Where were you the day the towers fell?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

i was at school across the river from them and watched them fall. On this 4th anniversary remember the dead.

Where were you?

Captain REX
I was at home in California, watching them fall over the television, and then I had to go to school, riiight after they fell. I didn't really grasp it at the time, being 13. I don't suppose I really cared that much then. Didn't understand what it meant. Just knew that someone was going to get their ass kicked for it.

Damn, 113, you beat me to it.

RogerRamjet
at the time, i was in the army, i was sleeping in the barracks at HQ, after my night shift, it was 3.30 pm cet, and when it was clear that it was a terrorist attack, red alert was called and we all were sent to arms, and secured the base..so actually i haven't seen them collapse on live TV..only several hours later

GCG
I was in bed -

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I was waiting tables in 5* inn on Nantucket. As it was happening, I relayed the news to one of the guests, who immediately left the dining room. I later found out he was employed at the Pentagon.

When we were watching it on TV, I remember remarking to the chef that it was either a group related to Timothy McVeigh or Osama Bin Laden. I even said that I hope it was McVeigh-related, because if it's Bin Laden then there's going to be some revenge-wars...

ElectricBugaloo
just got to high school, junior year, first block archaeology, and i heard a plane crashed into a building in new york.

in between the time my class left the classroom and the when we arrived in the library, the second plane hit. then the others hit in that same class period.

Lana
I was in my sophomore chemistry class, second period.

fini
I was just coming back from the Engineering Dept, after trying to get into the Geology class, even though I wasn't even in that faculty.

Afro Cheese
9th grade computer class in North Carolina. I didn't really get what the big deal was cause I had never heard of the World Trade Center before... until I found out that the WTC is the same thing as the Twin Towers, which I used to be able to see from the roof of my grandad's apartment in the Bronx.

koolkat21
I was a junior in high school, and I was in my health class and remembered our principal announced on the PA what had happened. That was when the planes had hit the buildings. Then our teacher turned on the radio and we listened to the news about what was happening, and a little while later heard them announce that the towers had collapsed. The next period, our teacher brought a tv in the room and we watched as they replayed the towers falling. All I know is that it is something I, (or anyone else for that matter), will always, always have that horrible day in my head, but I mean when I say, GOD BLESS AMERICA, for we are the strong ones and Osama can go burn in you know where!!

Snoopbert
I was in my 6th grade first period Math class, watching them live fall. We skipped the lesson that period and just watched the news erm

Lana
Basically every class I was in the rest of the day we were listening to the radio or watching the news.....

pr1983
At home watching spanish football on sky sports...

when the first one hit a scrolling message came onscreen, i assumed it was an accident, so didnt think to change the channel... when i saw a second one had hit i thought "better have a look" it wasnt something i thought i'd ever see happen before my eyes, even if it was on tv...

Commando Queen
Originally posted by Lana
Basically every class I was in the rest of the day we were listening to the radio or watching the news.....
same here.. and one teacher was crying cuz someone she knew was in the bulding.. but lucky fo that person they had the day off or something.. she was so freaked.. i felt bad for her

bilb
was on my way to walmart to go shopping & have the oil changed in my car.. i heard a report about the first plane on talk radio & called home.. i seriously thought it was a WOTW type prank.. when i got to Walmart & dropped my car off I just sat there watching the TV with about 50 other people.. noone said a word for what seemed like forerver

Imaginary
Just woke up, and about to go to school. I thought it was just another stupid thing that'd blow over soon. At school, all we talked about during the day was the towers.

Ast
I was just leaving English class(my first class) when someone told the teacher to turn on the TV, the rest of the classes that day where nothing but sitting around watching the news.

I was supposed to go to the WWE Smackdown taping that night here in Houston, but it got pushed back until Thursday, it was the first big public event after it happened I believe. That was an amazing night, the crowd brought tears to my eyes.

DeVi| D0do
I was in bed... I woke up in the morning and heard the TV on, which was odd because the TV is never on in the morning. Then I saw them tumble.

DarkYoda
I was getting ready to leave for school and had the TV on... and saw everything!

I was late to class (senior) and when I got there they were watching the news also. Then the first tower fell.

I remember everything about that day.

Captain REX
All I remember is BOOM. messed

fantasygirl
I think I was still asleep or I was up getting ready for school and my parents were watching and I were watching it on TV. erm

debbiejo
I was sitting on my couch reading....when my friend called and told me to turn on the TV.....saying "We're under attack and my brothers in NY!"

Bardock42
I was in Munich shoppinbg with my family.....I saw it on a big screen in the Train Station I believe (I usually can*'t remember what I did more than two years back)

Fishy
I was at school... In a boring class. Didn't find out until break didn't see anything about it until two three hours later when I came home... Unfortunally it was also the only thing I saw for four days on TV.

piccola_nuvola
I was watching tv, and after getting bored of cartoons I started zapping...and then I saw the towers and the smoke, and I thought 'hey, here's a good movie'. Well, it wasn't so good...'cuz it was not a movie. After a while I heard the voice of the newsman. It just seemed so unreal that something like that had happened! sad

Deano
in school.

jaden101
at work...one of the biggest "where were you the day the..." days in history...and i was putting cabbages on shelf

Otaku
I just got out of school.My parents were watching it when i came home with my little brother.I didnt really understand or care,being eleven at the time.

manny321
I live In Toronto.
I was in grade nine French class when my home teacher came and talked to the other teacher. All the teachers got outside and were talking and then the principle came and told them to tell their classes. The teacher came and said the WTC was hit by a plane. People were wondering was it like the first bombing or was it more serious. We put on the radio and they said the WTC is falling. The teacher yelled "what the hell". Most of the class was stunned and i was like what the hell just happened. Most of the day the teacher tried to teach class but we got more news. Pentagon was hit. When we got that news the teacher said "guys you know those events that change history? One of those just happened." The US is under attack everyone thought. The 2nd tower fell and when that happened we were sent home an 2 hours early. Very few knew what happened until we went home where my grandmother (who does not watch news ever) was glued saying "the US is under attack." My dad came home and we all got glued to the TV for at least 6 hours. The video of the planes hitting the tower and them falling will never leave my head.

T.M
i was just about to leave for school when i saw it on TV.

then i went to school.

Fianna
At school..I found out when I got home, about three hours later. I was thirteen then and my friends mum who was giving us a lift home said someone had flown a plane into the Twin Towers and as I had no idea what they were or the magnitude of it, I said "that was a bit stupid of them" ..and then I got home and saw it on TV and realised how terrible it was..

X-Menfan87
At home watching TV ,my mom started flipping through channels and thats when we saw it. I couldn't believe it these planes were flying strait into the twin towers.
I remember alot of that day.

OB1-adobe
I was in college algebra at 7 A.M

It was a 2 hour class, and after our mid break one of the other students came in and said an airplane crashed into the world trade center.

Everyone wanted to go see what was going on, but my stupid teacher didn't think it was going to be a big deal.

she said somethinglike- "well thats no reason for us to stop doing math" then the next class day she came back looking like an idiot and was like-
"well the midterm is post poned, due to this tragic event"

she wasn't a very smart lady.

Capt_Fantastic
I had actually just woken up. I was in NC at the time and had just rolled out from under someone I had met the night before. I snuck out of the house and jumped in my car to head home. I like to listen to talk radio in teh morning and had turned on the local new/talk station. I forget the banal topic they were disussing, but the host of the program interrupted the conversation and mentioned that reports were that a plane had hit one of the towers. At that point, reports were unclear and the host reported that it was most likely a prop plane. Of course, my first reaction was "what dumb-ass accidentally ran into the world trade center?!" By the time I had gotten to my house and turned on the TV, it was clear that it was no prop plane and that it was no accident. I believe that the seond plane had hit by that point. So, much like the rest of the country...I spent the rest of the day watching events unfold. So, I can remember very clearly watching the first tower collapse, live on tv.

The scary part for me, was that I had lived in NYC not too long before that and had been in the towers when my mother came to visit me. That was where she took this picture.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by 113
i was at school across the river from them and watched them fall. On this 4th anniversary remember the dead.

Where were you?

I was at middle school

DanieLs_4_Ever
Originally posted by 113

Where were you?
School, first period, 7th grade.

Julie
I was just headed to physics class when the towers were hit...we went to the teacher's lounge and listened to the radio the entire period...the first tower collapsed someitme around third period I think...English if I recall correctly

BackFire
I was sleeping, it was my first semester of college so I didn't have school till like 12. My mom came in and said "we're under attack", I thought she meant that some people were trying to get into the house or something.

I turned on the TV and saw the second building fall. I didn't bother going to school that day, just watched the news. One of my friends came over and we discussed it.

big gay kirk
I was at work... just arrived back at the store, went to the furniture department to sort out the deliveries for the day after, and went through the tv dept on the way... no-one was really watching, cos the volume was right down on all the sets, and they, like me, thought it was just some crap jingoistic American movie.... Then on the way home, I turned on the radio in the car, heard it on the news, and thought, that's funny... they were showiing a film about that earlier... then I twigged....

i remember hearing tons of fire engines and police cars all around, some passed by the block my school is on...and they just kept coming, i must of heard 20-30 different sirens for about 30 minutes pass by and undoubtedly some of those cars and trucks that i heard and the people in them never came back.

RedAlertv2
My friends told me about it in the car on the way to elementary school. I thought they were kidding, and I tried to crack some dumbass joke, but then every one looked all serious at me and I knew they were telling the truth

BlackC@t
I was in bed sleeping.

In my country it was night time yes

The Highlord
Just got home from school, and my dad said ''The towers are falling in NY'' I didint know what he meant, then turned on the tv and was pretty shocked

Spelljammer
SpellJammer wokeup scratching his belly, asking mom what movie she was watching, she said "it's not movie", SpellJammer processes that half asleep and says "Oh.." and laughs on the inside.. They should attack the blue states more often..

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Spelljammer
SpellJammer wokeup scratching his belly, asking mom what movie she was watching, she said "it's not movie", SpellJammer processes that half asleep and says "Oh.." and laughs on the inside.. They should attack the blue states more often..

Why do you write in third person?

I was at home. I went to work late that day. No one was working, they were all gathered around TV sets.

*Sweet~Revenge*
I woke up that morning like a normal day and my mom was watching TV. It was weird cause she was crying...........so i looked at the TV and knew Wat it was cause you can see all the fires and the smoke and even people jumping out of windows................it was devistating.crybaby

SaTsuJiN
the towers were right across the water from me.. I was in computer science class.. someone next to me kept saying "I cant believe they're gone.." and I was like.. "the hell are you talkin about.." so after class got out, I walked to the corner of the block and looked down towards the water and there was a huge pillar of smoke.. the only thing I could really think to myself is that things could only get worse from here on in, and I took the bus back to my hometown.

Wonderer
Yeah, countries like the bossy USA needs a bit of a shaking of their high and mighty heads every no and again.

Wonderer
But in my heart I do feel sorow for the innocent victims.

*Sweet~Revenge*
Yeah those poor people

*Sweet~Revenge*
sadsadsadsadsadsadsadsad

botankus
Originally posted by Wonderer
Yeah, countries like the bossy USA needs a bit of a shaking of their high and mighty heads every no and again.
That's great of you to say...BTW, I'm glad this happened too!

South Africa stadium tragedy
April 12, 2001

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1270000/images/_1274065_boyap300.jpg
A man and a boy mourn over bodies laid out on the pitch at Ellis Park stadium
A stampede at a football stadium in Johannesburg results in the deaths of 43 people, making it the worst disaster of its kind in South Africa's sporting history.

Bardock42
Oh god Botankus.....that is a good come back...I thought aboot saying something aboot that...but well...it's not my country he insulted.

botankus
Well, it's not a very good comeback, but that's the best I could do so early in the morning. I guess I'll have to find something else that has happened to South Africa in the last 10,000 years that anybody gave two sh*ts about. That could take all week.

Bardock42
Originally posted by botankus
Well, it's not a very good comeback, but that's the best I could do so early in the morning. I guess I'll have to find something else that has happened to South Africa in the last 10,000 years that anybody gave two sh*ts about. That could take all week.

Ouch......you are getting better....good that nothing ever happened in Germany...just in case I might piss you off one day.

botankus
Aha! Found something.

Tennis: Kiefer eliminated in US Open

New York, USA. German professional tennis player Nicolas Kiefer is the last remaining German to be knocked out of the US Open. In the eighth-finals, he lost to Roger Federer of Switzerland, with 1-3 sets. He gave some strong competition to those players at the top of the world rankings.

Bardock42
Oh dude...that was low.....what next? You find that unfair Goal in the world cup 66......I lost all my respect for you stick out tongue

botankus
And now for the ultimate insult: stick out tongue

GERMANY: Volkswagen Concept R is "go"
23 Sep 2004
Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Article Summary:
Volkswagen's Concept R show car unveiled at last September's Frankfurt motor show is going into production, according to AutoWeek magazine.

Bardock42
Hm...I have to admit that we in Gerany are so brainwashed as to think our cars are good....so that sounds positive to me stick out tongue

debbiejo
Originally posted by Bardock42
Hm...I have to admit that we in Gerany are so brainwashed as to think our cars are good....so that sounds positive to me stick out tongue

Bad heating system.....inside windows freeze up.....

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
Bad heating system.....inside windows freeze up.....

BEST CARS IN THE WORLD mad

debbiejo
Originally posted by Bardock42
BEST CARS IN THE WORLD mad
I have to scrape the inside of my windows.......BAD CAR!

Bardock42
I have to scrape the inside of my windows.......BAD CAR!

What car do you own?

debbiejo
Not one anymore....but had an old opel (sp?)...and also VW.

Bardock42
Not one anymore....but had an old opel (sp?)...and also VW.

Yes....well Germany is so big on cars that we even maske crappy cars for people that want them...you probably bought one of them...

If you want good cars look for BMW, Audi or Mercedes.

Bicnarok

Capt_Fantastic

Ulven
I had just finished school and heard as I entered the school bus something about a "giant ball of flames" on the radio, but I wasn't really listening.

When I got home I sat down in front of the TV and started zapping through the various channels. When I reached CNN I saw the live broadcast about the plane that had just crashed into one of the towers. And after watching for a while, the second plane flew right into the other tower.

I couldn't believe what I saw. The rest of the day I spent zapping between CNN, BBC and the Norwegian newschannels.

eleveninches
I was in my further math's class at college, and I remember somebody coming into the classroom to tell us about it. I think it was a tuesday, wasnt it?

mechmoggy
I was driving to a sub-contract wire eroding company in Birmingham when I heard the news on the radio.

It's very odd that I remember that so clearly. confused

Alpha Centauri
Yeah it was Tuesday, I had Tae Kwon Do.

I was just coming out of school, walking to the gate. My friend ran up to me and said "Someone has flown a plane into the twin towers" (apparantly it had came to the teachers attention and they saw fit to broadcast it in the school).

I didn't know what he meant so I walked home (about a minute down the road) and my mum, couple of cousins etc were watching it.

When I watched it and started to realise just what had happened, it was the only public event that actually brought tears to my eyes. For the simple reason that I started hearing about how partners were jumping from the buildings holding hands etc. Horrific.

Just a normal day at work, then that.

-AC

magic_hate_ball
at home getting ready for work when i saw the second plane hit and the flurry of reports about the pentagon and all that...cry

Enslaved
I was pregnant with 6 weeks left to go..thinking oh Gawd..

eleveninches
I wasnt brought to tears. It was a sad event, but IMO it was only a matter of time before somebody struck at america

darth-yoda
i was off school in my house and i turned the telle over and seen it on tv i thought it was a movie untill there was the news thing i was wtf wtf wtf omg

Sadako of Girth
I was round a buddies place playing chess and smoking a little with some Bob Marley on the speakers.......
Then my freind got the phone call from his brother and I could hear was his reactions to what he was being told:..."Really? How many dead...? ...Jesus......" etc..... He made a couple of drinks and he started saying about people flying planes into buildings in America....

So then the TV gets put on there it is across like 4 of our 5 terrestrial channels were showing the 2nd tower collapse live, and then repeated images of the 2nd plane hitting earlier.... I went home shortly after and got straight in at home to follow the updates on tv... I didn't sleep for that night....

FeceMan
Not to sidetrack the thread, but an experiment was conducted with people who lived during the time the Challenger exploded. They were asked where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news. Then they were asked again years later...some of the answers they got were interesting.

One woman heard about it over lunch, but she "remembered" that someone had run screaming through her dorm about the explosion.

occultus
@ home, watching it on CNN.

occultus
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I'm not going to down play that tragedy of 60,000 people dying. But this was the fault of direct human actions.... That changes things a bit.

Oh yeah? Well then how come the Asian tsumani got so much attention while the slaughter of Kurds in Afghanistan went ignored, as well as various horrible atrocities that happen every day in Africa... dictators feed people to their crocodiles, for Christ's sake!

FeceMan
Originally posted by occultus
Oh yeah? Well then how come the Asian tsumani got so much attention while the slaughter of Kurds in Afghanistan went ignored, as well as various horrible atrocities that happen every day in Africa... dictators feed people to their crocodiles, for Christ's sake!
Because news was slow that day.

PunisherFan33
school watching CNN

manjaro
actually my dad woke me up with a phone call from work when the first one hit, then after talking on the phone for a few minutes while watching CBS i saw in realtime when the second one hit, i was like wow! strangely i thought it was all funny at first especally with the big plumes of dust and debris blasting down the streets and ppl were running all willy nilly

inthesilence
I was in French class, and we were watching on CNN. Everybody just kinda went silent, and then we saw the second plane hit. Some people in the class were crying. I didn't. I was just all like, "what the hell?"

DarkC
I was in Science class, and my science teacher was watching on CBC; we saw the first and then the second plane hit; no one talked, I was too shocked for words.

DenKi
I was in Science class and we saw it all, the bad thing was that we was all watching the planes crash and the teacher said too us, "Just look at all that Dust, it will take weeks to clear"

We all Left her

stunna1773
yea i was in 4th grade and i was at reces and trhey sent us into the school building and i had no clue until the principal said to turn on the news

Neo_Version 7
I wasn't at school yet. (school started the next day) I think I was watching World Sport and then they interrupted with Breaking News.

darthvader_fan
i was at the state fair

DarkC
Originally posted by DenKi
I was in Science class and we saw it all, the bad thing was that we was all watching the planes crash and the teacher said too us, "Just look at all that Dust, it will take weeks to clear"

We all Left her
Man, your teacher is heartless.

WickedTexasMomA
I was flying at the time up to Ohio...kind of weird when you land and everyone is freaking out on the ground....they even went through my luggage a second time..sure did take there time with my underwear bag tho.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by DarkC
Man, your teacher is heartless.

Why? She didn't say anything untrue and unless she said it in a sarcastic way, I suggest she meant it literally.

-AC

playmean
i was getting ready for work and the phone kept ringing.

"turn on the tv turn on the tv turn on the tv."

Dudester
I was eating breakfast watching the tv and my parents were there and I could not get in touch with them for hours -- really freaked out all day

DarkC
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Why? She didn't say anything untrue and unless she said it in a sarcastic way, I suggest she meant it literally.

-AC
No, I mean that many people are dying and she's thinking about the monumental amount of dust.

Alpha Centauri
Well, we don't know that she was. She might have just said it.

-AC

DarkC
True, but it might've been wiser to just have kept her mouth shut.

Darth Bloodlust
I saw it happen i was running late to my Job in the city and i saw it happen. I still have nightmares about it sometimes....

Hold me

DarkC
Originally posted by Darth Bloodlust
I saw it happen i was running late to my Job in the city and i saw it happen. I still have nightmares about it sometimes....

Hold me
There, there.

Darth Bloodlust
Seriously tho sumtimes i'll just be sitting there and i'll have a flashback or something and just breakdown crying!!! .......Its scary

DarkC
I've never had emotional stress to that magnitude. erm

Darth Bloodlust
Well i was just walking and then i looked up and the plane flew into the 1st tower and No-one around me noticed for the frist few minutes it was like i was the only one who could see it and that to me was the single most scaring thing thats ever happend to me!!

DarkC
That would have really scary....my knees would have probably given way.

Darth Bloodlust
It was slient there was no sound of explosion or anything it was slient thats mainly what scaredme about it!

DarkC
I would have imagined a big noise, at least a 'bump'.

Darth Bloodlust
There wasn't 1! Freaky!

DarkC
That must've been damn high up....you hightailed it out of there before it collapsed?

Darth Bloodlust
I called my mom to make sure she was ok and no-where near the towers and then she came and gave me a ride back to our house out in New Jersy and when we got back...They'd fallen.

So i was somewhere in between new york city and new jersy when the towers fell...

Omandy
I was in seventh grade at the time. I remember that day so well, it's really weird. I actually remember writing the date on my homework, it registering in my mind "Today's the 11th, nothing special happening today" I had no clue that that day was going to go down in history.
When the first plane hit I was in in health/gym class, we were learning about the circulatory system. The second plane hit when I was in Social Studies, we were studying for a quiz on the physical features of Africa. I didn't find out about the towers until my third period English class.

My teacher had passed out a work sheet for us to do. We had just barely started it when someone came running in and whispered into my teacher's ear. I remember that her face went pale as she quickly fumbled for the TV remote. As soon as she turned on the TV the first thing we saw were the two towers billowing with smoke. We didn't do much the rest of the day. I remember watching both of them fall, it was the most sobering sight I had ever seen. I'm never going to forget that.

My mom picked me up from school early that day, we sat glued to the TV for a week.

I remember thinking that we were going to go to war, I knew we would. For a while I even thought it was the end of the world.

Darth Bloodlust
Awwwwwwwwwwwww poor u! *Hugs*

FeceMan
Originally posted by DarkC
That would have really scary....my knees would have probably given way.
Your knees nearly give way over the Internet.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Darth Bloodlust
It was slient there was no sound of explosion or anything it was slient thats mainly what scaredme about it!

Um, are you saying that there was no sound...or you were so shocked that the world went silent?

Because you would have to have heard it, or you are lying.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Um, are you saying that there was no sound...or you were so shocked that the world went silent?

Because you would have to have heard it, or you are lying.
She just realized that she's deaf.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.