begins Friday morning

I am so overwhelmed.

manny321
Its weaken to cat 3 at 125 mph. The eye and eyewall is literally collapsing. Meaning a good sign for Texas. Good thing it weakened a lot, Katrina was more then enough for this season.

X-Woman
Ok guys....I'm out for now. Let's hope for the best!!

jaden101
good luck

manny321
You guys in Houston may get flooding like TS Allsion because i heard its going to stall. Also The National Hurricane Center says the storm has stooped weakening. So it will most likely stay at 120-125 mph or it can go back to cat 4 strength.

fini
from latest pressure measurement, its weakening a little again. I dont see it going back up to CAT 4

X-Woman
I'm OKAY! smile When it hit it was like a cat. 1 i think. Really really weak. Everything is ok and for those thousand who evacuated that didn't need to...they're screwed.

manny321
Yep it missed you by a alot

manny321
Rita hit mostly rural areas unlike Katrina which hit new Orleans and biloxi hard.
Also the loss of life will be very low (only 2 so far) because many evacuated and it did not directly hit the Galveston and Houston area. If it did this could be a very different story. They all got sort of lucky.

Also why does everyone think that every cat 3 4 storm will have as much damage as katrina. Katrina was much stronger, larger and hit a more sensitive and populated area.

X-Menfan87
Originally posted by X-Woman
I'm OKAY! smile When it hit it was like a cat. 1 i think. Really really weak. Everything is ok and for those thousand who evacuated that didn't need to...they're screwed.
What makes you say that?

X-Woman
Because they didn't need to at all. Houston was nothing but a hard breeze and light rain here. When everyone left there was no more gas and were stuck in traffic for more than 10 hours just to drive up to Austin or Dallas.

X-Menfan87
That sucks. sad

manny321
I know but Houston is very venerable to a direct hit. What do you think would happen with a large city of 5 million getting a direct by a cat 3 storm. Many people would have been killed by the hurricane and aftereffects. I think you remember Allison and that was only a tropical storm. I think we should never take our chances or we learn the hard with Charley and Katrina.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.