The Better Captain

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ESB-1138
Who was a better captain in battle?
Eomer- Horselord of Rohan that led them into battle against Isengard and at Helm's Deep

Faramir- Captain of Gondor that defended it with his elder brother till his death. Also kept the enemy at bay with a group of Rangers.

If Eomer had an army of 1,500 Rohirrim (Knights of Rohan) and Faramir had an army of 1,500 Knights of Gondor into battle with oner another in open field who would win?

Aduruth
Eomer's company would win if they where face Faramir's company on horseback. Don't forget this match is un-balanced(I'm a fan favorite of both-equally) But if you were to put Faramir's men in the wild and Eomer's on horseback, I'd say Faramir, due to the ranger skill. (But that ranger skill would last only for so long.)
I originally thought this thread was if (who would be a better commander if one where to lead an army to face orcs, so I picked a draw) But the true point of this thread really depends on the terrain.

Batman Returns
i would say eomer would win cuz faramir couldnt hold off the enemy THAT well at osgiliath, he just went fleeing back to minas tirith (but really he had no choice, so ill let him go with that).

personally, i think there both good captains, but in battle-wise, i think eomer would win. i mean, he took down a mumakil, and saved the day with gandalf at helms deep. plus, hes just a bit more....how should i say...."agressive" in battle. i dont want to say hes more "manly", cuz faramir was MORE in that department (ya know, seems good with woman, lol, that takes alot more for a man), and eomer was as well, so sayin who is more MANLY would be immature and stupid in a way.

anyways, in short, my vote IN BATTLE goes to Eomer, he always seems more battle-ready, moreso then faramir in some ways.

also, adureth, i live in NJ too! Happy Dance

The Highlord
the better captain is without a doubt faramir, he used great tactis in the forest, Eomer I always saw as a muscelman on horse always headon when attacking, Faramir was more cunning IMO, and would win the horsemen if they where to hunt each other down

ESB-1138
Faramir thinks about what would happen in battle and you can't count his retreat in Osgiliath. He was outnumbered 1 to a 100. Eomer saved the day at Helm's Deep but the Uruk-hai have been fighting through the night. Eomer took down a Mumakil but Faramir and his Rangers took down a squad of Mumakil.

ESB-1138
Let's change the question. Who led the better army against Isengard/Mordor?

gandalftheblack
Originally posted by ESB-1138
Let's change the question. Who led the better army against Isengard/Mordor?

You could not really compare, since the nature of the two conflicts is completely different.

All Eomer did in Isengard, and in Helm's Deep to be precise, is ruh a charge against the uruk-hai - now given the help of gandalf and the destructive power of cavalry versus unfortified infantry, he was destined to win.

Faramir, on the other hand, first patrols Gondors' borders, then fails to hold osgilliath - fails against an army that could not be stopped - and then is sent by denethor for a certain death.

how can you possibly compare these two? eomer gives faramir no chance - unless you want to go into the strength of their faith and motivation, where they would probably draw.

Jaro
If we are talking about books then we have a different story for Eomer was in Helm's Deep and did not come with Gandalf.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.