Why are they Celebrities?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Veneficus
Call me stupid...but seriously why are actors considered celebrities?

What have they done besides get on stage or in front of a camera? They get payed millions while the avarage American must work is ass off to make 80k in a single year or even lower.

What about all those solders in Iraq who are risking their lives everyday? Are they not heros and celebreties?

So tell me...what is so great about these so called celebrities?

CrazyInLove
Originally posted by Veneficus

What have they done besides get on stage or in front of a camera? They get payed millions while the avarage American must work is ass off to make 80k in a single year or even lower.

What about all those solders in Iraq who are risking their lives everyday? Are they not heros and celebreties?

So tell me...what is so great about these so called celebrities?

they entertain us, don't they? don't you watch movies? and it isn't like acting is easy.. they go through a lot.. but it's life everyone goes through a lot! I mostly admire celebrities for doing what they do, and a lot of celebrities give money to charities and try to help. I admire anyone who works hard and helps others.. whether it is celbrities, regular people, or soldiers..

JenR1215
they inspire us, they give us sumthing to look up to, they help us in chareties, they're wonderfull to look at. they keep us preoccupide, etc

they give us a lot of stuff. They're wonderful people.

debbiejo
Because people "celebrate" watching them.....and don't have a real life.? blink

People like be entertained.......but they are not the real HERO'S.......And I don't think they should be treated sooooo special......Soldiers....NOW...THAT'S WHAT WE SHOULD BE LOOKING UP TO.......

GCG
The celebrity status is donned on them by the public, the tabloids and the media.

Most of them dont like all the attention they get in the long run, and envy the 'normal' people.

JenR1215
Originally posted by debbiejo

People like be entertained.......but they are not the real HERO'S.......And I don't think they should be treated sooooo special......Soldiers....NOW...THAT'S WHAT WE SHOULD BE LOOKING UP TO.......

I conciser soldier celebs. THEY ARE. they get better funerals than the Stars of TV. And most movie stars PLAY soldiers in movie. Half of the stars of today got there big breaks in movies playing soldiers.

usaflag

X-Menfan87
Originally posted by Veneficus

So tell me...what is so great about these so called celebrities? You are so right if anyone should be called celebs is the soldiers in Iraq! tomcat

FeceMan
Why? Because the average person sucks.

RedAlertv2
And you are above-average, oh exalted one roll eyes (sarcastic)

bilb

yes and teachers smile

Bardock42
Originally posted by bilb
yes and teachers smile

And Batman yes

Anyways, it is actually quite easy, they are celebrities because people celebrate them........and they make that much money because millions of people pay ten bucks to see them on screen...so they quite deserve that money.....Soldiers and Teachers would get the same amount of money if millions of people would pay ten bucks to get shot or educated by them......but they don't......

debbiejo
Originally posted by bilb
yes and teachers smile

Yep and teachers....and people who make a REAL DIFFERENCE while here on this planet...

Bardock42
Yes and people who talk bullshit all the time.......what the hell...how is anyone that just does their job a hero.....major bullshitizzle heading our way.

debbiejo
OK Bardock42....just go watch "Bay Watch" and tell us about your heros...

Bardock42
OK Bardock42....just go watch "Bay Watch" and tell us about your heros...
Yes, yes debbie.......very good....my question still stands though ...why is someone that just does their job a hero? And even more why do Politicians get Peace Nobel Prizes although it is their damn job to bring peace......

debbiejo
There is a difference between TV/movie programs and people who try to make a difference....

Fishy
Originally posted by Bardock42
Yes, yes debbie.......very good....my question still stands though ...why is someone that just does their job a hero? And even more why do Politicians get Peace Nobel Prizes although it is their damn job to bring peace......

Because its not a politician his or her job to bring peace, its just something some of them want to do and they get a prize for that. If a normal human being does more to promote peace then they will get the price.

Now teachers are great people but they are not hero's they do their job. Soldiers are not hero's either they do their job too. Some of them may be brave or great while doing so but in essence they are all doing what they should be doing. A soldier a teacher a singer or an actor. It doesn't matter they do what they should do, and those actors happen to entertain millions of people while doing so, that makes them popular. That makes them known, that makes them what they are. They are entertainers thats all they are, and they manage to do it on a level higher then most other people. They deserve the title of celebrities far more then any soldier or teacher.

Soldiers and teachers are not special. They do not entertain the masses, you don't celebrate when you see them. Maybe you should but you don't. They are not nor will they ever be celebrity's. They are not known enough they don't entertain enough they aren't considered important enough. Foolish perhaps but true.

Bardock42
There is a difference between TV/movie programs and people who try to make a difference....
Not really.........

xmarksthespot
Anyways, it is actually quite easy, they are celebrities because people celebrate them........and they make that much money because millions of people pay ten bucks to see them on screen...so they quite deserve that money.....Soldiers and Teachers would get the same amount of money if millions of people would pay ten bucks to get shot or educated by them......but they don't...... You think they deserve the amounts of money they get? They achieve the exorbitant pay cheques they receive not because they perform great feats but because society has misplaced values. How does that equal being deserving? No one deserves to be a billionaire when there are billions of people on Earth who earn less than a dollar a day.

Bardock42
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
You think they deserve the amounts of money they get? They achieve the exorbitant pay cheques they receive not because they perform great feats but because society has misplaced values. How does that equal being deserving? No one deserves to be a billionaire when there are billions of people on Earth who earn less than a dollar a day.

Actually they do....because they are wioth that amount of money to someone. The communistic ideal of equality is a scary scenario, why should everyone have the same...maybe I am crazy but Christian Bale that entertained me a good 2 hours in the batman movie is worth my ten bucks while some beggar on the streets of Delhi just isn't...if he is worth that for you great...go ahead...give him your money....but it's a free universe and I don't think I should be forced to adapt your set of values.

Fishy
You think they deserve the amounts of money they get? They achieve the exorbitant pay cheques they receive not because they perform great feats but because society has misplaced values. How does that equal being deserving? No one deserves to be a billionaire when there are billions of people on Earth who earn less than a dollar a day.

Wrong..

We pay them now don't we? They entertain us, they make us happy. We pay them what we think they deserve. If they weren't worthy of those millions they wouldn't have it because we wouldn't watch their movies and buy their albums and god knows what. Its obvious that we think they deserve the crap they have. Otherwise they wouldn't have it.

debbiejo
while some beggar on the streets of Delhi just isn't...if he is worth that for you great...go ahead...give him your money....but it's a free universe and I don't think I should be forced to adapt your set of values.

Who's forcing you?....But in my opinion...human life is more important than fictional programs.

xmarksthespot
You pay them exorbitant amounts because their worth is overrated. That doesn't mean they are actually deserving of the money they receive for the quantity and quality of work that they do.

Fishy
Who's forcing you?....But in my opinion...human life is more important than fictional programs.

So instead of watching movies in a theather you send 10 dollars to a homeless person in god knows what place?

Instead of listening to music you send money to other people?

So you have no games, no movies, no music in your home at all?

Bardock42

No one and that's the way it should be.....as for yout "human life is more important than fictional programs" that's good for you..really...I don't want to take that from you...but then really take the responsibility don't watch TV anymore don't go to the Cinema best cut off all media you have and spend your money on "helping people".....but what I am I saying...you won't...it'S easy to type it over the internet but life is just to comfortable isn't it..........hypocrits.....

debbiejo
Originally posted by Fishy
So instead of watching movies in a theather you send 10 dollars to a homeless person in god knows what place?

Instead of listening to music you send money to other people?

So you have no games, no movies, no music in your home at all?

I have sacrificed.....yes...

Fishy
You pay them exorbitant amounts because their worth is overrated. That doesn't mean they are actually deserving of the money they receive for the quantity and quality of work that they do.

They get what we are willing to pay them... Sure the money could be spent at other places, sure I think they have to much money. But its apparantly what they deserve because they only get money as long as we are willing to pay for their products. We are still willing to do that, meaning they do get what they deserve.

Bardock42
No it is not overated...it is not possible to be overated except if the Government steps in......in a true capitalistic system everyone gets what they deserve.

And with actors it is not overated either...I am willing to pay that amount of money so they are clearly wotrth it...if you never go to the cinema that is good....if you would they would bbe even worth more money, but they still get what people are willing to pay for the.

Bardock42
I have sacrificed.....yes...

What?-...How much?...when was the last time you watched a movie?

And dammit Fishy you alwqays beat me to the answers...pros to you.

xmarksthespot
They get what we are willing to pay them... Sure the money could be spent at other places, sure I think they have to much money. But its apparantly what they deserve because they only get money as long as we are willing to pay for their products. We are still willing to do that, meaning they do get what they deserve. What people are willing to pay someone is not the same as what a person deserves for the quality and quantity of the work that they do.
No it is not overated...it is not possible to be overated except if the Government steps in......in a true capitalistic system everyone gets what they deserve.

And with actors it is not overated either...I am willing to pay that amount of money so they are clearly wotrth it...if you never go to the cinema that is good....if you would they would bbe even worth more money, but they still get what people are willing to pay for the. Not overrated? erm Okay...
In a true capitalist system everyone gets what they deserve... sure...
Read above.

Fishy
Cool isn't? stick out tongue

But indeed Debbie how much, do you have music or movies or games? Because if you do then you obviously think those people deserve a lot of money, maybe not as much as others are willing to give them. But you are still paying them.

debbiejo
What?-...How much?...when was the last time you watched a movie?

And dammit Fishy you alwqays beat me to the answers...pros to you.

Who said I don't watch movies?.....But I do sacrifice many things....I've given birthday money that was sent to me to someone else who really needed it.....I've paid for others long over due bill without them knowing it......Human life is more important...

Yet, still I go to movies...I listen to music....I might not live in the finest house or have the newest car though....But I'm fine with this... material things don't mean that much to me..

Bardock42
What people are willing to pay someone is not the same as what a person deserves for the quality and quantity of the work that they do.
Not overrated? erm Okay...
In a true capitalist system everyone gets what they deserve... sure...
Read above.
Actually it is.....

Read above.

Cool isn't? stick out tongue

But indeed Debbie how much, do you have music or movies or games? Because if you do then you obviously think those people deserve a lot of money, maybe not as much as others are willing to give them. But you are still paying them.

Yes I am suprised, didn't find many people over here that share my view on philosophy and politics.

Fishy
What people are willing to pay someone is not the same as what a person deserves for the quality and quantity of the work that they do.

Sure it is, lets just look at oil.

We need it now, its rare so people are willing to pay more money for oil.

The prices adjust to the need of the people. We need them apparantly so they deserve the money. You can argue it for hours, but the fact is if they didn't deserve it they wouldn't get it. They are getting the moeny so they deserve it.

Fishy
Who said I don't watch movies?.....But I do sacrifice many things....I've given birthday money that was sent to me to someone else who really needed it.....I've paid for others long over due bill without them knowing it......Human life is more important...

Yet, still I go to movies...I listen to music....I might not live in the finest house or have the newest car though....But I'm fine with this... material things don't mean that much to me..

So then you still think they deserve the things they get... You are still willing to pay them. Why would you do that if they don't deserve it? You obviously think they deserve it otherwise you wouldn't pay for it.

Bardock42

Well for every movie you watched you could have given a human child ten dollars for every CD you bought you could have saved the beggar on the street corner from starvation.......so don't say it is more important to you...it is just more important to you to the extend as you can be seen as a caring human ....probably you tell all your friends that you spent your birthday money.......god.....it is so shallow.

xmarksthespot
Oil prices are inflated - the death of the Saudi king, Iranian nuclear worries, Iraq war - so your analogy suits my argument better than yours. Commodities can have inflated prices - so can occupations.

Bardock42
Sure it is, lets just look at oil.

We need it now, its rare so people are willing to pay more money for oil.

The prices adjust to the need of the people. We need them apparantly so they deserve the money. You can argue it for hours, but the fact is if they didn't deserve it they wouldn't get it. They are getting the moeny so they deserve it.

I agree wit you...just one thing the secons the government steps in and taxes or does anything else with it the system gets perverted......the government should just keep to themself.

Fishy
Oil prices are inflated - the death of the Saudi king, Iranian nuclear worries, Iraq war - so your analogy suits my argument better than yours. Commodities can have inflated prices - so can occupations.

No it doesn't, we need it we want it we are willing to pay for it. Prices won't drop until we stop paying for it. Its very simple. Movie stars will not get paid less until we stop paying them. Oil is worth what we are willing to pay for it, the same goes for movie stars. They get what we want to pay.

xmarksthespot
Well for every movie you watched you could have given a human child ten dollars for every CD you bought you could have saved the beggar on the street corner from starvation.......so don't say it is more important to you...it is just more important to you to the extend as you can be seen as a caring human ....probably you tell all your friends that you spent your birthday money.......god.....it is so shallow. You are missing the point entirely. Just because you think something is worth a certain amount doesn't prove it's true value.

Give a chocolate bar to a fat man. How much is it worth?
Give a chocolate bar to a starving man. How much is it worth?
The chocolate bar is actually the same both times.

I'm not arguing whether society values entertainment. Society has stupid values.

Fishy
You are missing the point entirely. Just because you think something is worth a certain amount doesn't prove it's true value.

I'm not arguing whether society values entertainment. Society has stupid values.

No its not.

The fat guy might give you 2 cents for it becuase he already had a shit load of chocolate bars seconds ago.

The starving guy might give you all the money he has for it.

Meaning that the chocolate bar is worth a lot more in a certain area of the world or to certain people. The chocolate bar is not more expensive to make but its worth a hell of a lot more to some people then to others. Its how the world works, if something is rare its going to cost you more then if its not. Obviously food is rare for the starving man so he would pay a lot more for the candy.

debbiejo
probably you tell all your friends that you spent your birthday money.......god.....it is so shallow.

I've NEVER told them it was my birthday money...and never told I was helping out some....If I'm asked...I say, well who ever it is...must not want you to know...WHAT WOULD BE THE PURPOSE IN TELLING THEM?
I'm not looking for stokes from anyone else.

I believe in balance.....But if one person can make a difference in another fellow human being, so be it......doesn't mean....no more entertainment for me....I just feel people are more important than things...and Celebraties...are just for entertainment...we all need that of course...I'ts just very overrated

xmarksthespot
OMG. Do you seriously not realise what I'm trying to say?
Perception of value is not the same as actual value.
Society has heavily misplaced values.

A pro athlete is not more deserving of money than a doctor or teacher.

Fishy
OMG. Do you seriously not realise what I'm trying to say?
Perception of value is not the same as actual value.
Society has heavily misplaced values.

No I don't think you are getting how this world works, I understand what you are trying to say but its simply not true.

There work may be easier then other work that is paid less, it may not be as important. But the fact is we are willing to pay them for it. We are paying them for it. Obviously society thinks they deserve the money so they get it. Yes when you look at other harder jobs you might think they shouldn't earn as much. But the fact is they entertain us we are willing to give money for that. We are doing that, they get what they deserve. Maybe the way we judge their salaries is wrong but its what we do. So they only get what they deserve. Its how this world works.

xmarksthespot
No I don't think you are getting how this world works, I understand what you are trying to say but its simply not true.

There work may be easier then other work that is paid less, it may not be as important. But the fact is we are willing to pay them for it. We are paying them for it. Obviously society thinks they deserve the money so they get it. Yes when you look at other harder jobs you might think they shouldn't earn as much. But the fact is they entertain us we are willing to give money for that. We are doing that, they get what they deserve. Maybe the way we judge their salaries is wrong but its what we do. So they only get what they deserve. Its how this world works. For f*cks sake, I know how the world works - it's driven by greed and selfishness. But comments like the actor deserves exorbitant amounts of money are irritating. They don't actually. They get paid $10 million for six months of dressing up and learning lines. They only receive those amounts of money because society has placed an inflated worth on what they do. People willing to pay more money for something doesn't make it more valuable or productive.

Bardock42
You are missing the point entirely. Just because you think something is worth a certain amount doesn't prove it's true value.

Actually there is no true value...for there to be one there had to be something that decides a goal or something we can measure the true valuie on.

Give chocolate to fat man....1.29$
Give Chocolate to Starving Child ....1.29$

Now what it is worth to you is different ..... you seem to be one that rprefers giving chocolate to starving children so the deed is worth more to youi than the fat man deed....

Other perspective...although the Fat man probably really wants the chocolate it isn't worth as much too hi than ist is to the kid...but the kid has no oney because the kid is not worth a lot to people with money .......

I a not argueing that either I am argueing why thesy get the money they get.

Fishy
For f*cks sake, I know how the world works - it's driven by greed and selfishness. But comments like the actor deserves exorbitant amounts of money are irritating. They don't actually. They get paid $10 million for six months of dressing up and learning lines. They only receive those amounts of money because society has placed an inflated worth on what they do. People willing to pay more money for something doesn't make it more valuable or productive.

Not more productive, but apparantly more valuable. The world is indeed a stupid place to live and people have misplaced values. They think some worthless things are more important then real important things, but thats how the world works there is nothing you or I can do about it. But it does make the actors valuable.

If you see how much money can be made by them, or because of them. If you see what people are willing to do to meet them to talk to them to see them. The actors give humans a good feeling somekind of importance that makes them worth a lot. Even if what they make has a sucky quality.

xmarksthespot
Not more productive, but apparantly more valuable. The world is indeed a stupid place to live and people have misplaced values. They think some worthless things are more important then real important things, but thats how the world works there is nothing you or I can do about it. But it does make the actors valuable.

If you see how much money can be made by them, or because of them. If you see what people are willing to do to meet them to talk to them to see them. The actors give humans a good feeling somekind of importance that makes them worth a lot. Even if what they make has a sucky quality. So we actually agree sort of? I simply think "deserves" is the wrong word to use. Earned yes, deserves well frankly I don't think so. And the two are different things imo.
Actually there is no true value...for there to be one there had to be something that decides a goal or something we can measure the true valuie on.

Give chocolate to fat man....1.29$
Give Chocolate to Starving Child ....1.29$

Now what it is worth to you is different ..... you seem to be one that rprefers giving chocolate to starving children so the deed is worth more to youi than the fat man deed....

Other perspective...although the Fat man probably really wants the chocolate it isn't worth as much too hi than ist is to the kid...but the kid has no oney because the kid is not worth a lot to people with money ....... What the f**k? are you on about?Originally posted by Bardock42
I a not argueing that either I am argueing why thesy get the money they get. They get the money because society has stupid values. Read above the quotes.

Bardock42
So we actually agree sort of? I simply think "deserves" is the wrong word to use. Earned yes, deserves well frankly I don't think so. And the two are different things imo.
What the f**k? are you on about?They get the money because society has stupid values. Read above the quotes.

Deserve surely is the right word in that case though.....

Ahh well nevermind........pretty much what fishy said from another perspective....

And who decides the "Real Values"? You?.....Why are societies values stupid? Aren'T they in fact the only ones that actually count?

xmarksthespot
Societies values are stupid - someone who runs really fast is valued more by society than someone who's dedicated their life to saving lives. Although I doubt I'll have any luck convincing you, Captain Capitalism.

Fishy
You know the thing is, the guy that runs really fast is seen as a hero by a lot of people. That makes him really important to those people. He saves lives by being able to run fast.

But in essence we sort of agree... They deserve it because society values them like that. But they don't deserve it because what they do isn't hard enough there are people who do more but get less. Still thats just how society has made it, and they earned that money. Society thinks they deserve it, so they do deserve it.

xmarksthespot
We basically agree. But could you clarify on why the runner saves lives?

Fishy
He inspires people, famous people whether an athlete an actor a politician a singer or whatever inspires people. Can give them hope can give them a reason can make them lose doubts. That helps make people. They help make people what they are. If you inspire somebody to do something you have helped make that person what he is. That is like creating somebody his live, often times for the better thus saving them. Maybe not the way a fireman saves lives but they still do it. And in large numbers making them damn important. Society needs its hero's always has always will.

Bardock42
Societies values are stupid - someone who runs really fast is valued more by society than someone who's dedicated their life to saving lives. Although I doubt I'll have any luck convincing you, Captain Capitalism.

Ok....first of all you can't really say any values are good or stupid......what is there we can measure values with. Now in fact I personally might value lets say a Doctor more than an Athlete and I am willing to pay more for a Doctor than an athlete. But I if I only have to pay ten bucks for a movie that is fine with me...a price I am willing to pay and I would pay 1000 bucks for a doctor that heals my broken leg so in fact I (ands everyone else values doctors more) but I only need someone to fix my leg let's say every 20 years (probably not even that) and there are ten thousand doctors that can do it, I enjoy going to a movie every month or so thouzgh and there are only a few hundred actors I like to see........you see it is easy to calculate......and all in all they get more money because more people are willing to pay money....and they deserve this money because they get people to pay it while the NUrse in a Hospital only gets a few people to pay her money and can easily be replaced.

by the way...what gender are you?

xmarksthespot
Ok....first of all you can't really say any values are good or stupid......what is there we can measure values with. Now in fact I personally might value lets say a Doctor more than an Athlete and I am willing to pay more for a Doctor than an athlete. But I if I only have to pay ten bucks for a movie that is fine with me...a price I am willing to pay and I would pay 1000 bucks for a doctor that heals my broken leg so in fact I (ands everyone else values doctors more) but I only need someone to fix my leg let's say every 20 years (probably not even that) and there are ten thousand doctors that can do it, I enjoy going to a movie every month or so thouzgh and there are only a few hundred actors I like to see........you see it is easy to calculate......and all in all they get more money because more people are willing to pay money....and they deserve this money because they get people to pay it while the NUrse in a Hospital only gets a few people to pay her money and can easily be replaced.

by the way...what gender are you? Why are you measuring everything in terms of how much people are willing to pay for something? You certainly hold nurses in low regard... erm

As for my gender... I have no idea why it's relevant but I'm a guy.

Btw everything I write is my opinion. I never intend anything as an absolute - unless it's proven actual factual information - in which case I will present it as such. I'm not deciding societies values are stupid - I think societies values are stupid.

Bardock42
Why are you measuring everything in terms of how much people are willing to pay for something? You certainly hold nurses in low regard... erm

As for my gender... I have no idea why it's relevant but I'm a guy.

No I don't.....I think nurses are great ynd all...as people they are worth as much to me as anyone else..:I make no difference...I am just not willing to pay the same amount of money for their profession as for an accountant that can tripple my money.

As for your gender, it is important because I don't really like to refering to people as "it", so in tjhe future I will say "he" talking aboot you.....nothing more really.

Fishy
Because thats what they are worth to society. They might be worth far more to you once you need them then a movie star but you need the movie star more often making them worth more. Especially to the entire world, a movie star is far more important to the entire world then the nurse in your local hospital is. Maybe not to you when you need the nurse, but to the entire world? The movie star has a far greater impact on the world affecting the lives of millions if not billions making them more important then the nurse that affects the lives of a 1000 at most.

xmarksthespot
The day I let a movie star decide anything in my life my life is the day after I've lost my mind.

Bardock42
The day I let a movie star decide anything in my life my life is the day after I've lost my mind.

Well.....that's good...and yo don't need them to decide for you.....maybe they make you feel better. Who knows.

Anyways....be hojnest...how often did you watch a movie (TV or Home) in the last year? And what do you think all in all you payed for it?

Fishy
Are you so sure? Have you ever been sad or happy after hearing a song. A song can influence your entire mood and often does. Ever decided to do something after seeing a movie on a certain subject? A lot of people have... They are not doing something because the movie star says "Do this and do that" but because the movie the actor plays in makes them think about certain things. Movies can influence the minds of billions. They can make people accept or hate things, they can make people like or hate things. A great movie about the torturing of prisoners would make a lot of people wonder about prison guards and might even start a riot about it. A great movie about how good prisons are put in a realistic picture might make people believe that.

Its what happens with movies. Its what they do. They influence people, whether they like it or not.

xmarksthespot
Well.....that's good...and yo don't need them to decide for you.....maybe they make you feel better. Who knows.

Anyways....be hojnest...how often did you watch a movie (TV or Home) in the last year? And what do you think all in all you payed for it? What does "TV or Home" mean?Originally posted by Fishy
Are you so sure? Have you ever been sad or happy after hearing a song. A song can influence your entire mood and often does. Ever decided to do something after seeing a movie on a certain subject? A lot of people have... They are not doing something because the movie star says "Do this and do that" but because the movie the actor plays in makes them think about certain things. Movies can influence the minds of billions. They can make people accept or hate things, they can make people like or hate things. A great movie about the torturing of prisoners would make a lot of people wonder about prison guards and might even start a riot about it. A great movie about how good prisons are put in a realistic picture might make people believe that.
Its what happens with movies. Its what they do. They influence people, whether they like it or not. Is my mood influenced by music? Not especially no. It's actually more the opposite. The only truly challenging films are usually independently made - in which the actors are paid a pittance compared to what they normally receive (which only goes to further emphasise societies misplaced values) - rarely does a big studio actually produce something of great merit other than entertainment value. They are statistical outliers rather than the standard fare for which movie stars get paid fortunes. Even then it takes a whole lot more than a "great movie" to convince me of anything. But hey, I'm a highly cynical person.

What epiphany did "Mary-Kate and Ashley's Beach Vacation in France" give you? stick out tongue

Bardock42
What does "TV or Home" mean?Is my mood influenced by music? Not especially no. It's actually more the opposite. The only truly challenging films are usually independently made - in which the actors are paid a pittance compared to what they normally receive (which only goes to further emphasise societies misplaced values) - rarely does a big studio actually produce something of great merit other than entertainment value. They are statistical outliers rather than the standard fare for which movie stars get paid fortunes. Even then it takes a whole lot more than a "great movie" to convince me of anything. But hey, I'm a highly cynical person.

What epiphany did "Mary-Kate and Ashley's Beach Vacation in France" give you? stick out tongue

Sorry I must have forgotten to use my head...I meant TV or Theatres.

"Mary Kate and...." hmm I think that changed my live in a way that I will never watch a movie by them again....so it influenced my live (I actually haven't seen it just giving a possible influence)

Fishy
What does "TV or Home" mean?Is my mood influenced by music? Not especially no. It's actually more the opposite. The only truly challenging films are usually independently made - in which the actors are paid a pittance compared to what they normally receive (which only goes to further emphasise societies misplaced values) - rarely does a big studio actually produce something of great merit other than entertainment value. They are statistical outliers rather than the standard fare for which movie stars get paid fortunes. Even then it takes a whole lot more than a "great movie" to convince me of anything. But hey, I'm a highly cynical person.

Well you might not be influenced then but countless of other people are... And I never even see that movie nor do I want to. Still the point remains, a lot of people are influenced by movies and music. That makes the people that make the movies and music important to society. And thus worth a lot of money.

xmarksthespot
Sorry I must have forgotten to use my head...I meant TV or Theatres.

"Mary Kate and...." hmm I think that changed my live in a way that I will never watch a movie by them again....so it influenced my live (I actually haven't seen it just giving a possible influence) I don't pay for movies that play on TV. I only recall seeing four movies at the theatres in the last six months - two of them my friend paid for, but two I paid for me and my gf at the time - so it balances out as me paying for 4 I guess. I'm not big on movies at cinemas - it seems like a waste of money to me.
Well you might not be influenced then but countless of other people are... And I never even see that movie nor do I want to. Still the point remains, a lot of people are influenced by movies and music. That makes the people that make the movies and music important to society. And thus worth a lot of money. An inflated worth in a strange society with starnged values imo. That movie title I made up... just to point out how much complete and utter crap is out there that people will pay for. Going now but feel free to argue amongst yourselves big grin.

Fishy
Still those two are rolemodels for some people so that makes them worth something. Although nothing to most people with a brain. Just goes to show how much people don't have a brain.

And i'm not going to argue with bardock, we agree on this.. There really isn't any use to continue this debate if we have nobody to debate against.

Bardock42
I know you don*t pay for them on TV I DVDs you b ought or Videos or whatever .....and four movies......now lets say twenty million others did pay for four movies too.....pretty big amount of money (and four is an extremly low level) But anyway Movies and with that the Celebrities were worth aboot 30 bucks for you this year tht is a big amount of money, it adds up.....especially since you probably pay that on a yearly bases..now on the other hand how muich did you pay for the Nurses in your hospital in the last year........

Besidxes if you watch a Movie at the TV..yous till bring them money bevcause of comercials and what not....but it is a rather easy to understand and working system....

xmarksthespot
Why are you still measuring everything in terms of how much people pay for them? There's a big difference between monetary value of a profession and the value a profession provides to society, it's benefit to humanity, how productive it is, the wealth of knowledge encompassed within. There's a whole other level of value professions such as doctors, nurses, teachers, scientists have that an actor doesn't - and yet in monetary value an A-list actor probably earns 150+ times what a teacher does in a year, for a single movie. I know you're going to argue that movies impact influence people's lives etc. and are worth something to those people - but answer this then: Which would have a greater impact on humanity (humanity as a whole not Orlando Bloom fangirls or Jessica Alba fanboys) - if all the doctors were to drop dead in one day, or if all the A-list movie stars were to drop dead?

If you answer "movie stars" then society really really has misplaced values.

pr1983
I just wish those actors who are being paid obscene amounts of money actually had some talent... sad

Fishy
Why are you still measuring everything in terms of how much people pay for them? There's a big difference between monetary value of a profession and the value a profession provides to society, it's benefit to humanity, how productive it is, the wealth of knowledge encompassed within. There's a whole other level of value professions such as doctors, nurses, teachers, scientists have that an actor doesn't - and yet in monetary value an A-list actor probably earns 150+ times what a teacher does in a year, for a single movie. I know you're going to argue that movies impact influence people's lives etc. and are worth something to those people - but answer this then: Which would have a greater impact on humanity (humanity as a whole not Orlando Bloom fangirls or Jessica Alba fanboys) - if all the doctors were to drop dead in one day, or if all the A-list movie stars were to drop dead?

If you answer "movie stars" then society really really has misplaced values.

The doctors of course...

But that does not change a thing...

We have plenty of doctors and plenty of movies. But we need to stay entertained we need to keep those movies. We pay far more for a doctor then we do for a movie. But there are more doctors then there are moviestars. In total we pay the moviestar a lot more then a doctor just because tens of millions pay that single star and only a thousand pay that single doctor.

If that one movie star would die it would make a greater impact then if that one doctor would die. Simply because more people know the movie star.

whobdamandog
Actually they do....because they are wioth that amount of money to someone. The communistic ideal of equality is a scary scenario, why should everyone have the same...maybe I am crazy but Christian Bale that entertained me a good 2 hours in the batman movie is worth my ten bucks while some beggar on the streets of Delhi just isn't...if he is worth that for you great...go ahead...give him your money....but it's a free universe and I don't think I should be forced to adapt your set of values.

It's a "free" universe huh? Well using your own logic..what's to stop me from taking your movie money if I believe my life to be of more value than yours?

The style of thought demonstrated above and in Bardock's initial post is libertarian. The problem with the libertarian political idealogy is that everyone's value system is different. With no central moral code to go by, each individual is free to impose their values at the expense of taking away anothers. A true liberatarian society is conducive to producing an anarchic one.

Which leads us back to the initial question..

Why are movie stars celeberaties?

Answer: Because most modern societies are based on Libertarian idealogies. These idealogies value individuals who have much in the way of externals. Most in this type of society are always attempting to reach this delusional-self centered state of worth..and "celebrate" those who are able to achieve it.

Bardock42
Originally posted by whobdamandog
It's a "free" universe huh? Well using your own logic..what's to stop me from taking your movie money if I believe my life to be of more value than yours?

The style of thought demonstrated above and in Bardock's initial post is libertarian. The problem with the libertarian political idealogy is that everyone's value system is different. With no central moral code to go by, each individual is free to impose their values at the expense of taking away anothers. A true liberatarian society is conducive to producing an anarchic one.

Which leads us back to the initial question..

Why are movie stars celeberaties?

Answer: Because most modern societies are based on Libertarian idealogies. These idealogies value individuals who have much in the way of externals. Most in this type of society are always attempting to reach this delusional-self centered state of worth..and "celebrate" those who are able to achieve it.

What keeps you from that?...well maybe y shotgun or the people that have the same state of mind than you...I don't say that you can't take my money I can say though that I don't want and that I will do whatever I can so you won't.......misunderstanding my ligic here, eh?

The thoughts indeed arte libertarian...the problem you stated though is not true....and it is not true because we have our own morals every one has their own.....but they are guided by rules.

I guess by the way you talk aboot libertarian you are a socialist...maybe you do have a morals....but they suck.....

whobdamandog
What keeps you from that?

The laws and the punishment that I receive upon breaking them. A society's laws are authoritative "value systems" imposed onto the individuals that live within it.

True libertarians believe that there should be no central value system that governs a culture, and that an individual should be able to freely govern themselves.

No misunderstanding here. The scenarios that both of us have given would be typical ones in an anarchic/libertarian society. "Everyman for himself" and "Survival of the fittest" being the only moral codes abided by.

Rules are moral codes. There is no distinction between the two. Some moral codes have authority over many, like the ones used to govern a nation.

Not a socialist..just an independent-dependent thinker. Independent when it comes to the choices I make, and dependent upon the outcomes of the choices once they've been made.

RedAlertv2
Celebrities are celebrities becuase they have a job that naturally puts them at the fron of mainstream entertainment. When millions of people know who you are, its tough not to be famous. It has nothing to do with whether or not they deserve such fame.

Anoushka
Soldiers....NOW...THAT'S WHAT WE SHOULD BE LOOKING UP TO.......

you really should go read up some real war literature books and go find out the truth behind all that propaganda roll eyes (sarcastic)

^to add to that guy,they also make themselves so completely at the mercy of us,it's like they expose their work to us,their hearts,and don't know what to expect - acceptance,or rejection.

like how,after opening up your heart to a girl you've yearned for for so long,you put yourself at her mercy - you either get her or you get a broken heart.and i personally feel,after going through so much to put themselves out there,they go deserve something.if what they give is really worthy,they ought to be given more.cause they're doing what the average person only dreams of,but does nothing about.

Bardock42
Originally posted by whobdamandog
The laws and the punishment that I receive upon breaking them. A society's laws are authoritative "value systems" imposed onto the individuals that live within it.

True libertarians believe that there should be no central value system that governs a culture, and that an individual should be able to freely govern themselves.

No misunderstanding here. The scenarios that both of us have given would be typical ones in an anarchic/libertarian society. "Everyman for himself" and "Survival of the fittest" being the only moral codes abided by.

Rules are moral codes. There is no distinction between the two. Some moral codes have authority over many, like the ones used to govern a nation.

Not a socialist..just an independent-dependent thinker. Independent when it comes to the choices I make, and dependent upon the outcomes of the choices once they've been made.

Exactly, not I am keeping yoyu from that...go ahead...do as you please.....but maybe you should consider the consequences.

This is not true.....what you are talking aboot is anarchist, close but different. Libertarians belief that there should only be a weak government, as much freedom as possible, but there have to be laws to keep everything stable.....few laws indeed...but some.

Again wrong understanding of libertarian (now you probably will claim to be a professor on that or something, I don't care, I know what I and people that consider themself real liberals belief.) And what I am saying is not what happens in a liberal society, but what is human nature, survival of the fittest is the true natur of humans and the system they got opressed in changes...not their own behaviour.

No sir, there is a big difference between morals codes and rules. Moral Code is soething that society or each individual makes up but they don't have to be kept, there won't be the same consequences as if rules are broken. Rules, or in a government laws, are now the real deal, they might be based on these fictional morals, but most probably they are just another way of keeping everything the way the government wants. Now if rules are broken you will get punished, that's what libertarians agree to, just the Moral Code is not existant it is a fake, everyone can have their own morrals as long as they keep the riules of the government.

Haha, you are funny......we talked aboot forms of government and you answer with ...wll....whatever your answer is supposed to imply. I guess you thought it sounded good, but really, didn't you just state the wya every huan must think, naturally?

xmarksthespot
Do Tinkerbell and Bitbit "deserve" the exorbitant amounts of money their respective idiot owners, Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, spend on them?
http://www.pawluxuries.com/images/editorial/bitbit/britney02.jpg
http://blogs.public.fr/chihuashuasSTARS/images/0.jpg
Chihuahuas = ugliest dogs ever.

Bardock42
Do Tinkerbell and Bitbit "deserve" the exorbitant amounts of money their respective idiot owners, Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, spend on them?
http://www.pawluxuries.com/images/editorial/bitbit/britney02.jpg
http://blogs.public.fr/chihuashuasSTARS/images/0.jpg
Chihuahuas = ugliest dogs ever.

Yes, also they are dogs I will try to make the line clear to you.

Stupid Dog - worth million dollars to - Paris Hilton .- worth billion Dollars to - her father - worth billion dollars to - the customers of his hotels .....

Other stupid Dog - worth million dollars to - Britney Spears - worth billiuon dollars to - her stupid fans that usually are between 12 and 15 - worth some money to - their parents - worth some money to there employers or customers .....

Round and round it goes and no one knows, but the system flows......it is beautiful

xmarksthespot
Yes, also they are dogs I will trty to make the line clear to you.

Stupid Dog - worth million dollars to - Paris Hilton .- worth billion Dollars to - her father - worth billion dollars to - the customers of his hotels .....

Other stupid Dog - worth million dollars to - Britney Spears - worth billiuon dollars to - her stupid fans that usually are between 12 and 15 - worth some of money to - their parents - worth some money to there employers or customers .....

Round and round it goes and no one knows, but the system flows......uit is beautiful So you're still measuring everything in terms of monetary value? And still refuse to accept that the monetary value placed on the profession "Paris Hilton's dog" is inflated, much like the value of profession "Idiot" (Paris Hilton) is inflated, much like the value of profession "movie star" is inflated. Thus "deserve" is an inaccurate word to describe the amounts of money they receive for the quality and quantity of work that they do.
You haven't answered my question. What is more detrimental to humanity - if every A-list movie star were to drop dead tomorrow or if every doctor on the planet were to drop dead?

Bardock42
So you're still measuring everything in terms of monetary value? And still refuse to accept that the monetary value placed on the profession "Paris Hilton's dog" is inflated, much like the value of profession "Idiot" (Paris Hilton) is inflated, much like the value of profession "movie star" is inflated. Thus "deserve" is an inaccurate word to describe the amounts of money they receive for the quality and quantity of work that they do.
You haven't answered my question. What is more detrimental to humanity - if every A-list movie star were to drop dead tomorrow or if every doctor on the planet were to drop dead?

So you still take some transzendent system of value as logical and don't just take it as what it really is, the value of one person for something else.......

Money really doesn't play a role in it...no one deserves oney...money juist is....nothing more.....it is not positive or negative it is juist a cold hard fact......If Paris Hilton, loves her dog really a lot she can use everything she has which often is based on the value of other people for her, on that stupid thing.

It's not that the Dog deserves the mo0ney more than a starving kid, nreithe4r of them actually deserves anything if you don't connect it with value....that is the only real definition of deserve, because all others are fictional and made up by some moral code that a few agree to but that surely isn't Metaphysical.

xmarksthespot
What does "transzendent" mean?
You still haven't answered the question.

Bardock42
What does "transzendent" mean?
You still haven't answered the question.

I might have misspelled it but I belief it means outside of the real...like absolute.....higher than our realm......I indeed misspelled it, the real word is Transcendent

And I am not aware of a question that I have not answered.....what would that be?

xmarksthespot
Well, I've asked it twice before...
What would be more detrimental to humanity - if all the A-list actors were to drop dead tomorrow or if all the doctors on planet were to drop dead?

debbiejo
I might have misspelled it but I belief it means outside of the real...like absolute.....higher than our realm......I indeed misspelled it, the real word is Transcendent

And I am not aware of a question that I have not answered.....what would that be?

Whooooo Transcendent!!!!.....you should visit the RF....you can transcend there.

xmarksthespot
Whooooo Transcendent!!!!.....you should visit the RF....you can transcend there. Transcend to devotion to the Spot?

debbiejo
Transcend to devotion to the Spot?

It's been soooooo long since I've sensed Spot? sad

Bardock42
Well, I've asked it twice before...
What would be more detrimental to humanity - if all the A-list actors were to drop dead tomorrow or if all the doctors on planet were to drop dead?

That is a question that doesn't have anything to do with the topic.

If all Doctors should die humanity most probably would suffer a severe loss of lives.......now I am not the one to judge if that is good or bad because there is not good and bad.

My personal understand ing is that I'd prefer a doctor over an actor..... but that doesn't interfere with my notion that money shows the added worth of tjhe person. I might pay 2000$ for doctors while I only spend 100$ for Movies....but there are a lot more doctors in the world than A-Class movie stars...that's why they get more money.....for me the proffession Doctor is more valueable than the proffession Movie Star, for all of humankind a single Movie Stars are worth more thasn a single doctor

Agasin let me trys an analogy.

Let'S say we have a Group A that consists of two Kid As and we have a group B that consists of 20 Kid Bs.

Now I have 100 Apples and I give Group A 30 of them and Group B 70, so I value Group B more than Gropup A (apple wise...i might morally have different feelings who knows)

But now let's see.

Every Kid A has 15 Apples
but
Every Kid B only has 3.5 Apples

and that is the difference.

Whooooo Transcendent!!!!.....you should visit the RF....you can transcend there.

Different kind of Transcendent I am talking aboot.

xmarksthespot
my notion that money shows the added worth of tjhe person.erm right...
for all of humankind a single Movie Stars are worth more thasn a single doctorA far greater wealth of knowledge, direct tangible benefit to people's lives and direct tangible detriment to the productivity and wellbeing of a society is lost. The benefits of a single movie star to humankind are highly dubious.

debbiejo
xmark where's spot?????....

Bardock42
Wll what can i say...I a a capitalist.

Now, now...easy there...."benefit to humankind" is something quite hard to define.....what do you belief to be benefit to humankind...one might claim a mass mujrderer in China might be beneficial because the world population decreases.....one might claim a war is beneficial to humankind because of the advances in science....I personally have to say I don't know what is beneficial to humankind...if there actually is something beneficial. So I at least can't really measure who is worth more to humanking since there ar twow many factors that have to be considered and defined.

debbiejo
Wll what can i say...I a a capitalist.

OK...What's the capital of California? laughing out loud

Bardock42
haha.....funny......Sacramento....no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.