Im confused

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Antillies
there is all kinds of metall but this conserns the power metall
i heard somewhere that there are two kinds of power metall both european and american power metall and i wonder what is the difference? confused

tabby999
not 100% sure, i think European power metal is more concerned with dragons and shit like that

TheStormrider
Yeah, there are two different kinds of power metal.

Normally, power metal is generally referring to European Power Metal. This is stuff like Blind Guardian (more currently). Earlier European is more like Accept and Helloween. Overall, this part of power metal is more melodic than American.

American power metal is like European power metal combined with thrash elements. Some of the main names here are Manowar, Metal Church, and Savatage. More currently, we have Iced Earth and Nevermore.

Very good question Antilles. Glad to see someone interested in this. Power metal has to be one of my favorite subgenres of metal. Some great suggestions for this field are:

Iced Earth
Blind Guardian
Dream Evil
Dio

There's quite a few more too. I could list more, but these are the best in my personal opinion if you're just starting out. My friend would be yelling at me for not saying Manowar, but you may want to wait til after checking out the ones I mentioned. Or you could go ahead and check them out now. Hell, whatever works for you.

Antillies
i will chek them out cool

Antillies
well i actually know some european power metall bands but since im not very familiar with the genre i just started to research my fav band for fun and then i saw that the genre is powermetall and i didnt really care but then i saw that there was to types and i was like all WTF.I know two bands that plays european powermetall number one(my fav the best band ever)HAMMERFALL and nightwish then there are some more that i am very uncertain FREEDOM CALL maybe? i dunno but i have never heard anything that i know is american powermetall.

Antillies
hmmm my mistake i only know HAMMERFALL as power metall... my mistake embarrasment i just got to know that nighwish is symphonic/gothic/opera metall.

TheStormrider
Originally posted by BornToRule
hmmm my mistake i only know HAMMERFALL as power metall... my mistake embarrasment i just got to know that nighwish is symphonic/gothic/opera metall.

That's if you want to get freaky with the genres, and if you're just learning about them, that's not a good idea. I know someone who tried to explain Mr. Bungle and gave me five different genres. In reality, we just refer to them as Experimental or Avant Garde.

One of my friends is a huge fan and refers to them as symphonic metal with operatic femal vocals. Power metal works just as well but veterans of genres like to be specific.

As for your American Power Metal comments, Nevermore is an excellent example of it and you may want to check out the new album, which kicks major arse. Anything by Iced Earth is good too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.