How...?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Neo_Version 7
How do you guys not get scared of movies? Seriously. Movies that i watched with a pillow over my face were Grudge, TCM remake, other slasher flicks, and you guys just find it not scary. How do you guys do that?

Seriously. I don't want to have to watch House of Wax with a girl and screaming like one. (btw i haven't seen it yet, so no spoilers please)

I want to overcome my fears of horror movies. erm

Impediment
Not all people are scared of the same thing, is the best way I can say it. What may seem horrifying to you may seem childish and stupid to me and vice versa. The movies that genuinly scared and rattled me, and still do, are The Changeling, Halloween, and Poltergeist. But I don't hold a pillow over my face or sleep with my light on because I remember that they are just fictional stories on film with lots of music and special effects. I admit that my nerves get rattled sometimes, but that's the whole idea for wanting to watch a good horror flick................that and I like to see senseless graphic violence and gore. LOL. Seriously though, we do get scared sometimes (even if Im the only one to admit it), not lately however with all the shitty flicks Hollywood poops out. Thats what keeps up coming back for more and more.

Neo_Version 7
Yeah, but how do you guys do it?

Nothing scares backfire for instance. erm

tabby999
nothing in a movie is real. its a series of made up, flickering images. movies used to scare me till i think "this is just some guy in a suit" then you watch the movies for a good time, not to be too worried about being scared

Neo_Version 7
Well, yeah, after i watched the Grudge for the second time, it was kinda funny even.

tabby999
exactly, its all just a ruse, hell, i dont think i've seen a horror movie that hasn't made me laugh at it...except maybe 28 Days Later, love that flick

Impediment
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7

Nothing scares backfire for instance. erm

And just how do we know that our fearless moderator isn't scared sometimes? LOL wink

romper_stomper
hmmmm if tcm remake and the grudge scared you,i reccomend you never watch the original tcm,the exorcist,last house on dead end st,just before dawn and way to many more old but fan****intastic scary as hell movies these movies will scare the shit outta ya

Impediment
If you were scared by "The Grudge" then you'll probably shit yourself with fear if you watch "The Changeling" starring George C. Scott, about a haunted house with the very pissed off spirit of a nine year old boy. Fantastic ghost movie! Highly recommended.

Cinemaddiction
I'm jaded. I kill people in real life, so movies just give me ideas.

BackFire
Most mainstream horror films are highly predictable and rely almost soley on the half assed horror style of jump scares, which anyone can do. I just don't find a loud, generic noise accompanied by a quick predictable camera movement frightening.

Impediment
Ditto.

Wolfie
I agree with BF.

Also, it's just a movie on a television (or theater) screen. No matter how scary it looks, it can't hurt you.

Neo_Version 7
Originally posted by BackFire
Most mainstream horror films are highly predictable and rely almost soley on the half assed horror style of jump scares, which anyone can do. I just don't find a loud, generic noise accompanied by a quick predictable camera movement frightening.

See, 80% of the time, THAT'S what scares me. sad

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
How do you guys not get scared of movies? Seriously. Movies that i watched with a pillow over my face were Grudge, TCM remake, other slasher flicks, and you guys just find it not scary. How do you guys do that?

Well, nowadays Horror movies aren't scary no more. Grudge was pointless so I don't kow how someone can be scared of it and movies these days don't have no innovation

BaronOBeefDip
It's kinda ironic for me that horror films don't usually scare me...although it's been a while since I've watched them, so I don't remember many of them, when I'm easily frightened in real life. I guess it's because I know it's just a movie and that the chances of something like it happening in real life are highly unlikely if not impossible.

eggmayo
I got it into my head that its a piece of silicon slotted into a machine when I was about 8 years old.

Pandemoniac
Agreeing with BF and the rest; a boom and a sudden image is all that most current filmmakers rely on to 'frighten' the audience. For me, the scare of horror lies in the blank expectation of what will happen next, and being shocked/amused even when expecting something gruesome, when it happens. It wont really scare me, but in case of a good flick I could live in to it. I want to go 'Ohh shit!' or 'Bhhlurggg' or 'Whahahaaa', not 'Oeh, better turn the set down or the guy next door might get pissed'.

tabby999
jumping because they make a sudden noise isn't being scared, its just unexpected. it gets most people.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by tabby999
jumping because they make a sudden noise isn't being scared, its just unexpected. it gets most people.

I've seen a lot girls jump because of unusually sounds

Wolfie
Jump scares are crap.

Being scared is watching TCM and being afraid to go to Texas.

kmcdude
When I was young they scared me,however now that I am older there are 3 movies that honestly still freak me out

1.''IT''

2.Clownhouse

3.Blair witch project

Pandemoniac
Originally posted by Wolfie
Jump scares are crap.

Being scared is watching TCM and being afraid to go to Texas.

Good example. Like many people were afraid to swim in the sea after Jaws came out. That's what the scare effect should be all about, it should stick in your mind long after the the scene has passed from the screen, twisting around in your brain, making you sweat even just remembering it...

BaronOBeefDip
Very true. I mean, I was and still am nervous about taking a shower ever since I saw Psycho. I'm afraid that I'm gonna be attacked by some deranged lunatic.

Neo_Version 7
That's really scary. erm

BaronOBeefDip
Hey, different people are scared of different things. Some people are scared of drowning. Some are scared of dogs. I'm afraid of heights and drowning.

Impediment
I think, as far as movies go, the number one movie to 100% scare the living dogsh*t out of audiences was "Jaws". I can't think of any other movie off the top of my head to do that.

Impediment
I think that anyone who says "Jaws" didn't scare them, even a little, is lying out of their ass.

Pandemoniac
Yeah, I saw it for the first time when I was 11 and I was horrified! I dreamt of sharks all week...

eggmayo
Originally posted by Impediment
I think that anyone who says "Jaws" didn't scare them, even a little, is lying out of their ass.
But I saw it first when I was 14, and I thought it was a shark puppet no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.