This years forgotten nightmare

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Whirlysplatt
Its far sadder, and far worse in terms of human lives and suffering than almost anything else this year......

http://domino-201.worldvision.org/worldvision/eappeal.nsf/egift_feedhungrychildren?Open&campaign=1225113&cmp=KNC-1225113&OVRAW=niger%20famine&OVKEY=niger%20famine&OVMTC=standard

Thoughts........

It seems in view of this and recent developments in the US race is still an issue worldwide, at least as far as the worth of human life is concerned. And it makes me mad!

KharmaDog
The suffering that goes on in other countries will continue to be ignored by north americans because they are so removed from it. The recent disasters in the U.S. are nothing that would blow the minds of any of the people who recenlty lived throught the natural disasters in china or people suffering the famines in other parts of the world. Very sad really.

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by KharmaDog
The suffering that goes on in other countries will continue to be ignored by north americans because they are so removed from it. The recent disasters in the U.S. are nothing that would blow the minds of any of the people who recenlty lived throught the natural disasters in china or people suffering the famines in other parts of the world. Very sad really.

Countries will naturally care more for the people in their own country.

That's not to say the disaster the US experienced in the Gulf Coast is any less of a disaster.

jaden101
indeed...and there has just been another warning on the tv yeaterday that there will be a chronic food shortage by the end of the year in malawi and other countries in africa

so we can all watch ourselves and our leaders do nothing until the starving shildren are plastered all over our screens during your christmas dinner

just like what happened earlier this year in Niger (we were all told it would happen 3 months before it did and before we did anything)

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by jaden101
indeed...and there has just been another warning on the tv yeaterday that there will be a chronic food shortage by the end of the year in malawi and other countries in africa

so we can all watch ourselves and our leaders do nothing until the starving shildren are plastered all over our screens during your christmas dinner

just like what happened earlier this year in Niger (we were all told it would happen 3 months before it did and before we did anything)

I'd love to see an inquest into this by someone -

God maybe?

xmarksthespot
Just a few of the countries with urgent need of food aid (aside from Niger).
(m=million)
Malawi: 4m
Zimbabwe: 4m
Zambia: 1m
Lesotho: 500,000
Mozambique: 400,000
Swaziland: 200,000
Oxfam

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Just a few of the countries with urgent need of food aid (aside from Niger).
(m=million)
Malawi: 4m
Zimbabwe: 4m
Zambia: 1m
Lesotho: 500,000
Mozambique: 400,000
Swaziland: 200,000
Oxfam

Its sickening and whilst Katrina was awful and comparing death is stupid the scale of this is far sadder

mr.smiley
What makes Katrina partialy so terrible is the fact it took the US so long to respond.The biggest super power in the world only sends 300 national guard troops 24 hours befor the hurricane hits.What's even worse is the slow response of the goverment.

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by mr.smiley
What makes Katrina partialy so terrible is the fact it took the US so long to respond.The biggest super power in the world only sends 300 national guard troops 24 hours befor the hurricane hits.What's even worse is the slow response of the goverment.

Exactly. And that's what caused even worse problems to arise.

ElectricBugaloo
don't forget the typhoon that hit Japan a couple of days ago that left at least 100,000 people homeless

well, i guess you'd have to know about it to forget

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by ElectricBugaloo
don't forget the typhoon that hit Japan a couple of days ago that left at least 100,000 people homeless

well, i guess you'd have to know about it to forget

your point is the same as mine and equally well made my friend

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.