Supermans Top speed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hit_and_Miss
I've seen in many places superman going really fast. But I'm at a lost to his actual top speed... Some people tell me its lightspeed.. other say its much greater..

With the aid of scans can someone help me plz!

Hit_and_Miss
no one can give me an answer?????

T.M
i believe its about the speed of light ( 186,000 miles per second smart ).

eleveninches
Precrisis could go faster than the speed of light (time travel, intergalactic travel)
Postcrisis is slightly less than the speed of light (often having close races with the flash)
Prime is beyond speed, and can travel as fast as he wants

Draco69
Post-Crisis CAN exceed lightspeed as long as he's amped by the sun.

Tha C-Master
I think he is asking in regards to a normal matchup with no sun boost...

ZephroCarnelian
Precrisis Supes could travel at ANY speed.

At one point he exceeded 365,000 times the speed of light.

In another issue he was sent to a blackhole at the end of the universe - note UNIVERSE not galaxy.

He was back in minutes.

Nowadays, people tend to chuck around the speed of light as being about his top speed.

Hope this helps. smile

Fanboy
I know he can not go as fast around humans because it would like send shockwaves to them like Neo did in the Matrix part 2 at the end where he was going to save Trinity.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Fanboy
I know he can not go as fast around humans because it would like send shockwaves to them like Neo did in the Matrix part 2 at the end where he was going to save Trinity. But that's a holding back sort of thing. . . not that the prescence of humans directly depowers him.

snoopdogg
In Flash #209 Superman was chasing Flash and shot a low intensity heat vision beam to try and make Wally loose his balance. Wally then said that he was faster than heat vision.

But while Flash was outrunning his heat vision Superman was still behind him...............................

((The_Anomaly))
superman cant reach lightspeed. nothing can. he is not a god and cant change the physical universe to suit himself any way he wants.

to reach lightspeed physically he would have to be capable of producing infinite energy (which he isnt, he has energy limits) and even if he could produce infinite energy (which nothing in the universe can) he would cease to be matter and would become energy, and theres no way to get back to being matter after that point.

he MAY be able to come close to lightspeed in space with no gravity and no friction, say 150,000 mps but anything more then that the energy requirements become unfeasible.

and in the presence of an atmosphere, it would be considerably less then that.

snoopdogg
And 600 years ago everybody knew the world was flat.

If we used real life science in comics they would be boring.

Solidus Snake
i saw a website which said supes top speed in the atmosphere is 1% of light speed or mach 8700

damn impressive

he can get from the earth to the moon in 2 mins

Solidus Snake
actually according to wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman

Hit_and_Miss
so Post supes top speed is lightspeed, possibly just a little faster....

snoopdogg
I would say in space he is faster than light.

In the atmosphere he is close to light.

tonyman1989
In a comic I have he states hes going top speed and I figure it out to be 5,200 miles per second.

snoopdogg
What issue was it?

i don't know if any of you read the last issue of jla elite that came out duruing the summer were they were batteling manchester and supes decided to fly to the sun and in that same issue batman states there that supes can fly to the sun and be back in less than a minute. if you don;t believe me then go to where ever you get your comics and see it for your selfs am not kidding he goes wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster than light speed

Hit_and_Miss
It seems to me that superman is constantly blown out of proportion by his writers.... Being able to go at lightspeed, I can except... But to be able to get to the sun in a min would require going at x8 lightspeed...

Another scan I've seen shows him escaping a double black hole, this would require at least double lightspeed possibly more to escape, In a ludicrously high gravity environment...

Would this not make supes faster then the flash? (without flash drainning supes of his speed)

ZephroCarnelian
Are we talking modern Superman or pre-crisis Superman...?

olympian
"Would this not make supes faster then the flash? (without flash drainning supes of his speed"

No.

Hes slower than Flash, thats all one needs to know.

Hit_and_Miss
modern supes...

ok... so what its supes top speed then olympian? if he can get to the sun in less time than it takes light???

how fast can flash go??? ( i though it was lightspeed, then he enters speedforce and its just teleporting....

((The_Anomaly))
as i said, even flash should not be able to reach lightspeed.

close? maybe, but not possible.

the comics are sometimes stupid with these kinda of things. superman isnt a god. hes REALLY REALLY fast, hes REALLY REALLY strong. but he wouldent be able to move planets, and go x8 lightspeed. not unless he strapped a spacetime bending machine on his back.

in the new supes movie (superman returns) he uses a spaceship to travel around the universe (back to whats left of krypton). why is that if he can do it himself? because he cant go that fast, to make him be able to is just stupid.

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by eleveninches
Precrisis could go faster than the speed of light (time travel, intergalactic travel)
Postcrisis is slightly less than the speed of light (often having close races with the flash)
Prime is beyond speed, and can travel as fast as he wants

How do you know how fast Superman Prime is? confused

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
modern supes...

ok... so what its supes top speed then olympian? if he can get to the sun in less time than it takes light???

how fast can flash go??? ( i though it was lightspeed, then he enters speedforce and its just teleporting....

When was the last time Superman was clocked traveling to the sun? An artist's depiction can be decieving. I can, however, recall Superman explicitly stating that he cannot move faster than light.

I'd say Superman's capable of near-light speeds in space, but on Earth, he's considerably slower.

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by snoopdogg
And 600 years ago everybody knew the world was flat.

If we used real life science in comics they would be boring.

Agreed. Real world physics don't necessarily apply in a world of fantasty such as a comic book.

Superman's top speed can be inconsistant. I think that some of his writers may very well consider him faster than light. Others clearly don't. Superman's top speed depends on who's writing him.

((The_Anomaly))
ok, i accept that in comics it depends on the writers but honestly supes or flash being able to move at lightspeed is incredibly dumb.

when i read superman or see him (movie, TV etc.)

i dont want him to be godlike, THAT makes it boring. thats why they changed supes (post crisis) cause it was just too stupid.

superman should be strong, fast, etc. etc. but within the realm of reason and some logic.

writers need to at least try to make supes seem at least somewhat "human" (for better lack of the word)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.